Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2014 - Syria Special Weapons News
- UN: Philippine Peacekeepers Safe After 'Greatest Escape' VOA 31 Aug 2014 -- The United Nations said all the Philippine peacekeepers seized by Syrian rebels in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights last week are now safe, but 44 Fijian peacekeepers are still missing.
- 'Militants returning from Iraq, Syria may attack Germany' Iran Press TV 31 Aug 2014 -- The chief of Germany's domestic security agency has warned of the potential attacks against the country by militants returning from Iraq and Syria.
- Israeli Military Downs Syrian Drone Over Golan Heights RIA Novosti 31 Aug 2014 -- Israeli military have shot down a drone that flew into Israeli-controlled airspace near the Golan Heights.
- UN peacekeepers in the Golan come under renewed attack UN News Centre 30 Aug 2014 -- The United Nations said its peacekeepers in the Golan were attacked by armed elements.
- Pentagon Prepares Options for President on ISIL AFPS 29 Aug 2014 -- Military officials here and at U.S. Central Command are working to present President Barack Obama with options to contain the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in Syria.
- Pentagon: Iraq Operations Cost $7.5 Million Daily VOA 29 Aug 2014 -- The Pentagon says U.S. military operations against Islamic State militants in Iraq are costing, on average, $7.5 million per day.
- Obama Signals No Immediate Airstrikes in Syria VOA 29 Aug 2014 -- President Barack Obama is downplaying the possibility of imminent U.S. airstrikes against Islamic extremists in Syria, as the insurgents released a new video appearing to show another brutal beheading.
- Coalition to Fight Islamic State Could Reward Assad VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- The United States along with European and Mideast allies are considering a broader assault against Islamic State fighters who have spread from Syria into Iraq and risk further destabilizing an already troubled region.
- Number of Syrian refugees tops 3 million as insecurity grows – UN agency UN News Centre 29 Aug 2014 -- Three million Syrians will have registered as refugees outside of their country today, the UN refugee agency reported.
- Besieged UN peacekeepers ready to fight Syria militants Iran Press TV 29 Aug 2014 -- About 75 members of a UN peacekeeping force besieged by Takfiri militants in Syria say they are ready to use force to defend themselves.
- Obama Tasks DoD for Options Against ISIL AFPS 28 Aug 2014 -- President Barack Obama has directed Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to present a range of options aimed at the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- Is West Doing Enough to Tackle Islamic State? VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has ruled out sending ground troops to Iraq to fight militants of the so-called Islamic State or ISIS, despite officials in Washington describing the extremist group as the biggest threat the United States has faced in years.
- US Seeks International Coalition to Defeat IS Militants VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- The United States Wednesday said it is seeking to build an international coalition to confront the threat posed by Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria and Iraq.
- Obama weighs hitting ISIL, Congress demands approval Iran Press TV 28 Aug 2014 -- Calls are growing on Capitol Hill for US President Barack Obama to seek congressional approval before he expands the military air campaign against ISIL targets from Iraq into neighboring Syria.
- Assad no ally in fight against ISIL: France Iran Press TV 28 Aug 2014 -- French President Francois Hollande has rejected any cooperation with the Damascus government in the fight against ISIL Takfiri militants operating inside Syria, accusing President Bashar al-Assad of being an ally of the terrorists.
- OPCW Destroys 93% of Syrian Chemical Weapons Arsenal RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has destroyed 93 percent of chemical weapons agents removed from Syria.
- Syrian Army's Air Strike Kills Over Ten Islamic State Terrorists RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2014 -- More than 10 Islamic State (IS) terrorists were killed as a result on a Syrian government air strike that also destroyed 14 armored vehicles.
- UN reports improved humanitarian access to Syria for first time in six months UN News Centre 28 Aug 2014 -- For the first time in six months, there has been some improvement recently on humanitarian access to Syria.
- UN Peacekeepers Detained in Syria VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- The United Nations said 43 of its peacekeepers had been captured by an armed group on the border with Syria and Israel, and another 81 are unable to leave their positions near the border crossing.
- Syrian Extradited to US on Terrorism Charges VOA 28 Aug 2014 -- A Syrian man accused in a plot to attack U.S. troops in Iraq has been extradited to the United States.
- Syria’s brutal war threatens international peace and security UN News Centre 27 Aug 2014 -- Mass atrocities by Government forces and non-State armed groups continue to take place in Syria, causing immeasurable suffering to civilians and contributing to a spillover of violence affecting international peace and stability.
- UN: 'Mass Atrocities' Taking Place in Syria VOA 27 Aug 2014 -- The United Nations says "mass atrocities" continue to take place in Syria as Islamic extremists grow more powerful and foreign fighters enter the war.
- Islamic State Growing Larger Than Al-Qaeda Ever Thought They Could - Experts RIA Novosti 26 Aug 2014 -- The Islamic State (IS) jihadi movement has evidently overshadowed al-Qaeda, claim terrorism experts.
