Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2015 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Egyptians in Libya - to flee or to stay? IRIN 27 Feb 2015 -- The roundabouts in the Libyan capital of Tripoli have long been a place for Egyptians to find work. Every day, carpenters, builders, plumbers and decorators sit and wait, each man carrying the tools of his trade to make it easier for prospective employers.
- Beheadings prompt 25,000 Egyptians to leave Libya Iran Press TV 27 Feb 2015 -- Tens of thousands of Egyptians have returned home from neighboring Libya after a video emerged of beheadings by ISIL Takfiri terrorists.
- Al-Thini Calls for Naval Observer Force Off Libyan Coast VOA 27 Feb 2015 -- The head of Libya's internationally recognized Cabinet based in Tobruk, Abdallah al-Thini, says his government is calling on the international community to deploy a naval force off the Libyan coast to halt arms smuggling to Islamic militants.
- Libyan MP Says Iran Should Bolster Role to Stem Chaos VOA 25 Feb 2015 -- Days after militants affiliated with the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for a bomb attack on the residence of the Iranian ambassador in Tripoli, a prominent Libyan lawmaker and former rights activist said Iran has taken an ineffective, hands-off approach regarding his country.
- UN Libya mission urges country's stakeholders to pursue next round of talks UN News Centre 25 Feb 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) announced today that it is undertaking a series of urgent consultations with stakeholders in the North African country to ensure the convening of the next round of talks soon and "not let this window of opportunity slip away."
- Islamic State Having Significant but Limited Impact in Libya VOA 23 Feb 2015 -- Despite Islamic State grabbing headlines over the past week with executions, bombings and even an attack on the residence of the Iranian ambassador, U.S. officials caution the group's foothold in Libya remains tenuous.
- Tobruk parliament boycotts UN talks on Libya Iran Press TV 23 Feb 2015 -- Libya's internationally recognized parliament has decided to boycott a series of talks sponsored by the United Nations to find a solution for the ongoing conflict in the country.
- Libya's Government Pulls Out of National Dialogue Talks VOA 23 Feb 2015 -- Libya's internationally recognized parliament based in Tobruk voted Monday to pull out of U.N.-sponsored national dialogue talks with a rival government based in Tripoli.
- IS Claims Attack on Iran Ambassador's Residence in Libya VOA 22 Feb 2015 -- Militants loyal to the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for bombing the empty residence of Iran's ambassador to Libya. No one was injured Sunday in the central Tripoli attack.
- Rocket attack hits airfield in east Libya Iran Press TV 21 Feb 2015 -- Unknown assailants have targeted an airfield in eastern Libya with rockets without leaving any casualties or damage.
- UN Security Council, Secretary-General Condemn Terrorist Attack in Libya Sputnik 21 Feb 2015 -- UN Security Council and the Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned another terrorist bombing in eastern Libya, in the city of al-Qubbah, calling for the defeat of Islamic State extremist group.
- Security Council condemns 'heinous' bomb attacks in Libya UN News Centre 21 Feb 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council has strongly condemned yesterday's deadly bomb attacks in al-Qubbah, Libya, claimed by an affiliate of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), also known by its Arabic acronym, Da'esh.
- Triple bomb blasts kill 45 in eastern Libya Iran Press TV 20 Feb 2015 -- At least 45 people have been killed and dozens others injured in triple bomb explosions that struck Libya's eastern port city of Derna.
- US rejects Libya's call to lift arms embargo Iran Press TV 20 Feb 2015 -- The United States has rejected Libya's call to lift a UN arms embargo on Tripoli, saying the North African country needs a national unity government first.
- Libya: UN mission condemns latest 'cowardly' terror attack, urges political unity UN News Centre 20 Feb 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has strongly deplored a string of suicide car bombings that struck the eastern city of Al-Qubbah in the latest terror attack to afflict the war-torn country.
- IS Militants Claim Deadly Car Bombings in Libya VOA 20 Feb 2015 -- Islamic State militants in Libya have claimed responsibility for Friday's deadly car bombings in the country's east.
- Britain Rejects Foreign Military Intervention in Libya VOA 19 Feb 2015 -- Britain on Thursday rejected sending international forces to Libya and lifting an arms embargo on the North African nation, a day after an emergency United Nations Security Council session on escalating violence in the country.
- Jordan Urges UN Security Council Action on Libya VOA 19 Feb 2015 -- Jordan circulated a draft United Nations Security Council resolution late Wednesday that would lift an arms embargo against the Libyan government, work toward halting the flow of weapons to militants, and push for Libya's internationally recognized government to return to the capital in Tripoli.
- With Libya in 'imminent danger,' UN envoy urges support for push to end political, security crisis UN News Centre 18 Feb 2015 -- Recent savage terrorist acts – culminating in the beheading of 21 Coptic Christians – highlight the "imminent danger" confronting Libya, its people and the wider region, the United Nations envoy to the country warned today, urging swift agreement among the main parties on resolving the crisis and ending the military and political conflict.
- Libya: Lift Arms Embargo, Let Us Fight Extremists VOA 18 Feb 2015 -- Libya's foreign minister asked the U.N. Security Council on Wednesday to lift an arms embargo against his government to help it fight armed groups and Islamic extremists who are battling for control of the country and its oilfields.
- Arab League Urges Global Community to Lift Ban on Arms Sales to Libya Sputnik 18 Feb 2015 -- The Arab League is convinced that a ban on arms sales to the Libyan armed forces should be lifted as soon as possible, envoys of the organization's member states said in a joint statement Wednesday.
