Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2022 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Turkey Says First Grain Exports Could Be Shipped From Ukraine On August 1 RFE/RL 31 Jul 2022 -- A spokesman for Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that there is a high chance that the first grain-exporting ship will leave Ukraine on August 1.
- Turkey offers cooperation with Damascus against Kurdish YPG militants in northern Syria Press TV 31 Jul 2022 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Ankara is prepared to assist the Syrian government in its efforts to flush out members of the US-backed Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militant group from energy-rich areas in northeastern Syria.
- No: 239, 28 July 2022, Press Release Regarding the United Nations Security Council Resolution No 2646 (2022) on the Extension of the Mandate of the UN Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus Republic of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs 28 Jul 2022 -- The United Nations Security Council extended the mandate of the UN Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) for a period of six months with its resolution 2646 (2022) adopted on 28 July 2022.
- UN chief welcomes inauguration of Joint Coordination Center in Istanbul People's Daily 28 Jul 2022 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Wednesday welcomed the official inauguration of the Joint Coordination Centre (JCC) in Istanbul as "a platform to help operationalize the Black Sea Grain Initiative."
- UN welcomes new centre to put Ukraine grain exports deal into motion UN News 28 Jul 2022 -- UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres has welcomed the official start of the operation based in the Turkish capital, Istanbul, that will help implement the UN-brokered deal to resume exports of Ukrainian grain via the Black Sea, amid the ongoing conflict and rising food prices worldwide.
- US-Turkey Talks on F-16 Fighter Jets 'Going Well', Foreign Minister Says Sputnik 27 Jul 2022 -- Turkey's negotiations with the United States on F-16 fighter jets are moving well, with the negative attitude toward the deal observed in the US in previous years vanishing, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Wednesday.
- No: 233, 27 July 2022, Press Release Regarding the Attack on Our Consulate General in Mosul Republic of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs 27 Jul 2022 -- An attack took place on the Consulate General of TÃ¼rkiye in Mosul in the morning hours of 27 July. We condemn this attack, in which no casualties were reported, in the strongest terms and expect those responsible to be brought to justice as soon as possible.
- Joint Coordination Centre opens in Istanbul to facilitate safe export of commercial foodstuffs and fertilizers from Ukrainian ports UNOCHA 27 Jul 2022 -- The Joint Coordination Centre (JCC) was officially inaugurated today in Istanbul, comprising representatives of Ukraine, the Russian Federation, TÃ¼rkiye and the United Nations.
- Turkey Opens Grain Coordination Center As Kyiv Says Three Southern Ports Now In Operation RFE/RL 27 Jul 2022 -- Turkish officials have opened a joint coordination center for Ukrainian grain exports and expect shipments to begin in the coming days as Kyiv said work had resumed at three Black Sea ports designated under a recent UN-brokered deal with Russia for the flow of grain that has been blocked by Moscow's invasion.
- TÃ¼rkiye urged to reverse decision ditching women's rights accord UN News 27 Jul 2022 -- TÃ¼rkiye's decision to ditch a landmark international treaty to tackle violence against women and girls, could significantly set back efforts to tackle the problem, top UN-appointed independent rights expert said on Wednesday.
- At UN, Iraq's Foreign Minister Demands Withdrawal of Turkish Forces VOA 27 Jul 2022 -- Iraq's foreign minister took his government's demands Tuesday to the U.N. Security Council, where he sought the withdrawal of Turkish forces from Iraqi territory following a deadly strike on a vacation resort that Baghdad has blamed on Turkish forces.
- Turkey's Erdogan says he will buy more oil, gas from Iran Press TV 26 Jul 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has announced that his country would increase its purchases of Iranian oil and gas, a week after meeting with his Iranian counterpart Ebrahim Raeisi in Tehran.
- Iraq resort shelling a 'shocking disregard for civilian life', UN envoy says UN News 26 Jul 2022 -- The deadly shelling of a mountain resort in northern Iraq last week represented a shocking disregard for civilian life and international obligations on civilian protection, the UN Special Representative for the country, Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, told the Security Council on Tuesday.
