Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2011 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Russia Strengthens Strategic Forces KCNA 31 Mar 2011 -- Russia has put spurs to the strengthening of strategic forces.
- Police Bust Up Anti-Kremlin Rallies In Moscow, St. Petersburg RFE/RL 31 Mar 2011 -- Russian police detained dozens of anti-Kremlin protesters as they tried to demonstrate for the right to assemble.
- Russia to buy two presidential jets from European manufacturer RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2011 -- Russia will purchase two Airbus jets for its leadership in a deal worth $235 million.
- Mother Of Russian Soldier Found Dead Demands Probe RFE/RL 30 Mar 2011 -- The mother of a young conscript found hanged in a military unit is demanding a proper investigation into her son's death.
- New Russian Opposition Party Unveils Report On Corruption Under Putin RFE/RL 30 Mar 2011 -- Some of Russia's most prominent opposition figures have produced a report accusing PM Putin of corruption.
- Russia to move Navy HQ to St. Petersburg by 2012 RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2011 -- The transfer of Russia's Navy Main Headquarters from Moscow to St. Petersburg will be completed in early 2012.
- Russian terrorist leader Umarov not among Ingushetia militants RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2011 -- People who personally knew Doku Umarov's fighters examined the bodies of militants killed in a special operation but did not identify Umarov.
- Chechen militant leader Umarov 'may have been killed in attack' RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2011 -- Russian forces say Chechen militant leader Doku Umarov could have been among those killed during fighting in the volatile North Caucasus region.
- Russia Accuses Chechen Militants of Airport Bombing VOA 29 Mar 2011 -- Russia's Investigative Committee has announced it will prosecute at least two suspected terrorists for the bombing of the Domodedovo airport.
- Russia Charges Chechen Warlord With Airport Attack RFE/RL 29 Mar 2011 -- Russian investigators have charged Chechen warlord Doku Umarov with organizing a deadly suicide bombing.
- Russia brings Domodedovo blast charges against Doku Umarov RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2011 -- Russian investigators accused Chechen militant leaders Doku Umarov and Aslan Byutukayev of organizing blast at Moscow's Domodedovo airport.
- Russia to launch space freighter to ISS on April 27 RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2011 -- A Russian cargo spacecraft will be sent to the International Space Station on April 27.
- Sukhoi Superjet 100 to start Aeroflot flights in May RIA Novosti 29 Mar 2011 -- Russia's flagship airline Aeroflot said on Tuesday it will begin regular commercial flights of the Sukhoi Superjet 100 in mid-May.
- Russian Lawmaker on Necessity to Bolster Strategic Nuclear Armed Forces KCNA 28 Mar 2011 -- Victor Zabardin, chairman of the National Defense Committee of the Russian State Duma, underscored the need to bolster the strategic nuclear armed forces.
- Russian Army to get new multiple rocket launchers RIA Novosti 28 Mar 2011 -- Russia's Ground Forces will start taking delivery of new Tornado-G multiple rocket launching systems, replacing Grad systems.
- Missile cruiser Marshal Ustinov may reinforce Russian Pacific Fleet in 2013 -Navy RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2011 -- The Russian missile cruiser Marshal Ustinov may reinforce Russia's Pacific Fleet in 2013 after repairs, a high-placed official of the Russian Navy said on Sunday.
- Russian PM on Development of National Defence Industrial Complex KCNA 27 Mar 2011 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin at a meeting on Mar. 21 referred to the development of the national defence industrial complex.
- Russian Strategic Bombers Make Patrol Flight in Sky above Pacific KCNA 27 Mar 2011 -- Strategic bombers of the Russian air force made a patrol flight in the sky above the neutral waters of the Pacific.
- Russia, Israel agree on cooperation in outer space RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2011 -- The space agencies of Russia and Israel have signed an agreement on cooperation in the exploration and use of outer space, the press office of the Russian federal space agency Roscosmos said on Sunday.
- Russia, NATO plan to resume theatre missile defense drills in early 2012 RIA Novosti 25 Mar 2011 -- Russia and NATO are planning to resume joint theatre missile defense drills in early 2012, the new head of the NATO Information Office in Moscow said on Friday.
- Russia looks to use Ukrainian defense facilities, shipyards RIA Novosti 25 Mar 2011 -- The Russian and Ukrainian defense ministers on Friday discussed military and technical cooperation, including the use of Ukrainian shipyards by Russia's Black Sea Fleet.
