Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2012 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- KCNA Commentary on Hoguk Maneuvers in S. Korea KCNA 31 Oct 2012 -- The south Koreans started large-scale Hoguk exercise across south Korea on Oct. 25.
- Rodong Sinmun on Efforts of S. Korean Authorities to Preserve NLL KCNA 29 Oct 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun in terms the efforts of the south Korean authorities to preserve the "northern limit line" a brigandish move with no justification.
- Rodong Sinmun on Psychological Warfare of S. Korea KCNA 28 Oct 2012 -- The psychological warfare resorted to south Korea is a revelation of its ambition of "unification of social systems".
- Korean Rocket Launch Delayed Over Russian Engine Glitch RIA Novosti 26 Oct 2012 -- The launch of South Korea's KSLV-1 has been put off owing to a minor failure in its Russian-made Khrunichev RD-191 first-stage rocket motor.
- S. Korean AWACS KCNA 26 Oct 2012 -- Another U.S. made-airborne early warning and commanding plane was inducted into the south Korean air force on Oct. 24.
- US to Include S.Korea in its Global Missile Shield - Panetta RIA Novosti 25 Oct 2012 -- The United States will continue expanding its global missile shield in Asia, including in South Korea, to counter a possible missile threat from North Korea, US Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta said.
- ROK, US Marines conduct mountain warfare training USMC News 25 Oct 2012 -- Republic of Korea and U.S. Marines participated in a weeklong mountain warfare training exercise at the ROK Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center Oct. 15-19.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman on US Special Representative's Remarks KCNA 25 Oct 2012 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer as regards invectives made by U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Policy Glyn Davis.
- United States - Republic of Korea Security Consultative Meeting DoD 24 Oct 2012
- Joint Press Conference with Secretary Panetta and Defense Minister Kim in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 24 Oct 2012
- Defense Leaders: North Korea Remains Threat to Peace AFPS 24 Oct 2012 -- North Korea remains a threat to regional and global peace, U.S. and South Korean defense leaders said here today, adding that they still are unsure what North Korea’s new leader, Kim Jong Un, will do.
- Officials Say US Still Wary of North Korea VOA 24 Oct 2012 -- The United States and South Korea say North Korea remains a "serious threat" despite its failure to make good on recent threats to launch a military strike.
- Panetta: U.S., South Korea Strengthen Alliance AFPS 24 Oct 2012 -- U.S. and South Korean militaries will continue their close cooperation against wide-ranging global security challenges and strengthen their cooperation in space and cyberspace, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said.
- United States - Republic of Korea Military Committee Meeting DoD 23 Oct 2012
- U.S. Korea Commander Details Conditions on Peninsula AFPS 23 Oct 2012 -- Nowhere in the world is the disparity between freedom and oppression more apparent than on the Korean peninsula, the commander of U.S. and United Nations forces in Korea said.
- Aim behind Tour of Yonphyong Island Area by U.S.-S. Korea "Combined Forces Commander" Disclosed KCNA 23 Oct 2012 -- Commander of the U.S.-south Korea "Combined Forces" Sherman toured Yonphyong Island and area around it shortly ago allegedly to inspect the posture for defence.
- Defying Police, N. Korean Defectors Launch Balloons VOA 22 Oct 2012 -- A group of North Korean defectors have launched balloons carrying 120,000 propaganda leaflets toward their former homeland.
- There Exists Only Maritime Military Demarcation Line Set by DPRK KCNA 20 Oct 2012 -- A spokesman for the Policy Department of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK gave the following answer to the question put by KCNA.
- KCNA on Lee Myung Bak and NLL KCNA 20 Oct 2012 -- A spokesman for the Institute for Disarmament and Peace of the DPRK Foreign Ministry Saturday released the following statement.
- KCNA on Lee Myung Bak’s Visit to Yonphyong Island KCNA 20 Oct 2012 -- Lee Myung Bak on Oct. 18 appeared on Yonphyong Island and inspected the army unit there for the first time after he took office.
- Koreas Trade Threats Over Propaganda Balloons VOA 19 Oct 2012 -- The two Koreas are exchanging threats ahead of a planned launch of balloons in the South Monday to send leaflets to the North.
- N.Korea Threatens to Strike South over Leaflets RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2012 -- North Korea has threatened a military response if South Korean activists air-drop anti-North propaganda leaflets over its territory.
- KPA Western Front Command Notifies S. Korea of Possible Physical Strike at Location of Scattering Leaflets KCNA 19 Oct 2012 -- The Western Front Command of the Korean People's Army released the following notice.
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korea's "Missile Guidance Agreement" Declaration KCNA 19 Oct 2012 -- The "missile guidance agreement" announced by the south Korean authorities is an open declaration of an all-out war against the DPRK.
- Ulterior Aims of S. Korean Authorities Laid Bare KCNA 19 Oct 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun on Friday in a bylined article discloses the ulterior aims sought by the south Korean authorities in spreading the fiction about "provocation from the north".
- Hoguk Exercises to Be Kicked off in S. Korea KCNA 19 Oct 2012 -- The Joint Chiefs of Staff of the south Korean army announced that it would kick off Hoguk exercises throughout south Korea from Oct. 25.
- N. Korean Defections Raise Questions about Security, Loyalty VOA 18 Oct 2012 -- Three defections across the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone separating North and South Korea are raising questions about the global flashpoint.
- China, S. Korea Criticize Japanese Ministers' War Shrine Visit VOA 18 Oct 2012 -- China and South Korea are criticizing the latest visits to a controversial Tokyo war shrine by members of the Japanese cabinet.
- Rodong Sinmun on Remarks of Chairman of S. Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff KCNA 16 Oct 2012 -- Jong Sung Jo, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of south Korea said south Korea may mount a swift preemptive attack on the north when a sign of its nuclear use is captured.
- S. Korean Authorities' Introduction of AWACS KCNA 16 Oct 2012 -- Shortly ago, the south Korean authorities introduced one more AWACS, bringing to four the number of the plane deployed in the air force since September last year.
- Report: Asian Powers Beef up Military Spending VOA 16 Oct 2012 -- Security analysts say a new study on regional military spending indicates Asia's major powers, led by China, are getting serious about defense matters.
- S Korea Reaches New Missile Range Deal with U.S. RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2012 -- South Korea has reached a new missile deal with the United States, allowing Seoul to develop longer-range ballistic missiles capable of striking all of North Korea with stronger warheads, Yonhap news agency reported on Sunday.
- Japan Protests South Korean Media Tour to Disputed Isle VOA 05 Oct 2012 -- Japan has officially complained to South Korea about a trip to a disputed rocky island organized for selected foreign media organizations.
- Burmese President to Visit Seoul VOA 05 Oct 2012 -- Burmese President Thein Sein is headed to South Korea, the latest step in an effort to rehabilitate his country's image.
- KCNA Issues Detailed Report on 5th Anniversary of October 4 Declaration KCNA 04 Oct 2012 -- The Korean Central News Agency issued a detailed report "The 5-year-long history of the bedeviled north-south relations says", the 5th anniversary of the historic October 4 declaration.
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korean Defence Budget KCNA 03 Oct 2012 -- Shortly ago, the south Korean "Ministry of Defense" announced that it would submit to the "National Assembly" a "proposal on defense budget," 5.1 percent increase over this year.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list