- Erdogan decries Greece over undermining Muslim minority rights Press TV 25 Jul 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has slammed Greece for allegedly violating a century-old peace treaty and undermining the Muslim minority in the region of Thrace.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Phone Call With Turkish Minister of National Defense Hulusi Akar DoD 25 Jul 2022
- Rocket attack targets Turkish base in Iraq after Ankara's latest strike Press TV 25 Jul 2022 -- A rocket attack has targeted a military base housing Turkish troops in northern Iraq, days after a fatal shelling blamed on Turkey hit a village in the Arab country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Russia denies attacks on Ukrainian port after grain deal: Turkish minister People's Daily 24 Jul 2022 -- Russian officials had told Ankara that Russia had "nothing to do" with the attacks on Ukraine's key Black Sea port of Odesa, Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Saturday.
- Lavrov Says Russia, Turkey, Yet Undetermined Party Will Escort Ships With Ukrainian Grain Sputnik 24 Jul 2022 -- Russia, Turkey, and a third party that will be determined later will provide escort for ships with Ukrainian grain in the Black Sea, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Sunday.
- Erdogan Accuses Greece of 'Deliberately' Violating Lausanne Peace Treaty Sputnik 24 Jul 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday accused Athens of recently deliberately violating provisions of the Lausanne Peace Treaty, in particular those relating to the rights of the Turkish national minority in Greece.
- At least one killed: Turkish forces shell villages in Syria's Hasakah Press TV 24 Jul 2022 -- Turkish military forces have shelled a number of villages in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, leaving at least one civilian dead and several injured.
- Turkey summons Swedish envoy over 'terrorist propaganda' Press TV 24 Jul 2022 -- Turkey has summoned the Swedish charges d'affaires in Ankara in protest at a demonstration by a Kurdish group in Sweden.
- Swedish Charge d'Affaires Summoned to Turkish Foreign Ministry - Source Sputnik 23 Jul 2022 -- The Turkish Foreign Ministry on Saturday summoned Sweden's charge d'affaires in connection with "a provocation by supporters of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK)" outlawed in Turkey in the Swedish city of Gothenburg, a diplomatic source told Sputnik.
- Iraq takes 'Turkish aggression' to UN Security Council, urges emergency meeting Press TV 23 Jul 2022 -- Following Turkey's attack on a tourist resort in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, Baghdad has filed an official complaint at the UN Security Council against Ankara, recalling its ambassador to protest what it calls Turkey's aggression.
- TÃ¼rkiye, Finland, Sweden to meet in August to assess compliance in NATO bid: Turkish FM People's Daily 22 Jul 2022 -- TÃ¼rkiye, Finland and Sweden will hold a meeting in August to evaluate the Nordic countries' anti-terror pledges required by Ankara for lifting its veto on their NATO membership bid, the Turkish foreign minister said on Thursday.
- Iraq's security official calls for 'restraint' amid Turkey's crossborder violations Press TV 22 Jul 2022 -- Iraq's national security adviser has reacted to a recent Turkish attack on a tourist resort in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region of northern Iraq, calling for "restraint" in response to recurring crossborder violations by Turkey.
- Turkish Military Base in Northern Iraq Comes Under Rocket Fire - Reports Sputnik 22 Jul 2022 -- The Turkish military base Zlikan in the northern Iraqi province of Nineveh has come under rocket fire, media reported.
- Turkey Says Deal To Resume Black Sea Grain Exports To Be Signed On July 22 RFE/RL 21 Jul 2022 -- Ukraine, Russia, and Turkey, and the United Nations will sign a deal on July 22 in Istanbul to resume Ukraine's Black Sea grain exports, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's office said.
- Ukrainian Grain Export Agreement to Be Signed in Istanbul Friday, Turkish Presidential Admin Says Sputnik 21 Jul 2022 -- Russian, Ukrainian, and Turkish military officials and United Nations representatives met in Istanbul last week to discuss the export of Ukrainian grain stocks from Black Sea ports amid fears that the crisis which has engulfed the country could cause major global food shortages.
- 'America Has to Leave': Erdogan Calls on US to Stop Training Kurdish Militias, Leave Eastern Syria Sputnik 21 Jul 2022 -- Earlier this year, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan used his veto power over the accession of Sweden and Finland to NATO to dragoon the two nations into ending their support for Kurdish groups in Turkey and Syria, which his government considers terrorist organizations.
