Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
15 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Operational information on 18.00, 15.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 15 Mar 2022
- Russia Shells Kyiv as European Leaders Travel to Ukrainian Capital VOA 15 Mar 2022 -- Three European leaders headed to Kyiv on Tuesday as Russian forces bombarded the Ukrainian capital and other cities nearly three weeks into Russia's invasion of its neighbor.
- Operational information on 24.00, 14.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 15 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 06.00, 15.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 15 Mar 2022
- Nearly 3 Million Have Fled Fighting In Ukraine, UN Says RFE/RL 15 Mar 2022 -- Some 3 million people have fled Ukraine since Russian forces invaded almost three weeks ago, the UN's International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on March 15.
- Thousands Leave Mariupol As Ukrainian And Russian Negotiators Still Divided By 'Fundamental Contradictions' RFE/RL 15 Mar 2022 -- Up to 20,000 civilians managed on March 15 to leave the besieged city of Mariupol, which has been devastated by relentless Russian shelling, Ukrainian officials said, as invading forces stepped up strikes on suburbs of the capital, Kyiv, and Ukrainian and Russian negotiators ended a second day of talks aimed at reaching a cease-fire without palpable progress.
- 2,000 cars leave besieged Mariupol in first successful evacuation Press TV 15 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian authorities say some 2,000 cars have left the port city of Mariupol along a humanitarian evacuation route, while a further 2,000 are waiting to leave.
- Russia takes full control of Kherson in Ukraine as war enters 20th day Press TV 15 Mar 2022 -- Russia's Defense Ministry says its troops have taken control of Ukraine's southern region of Kherson as the Russian military campaign enters its 20th day.
- Russian Armed Forces Take Full Control of Kherson Region, MoD Says Sputnik 15 Mar 2022 -- The Russian special military operation to demilitarise and "de-Nazify" Ukraine has entered day 20, with defence and government officials previously saying that the op was going as scheduled.
- 150,000 evacuated from Ukraine through humanitarian corridors People's Daily 15 Mar 2022 -- Some 150,000 people have been evacuated from conflict zones in Ukraine to safe places through humanitarian corridors so far, Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said Monday.
- Ukraine seeking ceasefire, troop withdrawal at talks with Russia People's Daily 15 Mar 2022 -- The Ukrainian delegation is seeking a ceasefire and a troop withdrawal during the peace talks with Russia, Ukrainian Presidential Advisor Mykhailo Podolyak, also a member of the delegation, said Monday.
- Ukraine, Russia take technical pause in peace talks: Ukrainian negotiator People's Daily 15 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine and Russia took a technical pause in their peace talks, Ukrainian Presidential Advisor Mykhailo Podolyak, also a member of the delegation, said Monday.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken With Wolf Blitzer of The Situation Room on CNN US Dept. of State 15 Mar 2022
- Briefing with Senior Administration Officials on the U.S. Humanitarian Assistance Response to Russia's Further Invasion of Ukraine US Dept. of State 15 Mar 2022
- Biden Administration Considers Expediting Resettlement of Ukrainian Refugees with US Connections VOA 15 Mar 2022 -- Marta Havryliuk and her 13-year-old son, Ostap, were living in Busk, Lvivska oblast, when Russia invaded Ukraine.
- Additional Humanitarian Assistance for the People of Ukraine US Dept. of State 15 Mar 2022 -- The United States is providing over $186 million in additional humanitarian assistance to support internally displaced persons and the more than three million refugees affected by Russia's premeditated, unprovoked, and unjustified war in Ukraine.
- US State Department Looking to Scrounge Up Soviet S-300s to Deliver to Ukraine: Report Sputnik 15 Mar 2022 -- The United States and its allies have already delivered well over $3 billion in military equipment to Ukraine in recent years, and committed to send hundreds of millions of dollars more after Russia and its Donbass allies began an operation to demilitarise the country late last month.
- US Not Ruling Out Training Ukrainian Troops in Third Countries, Says Trainers 'Pulled Back' for Now Sputnik 15 Mar 2022 -- The US Defence Department has acknowledged that Moscow is "expanding" its "target sets" in Ukraine, while referring to high-precision strikes carried out by Russian forces at military training facilities in the western part of the country on 13 March. Moscow says around 180 foreign mercenaries were taken out in the strikes.
- U.S. Sanctions More People In Putin's Circle Over Ukraine Invasion RFE/RL 15 Mar 2022 -- The United States has targeted more individuals in Russian President Vladimir Putin's power structure with sanctions over Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine and slapped fresh punitive measures on Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka, Putin's close ally.
