Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2010 United Nations News
2010 Global Special Weapons News
- Russia to propose UN General Assembly resolution on arms cuts RIA Novosti 29 Sep 2010 -- Russia is set to put forward a draft resolution on a new strategic arms reduction treaty at the UN General Assembly.
- Pakistan Takes Chair Of UN Nuclear Watchdog RFE/RL 27 Sep 2010 -- Pakistan has taken over the chair of the International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN's nuclear watchdog, despite that country's exclusion from a key atomic agreement.
- Pakistan elected Chairman of IAEA Board of Governors IRNA 27 Sep 2010 -- Pakistan was elected Monday as Chairman of the Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- Austria hails signs of progress towards nuclear disarmament at UN debate UN News Centre 25 Sep 2010 -- The world has made important progress towards nuclear disarmament in the past year, but United Nations Member States now need to build on that momentum and take steps to head towards an era without nuclear weapons, Austria’s Federal Minister for European and International Affairs said today.
- India, Japan, Brazil, Germany push for early UNSC reform IRNA 26 Sep 2010 -- India, Japan, Brazil and Germany- the aspirants for permanent representation in the UN Security Council pledged support to each others' candidature while agreeing to push ahead for an early expansion of the powerful body.
- Kazakhstan urges all UN members to endorse treaty banning nuclear tests UN News Centre 25 Sep 2010 -- Kazakhstan today urged all States that have not signed or ratified the United Nations-backed treaty banning nuclear testing to do so quickly, saying the entry into force of the pact will be an important step towards ridding humanity of the threat posed by nuclear weapons.
- African leaders call for permanent Security Council seat for the continent UN News Centre 24 Sep 2010 -- African leaders today called on the United Nations to grant the continent a permanent seat on the Security Council, declaring that 65 years after its founding the world body remains mired in the legacy of the past.
- Top UN officials urge countries to advance global disarmament talks UN News Centre 23 Sep 2010 -- Top United Nations officials today urged countries to build on recent achievements in the field of disarmament and to step up efforts to rid the world of weapons of mass destruction.
- Secretary-General calls for early end to nuclear testing worldwide UN News Centre 23 Sep 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on all countries to work together to rid the world of the nuclear threat and to bring about the early entry into force of the United Nations-backed treaty banning nuclear testing.
- Number of countries signing on to nuclear pact tops 100, UN agency reports UN News Centre 20 Sep 2010 -- More than 100 nations now allow the United Nations International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) greater access to information regarding their nuclear programmes, the head of the body announced today, urging countries still outside the process to join.
- UN official calls for stepped-up measures to deal with biological and chemical threats UN News Centre 20 Sep 2010 -- While United Nations Member States have a well-developed system established for preventing or responding to potential nuclear or radiological emergencies, similar measures are not in place for chemical and biological attacks and disasters, a senior UN anti-terrorism official has warned.
- IAEA Board of Governors meeting to begin in Vienna RIA Novosti 13 Sep 2010 -- The Board of Governors of the IAEA will start a regular meeting at the Agency's headquarters.
- IAEA chief welcomes outcome of nuclear treaty review conference UN News Centre 31 May 2010 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today welcomed the unanimous adoption at the end of the latest review of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) of a document which, among other things, contains steps towards achieving a nuclear-free Middle East.
- French President Backs Africa U.N. Security Council Seat VOA 31 May 2010 -- Kabiru Mato, professor of political science at Nigeria’s University of Abuja has welcomed a French pledge to support Africa’s representation on the U.N. Security Council.
- NPT Review Agrees Final Declaration RFE/RL 29 May 2010 -- The 189 member nations of the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) have agreed a document aimed at moving the world closer to nuclear disarmament.
- NPT states call for disarmament, nuclear weapons free Middle East IRNA 29 May 2010 -- Representatives of about 200 states signatories to the Non-Proliferation Treaty last night struck a deal on a series of small steps towards disarmament, including a 2012 conference to discuss a nuclear weapons-free Middle East.
- NY document one step forward towards no-atomic-weapon world: envoy IRNA 29 May 2010 -- The Final document of the NPT Review Conference is one step forward towards a world with no atomic weapons, Iran’s permament envoy to the UN nuclear watchdog Ali-Asghar Soltaniyeh said.
