Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2014 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Turkey route for smuggling weapons to Iraq, Syria terrorists: UN Iran Press TV 31 Dec 2014 -- The UN says Turkey is being used as a main route for smuggling weapons to terrorist groups operating in Iraq and Syria.
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 31 Dec 2014 -- U.S. and partner-nation military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq today, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
- Iraq, Iran sign deal on defense cooperation ISNA 31 Dec 2014 -- Iran and Iraq signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to create national Army in Iraq and protect territorial integrity and security in the country.
- Inherent Resolve Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists AFPS 30 Dec 2014 -- U.S. and partner-nation military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq today, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
- Nine mass graves discovered in Iraq's Sinjar Iran Press TV 30 Dec 2014 -- At least nine mass graves, containing the bodies of Izadi Kurds killed by the ISIL Takfiri militants, have been found in Iraq.
- Iraq forces fully retake Dhuluiya town Iran Press TV 30 Dec 2014 -- Units of the Iraqi military, backed by volunteer forces, have managed to fully liberate the town of Dhuluiya in Salahuddin Province from the Takfiri ISIL militants.
- Iran, Iraq stress strengthening defense ties ISNA 30 Dec 2014 -- Iranian and Iraqi defense ministers stressed the further expansion of mutual defense cooperation between the two countries.
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 29 Dec 2014 -- U.S. and partner-nation military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq today, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent resolve officials reported.
- LATEST: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 29 Dec 2014 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- IS Downs Warplane in Iraq, Captures Pilot: Reports Sputnik 29 Dec 2014 -- Islamic State (IS) militants have downed an aircraft conducting strikes against the group's positions south of Tikrit, Iraq and have captured a pilot, Iraqi news agency Waradana reported Monday, citing the IS-run Bayan radio station.
- Islamic State Emergence Transformed Syria, Iraq in 2014 VOA 28 Dec 2014 -- The emergence of the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria as a potent force in early 2014 changed the dynamics of the region.
- Iraqi forces advance into Dhuluiyah, north of Baghdad, retake airport Iran Press TV 28 Dec 2014 -- Iraqi forces have launched a successful offensive into the city of Dhuluiyah, some 90 kilometers north of the capital Baghdad, retaking the city's airport from the ISIL terrorists.
- Sniper Kills Iranian Commander Training Anti-IS Troops in Iraq: Reports Sputnik 28 Dec 2014 -- An Iranian Revolutionary Guards General was killed by a sniper on Sunday, while training Iraqi troops and Shiite militia fighting against the Islamic State (IS) militants in Iraq, according to an Iranian media source, Reuters reports.
- Iran constant supporter of Iraqis: KRG president ISNA 27 Dec 2014 -- The president of Iraq's Kurdistan Regional Government hailed Iran's constant support for the Iraqi government and people in their fight against terrorist groups.
- Iraqi army makes further gains in Anbar, Salahuddin Iran Press TV 27 Dec 2014 -- Iraqi armed forces supported by volunteers have pushed ISIL Takfiri terrorists from areas in the provinces of Anbar, in the west of the country, and Salahuddin, north of the capital, Baghdad.
- Iraq, Turkey pledge joint efforts against ISIL Iran Press TV 25 Dec 2014 -- Iraq and Turkey have vowed to collaborate in the battle against the Takfiri ISIL terrorists, who continue to carry out acts of terror in those parts of Iraq and Syria under their control.
- Iraqi Pilots on Russian-Made Su-25 Launch Anti-IS Airstrikes Near Tikrit Sputnik 25 Dec 2014 -- Islamic State militants' positions near the Iraqi city of Tikrit were targeted by Iraqi military airstrikes, conducted from Russian-built Su-25 fighter jets, the local Al Sumaria TV channel reported on Thursday.
- Estimates Rising of Foreign Fighters in Iraq, Syria VOA 24 Dec 2014 -- Foreign fighters are making more of a mark on the battles raging across Syria and Iraq than initially thought.
- Iraq to Demand US Explanation Over Delayed F-16 Deliveries Sputnik 24 Dec 2014 -- Iraq will compel the United States to explain why it has delayed the delivery of F-16 fighter jets which Baghdad plans to use against Islamic State (IS) insurgents, a member of the Iraqi parliament's security and defense committee told a local news agency Wednesday.
