Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2013 Israel Special Weapons News
- Israel Successfully Tests 'David's Sling' Missile VOA 20 Nov 2013 -- Israel says it has completed a successful test of its interceptor missile, Magic Wand.
- U.S.-Israel David's Sling Weapon System Intercepts Target During Integrated Flight Test MDA 20 Nov 2013 -- The Israel Missile Defense Organization and the U.S. Missile Defense Agency completed a successful intercept test today of the David's Sling Weapon System.
- Israel to hold military exercise Iran Press TV 06 Nov 2013 -- Israel is set to hold a military exercise to train soldiers on how to invade the Gaza Strip, a report says.
- Israeli drone crashes into Mediterranean Iran Press TV 09 Oct 2013 -- An Israeli unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) has crashed into the Mediterranean Sea, Israeli media report.
- US Government Shutdown Will Delay Military Funding for Israel VOA 02 Oct 2013 -- The partial shutdown of the U.S. federal government means there is no money for foreign military assistance, delaying support for long-time allies like Israel.
- Concern Grows Over Middle East's WMD Arsenal VOA 01 Oct 2013 -- Efforts to secure Syria's chemical weapons and regulate Iran's nuclear program have again raised the idea of a Middle East free of weapons of mass destruction.
- Netanyahu Slams Iran at UN; Iran Lashes Back VOA 01 Oct 2013 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says his country will never allow Iran to obtain nuclear weapons.
- Iran's Foreign Minister Accuses Israeli PM Of Lying RFE/RL 01 Oct 2013 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has accused Israel’s prime minister of lying.
- Netanyahu Slams Iran's Nuclear Ambitions in UN Speech VOA 01 Oct 2013 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Iran is continuing a "vast and feverish" effort to acquire nuclear arms.
- Netanyahu: Israel Won't Allow Iran To Get Nuclear Bomb RFE/RL 01 Oct 2013 -- Israel will not allow Iran to get nuclear weapons. If Israel is forced to stand alone Israel will stand alone," Netanyahu said in his address to the UN General Assembly on October 1.
- PM Netanyahu addresses UN General Assembly Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs 01 Oct 2013
- At UN, Israel insists tough sanctions must remain to deter Iranian nuclear threat UN News Centre 01 Oct 2013 -- Israeli PM Netanyahu warned that the only way diplomacy will stop Iran acquiring nuclear weapons is to keep up international pressure.
- Remarks by President Obama and Prime Minister Netanyahu of Israel After Bilateral Meeting The White House 30 Sep 2013
- Obama, Netanyahu Stress Need for Iran to Verify Nuke Program VOA 30 Sep 2013 -- President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have discussed negotiations with Iran to resolve concerns about its nuclear program.
- ‘Occupier’ Israel behind injustice, instability in region: Iran's Rouhani PressTV 19 Sep 2013 -- Iran President Hassan Rouhani has criticized the Israeli regime for doing “injustice to people of the Middle East” and sowing instability in the region.
- US report: Israel has at least 80 nuclear warheads PressTV 16 Sep 2013 -- A newly released report in a US professional journal confirms that the Israeli regime possesses at least 80 operative nuclear warheads.
- Secretary Kerry Remarks With Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 15 Sep 2013
- Obama: Syria Deal Could Influence Iran Nuclear Talks VOA 15 Sep 2013 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says he and new Iranian President Hassan Rouhani have exchanged letters about the situation in Syria.
- Netanyahu ‘supports’ Russia-US deal on Syria chemical weapons PressTV 15 Sep 2013 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has voiced support for an agreement reached by Washington and Moscow to place Syria’s chemical weapons under international supervision.
- Republicans slam Syria Deal PressTV 15 Sep 2013 -- Key US Republican lawmakers say they are skeptical about whether a joint US-Russia deal to destroy Syria's chemical weapons could work in the absence of a credible threat of force against the Syrian government.
- Israel Fires Missile in Joint Exercise With US VOA 03 Sep 2013 -- Israel says it has carried out a missile test in the Mediterranean Sea with the help of the United States.
- Israel Says It Carried Out Joint Missile Test With U.S. In Mediterranean RFE/RL 03 Sep 2013 -- Israel says it carried out a joint missile test with the United States in the Mediterranean on September 3.