- Iraq: Statement by the Spokesperson on the attack in Dohuk province European External Action Service (EEAS) 21 Jul 2022 -- The European Union condemns the attack in Dohuk province which killed and injured several civilians on Wednesday.
- Deadly strikes blamed on Turkey in Iraq's Kurdistan draw condemnation Press TV 21 Jul 2022 -- International organizations and world countries have denounced in strongest terms artillery strikes against a tourist resort blamed on Turkey in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region of northern Iraq, which killed at least nine civilians and wounded more than 20 others.
- No: 231, 20 July 2022, Press Release Regarding the Attack Carried out in Iraq's Duhok Province Republic of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs 20 Jul 2022 -- We have learned with deep sorrow that, according to preliminary reports 8 people lost their lives and 23 people were injured in an attack carried out today (July 20), to a streamside in the Zakho district of Iraq's Duhok province.
- The United States Condemns Attack in the Dohuk Province of Iraq US Dept. of State 20 Jul 2022
- UN mission in Iraq condemns attack in Duhok which left 8 dead UN News 20 Jul 2022 -- The UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), has strongly condemned the shelling of a mountain resort in the Kurdistan region of Dohuk Governorate on Wednesday, which reportedly killed eight tourists and wounded more than 20 others.
- Syrian conflict has no military solution: Iran, Russia, Turkey IRNA 20 Jul 2022 -- Presidents of Iran, Russia and Turkey said in a joint statement on Tuesday that there could be no military solution to the Syrian conflict.
- Iran voices concern about potential Turkish invasion of Syria as Erdogan renews case for operation Press TV 20 Jul 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian expresses concern regarding a fresh potential Turkish invasion of northern Syria, which Ankara might undertake under the pretext of fighting "terrorists."
- Meeting with President of Turkiye Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Russia 19 Jul 2022 -- Vladimir Putin met with President of the Republic of Turkiye Recep Tayyip Erdogan on the sidelines of the Astana troika summit.
- Iran, Russia, Turkey hold 7th summit of Astana peace process Press TV 19 Jul 2022 -- Iran, Russia, and Turkey have held a trilateral summit on the Syria peace process, condemning foreign meddling and emphasizing Syrians' right to determine their country's fate.
- Putin Meets With Iranian, Turkish Leaders VOA 19 Jul 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin held talks Tuesday with Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Tehran, signaling closer links between the two countries, while also meeting later with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in an effort to resume grain exports from war-torn Ukraine.
- Terrorism must be fought with in all of its manifestations: Raeisi Press TV 19 Jul 2022 -- President Ebrahim Raeisi has underscored the importance of maintaining security on Iran's common border with Turkey, saying terrorism must be fought with in all of its manifestations.
- Iran, Turkey begin talks on 25-year gas supply deal Press TV 19 Jul 2022 -- Iran and Turkey have agreed to start negotiations on a new gas exports deal that will allow increased supply of natural gas from Iran to Turkey for a period of 25 years starting in 2026.
- TÃ¼rkiye to freeze Finland, Sweden's NATO bids if they fail to keep promises: president People's Daily 19 Jul 2022 -- Turkey will suspend Finland and Sweden's NATO accession process if they do not keep promises on counter-terrorism, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday.
- USS Bainbridge (DDG 96) arrives in Aksaz, Turkey US Navy 18 Jul 2022 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Bainbridge (DDG 96) arrived in Aksaz, Turkey for a scheduled port visit, July 18, 2022.
- Five civilians killed in Turkish drone strike in Iraq's Kurdistan region Press TV 18 Jul 2022 -- At least five people, including a woman, have been killed in a Turkish drone strike in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region of northern Iraq, as Ankara ramps up its cross-border offensives in the Arab country.
- Iran foreign minister: Tripartite summit in Tehran meant to help restore peace, stability to Syria Press TV 18 Jul 2022 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian says the goal of a tripartite summit, which will be held in the Iranian capital on Tuesday, is to help restore peace and stability to the war-torn Syria.
