Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2005 South Korea Special Weapons News
- S. Korean Authorities' Introduction of Ultra-Modern War Hardware under Fire CNA 27 Apr 2005 -- Some days ago, the south Korean authorities announced that south Korea would spend a huge amount of money to purchase dozens of F-15K fighters from the U.S. till 2008.
- SOUTH KOREA SEEKS TO DEVELOP ARMS TOGETHER WITH RUSSIA RIA Novosti 26 Apr 2005 -- South Korea hopes to sign a memorandum on understanding with Russia this year, which mark the start of joint arms development, above all missiles.
- S. Korean Army Fires Gun at North Side's Post KCNA 25 Apr 2005 -- The south Korean army fired a gun at the nnorth side's post in the Military Demarcation Line (MDL) on Saturday, according to military sources.
- HOT LINE TO LINK RUSSIAN AND SOUTH KOREAN DEFENSE MINISTRIES RIA Novosti 22 Apr 2005 -- The Russian and South Korean Defense Ministers have agreed to make efforts for arranging a hot line as soon as possible to exchange information on flights in the airspace of the two countries.
- Seoul Court Sentences Man Who Helped North Korea Kidnap South Korean VOA News 21 Apr 2005 -- A South Korean court has sentenced a man to prison for helping North Korean agents kidnap a South Korean Christian pastor in China.
- South Korea Admits Concern Over North's Nuclear Activities VOA News 20 Apr 2005 -- Senior officials in Seoul say it will be a matter of "serious concern" if Pyongyang does reprocess more spent nuclear fuel into weapons material.
- U.S. Threat to S. Korea under Fire KCNA 20 Apr 2005 -- The commander of the U.S. 8th Army in south Korea called an urgent press conference some days ago at which he complained that the agreed share of expenses for defence can not cover the expenses for the upkeep of the U.S. forces in south Korea.
- S. Korean Mil.Authorities Warned against Infiltrating Warships into Waters of North Side CNA 19 Apr 2005 -- The Navy Command of the Korean People's Army Monday issued a press release denouncing the south Korean military authorities for infiltrating warships into the waters of the north side in the West Sea of Korea in a bid to deliberately strain the situation.
- SOUTH KOREAN MINISTER TO DISCUSS ISSUES OF MILITARY AND TECHNICAL COOPERATION IN MOSCOW RIA Novosti 18 Apr 2005 -- A delegation of the South Korean ministry of national defense, headed by minister Yoon Kwang-woong, is coming to Russia on April 20 to hold talks with the Russian ministry of defense, the Russian ministry of defense reported on Monday.
- SOKOR/US MILITARY VOA 15 Apr 2005 -- South Korean Defense Authorities say they are rejecting a contingency plan that would give command authority to the United States military in the event of a North Korean collapse.
- KOREAS /UN RIGHTS VOA 15 Apr 2005 -- Human rights activists are sharply criticizing South Korea's decision to abstain from a United Nations vote on North Korean human rights. The U.N. vote sheds light on a key philosophical divide in South Korea about dealing with the North
- Stockpile of 600,000 Tons of War Supplies in S. Korea by U.S. Disclosed KCNA 12 Apr 2005 -- The stockpile of a huge amount of war supplies in south Korea by the United States for "an event of contingency" on the Korean Peninsula has been newly disclosed to the public, according to south Korean KBS on April 8.
- SOKOR/CHINA MILITARY VOA 07 Apr 2005 -- South Korea is planning to increase military cooperation with China. The government has not released details of the improved ties, but the move has drawn criticism for shifting alliances at an inappropriate time.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list