- The 28 page final document of the ministerial conference IRNA 29 May 2010 -- Final session of 2010 NPT Review Conference after a few delays began at three thirty pm Friday, New York local time (early Saturday morning, Tehran time).
- NPT review conference approves final declaration RIA Novosti 29 May 2010 -- The 189 nations participating in the 2010 Review Conference on Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT) have approved a final document towards nuclear disarmament, including the establishment of a nuclear weapon-free zone in the Middle East.
- Ban welcomes outcome of month-long nuclear treaty review conference UN News Centre 28 May 2010 -- The latest review meeting of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) wrapped up today by reaffirming the resolve of the five Member States with nuclear weapons to eliminate their arsenals and calling for a United Nations-sponsored conference in 2012 to establish a nuclear-free Middle East.
- NPT Review Conference Struggles To Find Common Ground RFE/RL 28 May 2010 -- Hopes were that the 2010 Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty review conference would result in a resolution showing the strength of the global nonproliferation effort.
- Two more nations ratify UN-backed treaty banning nuclear testing UN News Centre 26 May 2010 -- The Central African Republic and Trinidad and Tobago ratified the United Nations-backed treaty that prohibits all nuclear tests.
- UN nuclear conference calls on India, Israel to joint NPT, CTBT IRNA 26 May 2010 -- Breaking the tradition of not naming countries, the draft of 2010 Nuclear-Non Proliferation Treaty Review conference has asked India, Israel and Pakistan to join NPT and CTBT.
- NPT Review Draft Document Proposes Nuclear-Free Middle East RFE/RL 26 May 2010 -- Reports say a draft final document calls for a meeting of Middle East nations to establish the region as free of nuclear weapons.
- Too much at stake for failure at nuclear review conference, Ban says UN News Centre 24 May 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban exhorted nations to look beyond their own interests to achieve wide-ranging goals on disarmament.
- Chad becomes 100th nation to give UN nuclear inspectors greater access UN News Centre 14 May 2010 -- Chad has become the 100th nation to agree to give the UN IAEA more information about its nuclear activities.
- UN atomic agency a sounding board for countries considering going nuclear UN News Centre 11 May 2010 -- The United Nations International Atomic Energy Agency fans out across the globe.
- Amano's letter to IAEA members on persuading Israel to join NPT IRNA 06 May 2010 -- IAEA chief Amano is calling on member states for their viewpoints on how to persuade Israel to sign up to the NPT.
- Bold steps needed to achieve nuclear -free world, Ban says IRNA 06 May 2010 -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon appealed to all nations to take courageous action to achieve nuclear disarmament.
- Ahmadinejad urges creation of independent body to control nuclear stockpiles RIA Novosti 05 May 2010 -- Iranian President Ahmadinejad has called for the creation of an independent international body to control the number of warheads produced by nuclear powers.
- Action on nuclear disarmament cannot wait: Ban IRNA 05 May 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Tuesday evening said there needs to be a time frame for the ratification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty.
- Indonesia to ratify UN-backed pact banning nuclear testing IRNA 05 May 2010 -- Indonesia has announced that it intends to ratify the United Nations-backed treaty banning nuclear testing, pushing the pact one step closer to fruition.
- Indonesia to ratify UN-backed pact banning nuclear testing UN News Centre 04 May 2010 -- Indonesia has announced that it intends to ratify the United Nations-backed treaty banning nuclear testing, pushing the pact one step closer to fruition.
- Action on nuclear disarmament cannot wait, says Ban UN News Centre 04 May 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban opened an exhibition showcasing the history of the global pact aimed at banning all nuclear tests with a call for countries to take immediate action on disarmament to secure a safer world.
- Speakers urge action as nuclear review conference enters second day at UN UN News Centre 04 May 2010 -- The review conference of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) entered its second day today at United Nations Headquarters.
- China, Russia Address Nuclear Non- Proliferation Conference VOA 04 May 2010 -- Representatives from China and Russia scheduled to address the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty conference at the UN.
- Violators of non-proliferation regime have to face consequences - Obama RIA Novosti 04 May 2010 -- US President Obama reiterated his warning to states that do not follow their non-proliferation commitments.
- Iran jeopardizes non-proliferation regime - Clinton RIA Novosti 04 May 2010 -- US Secretary of State Clinton criticized Iran for "flouting the rules" and putting the non-proliferation regime at risk.