- Promoting Accountability for Human Rights Abuses Perpetrated by the Governments of Russia and Belarus US Dept. of State 15 Mar 2022 -- The United States, with support from Allies and partners, is taking action to promote accountability for the Russian and Belarusian governments' human rights abuses and violations within and outside their borders.
- U.S. Announces Sanctions on Key Members of Russia's Defense Enterprise US Dept. of State 15 Mar 2022 -- The world has been transfixed as Russia has perpetrated a premeditated, unprovoked, and unjustified attack on Ukraine. Russia's further invasion of Ukraine has resulted in widespread human suffering and casualties, including the deaths of innocent civilians, including children. Today, the Department of State is continuing to impose severe costs on Russian military leaders.
- Treasury Sanctions Russians Connected to Gross Human Rights Violations and Corrupt Leader of Belarus US Treasury 15 Mar 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated four individuals and one entity pursuant to the Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2012 (the Russia Magnitsky Act).
- US Announces More Sanctions on Belarus Leader, Russian Officials VOA 15 Mar 2022 -- The United States on Tuesday announced more sanctions on Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko for his role as an ally of Russia during the invasion of Ukraine.
- Congress President strongly condemns abduction of Mayors and pressure on local and regional authorities in Ukraine Council of Europe 15 Mar 2022 -- The President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe, Leendert Verbeek, made the following statement regarding the war in Ukraine:
- The prime ministers of Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovenia met in Kiev with the prime minister and president of Ukraine Republic of Poland 15 Mar 2022 -- Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and Deputy Prime Minister, Chairman of the Committee for National Security and Defense Affairs JarosÅ‚aw KaczyÅ„ski, together with Prime Minister of the Czech Republic Petr Fiala and Prime Minister of Slovenia Janez JanÅ¡a went by train to a meeting with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and Prime Minister of Ukraine Denys Szmyhal.
- European Union Grants Temporary Protection to Ukrainians VOA 15 Mar 2022 -- More than 2.8 million people have fled Ukraine since the Russian invasion, according to the United Nations â€” the swiftest mass exodus of refugees since World War II, some experts say.
- Czech, Polish, And Slovenian PMs Visit Zelenskiy In Kyiv RFE/RL 15 Mar 2022 -- The prime ministers of the Czech Republic, Poland, and Slovenia visited Kyiv on March 15 in an "unequivocal" show of support for Ukraine as Russia continues its assault on the country.
- Readout of National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Meetings with Prime Minister Mario Draghi of Italy and Diplomatic Advisor to the Prime Minister Luigi Mattiolo The White House 15 Mar 2022
- Foreign Ministry statement on initiating the process of withdrawing from the Council of Europe Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 15 Mar 2022
- Russia Withdraws From Council of Europe - Lawmaker Sputnik 15 Mar 2022 -- Russia decided to withdraw from the Council of Europe, and NATO countries were fully responsible for breaking off the dialogue, and that Russia was leaving the organization of its own free will, Russian State Duma Deputy Speaker Pyotr Tolstoy, who heads the Russian parliamentary delegation to PACE, said.
- Ukraine: EU agrees fourth package of restrictive measures against Russia European Commission 15 Mar 2022 -- The European Commission welcomes today's agreement by the Council to adopt a fourth package of restrictive measures against Russia in response to its brutal aggression against Ukraine and its people. These sanctions will further contribute to ramping up economic pressure on the Kremlin and cripple its ability to finance its invasion of Ukraine. They have been coordinated with international partners, notably the United States.
- United response to Putin's war in Ukraine: What sanctions are in force? Germany Federal Foreign Office 15 Mar 2022 -- On 24 February, Russia attacked Ukraine in violation of international law. The EU has therefore, in close cooperation with its partners, imposed "massive" economic sanctions. What sanctions have been imposed? How do sanctions work?
- EU Approves Further Sanctions Against Russia, Abramovich And Other Oligarchs RFE/RL 15 Mar 2022 -- European Union member states have formally approved a fourth package of sanctions against Russia following its invasion of Ukraine, including freezing the assets of several oligarchs such as Roman Abramovich, the owner of the Chelsea soccer club.
- EU, US move to revoke Russia's MFN trade status, trying to isolate country from global economy Global Times 15 Mar 2022 -- Following in the steps of the US and Japan, the EU moved to revoke Russia's "most-favored nation" (MFN) trade status under the WTO framework, which experts called a "middle ground choice" between halting trade with Russia and stopping the pace of sanctions, as the EU and its allies hope to isolate Russia from the global economic system, but fear this may backfire on its own economy as the region's trade is closely intertwined with Russian supplies.
- Foreign Secretary announces historic round of sanctions on Russia UK FCDO 15 Mar 2022 -- Liz Truss announces historic round of sanctions, taking the overall number of UK sanctions on Russia to more than 1,000 since the invasion of Ukraine.