- Mediterranean 'Ballistic Targets' Were Part of Israeli Test – Defense Ministry RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2013 -- Two “ballistic targets” detected in the Mediterranean by the Russian military were launched by the Israeli military.
- Israel confirms testing missile jointly with US PressTV 03 Sep 2013 -- Israel says it has successfully conducted a joint missile test with the United States in the Mediterranean Sea, amid high tensions in the region over a possible attack on Syria.
- Russia Orbits Israeli Communications Satellite RIA Novosti 01 Sep 2013 -- Russia has orbited an Israeli communications satellite.
- Readout of Secretary Hagel's Call with Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon DoD 21 Aug 2013
- Israeli regime equips warships with Barak 8 missiles PressTV 29 Jul 2013 -- The Israeli military has begun equipping its main warships with Barak 8 - a medium-range surface-to-air missile.
- Budget crisis prompts Israeli military to cut $1.9 bn in costs PressTV 11 Jul 2013 -- A massive budget deficit in Israel has forced its military to slash USD 1.9 billion in spending through a series of cuts and a reorganization of its forces.
- Israel conducts drill to train soldiers for fighting Hezbollah PressTV 11 Jul 2013 -- Israel is holding military exercises to train soldiers on how to invade the south of Lebanon and fight the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah.
- US, Israel co-wrote Stuxnet against Iran: Snowden PressTV 10 Jul 2013 -- Fugitive US surveillance whistleblower Edward Snowden says the United States and Israel created the Stuxnet computer virus.
- Israel jails Mossad agent Prisoner X2 PressTV 10 Jul 2013 -- Israel has imprisoned a Mossad agent in the same prison where the intelligence agent Ben Zygier known as Prisoner X was jailed and later found hanged.
- Israeli F-16 warplane crashes into sea PressTV 08 Jul 2013 -- An Israeli F-16 warplane has crashed into the Mediterranean Sea following an engine malfunction.
- Netanyahu admits to secret Israeli aerial missions in past year PressTV 28 Jun 2013 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has acknowledged that the Tel Aviv regime’s warplanes have carried out a number of secret operations over the past year.
- Israeli warplanes, drones violate Lebanon’s airspace: Lebanese army PressTV 28 Jun 2013 -- Israeli warplanes and drones have violated Lebanon’s airspace and flown over several areas of the country.
- Military maneuvers in Golan Heights not theoretical: Netanyahu PressTV 28 Jun 2013 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says military maneuvers in the occupied Golan Heights may be put into practice in the near future unlike the past ‘theoretical’ drills.
- Israel becomes world's 6th largest arms exporter: Report PressTV 26 Jun 2013 -- A newly released military intelligence report says Israel has become the sixth largest arms exporter in the world.
- Israeli reconnaissance plane breaches Lebanese airspace PressTV 19 Jun 2013 -- Lebanese army has said that an Israeli reconnaissance drone has breached the country’s airspace in Riyak, Baalbek and Hermel regions.
- Mossad chief holds secret meeting with Turkish intelligence head in Ankara Iran Press TV 13 Jun 2013 -- The director of Israel's Mossad intelligence agency has met secretly with the Turkish intelligence agency's undersecretary and discussed the latest regional developments.
- Israeli Prime Minister Accuses Tehran Of Cyberattacks RFE/RL 10 Jun 2013 -- Israel's PM Netanyahu says there has been a "significant rise" in cyberattacks against Israel by Iran.
- Israeli Navy Seals Deal to End Exemptions for Ultra-Orthodox VOA 29 May 2013 -- Israel clinched a deal to abolish wholesale exemptions from military service for Jewish seminary students.
- CIA chief John Brennan visits Israel to discuss Syria PressTV 17 May 2013 -- The director of the US spy agency CIA has visited the occupied Palestinian territories to discuss the situation in Syria with Israeli officials.
- Ultra-Orthodox Jews Protest in Jerusalem, Vowing to Defy Draft VOA 16 May 2013 -- Thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jews protested in Jerusalem against plans to enlist men from their community into the military.
- Two Tunisians arrested over alleged links to Israel’s Mossad: Report PressTV 15 May 2013 -- Media in Tunisia say two Tunisians have been arrested on suspicion of leaking sensitive information to the Israeli regime’s Mossad spy agency.