- US Official: Obama Approves Surveillance Flights Over Syria VOA 26 Aug 2014 -- A senior White House official says President Barack Obama has authorized surveillance flights over Syria.
- Obama Authorizes Surveillance Flights Over Syria RIA Novosti 26 Aug 2014 -- US President Barack Obama has approved surveillance flights over Syria.
- 'US to use spy aircraft to track ISIL in Syria' Iran Press TV 26 Aug 2014 -- The United States is planning to send spy planes into Syria to track ISIL militants who have captured large swaths of territory in neighboring Iraq.
- Dempsey says no strikes on ISIL in Syria yet Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- General Martin Dempsey says he would not recommend US airstrikes against the ISIL terrorist group within Syria after raising the specter of such military action.
- Syria Urges International Help in Fighting Islamic State VOA 25 Aug 2014 -- Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem is urging the international community to cooperate with his government and demanding that neighboring states stop their alleged support for the jihadist group.
- Syria warns US against unilateral airstrikes on ISIL Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- Syria’s Foreign Minister Walid Muallem has warned the United States against carrying out airstrikes on the Takfiri ISIL terrorists inside Syria without Damascus’ consent.
- Germany Not Planning to Supply Syria With Arms to Fight Islamists – Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- Germany has no plans to supply arms to fight Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria, a spokesman for the German Foreign Ministry, Martin Schaefer said.
- Over 500 killed in Syria air base fighting Iran Press TV 25 Aug 2014 -- Some 350 ISIL militants and more than 170 Syrian army soldiers have been killed after Takfiri militants seized an air base in northeast Syria following days of fierce clashes.
- Obama: 'World Appalled' By Foley Beheading RFE/RL 20 Aug 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has said the whole world is appalled by the beheading of American journalist James Foley by jihadist militants of the Islamic State (IS) group.'
- IS Militants Behead US Journalist Taken Captive in 2012 - Reports RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2014 -- The Islamic State militant group may have beheaded US journalist James Foley, taken prisoner by armed men in Syria in 2012, in retaliation for airstrikes against its rebels approved by US President Barack Obama earlier this month.
- Obama Condemns US Journalist's Beheading VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- President Barack Obama on Wednesday condemned the Islamic State militant group that beheaded an American journalist as a spreading 'cancer' that must be eradicated.
- France Wants Arabs, Iran, UN Security Council to Tackle Islamic State VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- France said on Wednesday it wanted the permanent members of the U.N. Security Council and regional countries, including Arab states and Iran, to coordinate action against the militant group Islamic State, the insurgents who control parts of Iraq and Syria.
- Statement by the President The White House 20 Aug 2014
- Islamic State Militants 'Kill Reporter On Video' RFE/RL 19 Aug 2014 -- The Islamic State militant group has released a video purportedly showing the beheading of a American journalist.
- US Attempting to Verify Beheading of Journalist VOA 19 Aug 2014 -- The Obama administration says it is trying confirm the authenticity of a video that purports to show the killing of an American photojournalist by Islamic State militants.
- US Airstrikes May Push Islamic State Back into Fight Against Assad VOA 19 Aug 2014 -- Syria and the United States are both attacking Islamic State militants who have displaced thousands of civilians in Syria and northern Iraq. But, U.S. airstrikes in Iraq could push those forces back across the border and again into the fight against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- ISIL, enemy number-one of Islam: Saudi Mufti Iran Press TV 19 Aug 2014 -- Saudi Arabia’s Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul Aziz al-Sheikh has strongly condemned Takfiri ISIL terrorists for their crimes in the Middle East and violation of Islamic principles and teachings.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's Call to the MV Cape Ray DoD 18 Aug 2014
- Milestone in Eliminating Syria's Chemical Weapons Program US Dept. of State 18 Aug 2014 -- "Today, we mark a milestone in our unrelenting work to ensure the end of the Assad regime's deadly chemical arsenal: The United States has finished neutralizing the regime's deadliest chemical weapons aboard the Cape Ray."
- Statement by the President on the Completion by the M/V Cape Ray of the Destruction of Syria's Declared Chemical Weapons The White House 18 Aug 2014
- US Imposes Sanctions Against Key Members of Islamic State, Jabhat al-Nusra RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2014 -- US authorities have imposed sanctions on two key members of Islamic State (IS) and Jabhat al-Nusra military groups, the US Department of the Treasury said on its website.
- Terrorist Designation of Abu Mohammed al-Adnani US Dept. of State 18 Aug 2014 -- The Department of State has designated Abu Mohammed al-Adnani as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist under Executive Order (E.O.) 13224, which targets terrorists and those providing support to terrorists or acts of terrorism.
- Australia Offers to Resettle Thousands of Iraqi and Syrian Refugees VOA 18 Aug 2014 -- Australia's immigration minister, Scott Morrison, said the country will offer to resettle almost 4,500 refugees from Iraq and Syria. This will be part of Canberra's formal refugee intake of about 14,000 people each year. Morrison insists the places are available because of the government's success in stopping asylum-seeker boats.
