Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2007 - Russia Special Weapons News
- U.S. missile defense in Europe could threaten Russia - viewpoint RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2007 -- Although elements of a missile defense system the U.S. plans to deploy in Europe would not present an immediate danger to Russia, they could threaten the country in the future, a Russian expert said Wednesday.
- Russian president sets tasks for FSB at collegiate meeting RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2007 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin outlined Wednesday a wide range of priority tasks for the Federal Security Service (FSB) aimed at protecting Russia's national interests and reducing the number of economic and race hate crimes in the country.
- Supreme Court reduces sentence in official secrets case RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2007 -- Russia's Supreme Court has reduced the prison sentence for a former Finance Ministry official convicted under the official secrets statute from eight to five years, the court press service said Wednesday.
- Russia heads for N. Korea nuke talks with "cautious optimism" RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2007 -- The Russian delegation is going to Beijing for a new round of six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear program with "cautious optimism," a deputy foreign minister said Tuesday.
- Origin of uranium seized in Georgia may never be identified RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2007 -- The country of the highly-enriched uranium allegedly seized from a Russian national in Georgia may never be identified, a Russian nuclear expert said Tuesday.
- Military housing program should be extended - defense minister RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2007 -- Russia's defense minister called Tuesday for a housing program for servicemen to be extended until 2010, and introduced in a greater number of regions.
- Georgia Authorities Confirm Arrest in Uranium Smuggling Incident VOA 29 Jan 2007 -- Georgian authorities have disclosed the arrest of a Russian man last year on charges of smuggling contraband uranium
- Russia Accuses Georgia Of 'Provocation' In Uranium Case RFE/RL 27 Jan 2007 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has accused Georgia of a "provocation" in the case of a Russian citizen who was arrested and imprisoned in Georgia after allegedly trying to sell 100 grams of highly enriched uranium.
- Russia Questions U.S. Military Buildup In Mideast RFE/RL 27 Jan 2007 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said today that Moscow expects Washington to explain the growing U.S. military presence in the Middle East.
- Russia awaits U.S. explanation on military buildup in Mideast-FM RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2007 -- Moscow expects the United States to explain its growing military presence in the Middle East, Russia's foreign minister said Saturday.
- Foiled Uranium Plot Renews Fears About Safety of CIS Nuclear Material VOA 26 Jan 2007 -- There are renewed concerns that potentially dangerous nuclear material in the former Soviet Union has not been properly accounted for after Georgia's revelation this week of a failed plot involving a Russian man trying to sell weapons-grade uranium to an undercover officer
- Russia criticizes U.S. missile shield plans in Europe RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2007 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry said Friday that U.S. plans to deploy elements of its missile defense shield in Poland and the Czech Republic were "a move in the wrong direction" that could threaten global security.
- Russia Calls US Plans for Missile Defense in Europe a 'Mistake' VOA 26 Jan 2007 -- Russia says a U.S. plan to set up a missile defense system in central Europe is a "mistake."
- Georgia: Uranium Case Underscores Nuke Safety Fears RFE/RL 26 Jan 2007 -- Moscow and Tbilisi have traded harsh words after Georgia revealed it had arrested a Russian man last year trying to sell weapons-grade uranium.
- Russian chemical weapons stockpile being destroyed on schedule RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2007 -- A chemical weapons disposal complex in European Russia has destroyed 30% of the chemical ordnance designated for disposal under a federal program, a consultant in the regional conventional problems department said Friday.
- Russia cannot identify origin of uranium seized in Georgia RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2007 -- Russian experts are unable to establish the origin of highly-enriched uranium that was allegedly seized from a Russian national in Georgia, as an inadequate sample was provided by Tbilisi, a specialist said Friday.
- Russia questions Georgian claims of uranium smuggling RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2007 -- Georgia's arrest and sentencing of a Russian citizen allegedly caught selling highly-enriched uranium was "a planned information provocation," a top Russian nuclear expert said Friday.
- India, Russia sign agreement to construct four more N-reactors IRNA 25 Jan 2007 -- India on Thursday signed an agreement with Russia for the construction four more nuclear reactors in Kundankulam project in Tamil Nadu.
- Russia, India sign agreements on Glonass navigation system RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2007 -- Russia and India signed two cooperation agreements Thursday on Russia's global space navigation system Glonass, which will be used by Moscow's long-time partner in the military-technical sector.
- Russia to build four more nuclear reactors in India RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2007 -- Russia has agreed to build four more nuclear reactors for India's Kudankulam nuclear power plant and other plants in addition to the two units already under construction, a bilateral agreement said Thursday.
- Russian gets eight years in Georgian prison for uranium sale RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2007 -- A Georgian court sentenced a Russian citizen to eight years in prison for attempting to sell 100 grams of high-enriched uranium in the ex-Soviet republic, an Interior Ministry official said Thursday.
