North Korea rejects South's hacking charge
Iran Press TV
Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:53PM
North Korea has rejected allegations of involvement in cyber-attacks against South Korea's nuclear power plant operators, charging that Seoul invented the story in a bid to blame Pyongyang for cross-border tensions.
North Korea's state Internet research institute said on Thursday that Pyongyang had never engaged in any sort of cyber-warfare against its southern neighbor, AFP reported.
"We never think about a bad act against the interests of our brethren under any circumstances," said the institution in a statement released by Pyongyang's official KCNA news agency, which further rejected South Korea's claims as "sheer fabrication."
The statement also referred to the charges that North Korea was behind the hacking of its nuclear reactor as South Korea's "sinister" plot to shift responsibility for deteriorating ties between the two Koreas.
In December 2014, unidentified hackers published designs, manuals and other information about South Korean reactors on Twitter, in addition to personal information of workers at their operating company.
The leaks triggered efforts by Seoul to heighten its cyber-security and initiate a probe involving experts, government authorities and state prosecutors.
Finally last week, South Korea slammed its northern rival for trying to hurl the country into "social chaos" hacking its reactors, describing the scheme as a threat to people's lives and safety.
Tensions between the two Koreas continue to run high after the South held joint war games with the United States earlier this month, with Pyongyang censuring the military drills as provocative rehearsals for invasion.
Meanwhile, Seoul has blamed North Korean hackers in recent years for launching a series of cyber-attacks on South Korean military institutions, banks, government agencies, TV broadcasters and media websites.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|