- Russia, U.S. to review START implementation RIA Novosti 25 Mar 2011 -- Delegations from Russia and the United States will meet in Geneva from March 28 to April 8 for an inaugural session of the Bilateral Consultative Commission, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
- Russia's new Angara rockets to be test launched before 2014 - Space Forces RIA Novosti 24 Mar 2011 -- Test launches of Russia's new generation Angara booster rockets will begin no later than 2013, a spokesman for the Russian Space Forces said.
- Russia, U.S. in talks on uranium enrichment joint venture RIA Novosti 24 Mar 2011 -- Russia and the United States have started talks on setting up a joint venture to enrich uranium, the head of the Russian state nuclear corporation Rosatom said on Thursday.
- Naval strike aircraft to be part of Russian Air Force RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2011 -- Naval strike aircraft will be reassigned to the Russian Air Force by the end of 2011, a high-ranking Navy source told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
- Russia's Sukhoi Superjet 100 to make first passenger flight on April 12 RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2011 -- Russia's Sukhoi Superjet 100 passenger airliner will carry out its first passenger flight from Armenia's capital of Yerevan to Moscow on April 12, officials in Russia's Far Eastern Khabarovsk Territory said on Wednesday.
- Russia-NATO Council meeting to address Libya issue RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2011 -- The situation in Libya is among the issues to be discussed during the NATO-Russia Council ambassadorial meeting in late March, Russia's envoy to the military alliance said on Wednesday.
- Russian parliament urges ceasefire in Libya RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2011 -- The lower house of the Russian parliament on Wednesday called for a ceasefire and an end to violence against civilians in Libya.
- UN resolution on Libya too hasty - Russian ministry RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2011 -- The United Nations Security Council resolution on Libya was adopted too hastily, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said on Wednesday.
- Medvedev, Gates to discuss missile defense in Moscow RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates will discuss the issues of Russian-U.S. military and technical cooperation, including those related to missile defense, during their meeting in Moscow on Tuesday, the Kremlin has said.
- U.S. welcomes 'mutually reinforcing' missile defense cooperation with Russia RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2011 -- The United States sees Russia as a full-fledged participant in the European missile defense system, Ellen Tauscher, the U.S. Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security Affairs, has said.
- Russian investigators probe Roscosmos workers for Glonass loss RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2011 -- The Russian Investigative Committee said on Tuesday it is probing workers at Russia's Federal Space Agency, Roscosmos, for negligence that may have caused the loss of three Glonass-M satellites in December.
- Russia supports NATO success in Afghanistan - Serdyukov RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2011 -- Russia welcomes the success of NATO-led coalition forces and the stabilization of the situation in Afghanistan, Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Tuesday.
- Russia, U.S. begin data exchange under New START RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2011 -- The United States and Russia have begun exchanging information on their nuclear stockpiles under a new U.S.-Russian arms reduction treaty, a senior U.S. official said.
- U.S.-Russian talks on tactical nuclear arms cuts will take time - U.S. official RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2011 -- Reaching an agreement with Russia on cutting the tactical nuclear weapons stockpiles is likely to be a complicated process, Ellen Tauscher, the U.S. Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security Affairs, has said.
- Russia Calls for Immediate Cease-Fire in Libya VOA 22 Mar 2011 -- Russia's defense minister is criticizing U.S.-led air strikes in Libya, saying some of the strikes have killed innocent civilians.
- Gates: Common Challenges Deepen U.S.-Russian Ties AFPS 21 Mar 2011 -- Common security challenges, a deepening military-to-military relationship and the will to expand cooperation have drawn the United States and Russia together to face emerging issues of the 21st century, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said here today.
- Russia to invest $100 bln in defense industry until 2020 RIA Novosti 21 Mar 2011 -- Russia will invest 3 trillion rubles ($100 bln) in the development of the country's defense industry in the next decade, Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said on Monday.
- Russia to double production of ballistic missile systems - Putin RIA Novosti 21 Mar 2011 -- The production of ballistic missile systems in Russia will double starting in 2013, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Monday.
- Russia to revamp air defense with S-400, Pantsir-S systems RIA Novosti 21 Mar 2011 -- All air defense regiments in the Russian Armed Forces will be equipped with advanced S-400 Triumf and Pantsir-S missile systems by 2020, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Monday.
