Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2019 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Syrian army forces inflict heavy losses on elite 'Red Brigade' militants Press TV 30 Jun 2019 -- Syrian government forces, supported by fighters from allied popular defense groups, have carried out a major counterattack operation against foreign-backed Takfiri militants in the country's west-central province of Hama, inflicting losses on them.
- US Pressing Germany for Extending Its Military Action in Syria – Report Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- US officials allegedly want the German military to continue their missions in the country, as well as deploy forces on the ground. If the German government pursues the move, it could put the CDU/CSU bloc on a collision course with the Social Democrats, who want their country to pull forces out of Syria.
- Turkey Moving Special Forces, Military Equipment to Syrian Border - Reports Sputnik 28 Jun 2019 -- Turkey is moving special forces and military equipment to its border with Syria, the Anadolu news agency reported on Friday, after Turkish forces shelled the Syrian army's positions in Idlib.
- Turkey Launches Strike on Positions in Syria - Reports Sputnik 28 Jun 2019 -- Earlier in the day, Ikhbariya broadcaster reported that the Turkish military had fired 18 mortars on the villages in Syria's Hama province from the south of Idlib.
- Turkish Forces Shell Villages in Syria's Hama Province From Idlib - Reports Sputnik 28 Jun 2019 -- The Turkish military has attacked villages in the northwest of Syria's Hama province from the neighbouring Idlib province in the early hours of Friday, local media reported.
- US-Led Coalition Admits Killing at Least 1,319 Civilians in Syria, Iraq - Casualty Report Sputnik 27 Jun 2019 -- US-led forces have killed at least 1,319 civilians while battling the Daesh* terror group in Syria and Iraq, the Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve (JTF-OIR) said in its monthly casualty assessment on Thursday.
- Russia repels militant drone attack on Hmeimim air base in Syria's Latakia Press TV 27 Jun 2019 -- The Russian Defense Ministry's Center for Syrian Reconciliation says its surface-to-air missile systems have managed to foil an attack by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants against the country's strategic Hmeimim air base in Syria's western coastal province of Latakia.
- Syria's Idlib 'on the brink' of a nightmare, humanitarian chiefs warn, launching global solidarity campaign UN News 27 Jun 2019 -- The heads of 11 global humanitarian organizations warned on Thursday that the embattled rebel-held province of Idlib in Syria, stands on the brink of disaster, with three million civilian lives at risk, including one million children.
- 'Devastating' Islamic State Comeback Within Sight, Report Warns VOA 26 Jun 2019 -- The Islamic State terror group has set conditions for a comeback that "could be faster and even more devastating" than when it first burst onto the world stage, according to a new report out Wednesday.
- UN Asks Russia For Answers About Bombed Hospitals In Syria RFE/RL 26 Jun 2019 -- The United Nations humanitarian coordinator said on June 25 that he had asked Russia to provide details on how it was using the location coordinates of hospitals in Syria following a string of attacks on health-care facilities.
- Militants in Syria Tried to Attack Russia's Kmeymim Airbase with Drones - Military Sputnik 26 Jun 2019 -- Previously, the head of Russia's Reconciliation Centre in Syria said that militant groups acting in the Idlib de-escalation zone haven't ceased their attempts to attack Russia's Hmeymim base and Syrian government troops.
- Car Bomb Targets Former IS Stronghold in Syria VOA 26 Jun 2019 -- A powerful explosion on Wednesday rocked a town in northeast Syria, local sources told VOA.
- Syria: Ease suffering, save lives, UN Emergency Relief Coordinator tells Security Council UN News 25 Jun 2019 -- "Week after week, month after month, year after year", the Security Council has been briefed on Syria's humanitarian suffering, and on Tuesday, the UN's Emergency Relief Coordinator once again described "the latest horror facing civilians", pleading for greater humanitarian access.
