1st Battalion, 195th Armor
The 195th Armor Battalion of the Nebraska National Guard, headquartered in Kearney, deactivated on Sunday September 2, 2001. The unit was redesignated as the 734th Transportation Battalion (Motor Support).
The inactivation and redesignation of the unit was made to maximize the training of National Guard units and to emphasize the ability of the National Guard to provide support services to combat or other Army troops.
The history of the unit can be traced back to June 1946 with the 128th Engineer Combat Battalion, a subordinate unit of the 34th Infantry Division which had been formed from both new and pre-existing units.
The unit was federally recognized in 1947 and then headquartered in Omaha, NE. It was reorganized and redesignated in 1953 as the 128th Engineer Battalion, relocating in 1959 to Kearney.
Four years later, in 1963, the battalion was relieved from its assignment to the 34th Infantry. It was redesiganted in 1968as the 195th Armor regiment, a parent regiment consisting of the 1st Battalion. It was again reorganized in 1978 and as a subordinate unit of the 67th Infantry Brigade.
The unit became assigned to the 35th Infantry Division in 1985. It was withdrawn in 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the U.S. Army Regimental System.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|