Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2015 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- South Korea to Spend $769Mln on Upgrading US-Made Missile Defense System Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- South Korea has signed a $769 million dollar deal to upgrade its Patriot air and missile defense system, Raytheon announced in a statement.
- Ospreys land on Korean Amphibious Assault Ship USMC News 30 Mar 2015 -- A U.S. Marine Corps MV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft made its first ever landing on the flight deck of a Republic of Korea Navy amphibious assault ship off the coast of the Korean peninsula, March 26, 2015.
- US, South Korea stage massive landing drill Press TV 30 Mar 2015 -- Thousands of US and South Korean soldiers have staged a massive joint amphibious landing drill, involving aircraft, naval vessels and armored vehicles, as part of an annual military exercise.
- S. Korea picks preferred bidder for 16-bln-USD fighter jet project People's Daily 30 Mar 2015 -- South Korea's arms procurement agency said Monday that it has picked the Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) Ltd, the country's sole aircraft maker, as the preferred bidder for the largest indigenous fighter jet development project worth about 16 billion U.S. dollars.
- Dempsey, South Korean Counterpart Discuss North Korea Threat AFPS 27 Mar 2015 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said he had 'important and very productive conversations' with South Korean military officials here today on topics including integrated air and missile defense to deter North Korean aggression.
- S.Korea, U.S. kick off joint maritime training exercises People's Daily 27 Mar 2015 -- South Korea and the United States on Friday kicked off a large-scale joint maritime training exercise as part of the joint annual war game code-named 'Foal Eagle,' the South Koran Navy said Friday.
- Top military officers of S. Korea, U.S. discuss no THAAD deployment People's Daily 27 Mar 2015 -- Top military officers of South Korea and the United States had no discussions Friday about whether to deploy on the Korean Peninsula the advanced U.S. missile defense system, called Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD), the South Korean Defense Ministry said.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman Censures U.S. Projected Deployment of THAAD in S. Korea KCNA 26 Mar 2015 -- The U.S. has undisguisedly revealed its ulterior design to deploy at any cost THAAD in south Korea, trumpeting about the missile 'threat' from the DPRK more noisily than ever before.
- Truth about Story of North's Hacking at 'Nuclear Power Plant' in S. Korea Laid Bare KCNA 26 Mar 2015 -- The Park Geun Hye group of south Korea let 'the government joint investigation team' release results of temporary interim investigation in which it claimed that the hacking at the nuclear power plant was conducted by the north.
- Pyongyang slams U.S. plan to deploy THAAD in S. Korea People's Daily 26 Mar 2015 -- The foreign ministry of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Thursday blasted the United States for its plan to deploy the Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) in South Korea, the official KCNA news agency reported.
- North Korea rejects South's hacking charge Press TV 26 Mar 2015 -- North Korea has rejected allegations of involvement in cyber-attacks against South Korea's nuclear power plant operators, charging that Seoul invented the story in a bid to blame Pyongyang for cross-border tensions.
- KPA Panmunjom Mission Discloses U.S. Criminal Abuse of Cheonan Warship Sinking for Hostile Policy toward DPRK KCNA 25 Mar 2015 -- The Panmunjom mission of the Korean People's Army released an indictment Tuesday exposing the U.S. criminal act of cooking up the Cheonan warship sinking case and abusing it for stepping up its hostile policy toward the DPRK.
- S.Korea conducts naval training exercise to mark Cheonan sinking incident People's Daily 25 Mar 2015 -- The South Korean military on Wednesday conducted naval training exercises to mark the fifth anniversary of the Cheonan sinking in March 2010.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's Phone Call with Republic of Korea Minister of National Defense Han Min-Koo DoD 24 Mar 2015
- North, South Korea Still at Odds Over Cheonan Sinking VOA 24 Mar 2015 -- North and South Korea have again exchanged words over the sinking of a South Korean ship in 2010.
- Dempsey: North Korea 'Somewhat Predictable' in Provocation AFPS 24 Mar 2015 -- North Korea is 'somewhat predictable' in its provocation during the annual military exercises held between the United States and South Korea, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said today.
- US Missile Defense Systems in S Korea Could Spark Asian Arms Race - Moscow Sputnik 24 Mar 2015 -- Moscow believes that the possible deployment of US missile defense systems in South Korea could spark an arms race and hamper negotiations on North Korea's nuclear ambitions, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement Tuesday.
- Russia warns US over deploying missile system in S Korea Press TV 24 Mar 2015 -- Moscow has warned Washington against plans to deploy a ballistic missile system in South Korea, saying it may further complicate the situation of the volatile Korean Peninsula.
- Inter-Korean Sunshine Policy Fading at Contentious Kaesong VOA 24 Mar 2015 -- A wage dispute underway at the Kaesong joint industrial zone in North Korea could end the last remnant of South Korea's Sunshine policy of engagement with the North.
