ISIL claims to have taken Syria military headquarters
Iran Press TV
Fri Aug 8, 2014 7:40AM GMT
A video has surfaced in social media showing purported ISIL militants claiming to have seized a military headquarters in north-central Syria.
The amateur footage showed the purported militants from the Takfiri group claiming to have taken control of the 93th Brigade military base in the city of Raqqa.
It also showed the bodies of soldiers scattered around the scene of the battle.
The UK-based so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) has said at least 27 Syrian forces were killed in an assault on the headquarters. The group said 11 ISIL militants were also killed in the attack, including three who blew themselves up at the base.
ISIL militants now "control major parts of the base," the opposition-affiliated observatory claimed.
The terrorists have already captured a large part of the Raqqa Province.
The SOHR said some troops had already pulled out of the headquarters in July following the capture by ISIL of Division 17, another base in the region, where at least 85 people were killed in fighting or were summarily executed shortly afterwards.
Syria has been gripped by deadly unrest since 2011. According to reports, the Western powers and their regional allies - especially Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey - are supporting the militants operating inside the country.
According to some sources, more than 170,000 people have been killed and millions displaced due to the turmoil.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|