IS Claims Attack on Iran Ambassador's Residence in Libya
by VOA News February 22, 2015
Militants loyal to the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for bombing the empty residence of Iran's ambassador to Libya. No one was injured Sunday in the central Tripoli attack.
Tehran condemned the blasts, according to Iranian state media. A Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said the bombs caused minor structural damage.
Three known Islamic State factions have a foothold in Libya, including one in the capital, as the politically divided country struggles with in-fighting between rebel militias, armed forces and two governments claiming power. Most Western governments have closed down their missions in Libya as violence has escalated.
In January, the Islamic State group said it was responsible for bombing the empty Algerian embassy in Tripoli, wounding a security guard and two passersby.
The militant organization based in Syria and Iraq raised its profile in the North African country last week, claiming responsibility for Friday's deadly car bombings in the country's east. At least 40 people were killed in the attacks on the town of Qubba, which is near Islamist strongholds but controlled by Libya's internationally recognized government.
Earlier in the week, Islamic State-affiliated fighters released a video showing the beheadings of Egyptian Christian laborers who had been abducted in recent months. The killings prompted airstrikes from Egyptian and Libyan forces on Islamic State targets in the eastern Libyan city of Darna, as well as an emergency session of the U.N. Security Council to discuss foreign military intervention in the country.
The United Nations has been unsuccessful in attempts to mediate a political truce between Libya's rival governments and militias.
Some material for this report came from AFP and Reuters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|