Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2011 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Russia to build two Tiger corvettes for Algerian navy RIA Novosti 30 Jun 2011 -- Russia's United Shipbuiding Corporation and state arms exporter Rosoboronexport have signed a deal with Algeria to build two new Tiger class corvettes, the corporation said on Thursday.
- Medvedev signs law to spread terror convicts around Russian jails RIA Novosti 30 Jun 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has signed a law allowing convicted terrorists to be held in any of more than 220 jails across the 17 million square kilometer country.
- Russia set to build nuclear-powered destroyer by 2016 RIA Novosti 30 Jun 2011 -- Russia will finish in 2016 the construction of a new class destroyer, which will most likely be nuclear powered, commander of the Russian Navy Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky said on Thursday.
- Russia to build nuclear aircraft carrier by 2023 RIA Novosti 30 Jun 2011 -- Russia will complete construction of its first nuclear powered aircraft carrier by 2023, the head of Russia's United Shipbuilding Corporation said on Thursday.
- Steregushchy class corvette in Saint Petersburg RIA Novosti 29 Jun 2011 -- Russia will exhibit for the first time its newest Steregushchy class (Project 20380) corvette, the Soobrazitelny, at a biennial naval show on June 29-July 3 in St. Petersburg.
- Belarus pays off electricity debt to Russia, supplies to resume RIA Novosti 29 Jun 2011 -- Minsk paid off its 600 million ruble ($21.16 million) debt to Russia's electricity export company Inter RAO on Wednesday and the company will resume electricity supplies to Belarus at midnight, a company spokesman said.
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il RIA Novosti 28 Jun 2011 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il is expected to pay a visit to Russia and meet President Dmitry Medvedev in Russia's Far East city of Vladivostok, South Korean Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday, although Russia's foreign minister denied knowledge of such a meeting.
- Russia launches Cosmos-series military satellite RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2011 -- Russia's Space Forces launched on Monday a Soyuz-U carrier rocket with a Cosmos class military satellite on board, spokesman Lt. Col. Alexey Zolotukhin said.
- Moscow military court sentences Russian mole to 25 years for treason RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2011 -- A Moscow military district court on Monday found former Russian intelligence officer Alexander Poteyev, who helped U.S. authorities disclose a Russian spy ring last summer, guilty of high treason and sentenced in absentia to 25 years in prison.
- Bulava launches to resume June 28 - source RIA Novosti 26 Jun 2011 -- A new test launch of Russia's troubled Bulava missile will be staged on June 28, a Russian Defense Ministry source said on Sunday.
- Transport ministry recommends grounding Tu-134 fleet after crash RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2011 -- Russia’s Transport Ministry and Tupolev have recommended grounding the nation’s fleet of Tupolev Tu-134 airliners.
- Moscow irked by U.S. role in territorial dispute with Japan RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2011 -- Moscow reacted angrily to Washington's possible involvement in the Russian-Japanese territorial dispute over to the Kuril Islands.
- MiG-29 flights suspended after fighter jet crash RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2011 -- The Russian Air Force has suspended the flights of MiG-29 fighter jets following a crash in Astrakhan region that killed two pilots.
- Russian MiG-29 fighter jet crashes, two killed RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2011 -- Two pilots were killed on Thursday when a Russian Air Force MiG-29 fighter jet crashed in the Astrakhan region.
- Progress M-11M space freighter to dock with ISS on Thursday RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2011 -- Russia's Progress M-11M cargo spacecraft will dock with International Space Station late on Thursday.
- Plane Crash Leads Russia to Retire Tupolevs VOA 23 Jun 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Thursday recommended the permanent grounding of all Soviet-built Tupolev passenger airplanes, like the one that crashed this week.
- Ryanair, Delta eye Russia's Superjet 100s, MS-21 airliners RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2011 -- U.S. airline Delta and the world's largest low-cost airline Ryanair are considering buying Superjet 100 airliners and MS-21 planes.
- Russia ratifies extension of military base deal in Armenia RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2011 -- The Russian Federation Council, the upper chamber of the parliament, ratified a protocol extending Russia's use of a military base in Armenia.
