Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2009 Kazakhstan Special Weapons News
- Moscow denies knowledge of uranium deal between Iran, Kazakhstan RIA Novosti 31 Dec 2009 -- Moscow has no knowledge of an alleged uranium deal between Iran and Kazakhstan but will look into the allegations, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said Thursday.
- Interview: Nuclear Expert Believes Iran Likely Wants Kazakh Uranium For Civil Purposes RFE/RL 31 Dec 2009 -- is Iran's stockpile of uranium oxide diminishing or does it have another agenda?
- Link To Iran Spoils Kazatomprom Party RFE/RL 30 Dec 2009 -- Kazakhstan has taken on a new role as the world in uranium production -- and the achievement could not have happened at a worse time.
- Kazakh foreign ministry denies plans to deliver uranium to Iran RIA Novosti 30 Dec 2009 -- Kazakhstan has not planned any uranium supplies to Iran, an official spokesman for the ex-Soviet state's Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
- Iran denies AP report on secret uranium ore purchase IRNA 30 Dec 2009 -- Iran rejected reports by the Associated Press news agency that Tehran is planning to purchase uranium ore from Kazakhstan in secret.
- Former Kazakh Uranium Company Chief Hospitalized During Trial RFE/RL 23 Dec 2009 -- Mukhtar Dzhakishev, the former head of Kazakh uranium producer KazAtomProm, was taken from an Astana courtroom and hospitalized today, RFE/RL's Kazakh Service reports.
- Former Kazakh Uranium Company Chief's Trial Starts RFE/RL 22 Dec 2009 -- The trial of Mukhtar Dzhakishev, the former head of Kazakh uranium producer KazAtomProm, began in Astana today, RFE/RL's Kazakh Service reports.
- Kazakhstan turns into world's leading uranium producer RIA Novosti 15 Dec 2009 -- Kazakhstan's uranium production will hit 13,500 metric tons in 2009, or up 58% from last year.
- Kazakhstan checks info on plane with arms detained in Thailand RIA Novosti 13 Dec 2009 -- Kazakhstan is checking information on a cargo plane full of North Korean weapons detained in Thailand after an emergency landing at Bangkok airport, the Kazakh Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.
- Kazakhstan Approves New National Security Committee Chief RFE/RL 09 Dec 2009 -- The Kazakh Senate today approved Adil Shayakhmetov as the new head of the country's National Security Committee (KNB), RFE/RL's Kazakh Service reports.
- Kazakhstan moves to play down Baikonur spat with Russia RIA Novosti 25 Nov 2009 -- Kazakhstan moved to play down a spat with Russia over a delay in a rocket launch from the Russian-leased space center in the Central Asian republic earlier this week, saying it was a result of a misunderstanding.
- Kazakhstan to start testing domestic swine flu vaccine RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2009 -- Chief sanitary official Kenes Ospanov: Kazakhstan will start testing a domestically produced A/H1N1 vaccine soon.
- Jailed Former Kazakh Nuclear Chief Hospitalized RFE/RL 20 Oct 2009 -- The former head of Kazakhstan's state nuclear corporation, KazAtomProm was hospitalized on October 19.
- Effects Of 'Peaceful' Nuclear Tests Felt Decades Later RFE/RL 21 Sep 2009 -- During the Cold War, the US and Soviet Union each explored the possibility of using nuclear explosions for "peaceful" purposes.
- Intl. peacekeeping exercise to start in Kazakhstan on Sept. 14 RIA Novosti 10 Sep 2009 -- An international peacekeeping exercise called Steppe Eagle 2009 will be held on September 14-26 in Kazakhstan, the republic's Defense Ministry said on Thursday.
- 60 Years After First Soviet Nuclear Test, Legacy Of Misery Lives On In Kazakhstan RFE/RL 28 Aug 2009 -- "First Lightning," a 22-kiloton nuclear bomb, exploded at 7 a.m. local time on August 29, 1949, at the Semipalatinsk testing site in northern Kazakhstan
- Alleged Kazakh KNB Agents To Stand Trial In Austria RFE/RL 19 Aug 2009 -- Kazakh president's former son-in-law says agents from Kazakhstan's Committee for National Security will go on trial in Austria.
- British Paper Says Kazakh Ambassador 'KGB Spy' RFE/RL 18 Aug 2009 -- A British newspaper says it has evidence that the Kazakh ambassador to Britain has been a spy since 1988.
- Austria To Try Kazakh 'Spy' For Kidnap Attempt RFE/RL 22 Jul 2009 -- Austrian officials say they will put a suspected Kazakh spy on trial in September for attempted kidnapping.