- Ban on Nuclear Weapons in Middle East Receives Support at NPT Conference VOA 05 May 2010 -- Major powers, regional players and others endorsed establishing a ban on nuclear weapons in the Middle East.
- NPT Conference to Discuss Iran, Mideast Nuclear Weapons-Free Zone VOA 04 May 2010 -- Delegates from around the world are at the United Nations in New York, taking part in the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty review conference.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 03 May 2010
- Secretary of State Clinton Press Availability at the United Nations Department of State 03 May 2010
- Secretary of State Clinton Remarks at the Review Conference of the NPT Department of State 03 May 2010
- Statement of President Barack Obama on the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Review Conference The White House 03 May 2010
- Ban tells Iran's Ahmadinejad to restore global trust in nuclear programme UN News Centre 03 May 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban personally urged Iranian President Ahmadinejad to restore international trust in the peaceful nature of his country's nuclear programme.
- Ban urges nations to make nuclear disarmament targets a reality UN News Centre 03 May 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban: World is looking to nations gathered to take decisive action to build a safer world.
- U.S., British, French delegations walk out of UN General Assembly hall RIA Novosti 03 May 2010 -- US, Britain and France walked out after Iranian President Ahmadinejad accused Western powers of double standards.
- Ahmadinejad Blasts U.S., Says Iran Not Seeking Nuclear Weapons RFE/RL 03 May 2010 -- Speaking at the United Nations today, Iranian President Ahmadinejad called for the disarmament of the world's nuclear powers.
- Ahmadinejad accuses West of double standards in nuclear non-proliferation RIA Novosti 03 May 2010 -- Iranian President Ahmadinejad accused Western powers of double standards concerning nuclear non-proliferation.
- Iranian President Rails Against West at NPT Conference VOA 03 May 2010 -- Iranian President Ahmadinejad kicked off the NPT Review Conference with a lengthy diatribe against the United States and other Western powers.
- President: Nuclear bomb, crime against humanity, not for defense IRNA 03 May 2010 -- Full text of the Iranian president's address at NPT Conference.
- NPT review conference: Iran and Israel RIA Novosti 03 May 2010 -- The 2010 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons is opening as disputes continue on Iran's nuclear program.
- Iran's proposals to NPT confab, to be practical, clear: President IRNA 03 May 2010 -- Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: Iran's proposals to the NPT review conference would be practical, fair and transparent.
- Ahmadinejad, Clinton to Speak at UN Nuclear Conference VOA 03 May 2010 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: Country's proposals on nuclear disarmament will be "practical" and "fair."
- NPT review conference starts in New York RIA Novosti 03 May 2010 -- The 2010 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons is opening in the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
- Nuclear Proliferation Treaty Up For Review RFE/RL 02 May 2010 -- The guest list alone promises to make the 2010 review of the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) one to remember.
- On eve of nuclear summit, Ban renews call for global nuclear disarmament UN News Centre 02 May 2010 -- With the curtain on a major non-proliferation summit set to rise tomorrow at United Nations Headquarters, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has appealed for a renewed global commitment towards nuclear disarmament.
- Recent advances improve atmosphere of upcoming nuclear forum – UN official UN News Centre 30 Apr 2010 -- The latest review conference of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) will kick off in a much more positive atmosphere than the last gathering, thanks to recent moves by the United States and Russia to slash their nuclear arsenals, among others, according to the top United Nations disarmament official.
- Press Conference by President-Elect of 2010 Review Conference of Parties to Treaty on Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons United Nations 29 Apr 2010
- UN to review non-proliferation efforts RIA Novosti 29 Apr 2010
- Freeing world of chemical weapons the best way to honour victims, says Ban UN News Centre 29 Apr 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called for strengthening the international treaty banning chemical weapons as a way to honour all those who have lost their lives to this scourge.
- Ban outlines hopes for disarmament ahead of global review meeting at UN UN News Centre 28 Apr 2010 -- The Earth’s very future leaves no alternative but to pursue nuclear disarmament, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today as he emphasized that the United Nations is destined to lead global efforts on nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation.
- On heels of nuclear security summit, UN atomic watchdog seeks more funding UN News Centre 14 Apr 2010 -- The United Nations agency that plays a leading role in trying to stop terrorists getting their hands on nuclear materials is seeking greater funding to carry out its task following this week’s Washington summit on nuclear security.