- As winter hits displaced Iraqis, UN appeals for boost in humanitarian funding UN News Centre 23 Dec 2014 -- The United Nations today called for a surge in humanitarian funding to help cover the basic needs of close to one million internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Iraq's Kurdistan region amid plummeting temperatures and wintry conditions.
- Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria and Iraq AFPS 23 Dec 2014 -- U.S. and partner nation military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria today using fighter and bomber aircraft to conduct seven airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and partner nation military forces conducted three airstrikes in Iraq today using fighter, bomber, and attack aircraft against the ISIL terrorists.
- LATEST: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 23 Dec 2014 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- Iraqi Kurdish forces continue mop-up operations in Sinjar Iran Press TV 23 Dec 2014 -- Iraqi Kurdish forces who recently liberated Sinjar from ISIL militants continue mop-up operations against the Takfiri militants in the flashpoint northwestern Iraqi town, Press TV reports.
- Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria and Iraq AFPS 22 Dec 2014 -- U.S. and partner nation military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria Dec. 22 using fighter and bomber aircraft to conduct 12 airstrikes.
- Iraqi Kurds leader hails Peshmerga victories over ISIL Iran Press TV 21 Dec 2014 -- President of Iraq's Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) Masoud Barzani has commended the recent victories by Peshmerga forces over the ISIL Takfiri terrorists in Mount Sinjar.
- Barzani Says Peshmerga Break IS Siege Of Mount Sinjar RFE/RL 21 Dec 2014 -- Iraqi Kurdish leader Masud Barzani has claimed strategic victories by Kurdish Peshmerga fighters who are battling Islamic State (IS) militants in and around the contested northern Iraqi town of Sinjar.
- Iraqi Kurdish Leader Visits Sinjar After IS Pushed Out VOA 21 Dec 2014 -- Iraqi Kurdish leader Massoud Barzani visited Mount Sinjar after Kurdish peshmerga fighters broke a siege of the area by Islamic State fighters.
- Report: ISIL terrorists fleeing Mosul IRNA 20 Dec 2014 -- Majority of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) terrorists have fled the Iraqi city of Mosul, media reports said.
- Iraq army tightening noose around ISIL militants Iran Press TV 20 Dec 2014 -- The Iraqi army backed by Shia volunteers, Sunni tribes and Kurdish Peshmerga forces is tightening the noose on ISIL militants in several regions across the country.
- US Approves $3 Billion Sale of Tanks, Armored Vehicles to Iraq Sputnik 20 Dec 2014 -- The US State Department has approved possible sales of tanks and armored vehicles worth approximately $3 billion to Iraq, where Islamic State extremists have been active, the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) has revealed.
- Kurdish Forces Press Sinjar Offensive Against IS Extremists VOA 20 Dec 2014 -- Thousands of Kurdish peshmerga fighters advanced on Islamic State extremists Saturday in the Sinjar Mountains of northwestern Iraq, two days after breaking a months-long siege that trapped thousands of persecuted Yazidi minorities.
- Iraq – M1A1 Abrams Tanks DSCA 19 Dec 2014 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Iraq for M1A1 Abrams tanks and associated equipment, parts and logistical support for an estimated cost of $2.4 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Iraq - M1151A1 Up-Armored High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicles DSCA 19 Dec 2014 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Iraq for M1151A1 Up-Armored High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicles and associated equipment, parts and logistical support for an estimated cost of $579 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Airstrikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 19 Dec 2014 -- U.S. and partner-nation military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria today using fighter and bomber aircraft to conduct four airstrikes, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
- LATEST: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 19 Dec 2014 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- Hagel Authorizes Up to 1,300 Additional Troops to Deploy to Iraq AFPS 19 Dec 2014 -- Up to 1,300 more U.S. troops, including approximately 1,000 soldiers from the Army's 82nd Airborne Division, will begin to deploy to Iraq in late January, Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby said today.
- Hagel signs orders for more troops deploying to Iraq Iran Press TV 19 Dec 2014 -- US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has approved new orders for several hundred American troops to deploy to Iraq to train and assist Iraqi forces battling the ISIL terrorists.