- Erdogan, Putin to meet in Iran over Turkish military plan in Syria, grain exports from Ukraine People's Daily 17 Jul 2022 -- TÃ¼rkiye's plans for another military operation in northern Syria and a possible grain corridor from Ukrainian ports across the Black Sea are high on the agenda of an upcoming meeting between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in Iran, experts said.
- Ankara Hopes to Quickly Implement Ukrainian Grain Plan Sputnik 16 Jul 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, during a telephone conversation with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron, said on Saturday that if the plan for Ukrainian grain is quickly implemented, then the situation with global food security can be eased.
- Turkey to Be Last Member State to Ratify Finland's, Sweden's Accession to NATO, Niinisto Says Sputnik 16 Jul 2022 -- Turkey is likely to be the last country to ratify protocols on Finland's and Sweden's accession to NATO, Finnish President Sauli Niinisto said on Saturday.
- US Senate Wants Turkey to Cut Off Ties With Russia in Order to Buy F-16 Jets, Reports Say Sputnik 14 Jul 2022 -- The chairman of the US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, Robert Menendez, listed conditions under which he could remove his objections to the sale of F-16 fighter jets to Turkey, which include the abandonment by Ankara of Russia's S-400 air defense systems, and cutting off its close relations with Moscow, the AMNA reported.
- Turkey Notes Progress in Talks on Stalled Ukrainian Wheat Exports VOA 14 Jul 2022 -- Turkish officials say there is a potential breakthrough in efforts to release Ukrainian grain to world markets as global food prices soar amid Russia's war with Ukraine. Turkey's defense minister, Hulusi Akar, said an agreement is likely to be announced soon following four-way talks Wednesday among Russian, Ukrainian, United Nations, and Turkish officials in Istanbul.
- US Opposes Turkey's Potential Military Operation in Northern Syria - Pentagon Sputnik 13 Jul 2022 -- The United States is opposed to a possible military operation by Turkey in northern Syria, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for the Middle East Dana Stroul said.
- US Officials Speak Out Against Turkish Plans for Northern Syria VOA 13 Jul 2022 -- Senior U.S. officials are going public with their concerns that Turkey will soon launch renewed military operations in northern Syria, warning such a move will endanger U.S. forces in the region and have disastrous consequences in the fight against Islamic State.
- Russian, Ukrainian Military Delegations To Meet In Istanbul Over Grain-Export Crisis RFE/RL 13 Jul 2022 -- Military delegations from Russia and Ukraine are gathering in Istanbul on July 13 to meet with UN and Turkish officials in an attempt to break a crucial impasse over grain exports that has sent global food prices soaring.
- Putin, Erdogan discuss bilateral relations, situation in Ukraine over phone People's Daily 12 Jul 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed the development of bilateral economic cooperation, and the situation in Ukraine during a telephone call with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday.
- Turkey's Erdogan Speaks With Putin, Zelenskiy About Ukrainian Grain Exports RFE/RL 11 Jul 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has discussed Ukrainian grain exports in separate phone calls with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.
- Turkish, Armenian Leaders Pledge To Further Normalization Process RFE/RL 11 Jul 2022 -- The leaders of Armenia and Turkey have pledged during a phone call to build on a recently established process aimed at normalizing travel, trade, and diplomatic relations between their two countries.
- Telephone conversation with President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Russia 11 Jul 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- ECHR judgment in the case Kavala v. TÃ¼rkiye: joint statement by the Council of Europe leaders Council of Europe 11 Jul 2022 -- Ireland's Minister for Foreign Affairs and Chair of the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers, Simon Coveney, the President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, Tiny Kox, and the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Marija PejÄinoviÄ BuriÄ, have made the following statement on the European Court's judgment in Kavala v. TÃ¼rkiye case:
- Turkey - Statement by the Spokesperson on ECtHR ruling against Turkey in the Kavala case European External Action Service (EEAS) 11 Jul 2022 -- Today, the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) confirmed that Turkey has failed to fulfil its obligations under Article 46 Â§ 1 of the Convention to comply with the Chamber judgment delivered by the Court in the case of Kavala v. Turkey on 10 December 2019.
- Israeli PM, Turkish president speak on phone, hope for better ties People's Daily 11 Jul 2022 -- Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke on the phone on Sunday, expressing hope for improving relations between the two countries, Lapid's office said in a statement.
