The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)

UN Security Council, Secretary-General Condemn Terrorist Attack in Libya

Sputnik News

09:00 21.02.2015(updated 09:18 21.02.2015)

Three car bombs set off targetting civilians on Friday in the city of al-Qubbah. More than 45 people were killed and scores were injured.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – UN Security Council and the Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned another terrorist bombing in eastern Libya, in the city of al-Qubbah, calling for the defeat of Islamic State extremist group.

"The members of the Security Council strongly condemned the bomb attack in al-Qubbah in Libya on 20 February, claimed by an affiliate of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (IS), resulting in dozens of deaths and injuries," the United Nations said in a statement on Friday.

Three car bombs set off targetting civilians on Friday in the city of al-Qubbah which is close to the occupied Derna, a port city in eastern Libya. More than 45 people were killed and scores were injured.

The UN stressed that IS must be defeated and that the intolerance, violence and hatred it espouses must be stamped out.

Earlier on Friday the United Nations Support Mission in Libya which is facilitating talks aim to forming a unity government said it "believes that the best response to counter terrorism and violence is for the Libyans to forge ahead with the search for a political solution to end the conflict and restore stability and unity to the country and the State institutions."

Libya has seen a number of terrorist attacks by the Islamic State and its affiliates recently.

A draft resolution submitted to the UN Security Council by Jordan on Wednesday proposed lifting the arms embargo on the Libyan government to assist the country in fight against terrorism.

Libya is currently facing the worst wave of violence since the beginning of the 2011 civil war. Internationally recognized authorities are fighting numerous militias. The embargo on arms supplies to Libya was imposed in 2011 over violence against civilian population during protests against the country's long-time leader Muammar Gaddafi.

Sputnik



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list