- Peshmerga regains control of Tal Afar Mountain in NW Iraq Iran Press TV 19 Dec 2014 -- The Kurdish Peshmerga forces have reportedly regained control of the Tal Afar Mountain in Iraq's northwestern Nineveh Province from the ISIL Takfiri terrorists.
- Iraqi Kurds Break IS Siege of Mount Sinjar: Reports Sputnik 19 Dec 2014 -- Peshmerga forces assisted by a US-led international coalition managed to break the siege of Mount Sinjar, where thousands of Yazidis have been trapped since mid-summer, Iraqi Kurds claim, according to AFP.
- Kurdish Forces Claim Victory on Mt. Sinjar VOA 19 Dec 2014 -- Kurdish forces in northern Iraq on Friday said they have broken the Islamic State's siege of Mount Sinjar, claiming their biggest victory yet against the militant group and building on the news that three IS leaders have been killed.
- AF delivers Iraqi F-16s for training in US AFNS 18 Dec 2014 -- For more than 65 years the Air Force has embraced the concept of flexibility being the key to airpower. Now Airmen from the Arizona Air National Guard are sharing that capacity to find creative ways to overcome problems with one of the Air Force's newest allies – the Iraqi air force.
- Kurdish forces end ISIL siege on Mount Sinjar: Official Iran Press TV 18 Dec 2014 -- Kurdish Peshmerga forces have managed to end a siege by the ISIL Takfiri terrorist group on Mount Sinjar in Iraq, a senior Kurdish official says.
- Iraqi Sunni Leaders Denounce Islamic State VOA 18 Dec 2014 -- Iraq's top Sunni religious, political and tribal leaders met in the Kurdish regional capital Irbil Thursday to denounce Islamic State terrorists and call for the formation of a National Guard to help combat them.
- Kurds retake villages around N Iraq town Iran Press TV 17 Dec 2014 -- Iraq's Kurdish fighters have retaken three villages near the militant-held Kurdish town of Sinjar in the northern Iraqi Nineveh Province.
- 5,000 Albu Nimr tribesmen besieged in western Iraq Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2014 -- The leader of the Sunni Albu Nimr tribe says the ISIL Takfiri militants have besieged around 5,000 members of his tribe in Iraq's violence-plagued western province of Anbar.
- Kurdish Troops to Fight IS in Mosul Alongside Iraqi Forces, Not Alone Sputnik 16 Dec 2014 -- Kurdish Peshmerga forces will not fight alone against the Islamic State (IS), but are ready to help the federal government liberate Iraq's second-largest city, Iraqi Kurdistan President Masoud Barzani said in an interview to Al Arabiya Tuesday.
- Inherent Resolve Airstrikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 15 Dec 2014 -- U.S. and partner nation military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
- ISIL executes 30 defiant Iraqis in Mosul Iran Press TV 15 Dec 2014 -- The ISIL Takfiri terrorists have executed at least 30 young men in the Iraqi city of Mosul after they refused to join the militants' fight against the government forces.
- UK to Send Hundreds of Troops to Iraq in January to Train Local Forces Sputnik 13 Dec 2014 -- The United Kingdom will send hundreds of the country's troops in January to train the Iraqi and Kurdish forces fighting the increasingly threatening Islamic State (IS) militant group, the UK defense secretary told The Telegraph on Saturday.
- Kirby: Iraqi Government, Military Committed to Defeat of ISIL AFPS 12 Dec 2014 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel's trip to Iraq this week served two purposes: to talk with and thank U.S. troops deployed there and to meet with Iraq's leaders, Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby told reporters today.
- Iraqi forces recapture two districts in city of Samarra Iran Press TV 12 Dec 2014 -- The Iraqi army has managed to liberate two key districts in the city of Samarra as fierce clashes rage on between government forces and the ISIL Takfiri terrorists.
- ISIL threatening Samarra: Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani Iran Press TV 12 Dec 2014 -- Iraq's most senior Shia cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani has warned that the ISIL Takfiri terrorist group is threatening the holy city of Samarra.
- Germany May Send More Soldiers to Train Anti-IS Kurdish Troops in Iraq Sputnik 11 Dec 2014 -- The German government is planning to ask Bundestag, the lower house of the country's parliament, for a mandate to send a hundred of additional troops to train Kurdish peshmerga fighters combating Islamic State (IS) insurgency in northern Iraq, a German newspaper said Thursday.