- Kiev urges Moscow to obey court order on return of naval sites RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2007 -- Ukraine's government urged Moscow Thursday to obey a court ruling on the return of navigation facilities being used by the Russian Black Sea Fleet in the post-Soviet state's Crimean Peninsula.
- India buys cutting-edge Russian warplanes RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2007 -- On January 22, Russian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov arrived in Bangalore on his seventh visit to India.
- India to jointly develop and produce fighter aircraft with Russia IRNA 24 Jan 2007 -- Decks were today cleared for India to jointly develop and produce the fifth generation fighter aircraft with Russia, with New Delhi making the "final choice" on the matter and Moscow saying the work on signing contracts on the deal could begin soon.
- Russian Defense Chief: Iranian, N. Korean Missiles No Threat to Europe VOA 24 Jan 2007 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov has criticized U.S. plans to deploy a missile defense system in central Europe, saying Iran and North Korea do not and will not have missiles capable of striking European targets.
- Russia, India agree to develop fifth-generation fighter RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2007 -- Russia and India have agreed to jointly develop a fifth-generation fighter aircraft, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported Wednesday.
- Russia to help India test supersonic cruise missile RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2007 -- The Sukhoi Design Bureau will assist India in testing an air-to-ground version of the Brahmos cruise missile, a RIA Novosti correspondent said Wednesday.
- Russian defense minister indicates Moscow not to oppose sale of BrahMos IRNA 23 Jan 2007 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov indicated on Tuesday that Moscow would not oppose sale of BrahMos cruise missile, jointly developed by Russia and India, to some specific countries.
- Over 600 militants surrender in amnesty offer RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- Over 600 militants have surrendered since an amnesty was declared in Russia last year, a law enforcement official said Tuesday.
- Russia, India to develop new fighter jet -defense minister RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- Russia and India will jointly develop a project to build a fifth-generation fighter jet, the Russian defense minister said Tuesday.
- Russia, Ukraine set up JV to resume An-124 plane production RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- Russia and Ukraine have formed a joint venture to resume production of An-124-100 Ruslan heavy cargo planes, which was halted in the early 1990s, the head of the Volga-Dnepr aircraft manufacturing consortium said Tuesday.
- Glonass to cover all Russian territory by yearend RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- Russia's global navigation satellite system Glonass will cover all Russia's territory by the end of the year, Russia's defense minister said Tuesday.
- Russia opposed to militarization of space - DM Ivanov RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- Moscow will continue working to prevent the deployment of offensive weapons in space, the Russian defense minister said Tuesday.
- Ukraine attempts to seize Russian navy navigation system RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- Ukrainian court bailiffs have made yet another attempt to seize an installation that belongs to Russia's Black Sea Fleet in the Crimea, the fleet's press service said Tuesday.
- Russia favors international nuclear centers under IAEA control RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- Russia supports the establishment of international nuclear fuel enrichment centers under the control of international organizations, President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday.
- Project-677 submarine set for final sea trials - shipyard RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- St. Petersburg's Admiralty Shipyards said Tuesday it will soon begin a final round of sea trials of a fourth-generation diesel submarine.
- Russia denies new deliveries of Strelets air defense system to Syria RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- Russia has not yet signed a contract on deliveries of a short-range ground-to-air missile system to Syria, the head of the Russian arms exporter Rosoboronexport said Tuesday.
- Russia will not supply armaments to PNA - General Mazurkevich RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- Russia will not supply armaments to Palestine, a Russian Defense Ministry top official said Tuesday.
- Russia poised to win Indian jet fighter tender - defense minister RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- Russia has a good chance of winning a tender to supply jet fighters to the Indian Air Force by offering its MiG-35, Russia's defense minister said Tuesday.
- Tor-M1 anti-aircraft missile delivery to Iran completed - exporter RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2007 -- Russian arms export monopoly Rosoboronexport confirmed Tuesday it has completed delivery of Tor-M1 anti-aircraft missile systems to Iran under a contract.
- Russia to stop spacecraft launches from Far East in 2007 RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2007 -- Russia will stop launching spacecraft from the Svobodny space center in the country's Far East in 2007, the space forces commander said Monday.
- Test flights of Angara boosters to start in 2010 RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2007 -- A new-generation launch vehicle being built by Russians will undergo flight tests in 2010, the Space Forces commander said Monday.
- Russian General Calls Planned US Anti-Missile Radar a 'Threat' VOA 22 Jan 2007 -- A Russian general says placing elements of a U.S. anti-missile system in Poland and the Czech Republic would be a "clear threat" to Moscow.
- Russia to put new radar station on combat duty in 2007 - commander RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2007 -- Russian Space Forces plan to place a new radar system in the south of Russia on combat duty this year, the commander of the Space Forces said Monday.