- Medvedev rebuts Putin over Libya RIA Novosti 21 Mar 2011 -- In a rare faceoff with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, President Dmitry Medvedev said on Monday he stood by Moscow's decision not to veto the UN Security Council resolution on Libya.
- Moscow urges western nations to stop indiscriminate use of force in Libya RIA Novosti 20 Mar 2011 -- Russia urges western nations to stop the indiscriminate use of force in Libya, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.
- Russian 5G subs to be equipped with ballistic, cruise missiles - source RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2011 -- Russia's proposed fifth-generation nuclear submarines will be armed with both ballistic and cruise missiles, a senior Navy source told RIA Novosti on Saturday.
- Russian Navy to receive 10 Graney class attack subs by 2020 RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2011 -- The Russian Navy is planning to commission up to 10 Graney class nuclear-powered attack submarines by 2020, a high-ranking Navy official said.
- Moscow regrets western mission over Libya RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2011 -- Moscow regrets the attack from a range of European countries on Libya which is being conducted 'with reference to the hastily adopted UN Security Council resolution,' official spokesman for the Russian Foreign Ministry Alexander Lukashevich said on Saturday.
- Gates, Russian Counterparts to Discuss Defense Reform AFPS 18 Mar 2011 -- During Robert M. Gates’ final trip to Russia as U.S. defense secretary, he’ll meet with Russian officials to discuss defense reforms.
- Russian military to buy 36 ICBMs, 2 missile subs in 2011 RIA Novosti 18 Mar 2011 -- Russia will buy 36 strategic ballistic missiles, two strategic missile submarines and 20 strategic cruise missiles this year.
- Experts Deny Russia's 'Safe' Nuclear Reactor Claims RFE/RL 18 Mar 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev announced his answer to deepening questions about the safety of nuclear power.
- Russia says New Start inspections to begin in April RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2011 -- On-site inspections of Russian and U.S. nuclear arsenals under the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty will begin in April.
- Russia set to continue tests of Bulava missile in June RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2011 -- The first test launch of Russia's sea-based Bulava ballistic missile this year will be carried out in June.
- Russia to develop new ballistic missile system by 2013 RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2011 -- Russian scientists will develop a new land-based intercontinental ballistic missile system by 2013.
- Russia set to start construction of 3rd Graney class nuclear sub RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2011 -- The construction of the third Graney class nuclear-powered attack submarine will begin in 2011.
- Russia may lose $6 bln on Algeria, Syria arms contracts RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2011 -- Russia risks losing over $6 billion on arms contracts with Algeria and Syria if the situation in these countries destabilizes.
- Warship deal with Russia losing support in France RIA Novosti 16 Mar 2011 -- The agreement to sell advanced warships to Russia is losing support in France because of Moscow's wish to get hold of sensitive military technology and concerns among Russia's neighbors.
- Russian MoD cagey on warship contract with France RIA Novosti 16 Mar 2011 -- Russian Defense Minister Serdyukov: A contract with France on the construction of modern warships for Russia will be signed when it is ready.
- Russia, France struggle over Mistral contract RIA Novosti 16 Mar 2011 -- A Russian-French contract on the construction of Mistral class helicopter carriers for the Russian Navy is unlikely to be signed in the near future.
- Russia to lease nuclear submarine to India before October RIA Novosti 16 Mar 2011 -- Russia will lease a nuclear powered submarine to India before October.
- Five Nuclear Disasters Waiting To Happen RFE/RL 16 Mar 2011 -- The troubles surrounding Japan's Fukushima nuclear power plant have set off a debate on the safety of nuclear power in general.
- Russia may loan Belarus $6 bln for power plant construction RIA Novosti 16 Mar 2011 -- PM Putin: Russia could lend Belarus about $6 billion for the construction of the first Belarusian nuclear power plant.
- Russia: Proposed Turkish nuclear plant 'quake-resistant' RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2011 -- Russia will ensure a nuclear power plant it is to build in Turkey will be able to withstand powerful earthquakes.
- Turkey, Russia Vow To Build New Nuclear Plant RFE/RL 16 Mar 2011 -- Russian and Turkish leaders have vowed to press on with plans for Russia to build Turkey's first nuclear power plant.