- Airstrikes Target ISIL Terrorists' Facilities, Capabilities AFPS 10 Dec 2014 -- U.S. military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria over the last three days, while U.S. and partner-nation military forces have conducted 13 airstrikes in Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
- AF Secretary: ISIL Fight Requires Comprehensive Approach AFPS 10 Dec 2014 -- The air campaign against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant is working as part of the ongoing joint effort to disrupt, degrade and destroy the terrorist organization, Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James said here last night.
- LATEST: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 10 Dec 2014 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- 727 Kurdish fighters killed in fight against ISIL: Peshmerga Iran Press TV 10 Dec 2014 -- As many as 727 fighters belonging to Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region have been killed in the fight against the ISIL Takfiri militants since the outbreak of militancy in the Arab country in June, the Peshmerga forces say.
- Iraq's Sole Yazidi Lawmaker Calls For Help RFE/RL 10 Dec 2014 -- Iraq's only ethnic Yazidi member of parliament has called on the United States to step up efforts to help her community against acts of violence by the Islamic State (IS) extremist group.
- Hagel 'Encouraged' by Iraq's Leaders, Progress in ISIL Fight AFPS 09 Dec 2014 -- A meeting with Iraq's leaders in Baghdad today left Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel feeling encouraged by their progress and vision for the future, the secretary said today.
- US defense secretary on surprise visit to Baghdad Iran Press TV 09 Dec 2014 -- The outgoing US secretary of defense has arrived in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad on a surprise visit amid increasing efforts against the ISIL Takfiri terrorists operating in Iraq and Syria.
- Iraqi PM Asks U.S. Defense Chief For More Air Strikes, Weaponry RFE/RL 09 Dec 2014 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi has asked U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel for more air strikes by Western warplanes against Islamic State (IS) militants and for more weapons to battle them.
- Iraqi PM Asks US for More Airstrikes, Weapons VOA 09 Dec 2014 -- Iraq's prime minister was requesting more airpower from the United States to bolster the offensive against Islamic State militants, as U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel began an unannounced visit to Baghdad on Tuesday.
- Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 08 Dec 2014 -- U.S. and partner-nation military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists over the last four days, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
- Coalition Against IS Pledges More Troops For Iraq RFE/RL 08 Dec 2014 -- A top American commander says the U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State (IS) extremist group has pledged to send an additional 1,500 troops to Iraq.
- LATEST: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 08 Dec 2014 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- Iran upbeat on stopping ISIL activities in Iraq, says Zarif ISNA 08 Dec 2014 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said he is optimistic about stopping activities of the ISIL terrorist group and its frequent failures in Iraq.
- Anbar Sunni tribesmen seeking tribal army: Report Iran Press TV 08 Dec 2014 -- Members of Sunni tribes in Iraq's western Anbar Province say they want to form a tribal army to fight ISIL Takfiri militants, a report says.
- Jafari: Iraq expects more cooperation from Iran in fight against ISIS IRNA 08 Dec 2014 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Jafari said Iran expects more help from Iran in its fighting against Daesh (ISIS).
- Iran will stand by Iraq until end of anti-ISIL fight: Zarif Iran Press TV 07 Dec 2014 -- Iran will stand by the Iraqi nation until the end of its campaign against the ISIL Takfiri militants, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says.
- ISIL Takfiri terrorists execute 12 Shia fighters in Iraq Iran Press TV 07 Dec 2014 -- ISIL Takfiri terrorists have reportedly executed 12 Shia fighters north of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad following heavy fighting for control of a village.
- ISIL terrorists execute 16 Sunnis in western Iraq Iran Press TV 06 Dec 2014 -- ISIL Takfiri militants have abducted and killed 16 members of an Iraqi tribe, which has been fighting the terror group in the western province of Anbar.
- Iraqi Kurdistan Home to 2Mln Refugees: Kurdistan Democratic Party Sputnik 05 Dec 2014 -- Representative of the Kurdistan Democratic Party in Russia stated that there are currently about 2 million refugees in Iraqi Kurdistan.