- Joint Statement by the Political Director's of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS US Dept. of State 25 Jun 2019
- Statelessness for terrorists' families, never an acceptable option, urges UN rights chief UN News 24 Jun 2019 -- Thousands of suspected foreign ISIL terrorist fighters and their families who are being held in detention in Syria and Iraq, must be treated fairly by their captors and taken back by their home countries, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said on Monday.
- UN's Bachelet: Denying Fair Trials Leads to Radicalization VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet says all individuals suspected of crimes, even former Islamic State fighters, are entitled to due process guarantees. She warns failure to guarantee such risks further radicalization and violence.
- Analysts: New Rebel Offensive May Further Complicate Syria's Conflict VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- Syrian rebel groups have launched a major offensive this week against government troops in a Syrian province in what is seen by analysts as a new twist to the ongoing conflict in the northwestern part of the country.
- Syrian air defenses target terrorists' combat drone in Hama Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- Syrian air defense systems have intercepted and shot down an unmanned aerial vehicles launched by members of the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham Takfiri terrorist group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front, in the country's western-central province of Hama.
- Syrian Army Downs Drone Flying Over Air Force Base in Hama - Reports Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- Earlier this month, the Syrian state-run broadcaster reported that the country's air defence confronted terrorists' unmanned flying vehicles near a helipad in Jubb Ramlah village in Hama province.
- Syria: 'Deplorable' violence in Idlib against civilians, humanitarian workers must 'stop immediately', says senior UN envoy UN News 21 Jun 2019 -- Acts of violence against civilians, humanitarian workers and civilian infrastructure in Idlib are "deplorable", the United Nations Regional Humanitarian Coordinator for the Syria Crisis said on Friday, condemning them "in the strongest terms".
- FM Muallem vows to 'liberate all of Syria' from terrorists Press TV 20 Jun 2019 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem has stressed the Damascus government's resolve to rid the entire Arab country of foreign-backed terrorists and retake all Syrian territory.
- Information on government forces' operations in Idlib false, based on lies: Syrian UN envoy Press TV 19 Jun 2019 -- The Syrian ambassador to the United Nations says the Western information on the Syrian army's operations in Idlib province is based on lies.
- UN Chief Calls On Russia, Turkey To Stabilize Syria's Idlib Province RFE/RL 19 Jun 2019 -- United Nations chief Antonio Guterres has called on Russia and Turkey to stabilize Syria's rebel-held Idlib Province, which he says is suffering "a humanitarian disaster."
- Syria: Humanitarian disaster in Idlib 'unfolding before our eyes' says top UN relief official UN News 18 Jun 2019 -- Unabating violence, destruction and a downward sprial in overall conditions for the desperate people trapped in north-western Syria's Idlib were in the spotlight as the United Nations Emergency Relief Coordinator told the Security Council on Tuesday that "we are faced with a humanitarian disaster unfolding before our eyes".
- Syria does not want fighting with Turkey: Muallem Press TV 18 Jun 2019 -- Syria's Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem says Damascus does after any conflict with Ankara after Turkish and Syrian government forces reportedly exchanged fire in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, the last major bastion of terrorists in the Arab country.
- Statement on attacks on health facilities in the Idlib area of Syria UK FCO 18 Jun 2019 -- Statement to Parliament by Dr Andrew Murrison, Minister of State for the Middle East and Minister of State for International Development.
- Turkish, Russian Defence Ministers Reaffirm Commitment to Syria Agreements - Statement Sputnik 18 Jun 2019 -- Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar held phone talks with Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu on Monday in which the ministers reaffirmed their two countries' commitment to the agreements reached in Sochi and during the Astana process on the deescalation of violence in Syria, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said.
- Car bomb explosion rocks northeastern Syrian city of Qamishli; casualties reported Press TV 17 Jun 2019 -- Several people have lost their lives or sustained injuries when a powerful explosion ripped through a residential area in Syria's Kurdish-populated northeastern city of Qamishli on the border with Turkey.
