Syria urges UN to censure terror attacks against civilians in Hama, Idlib
Iran Press TV
Tue Jun 4, 2019 08:25AM
Syria has written to the UN to demand that the world body denounce terrorist attacks against civilians in the provinces of Hama and Idlib, stressing that such raids will not undermine the Damascus government's resolve to rid the country of foreign-backed Takfiri militants.
In a letter addressed to both the UN chief and the Security Council chairman on Monday, the Syrian Foreign Affairs and Expatriates Ministry complained that armed terrorist organizations keep launching missile attacks in the countrysides of Hama and Idlib, the provincial capitals, killing scores of civilians.
Syria called on the Security Council and UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres "to immediately condemn those terrorist escalations and support the Syrian state's efforts in its war against terrorism," the ministry said.
It also appealed to the 15-member Security Council to take "deterring measures against countries which back terrorism in light of UN relevant resolutions, particularly No. 2170, 2178, 2199 and 2253."
Syria further emphasized that terrorist attacks would not affect its stance in fighting terrorism as well as its efforts to rebuild the country and restore security and stability to the war-stricken state.
It also slammed the Security Council's Western member states for spreading fake news about Syria's counter-terrorism campaign in Idlib in a bid to protect al-Nusra Front terrorists operating in the region.
"Some Security Council member states, particularly the US and Western states, circulate fake information that the Syrian army and its allies shell civilian targets and facilities in Idlib," the Syrian Foreign Ministry said. "Unfortunately, some officials at UN General Secretariat ... are completing the circle of unprofessional information which mainly aims to mislead the world public opinion to protect Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist organization."
Idlib remains the only large area in the hands of anti-Damascus militants after government forces – backed by Iran and Russia – managed to undo militant gains across the country and bring back almost all of Syrian soil under government control.
It is estimated that between 10,000 and 15,000 militants are active in the volatile province.
In recent weeks, Syrian armed forces have been conducting counter-terrorism operations in areas surrounding Idlib.
The Syrian army has warned civilians to leave Idlib amid preparations for a final military campaign to flush terrorists out of the region.
Last week, Syria's UN Ambassador Bashar al-Ja'afari said Takfiri militants based in Idlib are using civilians as "human shields."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|