- Separate car bomb attacks claim 18 lives in Baghdad Iran Press TV 04 Dec 2014 -- At least eighteen people have been killed in two separate car bomb attacks targeting a group of restaurants and an outdoor market in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
- Airstrikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 03 Dec 2014 -- U.S. military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria Dec. 1 through today using fighter and bomber aircraft to conduct 14 airstrikes, U.S. Central Command officials reported today.
- Kerry: Coalition to fight ISIL 'for as long as it takes' Iran Press TV 03 Dec 2014 -- Secretary of State John Kerry says US-led airstrikes have inflicted "significant" damage on the ISIL terrorist organization in Iraq and Syria, pledging the campaign would go on "for as long as it takes."
- Kerry Says Coalition Against IS Militants Will Prevail RFE/RL 03 Dec 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says the U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State militants is 'united and moving ahead on all fronts' and 'will engage in this campaign for as long as it takes to prevail.'
- Remarks at the Counter-ISIL Meeting by John Kerry, Secretary of State US Dept. of State 03 Dec 2014
- Kerry Praises Achievements by US-Led Anti-Islamic State Coalition Sputnik 03 Dec 2014 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry stresses that the coalition has managed to inflict significant damage on the Islamic State's logistical and operational capabilities. He says the coalition's strength stems from its diversity.
- Kerry: It Will Take Years to Defeat Islamic State VOA 03 Dec 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says it will take years to defeat the Islamic State militants, but that coalition airstrikes against the insurgents have made it 'much harder' for them to launch new attacks.
- NATO reaffirms partnership with Iraq, will consider request for defence capacity building NATO 03 Dec 2014 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi in Brussels on Wednesday (3 December 2014), for a discussion on security and political developments in Iraq, Syria, and the wider region. The Secretary General noted that NATO and Iraq have worked for years on strengthening political dialogue and increasing the capacity of Iraqi security forces. Noting the challenging circumstances facing Iraq and the region, Mr Stoltenberg assured Prime Minister al-Abadi of the Alliance's continued commitment to the NATO-Iraq partnership
- LATEST: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 03 Dec 2014 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- Iraq Says Woman Detained by Lebanese Army Is Not Wife of Islamic Leader Sputnik 03 Dec 2014 -- The woman, detained by the Lebanese military on Tuesday, is not a wife of the Islamic state leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Reuters reports, citing Iraqi Interior Ministry.
- Iran Denies It Has Launched Air Strikes In Iraq RFE/RL 03 Dec 2014 -- The Pentagon says the United States has indications that Iran has conducted air strikes targeting Islamic State militants in Iraq, while a senior Iranian official flatly denied Tehran has done so.
- Pentagon Says Iran Bombed Islamic State in Iraq, Tehran Denies Involvement Sputnik 03 Dec 2014 -- Iran has denied conducting airstrikes against Islamic State (IS) targets in Iraq, Reuters reports, citing a senior Iranian official.
- New Iraqi-Kurdish Agreement Bolsters National Unity VOA 03 Dec 2014 -- Iraq's chances of remaining a unitary state increased significantly with the signing of a new oil and budget agreement between the Baghdad government and the Kurds.
- UN envoy welcomes deal between Iraqi, Kurdish region on oil, finances UN News Centre 02 Dec 2014 -- The head of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI) welcomed today an agreement reached between the Government of Iraq and the Kurdistan Regional Government to resolve issues related to oil exports and the budget.
- Iraqi Government, Kurdistan Land Deal on Budget, Oil Exports: Reports Sputnik 02 Dec 2014 -- The Iraqi government and the autonomous region of Kurdistan in northern Iraq have agreed on a national budget and oil export deal after years of conflict, Press TV reported Tuesday citing a statement from Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi's office.
- Violence in Iraq kills at least 1,232 people in November – UN UN News Centre 01 Dec 2014 -- Some 1,232 people – mostly civilians – were killed by violence in Iraq in November, the top United Nations official there said today as he called on Iraq's political, religious and social leaders to rise above their differences and work to consolidate the democratic process.
- Iraq border guards kill 20 ISIL terrorists in Anbar Iran Press TV 01 Dec 2014 -- At least 20 ISIL Takfiri terrorists have been killed and dozens injured when Iraqi border guards thwarted an attempt by the militants to infiltrate into the western province of Anbar.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list