- Latvia says could seek NATO support over Mistral threat RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2011 -- Latvia will ask NATO for support if Russia deploys French-built Mistral warships in the Baltic Sea.
- Russian Helicopters, AugustaWestland sign 20 mln euro JV deal RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2011 -- Rotorcraft makers Russian Helicopters and AugustaWestland have signed a 20 million euro joint venture deal.
- Blue Panorama Airlines signs $370 mln intent letter for SuperJet 100s RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2011 -- SuperJet International signed a letter of intent with Italy's Blue Panorama Airlines to sell 12 Superjet 100s.
- India to get Nerpa Akula-II N-submarine this year IRNA 21 Jun 2011 -- India would receive its first new generation Nerpa Akula-II class nuclear attack submarine, which is undergoing sea trials in Russia, by the end of this year.
- Progress M-11M space freighter launched into orbit RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- A Russian cargo spacecraft undocked from a Soyuz-U carrier rocket and was launched into orbit.
- Russia prepares to launch Progress M-11M space freighter to ISS RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- A Russian cargo spacecraft will be sent to the International Space Station on Tuesday at 18:38 Moscow time.
- Sukhoi, Alenia to develop Superjet 100 business version RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- Russia's Sukhoi Civil Aircraft and Italy's Alenia Aeronautica will jointly develop a business jet based on the Sukhoi Superjet 100.
- Aeroflot signs $1.15 bln order for 8 Boeing 777s RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- Russia's flagship airline Aeroflot will buy eight Boeing 777 long-haul airliners under a firm contract signed at the Le Bourget Air Show.
- Sukhoi signs deal with Indonesia for dozen Superjet 100s RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- Russia's Sukhoi Civil Aircraft signed on Tuesday a contract with Indonesian PT Sky Aviation for the delivery of 12 Superjet 100 passenger aircraft, a deal worth $379.2 million.
- Ilyushin Finance, Antonov sign $300 mln deal for 10 An-158s RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- Russian aircraft leasing company Ilyushin Finance Co., part of United Aircraft Corporation, and Ukraine's Antonov aircraft maker signed a $300 million deal to supply 10 An-158 short-haul airliners to foreign customers.
- Russia's UTair to buy 40 Boeing 737 NGs RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2011 -- Russia's UTair airlines and Boeing will sign a contract on Wednesday for 40 Boeing 737 NG aircraft, worth an estimated $3.3 billion.
- Woman passes unnoticed through Domodedovo Airport security RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2011 -- Moscow transportation authorities are investigating an incident at Russia's busiest Domodedovo Airport.
- Russian warship joins NATO drills in North Atlantic RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2011 -- Russia's Admiral Chabanenko destroyer from the Northern Fleet will make a port call at the U.S. naval base of Norfolk.
- France transfers sensitive warship technology to Russia RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2011 -- France has transferred to Russia all the technology it asked for under a $1.7-billion deal for two French-built Mistral class amphibious assault ships.
- Russian Helicopters, Italy's AugustaWestland to sign 20 mln euro JV deal RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2011 -- Russian Helicopters and Italy's AugustaWestland plan to sign a 20 million euro joint venture deal to assemble AW139 helicopters in Russia.
- Russia's UAC to finalize long-haul airliner design in 2 years RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2011 -- Russia's United Aircraft Corporation will complete the design of a long-haul passenger airplane within the next two years.
- British observers to conduct Open Skies Treaty flights over Russia RIA Novosti 19 Jun 2011 -- A group of British observers on board of a Swedish SAAB-340 aircraft will make a series of inspection flights over the Russian territories under the Open Skies Treaty on June 20-24, a spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- U.S. congresswoman says Russian-French Mistral deal threatens U.S. security RIA Novosti 18 Jun 2011 -- A purchase of French-built Mistral class amphibious assault ships by Russia poses a threat to U.S. security and is aimed against Washington's allies, the chairwoman of the U.S. House of Representatives' Foreign Affairs Committee has said.
- Russia signs $1.7 bln deal for 2 French warships RIA Novosti 17 Jun 2011 -- Russia and France signed on Friday a $1.7 billion (1.2 bln euro) contract on two French-built Mistral class amphibious assault ships for the Russian Navy.