- 12 civilians killed after mortar attack hits Syrian wedding party Press TV 17 Jun 2019 -- At least 12 Syrian civilians have been killed and more than a dozen injured after a wedding party was hit by a terrorist mortar attack in Aleppo's suburbs.
- Syrian forces launch retaliatory strikes in Idlib, Hama Press TV 16 Jun 2019 -- Syrian government forces have conducted retaliatory strikes against the positions of Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front, in Hama and Idlib provinces.
- Wildfires cause explosion at Syrian military zone in Damascus suburbs Press TV 15 Jun 2019 -- Syria's official news agency SANA says an explosion at a Syrian army ammunition depot in a military zone northwest of the capital Damascus was caused by wildfires.
- Syrian refugees staying in Lebanon for economic reasons, not security fear: Bassil Press TV 15 Jun 2019 -- Lebanese Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil says Syrian refugees are staying in Lebanon for economic reasons, even though three quarters of them could return to their homeland as they face no fear of political persecution or threat to their security.
- Russia, Syria bomb gathering of Jabhat al-Nusra ringleaders Press TV 14 Jun 2019 -- Syrian and Russian warplanes have jointly carried out precision attacks against the positions of Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front, in the northwestern province of Idlib.
- Turkey disputes Russia on Idlib truce after post attacked Press TV 13 Jun 2019 -- Turkey has denied Russian assertions that a ceasefire had been put in place in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib and demanded Russia restore calm in the last major bastion of foreign-backed terrorists.
- Russia, Turkey broker ceasefire in Syria's embattled Idlib Press TV 13 Jun 2019 -- Russia and Turkey have brokered a full ceasefire agreement in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib aimed at halting clashes between government forces and militants in the area, the last major bastion of foreign-backed terrorists in the Arab country.
- Russia Launches Airstrikes on Idlib Militants After Attack on Turkish Observation Post - MoD Sputnik 13 Jun 2019 -- Three Turkish soldiers manning an observation post in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib were injured in a mortar attack on 13 June, the Turkish Defence Ministry said in a statement.
- Syrian air defense systems shoot down Israeli missiles in western Dara'a Press TV 12 Jun 2019 -- Syrian air defense systems have intercepted a number of "hostile” missiles fired by the Israeli military, more than a week after government force foiled another Israeli act of aggression against the country.
- Moscow, Damascus to hand crushing response to terrorists in Idlib: Lavrov Press TV 11 Jun 2019 -- Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Moscow and Damascus will give a "crushing" response to militants launching attacks in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, the last major stronghold of foreign-backed terrorists in the Arab state.
- Intensified fighting in Syria's NW could force 2 million Syrians to flee to Turkey, warns UN Press TV 10 Jun 2019 -- The United Nations has warned that up to two million Syrians could flee to Turkey if fighting further escalates in the northwestern parts of the Arab country.
- US Pushes Germany to Remain in Syria for Spy, Training Missions – Report Sputnik 08 Jun 2019 -- Germany has been taking part in the US-led coalition in Syria since 2015, helping the allies with reconnaissance and mid-air refuelling. The German jets and soldiers, now based in Jordan, were set to leave the country this year. However, Washington has reportedly tried to persuade Berlin to stay to assist in a safe zone in northern Syria.
- Syrian Army Repels Terrorist Attack, 140 Militants Estimated Dead - Russian MoD Sputnik 07 Jun 2019 -- According to the Russian centre for Syrian reconciliation, militants attacked Hama province on 6-7 June.
- Over 70,000 in Syria's Al-Hawl Camp Need Aid - UN Sputnik 07 Jun 2019 -- More than 1,500 refugees have already left Syria's Al-Hawl refugee camp, but the more than 70,000 people who remain in the settlement need immediate assistance and protection, United Nations Special Envoy for Syria Senior Humanitarian Advisor Najat Rochdi said in a statement on Thursday.
- Attacks on Civilians, Infrastructure in Syria Might Be War Crimes VOA 07 Jun 2019 -- The United Nations is demanding an immediate end to indiscriminate attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure in northwest Syria, warning the warring parties their actions might amount to war crimes.