- PM Lapid Speaks with the President of TÃ¼rkiye, Recep Tayyip ErdoÄan Israel - Prime Minister 10 Jul 2022 -- Prime Minister Yair Lapid spoke this evening, with the President of TÃ¼rkiye, Recep Tayyip ErdoÄan.
- Turkey Successfully Tests Homegrown Air-to-Air Gokdogan Missile Sputnik 10 Jul 2022 -- Turkey conducted successful tests of its homegrown air-to-air Gokdogan missile, equipped with a radar target-seeking head, Defense Industry Agency President Ismail Demir said on Sunday.
- Sweden Has Reportedly Prepared List of 10 PKK Members for Extradition to Turkey Sputnik 10 Jul 2022 -- Sweden has prepared a list of ten Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) members for extradition to Turkey after signing a memorandum in Madrid, Turkish broadcaster TRT Haber reported on Sunday.
- Turkey's new rare-earth reserves won't affect Chinese industry, offer cooperation opportunity Global Times 10 Jul 2022 -- China's technological and industrial advantage in the global rare-earth industry will be maintained into the future, and the discovery of a rare-earth reserve in Turkey won't have an obvious impact on China's global position, a number of Chinese rare-earth companies said. Industry analysts also said on Sunday the newly discovered rare-earth reserves could present opportunity for China and Turkey to cooperate.
- Syrian Kurds in Contact With US About Turkey's Planned Military Operation, SDC Says Sputnik 08 Jul 2022 -- The Syrian Democratic Council (SDC), the political wing of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, is in touch with the US government about Turkey's planned military operation in northern Syria and have been reassured that Washington stands opposed to it, SDC Representative in the United States, Bassam Saker, told Sputnik.
- Ukraine says Turkey releases Russian-flagged ship carrying 'Ukrainian grain' Press TV 07 Jul 2022 -- Ukraine says Turkey has released a recently-detained Russian-flagged cargo ship carrying "Ukrainian grain", as Kiev constantly accuses Moscow of stealing Ukrainian grain from the Black Sea ports of the ex-Soviet country.
- Turkey Introduced 'Red Lines' on Terrorism to NATO, Finland, Sweden, Erdogan Says Sputnik 07 Jul 2022 -- Turkey informed the leadership of NATO, Sweden and Finland about the so-called red lines concerning the organizations that Ankara deems as terrorist, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday, commenting on how a memorandum was concluded in Madrid.
- Turkish, Somali presidents discuss regional security, humanitarian aid People's Daily 07 Jul 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Erdogan met on Wednesday with his visiting Somalian counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud in the capital Ankara to discuss regional security and humanitarian aid to the African country.
- Turkey renews extradition requests with Sweden, Finland after NATO membership deal People's Daily 07 Jul 2022 -- Turkey on Wednesday renewed its extradition requests for "terror suspects" with Finland and Sweden, following a deal it made with the Nordic countries for their NATO bid.
- Turkish president pledges to boost energy, defense cooperation with Italy People's Daily 06 Jul 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed to enhance economic cooperation with Italy, particularly in the fields of energy and defense.
- Kazakhstan May Terminate Lease of Cargo Ship Detained in Turkey, Industry Minister Says Sputnik 05 Jul 2022 -- Kazakhstan may terminate the lease agreement for its Zhibek Zholy cargo ship, recently detained in Turkey over the suspicion that it was smuggling Ukrainian grain, if the investigation confirms that the ship's lessee has violated the law, Kazakh Industry Minister Kairbek Uskenbayev said on Tuesday.
- Zaporozhye Region Head Denies Russian Cargo Ship Seized in Turkey on Suspicion of Smuggling Grain Sputnik 05 Jul 2022 -- Yevgeny Balytsky, the head of the Zaporozhye Region's new military-civilian administration, denied on Tuesday that Russian-flagged cargo ship Zhibek Zholy had been detained in Turkey on suspicion of smuggling Ukrainian grain.
- 'They Have to Comply': Ankara Will Still Veto NATO Accession if Finland, Sweden Don't Keep to Deal Sputnik 05 Jul 2022 -- While Turkish, Finnish and Swedish leaders have signed a protocol that ostensibly ends a dispute over support for Kurdish groups and individuals, Ankara has signaled it expects the Northern European states to live up to their end of the bargain or the deal is off.