- First Aeroflot SuperJet flight takes officials to St. Petersburg Economic Forum RIA Novosti 16 Jun 2011 -- Russian government officials were flown to the St Petersburg Economic Forum on Thursday in Aeroflot's brand new Sukhoi SuperJet 100 aircraft plane, Aeroflot said on its website.
- In U.S.-Russia Dialogue On Human Rights, A Tougher Tone Comes Through RFE/RL 15 Jun 2011 -- The latest session of a high-ranking U.S.-Russia dialogue on human rights included frank exchanges on press freedom and corruption, according to a senior U.S. official who participated in the talks.
- Moscow, Paris signed Mistral protocol of intent, not final deal RIA Novosti 14 Jun 2011 -- The governments of Russia and France have signed a protocol of intent on the purchase of Mistral class helicopter carriers, but not a final contract, a source close to the talks said on Tuesday.
- McCain Backs Demand For Russian Troop Withdrawal From Transdniester RFE/RL 13 Jun 2011 -- U.S. Senator John McCain said during a visit to Chisinau that Washington supports calls for the withdrawal of Russian troops from Moldova's breakaway Transdniester region, RFE/RL's Moldovan Service reports.
- Russia expresses concern over U.S. warship Black Sea visit RIA Novosti 12 Jun 2011 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry voiced concerns on Sunday over the entry of a U.S. guided missile cruiser into the Black Sea for naval exercises with Ukraine.
- Russian-Indian JV to develop Brahmos-2 hypersonic missile RIA Novosti 12 Jun 2011 -- The Russian-Indian joint venture Brahmos Aerospace will start developing a new Brahmos-2 hypersonic missile this year, Brahmos Aerospace Director Alexander Maksichev said on Sunday.
- Russia's Soyuz spacecraft docks with International Space Station RIA Novosti 10 Jun 2011 -- Russia's Soyuz TMA-02M manned spacecraft docked with the International Space Station.
- Russia says European missiles talks 'not deadlocked' RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2011 -- Russia does not view the talks with NATO over the European missile defense shield as deadlocked.
- The Reset Hits a Pothole RFE/RL 09 Jun 2011 -- For a while now, well out of the limelight, Russia and NATO have been negotiating about how to cooperate on missile defense.
- Russian Submarine Works with U.S. Sub Rescue System for First Time NNS 09 Jun 2011 -- A historic international milestone was achieved when the Russian submarine, SSK Alrosa, mated with a U.S. submarine rescue system.
- Azerbaijani Officials Says Russia 'Should Pay More' For Radar RFE/RL 09 Jun 2011 -- A senior Azerbaijani official says his country wants Moscow to pay more for the use of a radar station that is part of Russia's warning system against attacks.
- Armenian Military 'Interested' In Acquiring Russian Rocket Artillery RFE/RL 09 Jun 2011 -- A senior Russian defense industry executive says Armenia wants to acquire Russian rocket artillery systems that have a firing range of up to 90 kilometers.
- Manufacturing IranSat one of Iran's greatest requests from Russia IRNA 09 Jun 2011 -- Head of Aerospace Organization of Iran: Manufacturing IranSat satellite is one of Iran’s greatest requests from Russia.
- Opening remarks by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen at the meeting of the NATO-Russia Council at the level of Defence Ministers NATO 08 Jun 2011
- Press conference by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen following the meeting of the NATO-Russia Council at the level of Defence Ministers NATO 08 Jun 2011
- Opening remarks by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen at the North Atlantic Council at the level of Defence Ministers NATO 08 Jun 2011
- Russia may develop nuclear offensive, arms race - Serdyukov RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2011 -- Russian Defense Minister Serdyukov: Russia would develop offensive nuclear force if NATO fails to come to agreement over the European defense shield.
- NATO and Russia building trust through defence cooperation NATO 08 Jun 2011 -- For the first time in three years, the 29 NATO-Russia Council (NRC) Defence Ministers met in Brussels today to discuss a broad range of defence issues.
- Russian defense minister to attend NATO-Russia Council meeting RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2011 -- Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov will attend a NATO-Russia Council meeting at the level of defense ministers in Brussels.