- Italy Warns of Libyan Militias Merging With Islamic State Sputnik 18 Feb 2015 -- Italy fears that there is a risk that Islamist militants, fighting for control in Libya, could swell the ranks of the Islamic State (ISIL) jihadist group and strengthen its foothold in this North African country, Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said Wednesday.
- UN rights chief condemns murder of 21 Christians in Libya, urges rejection of 'takfiri groups' UN News Centre 17 Feb 2015 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights has said today that the beheading of 21 Christian men in Libya was a "vile crime targeting people on the basis of their religion" and urged Libyans to unite against extremists.
- Iran's UN Ambassador Says IS Fighters Are Committing Genocide VOA 17 Feb 2015 -- Iraq's U.N. ambassador alleged Tuesday that Islamic State militants were committing genocide, a day ahead of an emergency Security Council session.
- Egypt Bombs Islamic State Stronghold in Libya After Massacre VOA 16 Feb 2015 -- Egypt carried out a second round of airstrikes in eastern Libya Monday, in swift retaliation for the massacre of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians by Islamic State militants in Libya.
- Iran blasts slaughter of Egyptian Christians by IS ISNA 16 Feb 2015 -- Iran categorically condemned slaughter of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians in Libya.
- Libyan army warplanes bomb IS-controlled Derna People's Daily 16 Feb 2015 -- Libyan army warplanes on Monday bombed the eastern city of Derna, which is controlled by a Libyan affiliate of the Islamic State (IS) militant group, according to an army commander.
- Sixty-four ISIL militants killed in Egypt strikes in Libya Iran Press TV 16 Feb 2015 -- Egypt's airstrikes against ISIL Takfiri militants' positions in Libya have killed 64 members of the terrorist group, officials say.
- Egypt, Libya Plan Joint Airstrike on ISIL Militants Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Egypt will carry out new airstrikes on Islamic State (IS) positions in eastern Libya with the Libyan Air Force, an Egyptian military spokesman said Monday.
- Egypt Strikes Back: Up to 50 ISIL Militants Reported Killed in Libya Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- The Egyptian and Libyan Air Forces have killed between 40 and 50 Islamic State (ISIL) militants during airstrikes in Libya after the kidnapping and execution of 21 Egyptian Christian Copts, Egyptian state television reported Monday.
- Egyptian Air Force Bombs Islamic State Fighters in Libya Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- The Egyptian Air Force has carried out a series of bombings on Islamic State (ISIL) positions in Libya following execution of 21 Egyptian Copts, Egyptian state television said Monday.
- Security Council, Ban condemn ISIL murder of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians in Libya UN News Centre 16 Feb 2015 -- Strongly condemning the killing of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians in Libya by an affiliate of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations Security Council deplored the targeting of persons based on religious affiliation, while also urging Libyan parties to press ahead with their political dialogue.
- Egypt Bombs IS Targets in Libya After Beheadings VOA 16 Feb 2015 -- Egyptian warplanes carried out airstrikes early Monday against the Islamic State group in neighboring Libya, the military said, in retaliation for the militants beheading 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians who were kidnapped in Libya.
- Video Purports to Show IS Beheading Egyptian Hostages VOA 15 Feb 2015 -- A video has emerged that purports to show militants of the Islamic State terrorist group beheading 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians kidnapped in Libya.
- Libyan Army Liberates Two Oilfields From ISIL Affiliates Sputnik 15 Feb 2015 -- The government forces liberated two oilfields in central Libya, which had been seized by militants linked to Islamic State (IS), Turkey's Anadolu news agency reported Sunday.
- Gunmen take over government buildings in Libya Iran Press TV 14 Feb 2015 -- Gunmen have taken over several government buildings in the northern coastal city of Sirte in Libya, the state news agency says.
- Venue for UN-mediated political talks shifts to Libya, as national stakeholders seek peace UN News Centre 11 Feb 2015 -- Libyan stakeholders have convened in the western Libyan city of Ghedames for the latest round of United Nations-facilitated dialogue aimed at resolving the North African nation's political crisis, the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said today.
- New UN rights report depicts 'turmoil, lawlessness' in Libya UN News Centre 10 Feb 2015 -- A report produced jointly by the United Nations High Commission for Human Rights and the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) "paints a bleak picture" of the human rights situation in the country during 2014, the High Commissioner's spokesperson said today in Geneva.
- UN Report: Libya Beset by Unprecedented Turmoil, Lawlessness VOA 10 Feb 2015 -- A new report by the U.N. Human Rights Office and the U.N. Support Mission in Libya finds a nation beset by turmoil, lawlessness and armed conflict.
- Libyan Diplomat Says Anti-Government Militias Supported From Abroad Sputnik 05 Feb 2015 -- Various armed groups fighting the government forces in Libya are being supported by other countries, Mohamed Abdelaziz, the special Ambassador of the president of the Libyan parliament said, on Thursday.
- Libya: UN mission condemns attack on oilfield, calls for immediate ceasefire UN News Centre 04 Feb 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has strongly condemned the attack carried out by armed groups operating under the Alshuruq Operation in the 'oil crescent' area, causing many deaths and undermining the recent efforts of Libyan leaders to reach a peace pact.
- Armed militants attack Libya's al-Mabrook oil field Iran Press TV 04 Feb 2015 -- Unidentified gunmen in Libya have waged an attack on the Al-Mabrook oil field in the central part of the North African country, the state-run National Oil Corp (NOC) says.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list