- UN chief calls for keeping nuclear materials from terrorists IRNA 14 Apr 2010 -- Building on US President Barack Obama’s nuclear security summit in Washington, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Tuesday proposed a series of high-level conferences to flesh out efforts to prevent terrorists from getting their hands on nuclear materials.
- Ban outlines UN role in fight to keep nuclear materials from terrorists UN News Centre 13 Apr 2010 -- Building on United States President Barack Obama’s nuclear security summit in Washington, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today proposed a series of high-level conferences to flesh out efforts to prevent terrorists from getting their hands on nuclear materials.
- Ban calls for preventing extremists from acquiring nuclear weapons IRNA 13 Apr 2010 -- As world leaders gather Monday in Washington for the start of a nuclear security summit, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he will urge those leaders to come together to rein in nuclear proliferation and prevent extremists from acquiring atomic weapons.
- On eve of nuclear security summit, UN agency aids in warding off terrorism UN News Centre 09 Apr 2010 -- When 47 countries gather in Washington on Monday at a summit to prevent nuclear proliferation and counter the risk of atomic weapons falling into terrorist hands, one United Nations agency with a proven track record in the field will be front and centre in offering help.
- Top UN officials hail new Russian-US arms control treaty UN News Centre 08 Apr 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog have welcomed the new treaty signed today by the leaders of Russia and the United States by which they pledged to slash their nuclear arsenals by a third.
- Ban sees new hope for next week’s nuclear security summit in Washington UN News Centre 07 Apr 2010 -- The world can look forward to next week’s nuclear security summit in Washington “with heightened optimism and fresh political will,” Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today.
- From atom test ground zero, Ban hails momentum towards nuclear weapons-free world UN News Centre 06 Apr 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today flew to a former ground zero of atom bomb testing in a highly symbolic gesture to plead for a nuclear weapons-free world on the eve of this week’s United States-Russian summit to sign a new nuclear arsenal reduction treaty.
- UN official: Middle East region must be free of nuclear weapons IRNA 07 Apr 2010 -- President of the 64th session of the United Nations General Assembly Ali Abdussalam Treki called for necessity of removal of nuclear weapons from the Middle East.
- Washington Summit to Discuss Nuclear Terrorism VOA 06 Apr 2010 -- A unique two-day summit expected to bring together more than 40 heads of state and government will open in Washington April 12. As VOA reports, the unprecedented meeting will focus on one issue: how to safeguard nuclear materials from terrorists.
- Russia, IAEA Agree To Establish World's First Nuclear Fuel Bank RFE/RL 29 Mar 2010 -- Russia has signed a deal with the UN's nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), to set up the world's first nuclear fuel bank of low-enriched uranium for countries that need fuel for civilian purposes, including nuclear power plants.
- Ban welcomes new arms pact between Russia and the United States UN News Centre 26 Mar 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed today’s agreement reached between Russia and the United States to reduce their arsenals, hailing it as an “important milestone” in global efforts to rid the world of nuclear weapons.
- UN hopes for no delay in ratification of strategic arms deal RIA Novosti 26 Mar 2010 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon welcomed the end of negotiations on the new Russian-U.S. nuclear arms reduction treaty, and expressed hope for its ratification as soon as possible.
- Russia, IAEA to sign deal on international nuclear fuel reserve bank RIA Novosti 26 Mar 2010 -- Russia's state-run nuclear power corporation Rosatom and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will sign next week an agreement on the creation of an international nuclear fuel reserve bank, a Russian respected business daily said on Friday.
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon gives interview to RIA Novosti RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2010 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon will travel to Moscow on March 17 to participate in the meeting of the Middle East Quartet (Russia, US, UN, EU). In an interview with the RIA Novosti New York Bureau Chief Dmitry Gornostaev, before starting the trip that includes also Israel and Palestine, Mr. Ban shares his views on peace process in the Middle East, possible sanctions against Iran, situation in North Korea, Afghanistan, UN-Russia cooperation, etc.
- Ban marks 40th anniversary of landmark global pact on nuclear weapons control UN News Centre 05 Mar 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today marked the 40th anniversary of the entry into force of the United Nations-backed Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), which forms the foundation of the world’s nuclear non-proliferation regime.
- Press Conference by Chair of Intergovernmental Negotiations on Security Council Reform United Nations 03 Jan 2010
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list