Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
02 May 2007 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 02 May 2007 [PDF]
- Roadside bomb targets MND-B patrol
- Press Briefing, May 2, 2007 MNF-I 02 May 2007 -- Press briefing with Rear Admiral Mark Fox, MNF-I Strategic Effects chief, and Major General Darryl A. Scott, commanding general, Joint Contracting Command Iraq/Afghanistan, May 2, 2007
- May 1 airpower summary: Airmen support air operations AFPN 02 May 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force, or ISAF, in Afghanistan in the following operations May 1, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- New US Brigade Arrives in Baghdad to Bolster Security VOA 02 May 2007 -- The U.S. military says another 3,700 American troops have arrived in the Iraqi capital to support the security crackdown launched in Baghdad in mid-February.
- 4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division arrives in Iraq MNF-I 02 May 2007 -- Multi-National Corps-Iraq added a U.S. brigade this week to assist the Iraqi Security Forces in and around Baghdad.
- 'Trackers' Return From Deployment Navy NewsStand 02 May 2007 -- Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Light (HSL) 43 Detachment 6, the "Trackers," returned May 1 after completing a six-month deployment to the western Pacific Ocean and Philippine Sea.
- Negotiations Begin on New War Funding Bill VOA 02 May 2007 -- Negotiations are under way between the White House and the U.S. Congress on a revised war funding bill
- Democrats to Keep Pressure on Bush Over Iraq Funding VOA 02 May 2007 -- Majority Democrats intend to maintain pressure on President Bush over Iraq in coming months, despite the president's veto of war funding legislation containing a timeline for withdrawing U.S. forces
- US House Fails To Override Presidential Veto on Iraq Funding Bill VOA 02 May 2007 -- The U.S. House of Representatives has failed to override a presidential veto on an emergency war funding bill that would have set a timeline for bringing U.S. troops home from Iraq.
- Bush Looking Forward to Meeting Lawmakers to Discuss Iraq VOA 02 May 2007 -- President Bush says he is looking forward to meeting with Congressional leaders to discuss funding for the Iraq war
- Bush Vetoes Bill That Would Require Iraq Pullout RFE/RL 02 May 2007 -- President George W. Bush has vetoed legislation that would have required him to begin withdrawing U.S. combat troops from Iraq this year.
- Bush: Al Qaeda Cannot Gain Safe Haven in Iraq AFPS 02 May 2007 -- The decision America faces in Iraq is not whether to take sides in a sectarian civil war, but whether to continue the fight against al Qaeda, the organization that attacked the United States on Sept. 11, 2001, and is now threatening stability in Iraq and the entire Middle East, President Bush said here today.
- Improved Security Helps Iraq's Political Progress, U.S. Ambassador Says AFPS 02 May 2007 -- The ongoing surge of U.S. and Iraqi security forces into Baghdad and parts of western Iraq is designed to tamp down insurgent violence and provide enough time for the fledgling government to sort out pressing political issues, the senior U.S. diplomat in Iraq said yesterday.
- U.S. Envoy to Iraq Sees Signs of Progress with Security Plan Washington File 02 May 2007 -- The new U.S. ambassador to Iraq, Ryan Crocker, says he deplores the physical and psychological damage done to Iraq since he last served in the country two years ago, but adds that the new Baghdad security plan is helping curtail much of the violence responsible for that damage.
- Secretary-General meets with world leaders ahead of Iraq Compact launch UN News Centre 02 May 2007 -- Ahead of tomorrow's formal launch of the International Compact with Iraq, a five-year peace and development plan for the war-ravaged country, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is meeting today with officials from the United States, Iraq and the League of Arab States in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt.
- Egypt Conferences Support Iraqi National Reconciliation Washington File 02 May 2007 -- The entire Middle East has a great deal at stake in the future of Iraq, according to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, and she urged Iraq's neighbors to demonstrate their support for efforts to stabilize the security situation when they participate in the Iraq Neighbors' Conference in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, May 4.
- IRAQ: Displaced families fall victim to house sale scams IRIN 02 May 2007 -- Officials in the Iraqi Ministry of Construction and Housing have asked Iraqis to be wary of vendors who sell properties belonging to the displaced under false pretences.
- Iraq Weekly Status Report US Dept. of State 02 May 2007 [PDF]
- Analysis: Wary Neighbors Meet on Iraq cfr.org 02 May 2007 -- The stakes are high and the RSVPs in. Top officials from the Middle East, in addition to the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, will meet in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, for a May 3-4 conference to tackle issues of security and power-sharing in Iraq
- Foreign Ministers Arriving in Egypt for Key Iraq Conference VOA 02 May 2007 -- Foreign ministers from around the world have been arriving in the Egyptian resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh for an international conference aimed at stabilizing Iraq
- Larijani calls for attention to Iraqi nation's interests IRNA 02 May 2007 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Larijani said on Wednesday the international meeting on Iraqi security in Egypt's Sharm el-Sheikh should pay heed to interests of the Iraqi people.
- Iran: A Suspicious Tehran To Attend Iraqi Summit RFE/RL 02 May 2007 -- Iran says it will attend the regional Iraqi security conference to be held in the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh on May 3-4, but only to discuss Iraq-related affairs.
- U.S. bill to pull out of Iraq simply electioneering - Russia MP RIA Novosti 02 May 2007 -- The debate surrounding a U.S. Congress decision to withdraw troops from Iraq is merely part of an election struggle between Democrats and Republicans, a senior Russian parliamentarian said Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list