- Pyongyang dismisses claims about sinking S Korean ship Press TV 24 Mar 2015 -- North Korea has once again denied any involvement in the fatal sinking of a South Korean ship in 2010.
- KPA Will Blow up Balloons Carrying Anti-DPRK Leaflets: Open Notice of KPA Frontline Units KCNA 22 Mar 2015 -- The frontline units of the Korean People's Army made public an open notice Saturday which said:
- Multiple Launch Rocket System Battalion Rotation Approved DoD 20 Mar 2015 -- The secretary of defense approved the nine-month rotation of a multiple launch rocket system (MLRS) battalion to the Republic of Korea.
- CPRK Spokesman Hits at S. Korean Unification Minister's Anti-DPRK Remarks KCNA 19 Mar 2015 -- Hong Yong Phyo, newly-appointed minister of Unification of south Korea, in his inaugural speech on Mar. 16 pulled up the DPRK, talking about 'nuclear development', 'military and verbal provocation' and 'preconditions for dialogue.' He even shielded the 'Committee for Preparations for Unification', a plot-breeding body for 'unification by absorption', stating that the ministry of Unification would closely cooperate with it.
- South Korea Reduces Water Supply to the North Sputnik 17 Mar 2015 -- With North Korea slowly coming out of a long drought, the South Korean government has decided to reduce the supply of free water it was giving to the North.
- U.S., Korean Navies Complete 31st Annual Salvage Exercise -- SALVEX Korea 2015 NNS 16 Mar 2015 -- U.S. Navy and Republic of Korea (ROK) navy diving and salvage experts wrapped up two weeks of advanced training during Salvage Exercise (SALVEX) Korea 2015, March 14.
- Interview: New milestone set for military cooperation with China: S. Korean vice defense chief People's Daily 12 Mar 2015 -- South Korea is expected to return to China later this week another 68 more remains of Chinese soldiers in the 1950-53 Korean War, a fresh move that South Korean Vice Defense Minister Baek Seung-joo sees will serve as 'new milestone for military cooperation between the two countries.
- S Korean Officials in Hot Water Over Plans to Forcefully Unify With North Sputnik 12 Mar 2015 -- South Korean officials have been in damage control over the past several days following revelations by a senior official earlier this week that a 'non-consensual' scenario on unification with North Korea was among the contingencies the Committee for Unification was looking at.
- US, South Korean air forces sharpen cyberspace defense AFNS 11 Mar 2015 -- Attacks, counter-attacks, bombs, rescues, evacuations and logistics are all elements of conflict. For the participants of Key Resolve 2015 (KR15), these actions and other important elements of combat come through a buzzing hard drive rather than from a physical foe.
- US, South Korean civil engineers work together during exercise AFNS 10 Mar 2015 -- In a nondescript room in the bottom of a random building, sits a group of men and women coordinating engineering requirements for military personnel.
- South Korea Says No to US Missile Defense System Sputnik 09 Mar 2015 -- South Korea does not intend to purchase a Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) battery, a US anti-ballistic missile system, to defend itself against the missile threat from Pyongyang despite growing support for the move in the ruling Saenuri Party.
- U.S. Navy Ships Strengthen Ties with Republic of Korea for Foal Eagle Exercises NNS 05 Mar 2015 -- U.S. Navy ships assigned to the U.S. 7th Fleet arrived in the Republic of Korea (ROK) March 4-5 in preparation for the upcoming Foal Eagle exercises with the ROK navy.
- N. Korea: Joint Drills Could Spark War VOA 03 Mar 2015 -- North Korea's foreign minister says the U.S.-South Korean military drills that began this week are 'unprecedentedly provocative' and could set off a war on the Korean peninsula.
- KPA Will Never Remain Passive Onlooker to Key Resolve and Foal Eagle: Spokesman for General Staff of KPA KCNA 02 Mar 2015 -- A spokesman for the General Staff of the Korean People's Army issued the following statement on Sunday:
- FM Spokesman Denounces U.S.-S. Korea Joint Military Exercises KCNA 02 Mar 2015 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK released the following statement Monday in connection with the fact that the U.S. started with the south Korean puppet forces Key Resolve and Foal Eagle joint military exercises, war exercises for invading the DPRK, despite its repeated warnings:
- N Korea denounces 'provocative' US-S Korea joint military exercises IRNA 02 Mar 2015 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Monday denounced the US-South Korean joint military exdercises code named Key Resolve and Foal Eagle saying they are intended 'for invading the DPRK, despite its repeated warnings'.
- Asia's Rising Naval Power: S Korea to Build New Attack Submarine by 2016 Sputnik 01 Mar 2015 -- Seoul announced South Korea's sixth 1,800-ton attack submarine will be delivered to the Navy in November 2016.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list