- Syria: Urgent, concrete actions needed, to protect children too young to 'make sense of this senseless war' UN News 06 Jun 2019 -- New firsthand reporting by UN staff in Syria reveals "increasingly horrific brutality" by all parties in the de-escalation area of the country's northwest, causing "significant civilian causalities" and hundreds of thousands displaced, a senior humanitarian official said on Thursday.
- Islamic State's English-Speaking Supporters Rallying on Telegram VOA 06 Jun 2019 -- English-speaking Islamic State supporters are refusing to give up on the terror group's ability to remain a force in Syria and Iraq, according to a new study that examined their behavior on the Telegram instant messaging service.
- Coalition War Planes Holding Fire Against IS in Syria VOA 05 Jun 2019 -- U.S. and coalition jets have been quiet in the skies over Syria, failing to launch any airstrikes against remnants of the Islamic State terror group for a second consecutive month.
- Militants Breach Ceasefire in 3 Syrian Provinces in Past 24 Hours – Russian MoD Sputnik 06 Jun 2019 -- Militants have violated the ceasefire in the Syrian provinces Hama and Latakia as well as in the city of Aleppo over the past 24 hours, the head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Centre for Syrian Reconciliation, Maj. Gen. Viktor Kupchishin, said on Wednesday.
- Armenia Sends Another Group Of Sappers, Medics To Syria RFE/RL 05 Jun 2019 -- Armenia says it has sent a new team of demining experts and other personnel to Syria as part of what it describes as a humanitarian mission with the assistance of Russia.
- Syrian Weapon System Damaged by Alleged Israeli Strike, Israeli Spy Firm Claims Sputnik 05 Jun 2019 -- Earlier, Syria's state-run media reported that at least one soldier was killed and two more wounded when Israel launched an airstrike on Syria's T-4 airbase near the northern city of Homs on Sunday.
- Syrian air defenses intercept, shoot down terrorist drones in Hama Press TV 04 Jun 2019 -- Syrian air defense systems have intercepted and shot down a squadron of unmanned aerial vehicles launched by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the country's western-central province of Hama.
- Syrian army forces recapture villages on northern edge of Hama Press TV 04 Jun 2019 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have managed to establish control over several villages in the country's western-central province of Hama following intense clashes with members of the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham Takfiri terrorist group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front.
- Syria urges UN to censure terror attacks against civilians in Hama, Idlib Press TV 04 Jun 2019 -- Syria has written to the UN to demand that the world body denounce terrorist attacks against civilians in the provinces of Hama and Idlib, stressing that such raids will not undermine the Damascus government's resolve to rid the country of foreign-backed Takfiri militants.
- Syrian Air Defences Down Terrorist Drones in Hama Province - Report Sputnik 04 Jun 2019 -- The unmanned flying vehicles were confronted near a helipad in Jubb Ramlah village in Hama province, Reuters reported on Tuesday, citing the Syrian state-run broadcaster.
- Vital food crops destroyed in Syria amid upsurge in fighting across Idlib, Hama UN News 04 Jun 2019 -- Thousands of acres of crops have been destroyed in Syria's Idlib and north Hama provinces amid ongoing deadly violence, the World Food Programme (WFP) said on Tuesday, in a call to the warring parties to stop using food security to hold people "hostage".
- WFP: Growing Violence Destroys Vital Crops, Farmland in NW Syria VOA 04 Jun 2019 -- The World Food Program says escalating violence has destroyed crops and farmland in Idlib and North Hama in northwest Syria, depriving thousands of people of food.
- Militants Shell 2 Syrian Provinces in Past 24 Hours - Russian Military Sputnik 04 Jun 2019 -- Militant groups have violated the ceasefire in the Syrian provinces of Latakia and Idlib over the past 24 hours, the Russian Defence Ministry's Centre for Syrian Reconciliation said in a statement on Monday.