- Arrested Kazakh Executives Shown In 'Secret' KNB Flats RFE/RL 02 Jul 2009 -- Kazakhstan's state television showed four arrested Kazatomprom executives living at secret Kazakh security service apartments.
- Kazakh Official Says Military Court Sanctioned Kazatomprom Arrest RFE/RL 22 Jun 2009 -- Chief of the Investigations Department of the Kazakh National Security Committee: Former head of Kazakhstan's uranium-producing company arrested with the approval of the Akmola Military Court.
- CSTO to hold large-scale joint military drills in Aug.-Sept. RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2009 -- CSTO will conduct joint military exercises in August-September in Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus.
- Another Top Kazakh Uranium Company Official Arrested RFE/RL 27 May 2009 -- Baurzhan Ibraev, the vice president of the Kazakh state uranium company Kazatomprom, has been arrested.
- Kazakh Atomic Kingpin Suddenly Radioactive RFE/RL 27 May 2009 -- Mukhtar Dzhakishev was once considered one of the richest and most powerful men in Kazakhstan.
- Astrium signs strategic partnership agreement with Kazakhstan EADS 19 May 2009 -- Within the framework of the agreement, Astrium will build a major satellite integration centre that will be part of the future Kazakhstan national space centre planned for the country’s new capital, Astana.
- India, Kazakhstan to sign civil nuclear agreement IRNA 10 May 2009 -- India and Kazakhstan are expected to sign a broad-based civil nuclear agreement by next month.
- SCO military exercises to be held in 2010 in Kazakhstan - Russia RIA Novosti 29 Apr 2009 -- Joint military exercises of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization member states will be held in 2010 in Kazakhstan.
- New uranium field opened in south Kazakhstan RIA Novosti 28 Apr 2009 -- Kazakhstan has begun mining uranium at a new field in the south of the country with a production capacity of 750 metric tons annually.
- Iranian Leader Backs Kazakh Proposal For Nuclear Fuel Bank RFE/RL 07 Apr 2009 -- Iran and Kazakhstan both possess huge oil reserves, so it was expected visit would focus on exports of Kazakh oil through Iran.
- Obama pledges visit to Kazakhstan RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2009 -- US President Obama set to visit Kazakhstan during a tour of the Central Asian region.
- Kazakhstan proposes hosting nuclear fuel bank RIA Novosti 06 Apr 2009 -- President: Kazakhstan has offered the UN nuclear watchdog its territory to set up a nuclear fuel bank.
- Central Asia Proclaims 'Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone' RFE/RL 01 Apr 2009 -- The UN ambassadors of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan said that their countries have ratified the treaty on a nuclear-weapon-free zone in Central Asia.
- CSTO rapid-reaction force to hold exercises in Kazakhstan in fall RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- Joint rapid-reaction forces of a post-Soviet regional security bloc will hold military exercises in September in Kazakhstan.
- Ex-Soviet states plan joint air defense drills Aug. 7- Sept. 18 RIA Novosti 04 Mar 2009 -- Commonwealth of Independent States members will conduct joint air defense exercises from August 7 until September 18.
- Kazakhstan, Russia sign contract on S-300 air defense systems RIA Novosti 04 Mar 2009 -- Kazakhstan has signed a contract with Russia on the purchase of S-300 air defense missile systems.
- Kazakh Officials Deny Involvement In Austrian Spy Scandal RFE/RL 19 Feb 2009 -- Kazakh officials denied involvement in espionage scandal in which Austrian policemen were arrested for spying for Kazakhstan.
- Two Austrian Policemen Detained For Spying For Kazakhstan RFE/RL 17 Feb 2009 -- Prosecutor's office in Vienna has confirmed that two Austrian policemen have been arrested for allegedly spying for Kazakhstan.
- Kazakhstan to get S-300 air defense systems from Russia soon RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2009 -- Russia will supply Kazakhstan with S-300 air defense systems in the near future.
- Russia Announces Military Initiatives in Eurasia VOA 04 Feb 2009 -- Three international military initiatives have been announced in the Kremlin over the past 2 days.
- Russian-Led CSTO Grouping Adds Military Dimension RFE/RL 04 Feb 2009 -- A summit of the Collective Security Treaty Organization has produced an agreement to set up a joint rapid-reaction force.
- Post-Soviet security bloc agrees to set up rapid response force RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2009 -- A post-Soviet regional security bloc has agreed to create a collective rapid reaction force.
- Central Asia's Great Water Game RFE/RL 04 Feb 2009 -- Apples are a valuable source of income for Khadija and her family in summer, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
- U.S. military denies plans to set up bases in Kazakhstan RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2009 -- The United States has no plans to deploy military bases in the former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan in Central Asia.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list