Bad Kreuznach, Germany
Bad Kreuznach military community had several kaserns. Rose Barracks was the Headquarters for the First Armor Division; the Post Office, Gym, Movie Theater, Bowling Alley, Burger King, Travel Agency, and In and Out Processing Center, were just a few things located on this kaserne.
The Main Exchange Complex is 3 blocks south of Rose Barracks and encompasses the Bank, Dry Cleaners, Main Exchange, Shoppette, Class 6, Commissary, Book Store, USO, and the Barber and Beauty Shop. The housing area is located one block from the Main Exchange Complex. There were 2-4 leased housing sites within the city limits of Bad Kreuznach with a 5-10 minute commute.
US Army Europe ceased operation in Bad Kreuznach and moved the 1st Armored Division to Wiesbaden by December 2001.
Hospital Kaserne is located 5 minutes by car from Rose Barracks; the CPO, the Medical, Dental and Veterinarian Services were offered at this site.
After Hitler's remilitarization of the Rheinland in 1936, the present Rose Barracks, originally named Hindenburg Kaserne, was constructed. The town became the home of an infantry regiment in 1937.
In 1951, after political boundaries between the three western zones had been eliminated, and a new self-governing German Federal Republic had been created, the U.S. Army returned to Bad Kreuznach. The U.S. 2nd Armored Division took over what was once Hindenburg Kaserne, and renamed it Maurice Rose Kaserne in honor of Maj. Gen. Maurice Rose, a hero of World War II. In 1957, the 2nd AD was replaced by the 8th Infantry Division. On Jan. 17, 1992, the 8th ID cased its colors and was redesignated as the 1st Armored Division.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|