Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2011 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- South Korea Rejects North's Request to Move Up Military Talks Date VOA 31 Jan 2011 -- South Korea says it has turned down a request from North Korea to move up the date of preliminary military talks.
- Japanese Imperialists' Colonial Rule over Korea Can Never Be Written Off KCNA 31 Jan 2011 -- February 1 marks the lapse of 105 years since the Japanese imperialists established a colonial rule over Korea.
- S. Korea Stages DPRK-targeted Military Drill KCNA 29 Jan 2011 -- The 103rd wing of the 8th combat flying group of the south Koreanair force on Jan. 27 staged a drill above the Thaebaek training ground.
- South Korea Mulls Separate Nuclear, Military Talks With North VOA 24 Jan 2011 -- South Korean officials say they are considering a 2-track approach to negotiations with North Korea, with talks on the North's nuclear program to take place separately from military talks agreed to last week.
- Seoul to propose date for talks with N.Korea next week - Yonhap RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2011 -- Seoul will next week propose a date for working-level talks with North Korea to prepare a high-level defense meeting.
- Koreas Move Toward Military Talks to Defuse Tensions VOA 21 Jan 2011 -- South Korea has accepted North Korea’s offer for military talks because Pyongyang appears willing to discuss provocative acts.
- Russia hails plans for inter-Korean military dialogue RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2011 -- Russia has welcomed plans for North and South Korea to start military talks in an effort to end months of confrontation.
- S. Korean Navy Frees Crew of Hijacked Chemical Tanker VOA 21 Jan 2011 -- South Korean naval special forces stormed a hijacked ship early Friday and rescued 21 sailors and killed a number of pirates in the Arabian Sea.
- South Korea accepts North's proposal on top military talks RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2011 -- South Korea has accepted the North's proposal to hold high-level military talks.
- South Korea Agrees to High-Level Military Talks with North VOA 20 Jan 2011 -- South Korean officials say they have tentatively accepted a North Korean proposal to hold high-level military talks.
- S. Korean Authorities Urged to Carry out Inter-Korean Declarations KCNA 18 Jan 2011 -- To carry out the inter-Korean declarations is the basic way for ending the confrontation between the north and the south.
- South Korean Official Foresees North's Collapse VOA 17 Jan 2011 -- Senior S. Korean official: N. Korea could bring about its own collapse if it keeps pouring scarce resources into its nuclear program and military.
- US Accused of Wire-pulling S. Korea-Japan Military Talks KCNA 17 Jan 2011 -- The U.S. was behind south Korea-Japan defence ministerial talks that took place in Seoul to conclude a bilateral military agreement.
- S. Korea: Jail Term Sentenced to Citizen Praising DPRK KCNA 17 Jan 2011 -- The Seoul Central District Court on Jan. 14 sentenced to jail an inhabitant on charges of violating the ill-famed "National Security Law".
- North Korea renews call for dialogue with South RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2011 -- North Korea reiterated its call for talks with South Korea, seeking an end to the confrontation on the peninsula.
- S. Korea Urged to come out for Dialogue and Negotiations at Early Date KCNA 16 Jan 2011 -- Dialogue and negotiations are the only way for improving the inter-Korean relations.
- KCNA on S. Korea-Japan Military Cooperation KCNA 16 Jan 2011 -- Defense ministers of South Korea and Japan at talks and discussed the issue of establishing a "close cooperation" system .
- Japan, S. Korea Urge Actions from North Korea VOA 15 Jan 2011 -- Top diplomats of Japan and South Korea: North Korea should take concrete steps to scrap its nuclear arsenal before 6-party talks can resume.
- Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates at Keio University DoD 14 Jan 2011
- Gates Consults With South Korea on North's Provocations AFPS 14 Jan 2011 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates visited South Korean leaders to demonstrate American solidarity against North Korean provocations.
- US Defense Secretary Says Talks with North Korea Possible VOA 14 Jan 2011 -- Top defense officials of the US and the ROK held brief talks about the DPRK as US Defense Secretary Gates wrapped up his Asia trip.
- KCNA on Japan's "Four-Party Security Talks" Policy KCNA 14 Jan 2011 -- Japan recently set out a policy for building "four-party security talks" framework involving Japan, U.S., Australia and S. Korea.
- S. Korea, Japan Improve Military Ties in Face of North Korean Threat VOA 13 Jan 2011 -- South Korea and Japan have held their first talks on creating unprecedented agreements to share military intelligence and equipment. It is something the United States has encouraged because of recent attacks blamed on North Korea and Pyongyang’s continuing nuclear threat. But both Seoul and Tokyo may find it necessary to move cautiously because of historical legacies and concern about how Beijing will react.
- South Korean Resident Put in Custody for Praising North KCNA 13 Jan 2011 -- The Seoul District Public Prosecutors' Office detained and indicted an inhabitant for praising the north, according to MBC of south Korea on Jan. 10.
- South Korea Reluctant to Resume Talks With North VOA 11 Jan 2011 -- Both Koreas are continuing to talk about talking. But there has been no agreement on discussions that North Korea has asked to start before the end of this month. South Korea still says the time is not right.