- Taking Sides in Syria is Hard Choice for Israel VOA 03 May 2013 -- The dilemma Israel faces in trying to formulate a strategy on Syria two years into its civil war is symbolized by a case being heard in a small courtroom near Tel Aviv.
- Israel's 5th Dolphin submarine launched in north Germany PressTV 30 Apr 2013 -- Israel has launched its fifth Dolphin-class submarine, which was constructed to undertake long-range classified missions and carry missiles armed with nuclear warheads.
- Hagel, Yaalon Finalize New Israel Military Capabilities AFPS 22 Apr 2013 -- In what Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel called "a significant step in U.S.-Israeli defense cooperation," he and his Israeli counterpart finalized an agreement today on a package of new defense capabilities the United States is offering Israel.
- Israel, US finalize $10 billion arms deal Iran Press TV 22 Apr 2013 -- US Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and Israeli Minister of Military Affairs Moshe Yaalon have finalized a new arms deal worth USD 10 billion.
- Hagel Finalizes Arms Deal On Israel Visit RFE/RL 22 Apr 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel says a planned multibillion-dollar arms deal will help Israel maintain its qualitative military superiority in the region.
- US Defense Secretary Pledges Military Support to Israel VOA 22 Apr 2013 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has assured Israel that the U.S. government is committed to preserving Israel's military strength in the Middle East. The remark follows a meeting with the Israeli defense minister Monday on the second day of a week-long trip to the region.
- Hagel: US-Israel Weapons Deal a 'Clear Signal' to Iran VOA 21 Apr 2013 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says a major U.S. arms deal with Israel sends a 'very clear signal' to Iran that military action could be used to stop Tehran from obtaining nuclear weapons.
- Israel seeks Turkish airbase for attack on Iran: Report Iran Press TV 21 Apr 2013 -- A recent report says the visit by Israeli National Security Council Head Yaakov Amidror to Turkey is aimed at securing an airbase in Iran's neighbor to pave the way for a military attack against the Islamic Republic.
- Hagel’s First Middle East Trip to Seal Historic Arms Deal AFPS 19 Apr 2013 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel’s first official trip to the Middle East will underscore U.S. security relationships there and finalize agreements on an unprecedented release of military capabilities.
- New US arms sales to Israel, Saudi Arabia and UAE PressTV 19 Apr 2013 -- US military chief Chuck Hagel is to finalize weapons deals worth USD10 billion to Israel, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
- Arming Syria militants complicated question for Israel: Netanyahu PressTV 19 Apr 2013 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has refused to rule out the possibility of arming foreign-backed militants fighting against the Syrian government.
- Senate Committee Resolution Supports Israeli Action on Iran VOA 17 Apr 2013 -- The Senate Foreign Relations Committee has passed a resolution expressing U.S. solidarity with Israel if it has to defend itself militarily against Iran’s nuclear development program.
- Pentagon to allocate $400 million to Iron Dome PressTV 17 Apr 2013 -- The US Defense Department plans to spend nearly 400 million dollars during the next two years on Israel's Iron Dome missile system.
- Two Israeli spy drones violate Lebanon’s airspace PressTV 15 Apr 2013 -- Two Israeli reconnaissance planes have penetrated Lebanon’s airspace.
- Two Israeli military aircraft violate Lebanese airspace PressTV 01 Apr 2013 -- Two Israeli fighter jets have penetrated Lebanese airspace and flown over several areas of the country in blatant violation of a UN Security Council resolution.
- Obama in Mideast - Substance and Symbolism VOA 15 Mar 2013 -- As President Barack Obama arrives in Israel on the first leg of his Middle East trip next week, many Israelis are hoping his visit will reaffirm his commitment to Israel.
- Press Briefing by Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications Ben Rhodes and U.S. Ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro The White House 14 Mar 2013
- Obama, US Officials Reiterate All Options Open on Iran VOA 14 Mar 2013 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has reiterated his determination to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon.
- Israel Forms New Coalition Government VOA 14 Mar 2013 -- Israeli political parties have reached a coalition agreement, clearing the way for a new government and some top-level international diplomacy as U.S. President Barack Obama prepares to visit.