- New Russian Army weaponry 'inferior' to NATO's, overpriced RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2011 -- Advanced weapon systems manufactured for Russia's ground forces are below NATO and even Chinese standards.
- Russian nuclear corp. worried by Fukushima disaster RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2011 -- Russian state nuclear corporation Rosatom is worried by the situation at three units of the Japanese Fukushima 1 nuclear power plant.
- Russia agrees to build nuclear plant in Belarus RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2011 -- Russia is to help Belarus build its first nuclear power plant as part of a series of energy agreements signed in Minsk.
- Op-ed by Vice President Biden in the International Herald Tribune: The Next Steps in the U.S.-Russia Reset The White House 14 Mar 2011
- Russia, U.S. make first joint flight under Open Skies Treaty RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2011 -- Russia and the US have embarked on their first joint inspection flight over Sweden as part of the 2002 Open Skies Treaty.
- Russia sends rescuers, nuke specialists to quake-hit Japan RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2011 -- Russian specialists from Rosenergoatom and the Nuclear Safety Institute will fly to Japan.
- Return of ISS crew to Earth on schedule - Russia's space agency RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2011 -- Three members of the current crew on board the International Space Station will return to Earth as scheduled.
- Russia postpones launch of next mission to orbital station RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2011 -- Russian space agency Roscosmos postponed the launch of a Soyuz spacecraft due to technical problems.
- Russia's Ruling Party Dominates Regional Vote RFE/RL 14 Mar 2011 -- Preliminary official results suggest that Russia's ruling party, United Russia, has scored a widely predicted victory in regional elections.
- Russian Ruling Party Wins Regional Vote VOA 14 Mar 2011 -- Early results from Russia's regional elections show that the ruling party has won the vote.
- Belarus expects nuclear deal with Russia RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2011 -- Belarus hopes to sign an intergovernmental agreement with Russia on the construction of a nuclear power plant.
- Russia to prioritize modern weaponry in new arms acquisition program RIA Novosti 11 Mar 2011 -- Russia will focus on purchases of advanced weaponry in a new state arms procurement program until 2020, First Deputy Defense Minister Vladimir Popovkin said.
- Russia set to buy 500 combat vehicles from France RIA Novosti 11 Mar 2011 -- Russia is in talks with French military manufacturer Panhard on the purchase of 500 light armored vehicles for its border guards, a Russian military think-tank said on Friday.
- Russia concerned over U.S. missile plans in Poland - Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 10 Mar 2011 -- Russia is unhappy over U.S. plans to deploy permanent missile defenses and air force units in Poland, 100 kilometers from the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad, a spokesman for the Foreign Ministry said on Thursday.
- U.S. Vice President Meets Putin, Russian Opposition RFE/RL 10 Mar 2011 -- In a speech wrapping up his two-day visit to Moscow, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has reiterated Washington's support for Russia's accession to the World Trade Organization (WT) because it will lead to greater trade between the two countries.
- Reset in Russian-U.S. relations works for whole world - Biden RIA Novosti 10 Mar 2011 -- The reset in relations between Russia and the United States is working for the whole world, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said during his visit to Moscow on Thursday.
- Russia imposes sanctions on arms sales to Libya RIA Novosti 10 Mar 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has signed a decree to join UN Security sanctions against Libya, the Kremlin said on Thursday.
- Bomb goes off outside Moscow FSB academy RIA Novosti 09 Mar 2011 -- A suspected bomb went off at a bus stop near an academy of the Federal Security Service (FSB) in Moscow on Wednesday, the National Antiterrorist Committee said.
- Medvedev signs law ratifying Russia-U.S. pact on military transit to Afghanistan RIA Novosti 09 Mar 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev signed on Wednesday a law on ratifying an agreement with the United States on military transits to Afghanistan via Russia, the Kremlin said.
- U.S. Vice President Meets Russian Leaders RFE/RL 09 Mar 2011 -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden held talks today with Kremlin leaders and assured his hosts of Washington's support for Russian membership in the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- Russia hopes to make $9.5 bln in 2011 arms sales RIA Novosti 09 Mar 2011 -- Russia's state-run arms exporter, Rosoboronexport, said on Wednesday it expects to make up to $9.5 billion in arms sales this year.
