Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2009 - Taiwan Special Weapons News
- President Ma: progress in cross-strait relations just beginning CNA 31 Jul 2009 -- President Ma Ying-jeou said Friday in an interview with Bloomberg News that progress in cross-strait relations, such as the establishment of direct flights, is just beginning
- China and Taiwan Leaders Exchange Letters for First Time VOA 27 Jul 2009 -- China's President Hu Jintao has sent his Taiwan counterpart Ma Ying-jeou a telegram, applauding his election as ruling party chief. The letter was the first direct communication between the leaders of the two governments in 60 years.
- President Ma elected KMT chairman CNA 26 Jul 2009 -- Running unopposed, President Ma Ying-jeou was elected chairman of the ruling Kuomintang (KMT) Sunday with 285,354 votes, or 92
- Blackmail case under investigation: defense ministry CNA 24 Jul 2009 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) on Friday downplayed an attempt by a military insider to blackmail the ministry's armaments chief, saying that the case is under judicial investigation
- Defection case will not affect military core values: MND CNA 24 Jul 2009 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Friday that the defection of Justin Lin, a former Republic of China army captain who is now a World Bank senior vice president and China's top economist, will not be allowed to undermine the core values of the armed forces
- Defense ministry ends chauffeur services for retired generals CNA 24 Jul 2009 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) has stopped assigning chauffeured vehicles to serve retired generals on a regular basis, military spokesman Yu Sy-tue said Friday, in response to complaints from the top government watchdog
- Control Yuan corrects MND over defector case CNA 23 Jul 2009 -- Taiwan's top watchdog Control Yuan issued a correction Thursday to the Ministry of National Defense (MND) over the ministry's failure to properly handle a case involving World Bank Senior Vice President Justin Yifu Lin, who defected to China from Taiwan over 40 years ago
- Taiwan Sees Gains in Closer Ties With Mainland China VOA 16 Jul 2009 -- Thawing relations between Taiwan and China over past year has brought unprecedented economic exchanges between the rivals.
- President orders Defense Ministry to review plane crashes CNA 16 Jul 2009 -- President Ma instructed the Ministry of National Defense to look into several military plane crashes.
- Air force F-5Fs grounded after crash CNA 15 Jul 2009 -- Taiwan grounded all of its F-5F jet fighters after plane of this type crashed into the sea off the outlying island of Penghu during a routine training flight.
- F-5F twin-seat jet fighter loses contact off Penghu CNA 15 Jul 2009 -- Taiwanese F-5F twin-seat jet fighter lost contact with militry air controllers during a routine training flight off the outlying island of Penghu.
- President wants complete probe into military corruption CNA 10 Jul 2009 -- President Ma Ying-jeou has instructed the Ministry of National Defense (MND) to get to the bottom of alleged corruption involving military personnel to restore the public's confidence in the military, the Presidential Office spokesman said Friday
- Defense ministry releases investigative report on corruption CNA 08 Jul 2009 -- Taiwan Ministry of Defense released an investigative report on internal corruption.
- Defense ministry opposed to flights across Taiwan Strait middle line CNA 06 Jul 2009 -- Taiwan's MND expressed opposition to call for Taiwan to open the Taiwan Strait center line to accommodate more flights
- Taiwan voices concern over North Korea's missile launches KCNA 04 Jul 2009 -- BUG: the mark does not exist in the description file
- Taiwan military officers to observe U.S. Air Force drill CNA 01 Jul 2009 -- Taiwan's Air Force will send a team of five to six officers to observe for the first time an air drill to be conducted by the US Air Force.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list