- S. Korea to Stage Field Tactical Military Exercises KCNA 10 Jan 2011 -- The 53rd infantry division of the south Korean puppet army announced that it would stage field tactical exercises aimed at invading the DPRK from Jan. 10, according to Yonhap News of south Korea.
- North Korea proposes talks with South, Seoul put forward conditions RIA Novosti 10 Jan 2011 -- North Korea proposed South in an official letter to hold talks between the countries, while Seoul put forward its own conditions for the talks the Yonhap news agency reported citing a government source as saying.
- North Korea renews call for resumption of talks with South RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2011 -- North Korea on Saturday called for an early resumption of dialogue between the two Koreas, proposing to hold talks within a month, the Yonhap news agency reported.
- North Korea Offers Dates for Talks With South VOA 07 Jan 2011 -- North Korea is renewing its call for unconditional talks with South Korea and is proposing they be held later this month or in early February.
- South Korea Repatriates North Korean Fishermen VOA 07 Jan 2011 -- A South Korean official says Seoul has repatriated three North Korean fishermen rescued from a boat drifting in South Korean waters.
- Seoul rejects North Korea talks offer RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2011 -- South Korea dismissed on Thursday an offer from the North of talks to ease rising tensions as "propaganda."
- North Korean Offer for Unconditional Talks Greeted Cautiously VOA 06 Jan 2011 -- A day after North Korea offered to engage in wide-ranging dialogue without any conditions, officials here were dismissive of the gesture.
- US, South Korea Discuss Response to North VOA 05 Jan 2011 -- Diplomatic efforts on resuming talks with North Korea appear to be gaining traction.
- North Korea proposes 'unconditional' talks with South RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2011 -- North Korea proposed South to start "unconditional and early" talks between the countries.
- DPRK Releases Joint Statement on Peace and Reunification KCNA 05 Jan 2011 -- The DPRK government, political parties and organizations at a joint meeting convened as regards the grave situation prevailing on the Korean Peninsula.
- Defusing Inter-Korean Confrontation Called for KCNA 05 Jan 2011 -- In order to open a new phase of the independent reunification of the country this year, the Korean nation should defuse the confrontation between the north and the south.
- KCNA on S. Korean Human Rights Policy KCNA 05 Jan 2011 -- The south Korean authorities let the Human Rights Committee& make public the three-phase policy roadmap.
- Earliest End to Moves to Escalate Confrontation with DPRK Urged KCNA 03 Jan 2011 -- If the Korean nation is to pave the way for reunification and prosperity at an early date, it is necessary to put an immediate end to the dangerous moves of the south Korean authorities.
- KCNA on Lee Myung Bak's DPRK Policy KCNA 03 Jan 2011 -- The Democratic Party of south Korea flailed the policy pursued by the government to escalate the confrontation with the DPRK.
- All Koreans Urged to Strive for National Reunification KCNA 03 Jan 2011 -- Rodong Sinmun in a bylined article calls upon all Koreans at home and abroad to usher in a new phase of independent reunification.
- US Envoy in Seoul for Talks on Korea Crisis VOA 04 Jan 2011 -- US envoy Stephen Bosworth is in South Korea for talks on how to resolve tensions with North Korea.
- South Korean Military Vows to Toughen Ranks VOA 04 Jan 2011 -- The South Korean military is making a New Year's pledge to get practical.
- KCNA on S. Korea Exercises KCNA 04 Jan 2011 -- Recently the Defense Ministry of south Korea issued a whitepaper on defence in which it stipulated that the government and army in the north are the enemy of the south.
- S. Korea's Anti-DPRK Human Rights Campaign KCNA 04 Jan 2011 -- The south Korean Human Rights Committee made the stop to human rights abuses in the north its top priority target till 2012.
- New Year Editorial Reiterates DPRK's Will for Denuclearization KCNA 04 Jan 2011 -- The DPRK is consistent in its stand and will to achieve peace in Northeast Asia and the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.
- DPRK to Improve Relations with Any Country that Respects Sovereignty KCNA 04 Jan 2011 -- The DPRK is willing to improve and normalize relations even with those countries that had been in hostile relations with it.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Opening New Phase of Independent Reunification KCNA 04 Jan 2011 -- "Let all Koreans in the north, south and abroad join efforts and bring a new phase of independent reunification!" This is a slogan set forth in the joint New Year editorial.
- South Korea Tells North Door to Dialogue Remains Open VOA 03 Jan 2011 -- Both Koreas are starting off 2011 expressing a desire for dialogue to ease tensions.
- Japan hopes for security alliance with South Korea RIA Novosti 03 Jan 2011 -- Japan wants to establish an alliance with South Korea to ensure security in East Asia against a backdrop of possible provocations from North Korea, the Japanese foreign minister, Seiji Maehara, said.
- UN chief and Republic of Korea president discuss situation in the region UN News Centre 02 Jan 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the President of the Republic of Korea (ROK) have discussed the recent situation on the Korean Peninsula in a telephone conversation, during which the United Nations chief reaffirmed his readiness to provide assistance to facilitate peace and stability in the region in close coordination with the concerned countries.
- North, South Korea Call for Peace VOA 01 Jan 2011 -- North Korea is calling for better relations with South Korea in the new year, while South Korea's president says he is confident peace can be established on the Korean peninsula.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list