- Copter crash kills two Israeli reserve pilots PressTV 12 Mar 2013 -- Two Israeli reserve pilots have been killed in helicopter crash during an overnight training exercise in the southern occupied Palestinian lands.
- Israel can't rely on ‘friends' help: Ehud Barak PressTV 11 Mar 2013 -- Outgoing Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak says Tel Aviv could not rely even on its close allies for its security, regardless of pledges made to defend Israel.
- Israeli aircraft violate Lebanon airspace PressTV 11 Mar 2013 -- Four Israeli aircraft have penetrated Lebanese airspace and flown over several areas of the country.
- Obama to visit cabinet-less Tel Aviv despite earlier hints to cancel trip PressTV 10 Mar 2013 -- US President Barack Obama’s Israel trip will take place as planned this month despite earlier indications that the visit may be canceled if the Tel Aviv regime fails to put together a new government.
- Obama refrains from addressing Israel’s Knesset PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- US President Barack Obama will reportedly not speak in the Knesset during his upcoming trip to Israel.
- Obama to demand Israel withdraw from West Bank PressTV 07 Mar 2013 -- US President Barack Obama is going to demand a timetable for an Israeli withdrawal from the occupied West Bank during his visit to Israel later this month.
- Statement by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen at the joint press point with the President of Israel, Mr. Shimon Peres NATO 07 Mar 2013
- Australia confirms ‘Prisoner X’ worked for Israeli regime RIA Novosti 06 Mar 2013 -- Australia has admitted for the first time that Prisoner X worked for the Tel Aviv regime.
- Israel Renews Call to Free Jailed US Spy Jonathan Pollard VOA 06 Mar 2013 -- President Obama’s planned visit to Israel later this month has triggered renewed calls for Washington to free jailed American spy Jonathan Pollard.
- US reassures Israeli regime of military funding PressTV 06 Mar 2013 -- The United States' new Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel has met with Israeli Minister for Military Affairs Ehud Barak, reassuring that Washington will continue funding the Israeli regime’s costly missile system known as the Iron Dome.
- Readout of Secretary Chuck Hagel’s Meeting with Israeli Minister of Defense Ehud Barak DoD 05 Mar 2013
- Hagel, Barak Discuss Syria, Iran AFPS 05 Mar 2013 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak held talks at the Pentagon today on issues including Syria and Iran, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
- Mattis: Iran ‘Most Significant Threat’ To Regional Stability AFPS 05 Mar 2013 -- Iran’s behavior poses the greatest risk to stability in the Middle East, the commander of U.S. Central Command said here today.
- Netanyahu Says Iran Nearing 'Red Line' RFE/RL 05 Mar 2013 -- Iran has received fresh international warnings over its controversial nuclear program.
- Hawkish Israeli premier calls for 'military threat' against Iran PressTV 05 Mar 2013 -- The firebrand Israeli premier has once again called for a “clear and credible military threat” against Iran.
- Zionism heading toward collapse: Ahmadinejad PressTV 05 Mar 2013 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says Zionism is on the verge of collapse as developments in the region move in line with the aspirations of regional nations.
- Remarks by the Vice President to the AIPAC Policy Conference The White House 04 Mar 2013
- Netanyahu Says Iran Using Diplomacy To 'Buy Time' RFE/RL 04 Mar 2013 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Iran is using nuclear talks with world powers to "buy time" to work on building a nuclear bomb.
- Barak: Iranian Nuclear Program World's 'Greatest Challenge' VOA 04 Mar 2013 -- Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak says Iran's nuclear program is the biggest challenge facing Israel, the Middle East and the world.
- Israel boasts about Iron Dome PressTV 04 Mar 2013 -- Israel has boasted about its Iron Dome short-range missile system, which is mainly funded by the United States, calling it Israel’s cutting-edge missile technology.
- Obama to demand Israel withdraw from West Bank: Report PressTV 04 Mar 2013 -- US President Barack Obama is going to demand a timetable for an Israeli withdrawal from the occupied West Bank during his visit to Israel later this month.
- Three Israeli military aircraft violate Lebanese airspace PressTV 04 Mar 2013 -- Three Israeli military aircraft have penetrated Lebanese airspace and flown over several areas of the country in a blatant violation of a UN Security Council resolution.