- China Says It Is 'Not a Party' to Ukraine Crisis VOA 15 Mar 2022 -- China says it does not want to get caught up in the diplomatic and economic blowback Russia is facing from Western nations over its invasion of Ukraine.
- China encourages Europe to build 'indivisible security' mechanism with Russia Global Times 15 Mar 2022 -- China recently encouraged European countries to establish an indivisible, sustainable, effective and balanced security mechanism on different diplomatic occasions, with analysts saying that since the Ukraine crisis has brought serious damage to the security of Europe, the relevant parties need to realize that it is the US, an external superpower, that manipulates the security situation in Europe, and benefits the most, while the EU, Russia and Ukraine have all paid a heavy price under the current unbalanced and ineffective security mechanism.
- US fails to trap China over Ukraine at Yang-Sullivan meeting Global Times 15 Mar 2022 -- On the same day as a seven-hour meeting between senior Chinese diplomat Yang Jiechi and US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan in Rome on Monday which was described by some media outlets as "intense," US Air Force General Kenneth Wilsbach blatantly threatened to teach China a lesson from the Ukraine situation, which could be applied to the Taiwan question. Such conceit was defied by the first direct high-level engagement between Chinese and US officials over the situation in Ukraine on which Washington had tried to misguide Beijing to serve its own interests, although failing to do so as the Chinese side stressed its consistent stance on the issue and urged the US side to correct its wrong words and deeds.
- Chinese FM supports Indonesia to keep Ukraine crisis off G20 agenda Global Times 15 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Tuesday said that although the Group of 20 (G20) is a major forum for international economic cooperation, it is not an appropriate forum to discuss the Ukraine crisis.
- 'Indivisible security principle' established by the OSCE should be put into practice: Chinese envoy to the UN concerning Ukraine Global Times 15 Mar 2022 -- The world needs dialogue and cooperation, and does not need a new Cold War. Differences between countries in national interests, social systems and ideologies should not become obstacles to dialogue, nor should they become reasons for confrontation, Zhang Jun, Chinas permanent representative to the United Nations, said at the UN Security Council on Monday.
- Chinese envoy to UN says sanctions won't help solve Ukraine issue People's Daily 15 Mar 2022 -- China's permanent representative to the United Nations Zhang Jun said Monday that "the wanton use of sanctions" will not help solve the conflict in Ukraine but only create new problems.
- China calls on US not to harm Beijing's interests while dealing with Russia Press TV 15 Mar 2022 -- China has called on the United States not to harm Beijing's legitimate rights and interests while dealing with Russia over its ongoing military offensive against Ukraine.
- U.S. 'concerned' over extent of China's support for Putin's war in Ukraine Radio Free Asia 15 Mar 2022 -- The United States has expressed concern over close ties between China and Russia, following several media reports that Beijing is open to Russian requests for military assistance.
- Beijing Urges Washington to Leave China Out of US-Russia Disagreements - Foreign Ministry Sputnik 15 Mar 2022 -- Beijing calls on Washington to avoid damaging China's interests when trying to settle its relations with Russia, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said on Tuesday.
- Senior Chinese official elaborates on China's position on Ukraine situation Global Times 15 Mar 2022 -- Yang Jiechi, a member of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, on Monday elaborated on China's position on the situation in Ukraine during his meeting with US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan in Rome.
- Iran, Ukraine FMs hold phone talks ISNA 15 Mar 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian and his Ukrainian counterpart Dmytry Kuleba have in a phone call held talks over the Ukraine crisis, the need for protection of diplomatic missions and dispatch of humanitarian aid, and also bilateral issues.
- FM: Iran supports efforts to resolve Ukraine crisis peacefully IRNA 15 Mar 2022 -- Iranian Foreign minister Hossein Amirabdollahian in a phone talk with his Ukrainian counterpart Dmytro Kuleba on Monday night emphasized that Iran supports any diplomatic effort aimed at peaceful resolving of the Ukraine crisis.
- Ukraine wants Iran to convey its message to Russia IRNA 15 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine's Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has spoken on the phone with his Iranian counterpart Hossein Amirabdollahian about the ongoing Russian conflict in Ukraine.
- FM: Iran supports any political effort to resolve Ukraine crisis Press TV 15 Mar 2022 -- Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian has expressed Iran's support for any political effort aimed at putting an end to the conflict in Ukraine.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi virtually met stakeholders involved in Operation Ganga launched for evacuation of Indians from Ukraine India PIB 15 Mar 2022 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi interacted with stakeholders involved in Operation Ganga earlier today. Operation Ganga successfully evacuated about 23000 Indian citizens, as well as 147 foreign nationals belonging to 18 countries, from Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list