- Russia, Ukraine to build nuclear fuel production plant RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2011 -- Russia and Ukraine will establish a joint venture to manufacture nuclear fuel later this year, TVEL nuclear fuel Vice President Vasily Konstantinov said.
- Russia will counter any NATO missile defense - Russian envoy RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2011 -- Russia can develop missile systems capable of penetrating any missile defense deployed by NATO.
- Medvedev approves Russian-U.S. plutonium disposal deal RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2011 -- Russian President Dmintry Medvedev agreement with the US to dispose of excess weapon-grade plutonium.
- Russia, NATO planes chase 'renegade' aircraft in anti-terror drill RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2011 -- Russian and NATO fighter aircraft started the operational phase of the joint Vigilant Skies 2011 anti-terrorism drills.
- Rosvertol seeks Algeria Mi-28 export deal RIA Novosti 06 Jun 2011 -- Russia's Rosvertol attack helicopter producer is in talks with Algeria over exports of its Mi-28NE for delivery from 2012-2017.
- Russia's Urals arms depot blasts leave 95 people injured RIA Novosti 05 Jun 2011 -- The number of people injured in blasts that shook an ammunition depot in Russia's Urals republic of Udmurtia has risen to 95 people, the republican health ministry said on Sunday.
- Russia, Ukraine reach breakthrough in sea border talks - Lavrov RIA Novosti 05 Jun 2011 -- Russia and Ukraine have reached a breakthrough in their talks on maritime border delimitation, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday.
- Rescuers put out fire at Urals arms depot after three-day efforts RIA Novosti 04 Jun 2011 -- Rescuers have extinguished fire, which broke out at an arms depot in a Urals republic on Thursday night, causing blasts and injuring at least 78 people, a defense official said on Saturday.
- Fire, Explosions At Russian Military Base Force Evacuations RFE/RL 03 Jun 2011 -- A fire at a military base in the Russian republic of Udmurtia is causing a series of strong explosions, forcing authorities to evacuate thousands of people, RFE/RL's Russian and Tatar-Bashkir services report.
- 57 injured in Russian arms depot blasts RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2011 -- The number of people injured in explosions and a fire at an artillery arsenal in Russia's Volga region Republic of Udmurtia has climbed to 57 with 25 hospitalized, the Emergency Situations Ministry said on Friday.
- India regrets cancellation of naval drills with Russia - admiral RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2011 -- The Indian Navy is disappointed with Russia's last- minute cancellation of joint naval drills in the Pacific Ocean in April, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma said.
- Russia extends scrapping of chemical weapons until 2016 RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2011 -- Russia has extended the deadline for complete destruction of its chemical weapons arsenal until December 31, 2015, a senior Russian lawmaker said on Thursday.
- Russian police arrest military medical chief on suspicion of corruption RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2011 -- The Chief of the Main Military Medical Directorate of the Russian Defense Ministry General Alexander Belevitin was detained under suspicion of corruption, a Defense Ministry spokesman said on Thursday.
- Russian foul-mouthed sub captain 'not sacked' RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2011 -- Russian Navy authorities have denied reports that a submarine captain who swore at his superior was sacked.
- Russia against pressure on Balkan states to join NATO - Lavrov RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2011 -- Russia is against external pressure on Balkan countries to join NATO, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Thursday.
- Russia, U.S. to set up Mi-17 repairs center in Afghanistan RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2011 -- Russia and the United States will set up a maintenance center for Mil Mi-17 helicopters bought by Washington for the Afghan armed forces, Deputy Director of the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Vyacheslav Dzirkaln said on Thursday.
- Russia, NATO planes to hold first anti-terror drill RIA Novosti 01 Jun 2011 -- Russia and NATO fighter aircraft will take part in the first ever joint exercise during the upcoming Vigilant Skies 2011 anti-terrorism drill to run between June 6-10, Russian National Antiterrorism Committee spokesman Nikolai Sintsov said on Wednesday.
- Russia may buy An-70 transport planes by 2012-13 RIA Novosti 01 Jun 2011 -- Russia may start buying Ukrainian-built An-70 propfan military transport aircraft in 2012-2013, deputy commander of the Russian Air Force Maj. Gen. Viktor Bondarev said on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list