Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2014 Saudi Arabia Special Weapons News
- Saudi King Abdullah hospitalized for medical tests Iran Press TV 31 Dec 2014 -- Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud has been hospitalized for 'medical tests,' a royal court says.
- Saudi Arabia largest purchaser of Canadian weapons: Report Iran Press TV 22 Dec 2014 -- Saudi Arabia has been the largest purchaser of arms from Canada, a report says.
- Saudi Arabia's king makes major cabinet reshuffle Iran Press TV 08 Dec 2014 -- Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz has carried out an extensive cabinet reshuffle.
- What the Bombings in Syria Say About the GCC RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2014 -- The US and its pro-NATO Mideast allies began bombing Islamic State positions in Syria last week. This highly publicized event was significant for what it revealed about the geopolitics of the entire Mideast. Essentially, the operation saw the US working hand-in-hand with the Saudi-led Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
- US to sell arms to Saudi Arabia, UAE Iran Press TV 02 Oct 2014 -- The United States plans to sell arms to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates amid the US-led airstrike campaign against ISIL in Iraq and Syria.
- Bandar Bin Sultan injected with poison: Report Iran Press TV 02 Jun 2014 -- A Lebanese media report says Saudi Arabia's spymaster Prince Bandar bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz has been injected with an incurable poison.
- Riyadh unveils Chinese ballistic missiles: Reports Iran Press TV 02 May 2014 -- Saudi Arabia has unveiled its new Chinese-made ballistic missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads, reports say.
- Saudi Arabia ends 'largest' maneuvers in its history VoR 30 Apr 2014 -- Saudi Arabia ended military exercises Tuesday along the borders of Iraq and Kuwait, as well as other regions, in what the media described as the largest in the kingdom's history.
- Iraqi Premier Accuses Saudi Arabia of Supporting Terrorism RIA Novosti 22 Apr 2014 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has slammed Saudi Arabia for supporting Middle Eastern terrorists, saying the policy has exacerbated the problems faced by Baghdad.
- Iraqi premier accuses Saudi Arabia of supporting terrorism VoR 22 Apr 2014 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has slammed Saudi Arabia for supporting Middle Eastern terrorists, saying the policy has exacerbated the problems faced by Baghdad. Speaking in an interview with al-Manar TV on Monday, the politician stressed that Saudi Arabia's cherished dream to topple the regimes in Syria, Iraq and Lebanon will never come true.
- Saudi Intelligence Chief Replaced 16 Apr 2014 -- Saudi Arabia's intelligence chief, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, has stepped down from his post. His resignation came at "his own request," according to Saudi state media. The 65 year old prince is being replaced by his deputy, General Youssef al Idrissi.
- Germany set to block tank sale to Saudi Arabia: Report Iran Press TV 13 Apr 2014 -- The German government is set to block selling tanks to Saudi Arabia, a report says citing government sources.
- German government to cancel Saudi tank deal - report VoR 13 Apr 2014 -- The German government will not approve a reported deal to sell up to 800 battle tanks to Saudi Arabia, a German Sunday newspaper said, citing government sources.
- FACT SHEET: United States-Saudi Arabia Bilateral Relationship The White House 28 Mar 2014
- Press Briefing by Senior Administration Officials on the President's Bilateral Meeting with His Majesty King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia The White House 28 Mar 2014
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Jay Carney and Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications Ben Rhodes en route Riyadh, Saudi Arabia The White House 28 Mar 2014
- Iran calls on Saudi Arabia to end backing Syrian armed forces ISNA 26 Feb 2014 -- Iranian permanent envoy to the UN Mohammad Khazaei called on Saudi Arabia to end support for armed groups in Syria.
- Saudi Arabia to provide weapons from Pakistan to Syrian opposition VoR 26 Feb 2014 -- Saudi source has announced on Sunday that Saudi Arabia is in the middle of negotiations with Pakistan regarding the purchase of anti-aircraft and anti-tank rockets in order to support Syrian rebels.
- Pakistan denies selling arms to Saudi Arabia for Syrian rebels IRNA 25 Feb 2014 -- Pakistan has rejected reports as baseless that Saudi Arabia has shown interest to buy Pakistani arms for Syrian rebels.
- Russia troubled by reports Saudi Arabia to buy MPADS for Syria opposition - Foreign Ministry VoR 25 Feb 2014 -- Russia is troubled by the reports that Saudi Arabia is willing to provide the Syrian opposition with man-portable air-defense systems (MPADS) and anti-tank systems, the Russian Foreign Ministry says.
- Germany to tighten arms exports to S Arabia IRNA 23 Feb 2014 -- German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier here Sunday announced plans to tighten arms export rules aimed at making German weapons sales more transparent.
- Saudi-Pakistan Military Ties Getting Stronger VOA 19 Feb 2014 -- Crown Prince Salman bin Abdulaziz, who is Saudi Arabia's deputy prime minister and defense minister has just concluded an official visit to Pakistan. Some defense experts say that Saudi Arabia's close military ties with Pakistan, though not new, now have a new dimension - namely countering the threat of a nuclear-capable Iran.
- Saudi Arabia spends for military more than UK, France Iran Press TV 05 Feb 2014 -- London's International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) reports that Saudi Arabia's expenditure on defense has surpassed that of the United Kingdom and France.
- Controversial Saudi counterterrorism law goes into effect Iran Press TV 02 Feb 2014 -- Saudi Arabia has put into effect a controversial counterterrorism law that allows Riyadh to prosecute as a terrorist anyone who demands reform, exposes corruption or protests against the kingdom's policies.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list