- Russia to start operating new Glonass-K satellite by yearend RIA Novosti 05 Mar 2011 -- Russia will start operating its new Glonass-K navigation satellite, which is now undergoing in-orbit tests, by the end of the year, the head of the Russian Space Systems construction bureau has said.
- Russian police to use UAVs to enforce law and order in Far East RIA Novosti 04 Mar 2011 -- Police in Russia's Far East Amur region have taken delivery of two unmanned aerial vehicles and will use them for patrol duty.
- Public Figures Protest 'Pressure' On Courts By Khodorkovsky Supporters RFE/RL 04 Mar 2011 -- 55 prominent Russian public figures have protested what they describe as pressure by supporters of Khodorkovsky.
- Russian fighter jet designer Simonov dies at 81 RIA Novosti 04 Mar 2011 -- Mikhail Simonov, the former chief designer at the Sukhoi aircraft design bureau, died on Friday aged 81.
- Russia may only be part of joint European missile shield - NATO envoy RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2011 -- Russia would cooperate with NATO only on a joint European missile defense network project.
- Moscow dismisses report of deadlock in talks on Mistral purchase RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2011 -- Reports of an impasse in contractual talks between Russia and France on the purchase of Mistral class helicopter carriers for the Russian Navy are false.
- Russia ready to pay 1.5 bln euros for Mistral contract - Defense Ministry RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2011 -- Russia estimates a contract with France on the construction of four Mistral class helicopter carriers for the Russian Navy to be worth at least 1.5 billion euros.
- Russia tests 2nd prototype of fifth-generation fighter RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2011 -- A second prototype of the Russian fifth-generation T-50 fighter successfully conducted its maiden flight on Thursday.
- Authoritarian Russia Watches As Middle East Unravels RFE/RL 03 Mar 2011 -- The ruling United Russia party is confident in the country's stability.
- Russian plan to deploy missiles on disputed islands 'regrettable' RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2011 -- Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Edano: Japan is concerned over Russia's plans to deploy missiles on a group of disputed islands.
- Moscow imposes entry ban on Japanese CEOs for anti-Russian rhetoric RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2011 -- Moscow has imposed an entry ban on two Japanese companies' heads for anti-Russian rhetoric.
- Russia's Lavrov urges anti-terror coop with British intelligence RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2011 -- Russia’s FM hopes cooperation between Russian and British intelligence services will help improve damaged relations.
- Russian upper house ratifies rocket technology deal with Ukraine RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2011 -- Russia's upper house of parliament ratified a government agreement with Ukraine on the protection of rocket and space technology.
- Russia lacks enough carrier rockets to fulfill 2011 launch plans RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2011 -- Russia lacks carrier rockets to carry out all space launches scheduled for 2011.
- Russia to keep number of space launches to ISS unchanged RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2011 -- Russia's space agency Roscosmos has no plans to increase the number of piloted and cargo missions to the International Space Station.
- Vladimir Milov, The Russian Opposition's Fresh Face RFE/RL 02 Mar 2011 -- A new political movement promises to unite Russia's fractious opposition for a unified challenge to the Kremlin.
- Russia calls for consideration of all factors threatening strategic stability RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2011 -- Russia has called for the consideration of all factors that threaten strategic stability.
- Moscow calls for nuclear weapon free zone in Mideast RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2011 -- The world community should waste no time in going ahead with the creation of a nuclear weapon-free zone in the Middle East.
- German court jails Austrian for spying for Russia RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2011 -- A court in the southern German city of Munich sentenced an Austrian man to one year in jail for spying for Russia.
- Russia-Japan Strategic Dialogue Draws Attention KCNA 01 Mar 2011 -- The Russia-Japan strategic dialogue was reported to be held in Tokyo on March 2.
- Russia Rejects Japan's Remarks about Southern Kuriles KCNA 01 Mar 2011 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry flatly rejected Japan's remarks about the Southern Kuriles on Feb. 24.
- Russian border service to set up network of Arctic monitoring posts RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2011 -- The Russian Federal Border Agency plans to establish a monitoring network in the Arctic.
- General safety requirements needed for UAVs - Russian ministry RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2011 -- Russia should work out safety requirements for unmanned air vehicles.
- Russia rejects historic photo shoot at ISS RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2011 -- NASA announced that an historic fly-around photo session of the International Space Station will not go ahead.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list