- Russia set to offer MiG-35 fighters to India RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2007 -- Russian aircraft-maker MiG plans to showcase its newest MiG-35 fighter at an air show in India, and to join a tender on supplying fighters for the Indian Air Force, the company said Monday.
- India, Russia to sign major agreements on defense cooperation IRNA 23 Jan 2007 -- India and Russia are likely to sign a number of major agreements on defense cooperation during the forthcoming visit of President Vladimir Putin to India.
- Russia, India set to conduct counter-terrorism exercises in 2007 RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2007 -- Russia and India are planning to conduct joint land and naval counter-terrorism exercises in 2007, a Russian Defense Ministry official said Saturday.
- India, Russia to boost military cooperation IRNA 19 Jan 2007 -- The 6th Meeting of the Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) headed by the Defence Ministers of India and Russia will be held here on January 24, 2007.
- Russia's defense minister denies satellite destruction rumors RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2007 -- The Russian defense minister denied Friday allegations that China launched a ballistic missile January 11 that destroyed a satellite.
- High alert for terrorist attacks lifted in Russia RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2007 -- Russian security and police units stood down and resumed routine operations Friday after warnings from an unnamed foreign intelligence service of possible terrorist attacks on the country's public transportation system proved unsubstantiated.
- Russian Air Force to get two strategic bombers every three years RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2007 -- Two strategic bombers will be commissioned to the Russian Air Force every three years, the Air Force commander-in-chief said Thursday.
- Russia to replace, upgrade Air Force fleet by 2020 - C-in-C RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2007 -- Russia's entire Air Force fleet will be replaced or upgraded by 2020, the Air Force commander-in-chief said Thursday.
- Reports on plotted terror acts in Russia not substantiated-body RIA Novosti 17 Jan 2007 -- Reports on plotted terrorist acts in public transport in Russia have not been substantiated, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee said Wednesday.
- Russia Issues Terror Alert RFE/RL 17 Jan 2007 -- Russia says it has received information from foreign sources that suggests terrorists are planning to strike the Russian public-transportation system.
- FBI says no comment on Russia terrorist plot warning RIA Novosti 17 Jan 2007 -- The United States federal criminal investigative intelligence agency has declined to comment on whether it provided Russian authorities with information on a possible terrorist plot to attack public transport.
- Russia completes air defense system deliveries to Iran - Ivanov RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2007 -- Russia has completed deliveries of Tor-M1 anti-aircraft missile systems to Iran, the defense minister said Tuesday.
- Russian Navy denies reports of missile fuel leak from atomic sub RIA Novosti 11 Jan 2007 -- An indicator failure set off a missile fuel leak alarm on board a nuclear submarine in Far East waters, but no fuel spillage actually occurred, a Russian naval official said Thursday.
- Russian MPs urge new U.S. colleagues to ratify key treaties RIA Novosti 10 Jan 2007 -- Members of Russia's lower house of parliament passed an appeal Wednesday to their new colleagues in the U.S. Congress, urging them to intensify efforts to ratify key international treaties.
- Russia, EADS to roll out transport planes outside Moscow RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2007 -- Russia and a European aerospace and arms giant are set to build transport aircraft outside Moscow, Russia's defense minister said Tuesday.
- Russia set to participate in fighter tender for India RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2007 -- Russia is planning to join a tender on supplying fighters for the Indian Air Force, the defense minister said Tuesday.
- Russian companies broke no international norms - defense minister RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2007 -- The three Russian companies the U.S. imposed sanctions on did not violate international norms, Russia's defense minister said Saturday.
- Moscow outraged by U.S. sanctions against 3 Russian companies RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2007 -- U.S. sanctions against Russian enterprises are an attempt to extend American laws to foreign companies, the Foreign Ministry said Saturday.
- Russia for equality in Euro missile defense - AF CinC RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2007 -- Equal participation should be the basic principle of international cooperation in the missile defense sphere, the commander-in-chief of the Russian Air Force said Friday.
- U.S. sanctions against Russian companies unfair - MP RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2007 -- The U.S. sanctions against several Russian companies are unjustified and unfair, a senior Russian member of parliament said Friday.
- Russia's AF to get new surveillance radar RIA Novosti 04 Jan 2007 -- The Russian Air Force will soon receive a new-generation surveillance radar system capable of effectively detecting targets in the mountains, a senior commander said Thursday.
- Belarus, Russia Sign Last-Minute Gas Deal RFE/RL 01 Jan 2007 -- Belarus and Russia's state-controlled gas monopoly Gazprom signed a last-minute deal on gas deliveries just before a midnight deadline was set to expire.
- Russia, Belarus Reach Last-Minute Gas-Price Deal VOA 01 Jan 2007 -- Russia and Belarus signed a new price deal for Russian gas just two minutes before a midnight deadline New Year's Eve
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list