- Israel concerned over US budget cuts PressTV 04 Mar 2013 -- Israel has expressed concern over the recent budget cuts that went into effect in the United States, saying they could affect Tel Aviv regime’s economy.
- Israel, US Test New Missile Defense System RIA Novosti 25 Feb 2013 -- Israel and the United States carried out the first successful test of the Arrow 3 missile defense interceptor on Monday, the Defense Ministry said.
- Israel, US test new Arrow missile system Iran Press TV 25 Feb 2013 -- Israel and the United States have test fired the latest generation of their Arrow missile system, the Arrow 3, over the Mediterranean Sea.
- Israeli parliament to probe Prisoner X death Iran Press TV 18 Feb 2013 -- The intelligence subcommittee of the [Knesset] foreign affairs and defense committee decided to hold an intensive inquiry into all aspects of the affair of the prisoner found dead in his cell.'
- Has Israel Assassinated An Iranian IRGC Official? RFE/RL 13 Feb 2013 -- At least two Iranian news agencies and several websites are reporting that an Iranian official in charge of reconstruction efforts in Lebanon has been assassinated by "Zionists."
- Israel Struggles to Keep Spy Story Cloaked in Secrecy VOA 13 Feb 2013 -- The mysterious death of an Australian prisoner in Israel has put the spotlight on a military-run censorship system.
- Netanyahu Says Iran Moving Closer To Atomic Weapon RFE/RL 12 Feb 2013 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Iran continues to move closer to being able to build a nuclear weapon.
- Israel: New Iran Centrifuges Demand Sanctions Upgrade VOA 11 Feb 2013 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that new centrifuges Iran was installing for its uranium enrichment program could cut by a third the time needed to create a nuclear bomb.
- Ban calls for preventing further tensions in Syria UN News Centre 31 Jan 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban noted with “grave concern” reports of Israeli air strikes in Syria.
- Syria Vows to Hold Israel Accountable for Air Strike VOA 31 Jan 2013 -- Syria has vowed to hold Israel and its allies accountable for a suspected Israeli air strike on a Syrian military target near Damascus.
- Syria Protests Israeli Air Strike VOA 31 Jan 2013 -- Syria's foreign ministry on Thursday complained to the United Nations about an Israeli air strike on Syrian territory.
- Damascus Complains To UN Over Air Strike RFE/RL 31 Jan 2013 -- Syria has lodged an official complaint with the United Nations over what it says was an Israeli air strike on a military research center near Damascus.
- Israeli Airstrike Inside Syria Concerns Russia VOA 31 Jan 2013 -- Russia is expressing concern about an alleged airstrike by Israeli warplanes inside Syria.
- Russia Concerned by Reports of Israeli Air Strike on Syria RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2013 -- Moscow is “deeply concerned” over reports of Israeli air strikes on Syrian territory on Wednesday and is seeking confirmation of what could be a serious violation of the UN charter.
- Syria Says Israeli Warplanes Hit 'Research Center' RFE/RL 31 Jan 2013 -- The Syrian Army says Israeli aircraft have struck what it described as a "scientific research center" northwest of the capital, Damascus.
- Syria Says Israel Strikes Military Facility RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2013 -- An Israeli airstrike hit a military research center in Syria on Wednesday, Syrian state news agency SANA reported, citing a statement by the Syrian army’s general command.
- Israelis Grab Gas Masks amid Syrian WMD Fears RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2013 -- The demand for gas masks almost tripled in Israel in January amid concerns about the safety of the Syrian chemical weapons stockpile.
- Israeli Warplanes Strike Inside Syria VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Israeli warplanes struck inside Syria Wednesday for the first time in five years.
- Israeli Concerns Rise Over Syria's Chemical Stockpile VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Israeli Air Force planes reportedly struck a target in southern Syria near the border with Lebanon.
- Israel Security Chief Visits Russia Amid Syrian WMD Concerns RIA Novosti 28 Jan 2013 -- Israel's Security Council head Yaakov Amidror headed to Russia on Monday.
- Israel Votes As Hope For Renewed Peace Process Remains Dim RFE/RL 21 Jan 2013 -- The economy and Iran's disputed nuclear program are the key issues on the agenda as Israeli voters head to the polls on January 22.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list