- Adopting resolution, Security Council approves sanctions against militants in Iraq, Syria UN News Centre 15 Aug 2014 -- Expressing its "gravest concern" that parts of Iraq and Syria are now under the control of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and Al-Nusra Front, the United Nations Security Council today placed six individuals affiliated with the terrorist groups on its Al-Qaida sanctions list and threatened measures against those who finance, recruit or supply weapons to them.
- Syria troops restore peace to key town near Damascus Iran Press TV 15 Aug 2014 -- Syrian government says army soldiers are trying to fully secure a freshly-liberated town near the capital, Damascus.
- Syria troops recapture town near Damascus Iran Press TV 14 Aug 2014 -- Syria's government forces have managed to recapture the town of Mleiha, southeast of the capital, Damascus, from foreign-backed militants, reports say.
- Fresh Takfiri infighting leaves 40 militants dead in Syria Iran Press TV 13 Aug 2014 -- At least 40 foreign-backed militants have been killed and dozens more injured in the latest round of infighting between anti-government militant groups in Syria.
- Russia to Destroy S-300 Weapons Systems Meant for Export to Syria RIA Novosti 11 Aug 2014 -- Russia's anti-aircraft S-300 weapons systems, intended for export to Syria before sanctions were imposed, will be destroyed, the director for the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation said Monday.
- 75 Percent of Syria Chemical Materials Reported Destroyed AFPS 11 Aug 2014 -- Specialists on the U.S. container ship M/V Cape Ray continue their work in the Mediterranean Sea, neutralizing chemical materials from Syria and contributing to what the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, or OPCW, on August 7 confirmed as the destruction of 74.2 percent of Syria's chemical stockpile.
- Assad tasks Syria PM with forming new gov't Iran Press TV 10 Aug 2014 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has tasked Prime Minister Wael al-Halqi with forming a new government.
- Baghdadi Leader of barbarity & bloodshed IRNA 10 Aug 2014 -- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the head of the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL)—an Al-Qaeda offshoot—has emerged as one of the world's most bloodthirsty terrorists in recent months due to the groups crimes in Syria and Iraq.
- UN agency provides assistance for hundreds fleeing town near Lebanon's border with Syria UN News Centre 08 Aug 2014 -- As violence escalates in Lebanon, the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) and its partners are distributing humanitarian supplies in the north-eastern Bekaa Valley to both Lebanese and Syrian refugees who had fled the town of Arsal, close to the Syrian border.
- ISIL claims to have taken Syria military headquarters Iran Press TV 08 Aug 2014 -- A video has surfaced in social media showing purported ISIL militants claiming to have seized a military headquarters in north-central Syria.
- 100 Syrians killed in five days in N Lebanon: Report Iran Press TV 06 Aug 2014 -- Five days of clashes with the ISIL Takfiri terrorists have left at least 100 Syrian refugees dead or injured in the Lebanese border town of Arsal, opposition sources say.
- US Sanctions 3 Over Funding in Kuwait for Islamic Militants VOA 06 Aug 2014 -- The United States on Wednesday imposed sanctions on three men it said funneled money from Kuwait to Islamic militant groups in Iraq and Syria.
- Tens of thousands of besieged Syrians receive food aid for first time, UN reports UN News Centre 05 Aug 2014 -- More people in besieged and difficult-to-reach areas of Syria are getting food due to a Security Council resolution approved last month that allows delivery trucks to more easily cross borders and conflict lines, the United Nations emergency food agency today confirmed.
- Lebanon: UN condemns fighting in northeastern border town with Syria UN News Centre 04 Aug 2014 -- The top United Nations relief official in Lebanon today strongly condemned attacks on the Lebanese Armed Forces and the ongoing fighting in and around the city of Arsal, in the northeastern part of the country near its border with Syria.
- Lebanon's Militant Sunni Sheiks Support Uprising VOA 04 Aug 2014 -- Clashes are becoming more frequent between the Lebanese army and Syrian insurgents - including jihadists - along the Lebanon-Syria border.
- 1000s of ISIL terrorists flee from Syria Iran Press TV 03 Aug 2014 -- Thousands of al-Qaeda-linked militants are said to have infiltrated into Lebanon after suffering defeats in Syria's Qalamoun region, which is near the Lebanese border.
- Lebanon Battles Syrian Rebels in Border Town VOA 03 Aug 2014 -- Lebanese soldiers traded fire with Islamist gunmen and shelled areas around the border town of Arsal on Sunday in a push to dislodge the biggest incursion by militants into Lebanon since Syria's civil war began.
- Syrian army kills 50 Takfiri militants near Lebanese border Iran Press TV 02 Aug 2014 -- Initial reports say Syrian government troops backed by Hezbollah fighters have killed at least 50 Takfiri terrorists from the ISIL and al-Nusra Front near the Lebanese border.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list