This military town of the Strategic Missile Forces in Western Siberia, which is 45 kilometers from Barnaul, impresses with its developed infrastructure, beauty, and vigorous activity, which literally holds the key here. To tell the truth, for these reasons - because of the large territory, built up with multi-storey buildings, supermarkets, social and cultural facilities and other attributes of the modern city - it is not called a military town, in any case, local residents. And called the city. The city of missilemen of the Barnaul missile of the Red Banner Order of Kutuzov and Alexander Nevsky of the Strategic Missile Forces division.
Although according to the documents of the administrative-territorial division of the Altai Territory, the Siberian Territory is referred to only as an urban-type settlement that received the status of a closed administrative-territorial entity (CATU) on the basis of a presidential decree of November 23, 1995. And in 2005, he gained another status - the urban district of the closed city of Siberia. Actually, this has opened up the usual military camp, of which there are dozens in Russia, broad prospects for development in a modern city with a corresponding socio-economic infrastructure.
Since 1996, the Council of Deputies has been functioning in the ZATO Siberian, which is engaged in law-making activities in the interests of the local population, and the executive power is exercised by the administration. Today, Sergei Dikikh works as chairman of the Council of Deputies, and the administration has been headed by Drachev for 13 years. By the way Under the Council of Deputies, the ZATO also created a youth parliament. The city has a municipal unitary enterprise, 10 municipal budgetary institutions and 122 small and micro enterprises.
The history of Siberia should not begin with the issuance of the presidential decree of November 23, 1995, but from 1979, when design and exploration work was deployed for the future deployment of the position area of ??the missile division. The division was to be redeployed here from the North Caucasus, brought into combat readiness and put on alert in short periods of time. At that time, the mobile compound consisted of mobile ground-based missile systems (PGRK) 15P653 with RSD-10 (Pioneer-UTTH) missiles. The chief commander of the Strategic Missile Forces, Chief Marshal of Artillery V.F. Tolubko. The construction of facilities began in 1980, and the first officers and builders who arrived here lived in tents and trailers. And only in November 1982, the first residential building for rocket officers was built here.
By the 30th anniversary of the settlement, by the decision of the local Council of Deputies dated June 23, 2010, the Statute on the Coat of Arms and the Flag of the Municipal Formation of the City District of the Closed Territorial Administrative Okrug of the Siberian Altai Territory was approved. These symbols are entered in the State Heraldic Register of the Russian Federation with the assignment of corresponding registration numbers. At the heart of the emblem in the form of a shield are depicted elements of the symbolism of the Strategic Missile Forces: bows, symbolizing launchers, and arrows like rockets. The bow is a heraldic symbol of Siberia for many centuries, hence the name of the settlement. The leaf of the poplar on the coat of arms indicates the name of the missile complex, which Altai strategists are armed with. The coat of arms is crowned with a golden crown in the form of a brick tower with five projections - this is a traditional pattern in the heraldry of the city district.
The city of Altai rocket men has repeatedly won the title “The Best Closed Administrative-Territorial Formation of the Strategic Missile Forces” with the award of a passing pennant. In 2016, after receiving this rank for three years in a row, the commander of the Strategic Missile Forces, Colonel-General Sergey Karakaev decided to leave the pennant in Siberia forever. But in 2017, ZATO was again recognized as the best among similar administrative-territorial units of the Strategic Missile Forces.
“We hope that this year our Siberian will again win this rank,” says the deputy commander of the Red Banner Barnaul Missile Order of Kutuzov and Alexander Nevsky of the Strategic Missile Forces division, Colonel Vitaly Ignatik.
Barbnaul - Background
The Barnaul District was famous for its fertility as well as for the rich minerals found there. The gold and silver mines, as well as the fine valuable quarries all belong to his Imperial Majesty the Czar, and naturally the chief inhabitants of the town are Government officials. The scenery in the neighbourhood of Barnaul is interesting, one catches glimpses of the snow-topped peaks of the Altai ranges, but after leaving Barnaul, there is nothing but steppe, until the eye wearies with the sameness.