- Kremlin rebuffs Trump on Syria, says Russia targeting terrorists Press TV 03 Jun 2019 -- The Kremlin has rebuffed US President Donald Trump's criticism of Russian and Syrian military action in Syria's Idlib province, saying their military forces are targeting foreign-backed "terrorists" in their last stronghold and that the Takfiri militants are using the northwestern region as a base to launch attacks against civilian and military targets.
- Netanyahu admits to personally ordering Syria strikes Press TV 03 Jun 2019 -- In a rare public acknowledgement of Israeli operations, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he personally ordered the recent airstrikes against Syrian military positions.
- Syria says its T-4 airbase near Homs targeted by Israeli missiles Press TV 03 Jun 2019 -- Israel has launched missile attacks against the T-4 airbase near the city of Homs in Western Syria , killing an army soldier and wounding two others, Syrian state media says.
- HRW Blasts Russia, Syria Over Banned Weapons Attacks RFE/RL 03 Jun 2019 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) has accused the Syrian-Russian "military alliance" of using a "cocktail of internationally banned and indiscriminate weapons" in attacks on civilians in northwestern Syria.
- Militants Attacked Settlements in 2 Syrian Provinces in Past 24 Hours Sputnik 03 Jun 2019 -- Militants attacked residential areas in Syria's northwestern provinces of Latakia and Hama over the past day, thereby violating the ceasefire agreement, the Russian Centre for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides in Syria said at a daily briefing on Sunday.
- Syrian Government Bombs Market, Ignoring Trump Warning VOA 03 Jun 2019 -- Government forces in Syria have bombed a market in the country's northwest, killing at least four civilians, hours after U.S. President Donald Trump demanded Syria, Russia and Iran stop "bombing the hell out of Idlib province in Syria."
- Trump Tweets to Syria and its Allies Stop 'Bombing The Hell Out of Idlib' VOA 03 Jun 2019 -- President Donald Trump is demanding Syria, Russia and Iran stop "bombing the hell out of Idlib province in Syria."
- Israel Makes Missile Strike on Syrian Airfield, 1 Person Killed - Syrian Source Sputnik 03 Jun 2019 -- Several powerful explosions have occurred and fire started at T-4 military airbase in Syrian province of Homs, source reported earlier. Later, a Syrian military source reported a missile attack by Israel.
- Syria rebuffs statement issued after OIC Mecca summit Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- Syria has rejected a final communique issued following a Saudi-hosted summit of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Mecca, saying it reflected the submission of some participating countries to their masters in Washington.
- Syrian air defenses confront Israeli attacks: State media Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- Syria's air defense systems have confronted Israeli attacks in the country's southwest, state media say, adding that three soldiers were killed in the raids.
- Israel Strikes Syrian Military Targets in Response to Golan Rocket Fire Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- On Saturday evening, the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) reported that two projectiles were fired from Syrian territory in the direction of Mount Hermon in Northern Israel.
- Israeli Army Says Attack on Syrian Military Targets Was Retaliatory Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- Syria's air defence systems have shot down enemy missiles to the south of Damascus, Syria's SANA state news agency reported Sunday. Later, the agency reported that continued missile strikes resulted in three Syrian soldiers killed.
- 10 killed, 20 wounded in twin Daesh car bombing in Syria's Raqqa Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- The Takfiri terrorist group Daesh has launched two major car bombings in northern Syria, killing 10 people and injuring 20 more.
- Rights Groups: Abuses on the Rise in Syria's Afrin VOA 01 Jun 2019 -- Rights groups are expressing concerns over the increasing abuses against civilians by rebel forces in the northwestern Syrian city of Afrin.
- Two Projectiles Launched Toward Northern Israel From Syria - IDF Sputnik 01 Jun 2019 -- The news of the launch comes after the Israeli military said on Monday it had hit what it called a Syrian military target in Quneitra province in response to a missile which was fired at an Israeli Air Forces jet.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list