- Turkish military strikes Syrian villages with missiles, artillery shells Press TV 05 Jul 2022 -- The occupying Turkish military has taken the Western Syrian province of Aleppo's villages under a heavy bombardment campaign.
<li><a href="/military/library/news/2022/07/mil-220705-sputnik08.htm">Sweden Denies Discussing Extraditions With Turkey in Madrid</a> <u>Sputnik</u> 05 Jul 2022 -- Sweden and Turkey have not discussed any specific arrangements on extradition of people designated "terrorist" and wanted by Ankara during their meeting in Madrid, Swedish Foreign Minister Ann Linde said on Tuesday.</li>
- Turkey detained Russian cargo ship carrying grain at Ukraine's request: Reports Press TV 04 Jul 2022 -- Turkish customs authorities detained a Russian-flagged cargo ship carrying grain at Ukraine's request, reports said Monday.
- Turkey Holding Russian-Flagged Ship As Grain Cargo Investigated RFE/RL 04 Jul 2022 -- A Turkish official and the port-operating company on July 4 confirmed that authorities had stopped a Russian-flagged cargo ship and are investigating claims by Ukraine that it was carrying stolen grain.
- Syria welcomes Iran's effort to help ease tension with Turkey People's Daily 04 Jul 2022 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad on Saturday evening said his country welcomes any role played by Iran in easing the tension between Syria and Turkey and achieving political progress.
- Russia urges unconditional halt to Israeli strikes on Syria Press TV 04 Jul 2022 -- Russia has demanded an unconditional cessation of Israeli strikes on Syria, saying they are unacceptable.
- Turkey Does Not Consider That Russia Will Meddle With Its Syria Op - Cavusoglu Sputnik 04 Jul 2022 -- Turkey does not believe that Russia will interfere with the operation of the Turkish Armed Forces in northern Syria, but disagreements exist, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said.
- Iran, Russia, Turkey Considering Plan To Jointly Manufacture Automobiles RFE/RL 04 Jul 2022 -- Industry officials from Iran, Russia, and Turkey are considering a joint program to design and manufacture automobiles in view of disruptions caused by Western sanctions, Iranian state media reported.
- Turkish Opposition to Tap Presidential Candidate in August - Reports Sputnik 03 Jul 2022 -- The Turkish opposition will decide on their candidate to run in the 2023 presidential race in August but will disclose their pick sometime next year, Turkish media reported on Sunday.
- Amirabdollahian: Turkey's military operations in Syria will cause regional instability IRNA 02 Jul 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian said that any kind of military operation by Turkey in Northern Syria will result in instability and insecurity in the region.
- Iran FM conveyed ErdoÄan's security concerns to Bashar Assad ISNA 03 Jul 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian by referring to his latest meeting with President of Syria Bashar Assad said, "During the visit, I conveyed security concerns, which Turkish President and Foreign Minister shared with me, to the Syrian President".
- Turkish Drone Bayraktar Successfully Test-Fires New Laser-Guided Missile Sputnik 02 Jul 2022 -- A Turkish attack drone, Bayraktar Akinci, successfully test-fired a new laser-guided missile on Saturday, expected to become a game changer, the chief executive of the Turkish national defense firm ASELSAN said.
- Iranian Foreign Minister Travels To Damascus Amid Tensions Between Syria, Turkey RFE/RL 02 Jul 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian has traveled to Damascus in a bid to "prevent a new crisis" amid tensions between Syria and Turkey over Ankara's threats to launch a new offensive against Kurdish militias in northern Syria.
- Erdogan: Turkey to Further Strengthen Armed Forces Making it 'Strongest in the World' Sputnik 01 Jul 2022 -- Turkey will continue to strengthen the army until it becomes the strongest in the world, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday.
- Ukraine Asks Turkey To Detain Ship Believed To Be Carrying Ukrainian Grain RFE/RL 01 Jul 2022 -- Ukraine has asked Turkey to detain a Russian-flagged cargo ship believed to be carrying Ukrainian grain that Kyiv says set off from Berdyansk, a Ukrainian port occupied by Russian forces.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list