In the late 19th Century Barnaul was a large town of 17,000 inhabitants, and was the center of the rich and important mining district of the Altai. It contained an unusual number of pretentious dwelling-houses and residences with columns and imposing facades, but most of them had fallen into decay. They were erected many years earlier, at a time when a mining officer of the Crown in Barnaul received 2000 or 3000 rubles a year as salary, and stole 100,000 rubles a year by means of "cooked" accounts, and when, according to tradition, he paid twice the amount of his own salary to a French governess for his children, and as much more to a French culinary chef, and sent his soiled linen to Paris by mail to be washed and starched.
The city of Barnaul is located on the left bank of the Ob River in the mouth of Barnaulka. Since September 28, 1937, Barnaul is the capital and administrative center of the Altai Territory. The date of the founding of the city is considered to be 1730, when on the initiative of Akinfiy Demidov the village of Barnaul copper-smelting plant was laid. In 1745 in St. Petersburg was printed "Atlas of Russia", which first marked the city of Barnaul.
The place at the confluence of the Barnaulka River in the Ob was once chosen by the clerks of the Urals mining company Akinfiya Demidova for the construction of a smelter. The location turned out to be very successful, the Barnaul silver smelter quickly gained momentum and pace. But soon the production of silver - currency metal - was forbidden to private breeders, and Demidov lost Altai enterprises. They went under the jurisdiction of the Cabinet of Her Imperial Majesty Elizabeth Petrovna and became the property of the royal family. In 1771, Barnaul received the status of a mountain city, the only city in Siberia and the second in Russia after Yekaterinburg.
All famous travelers who visited here in the late 18th and early 19th centuries noted the civilized nature of Barnaul, the high level of well-being and culture of its inhabitants, and scientific achievements. In 1823, the city opened the first local history museum in Western Siberia, in 1835 - the first magnetic meteorological observatory in Siberia. Stone churches were built, performances were regularly held in the "Theater House", there was a city orchestra. In the middle of the 19th century. P.P. Semenov-Tyan-Shansky enthusiastically called Barnaul "Siberian Athens".
After the extinction of silver-smelting production in the Altai, Barnaul began to rapidly turn from a mountainous town into a merchant town. By the beginning of the 20th century, it had the status of one of the largest commercial and industrial centers of Siberia, continuing to be the focus of cultural and scientific thought.
The absolute height above sea level is 130-250 m. The climate is continental. Geographical coordinates: 53 ° 22 'N and 83 ° 45' E. The absolute height above sea level is 130-250 m. The climate is continental, the average January temperature is -17.5 ° C, July + 19.8 ° C, the average annual precipitation is 477 mm.
The tourist and recreational cluster "Barnaul - the mining city" is formed within the federal target program "Development of domestic and incoming tourism in the Russian Federation (2011-2018)". The aim of the large-scale project is to form a widely popular tourist product on the basis of a unique historical and cultural heritage and thereby attract an additional flow of visitors to the capital of the region. The basis of the cluster was the historical part of Barnaul, along which popular tourist routes have already been laid. The concept of development of the tourist-recreational cluster "Barnaul - the mining city" includes two main directions: restoration of the historical part of the regional capital and development of business tourism.
Voronezh High Depot Readiness (HDR)
In the Altai Territory near Barnaul, construction of a new radar station of the missile attack warning system "Voronezh-DM" began, ITAR-TASS reported 06 June 2013. By July 1, 2013, a site for equipment installation had to be prepared, and the construction itself is planned to be completed by the end of 2016. At the same time, it is possible that radar combat duty may begin in a year and a half.
By December 1994 a total of 36 operational SS-25 ICBMs were deployed at Barnaul.
Sources and Methods
- Photographs and Site Diagrams Appended to the Memorandum of Understanding for the Treaty Between the United States of America and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics on the Elimination of Their Intermediate-Range and Shorter-Range Missiles, December 1987.
- Memorandum of Understanding Regarding the Establishment of the Data Base for the Treaty Between the United States of America and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics on the Elimination of Their Intermediate-Range and Shorter-Range Missiles, December 1987.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|