17 May 2006 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 17 May 2006 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Balad remains one busy airfield AFPN 17 May 2006 -- Aircraft pack the flightline here and operations are non-stop and intense
- Transcript: Murtha press conference transcript on Iraq Office of Congressman Joh Murtha 17 May 2006
- Key Iraq War Critic Renews Call for US Withdrawal VOA 17 May 2006 -- A key congressional war critic has renewed his call for U.S. troops to leave Iraq and transfer responsibility for security to Iraqis.
- U.S. Welcomes News that Iraqi Government Will Be Announced May 20 Washington File 17 May 2006 -- The United States welcomes reports that Iraqi Prime Minister-designate Nouri al-Maliki intends to convene the country's parliament, the Council of Representatives, to announce the composition of his government and to ask the parliament for a vote of confirmation.
- Iraq Weekly Status Report State Dept. 17 May 2006 [PDF]
- Background Q&A: Snags Remain in Forming Iraqi Government cfr.org 17 May 2006
- Analysis: Iraq's Absent Leadership cfr.org 17 May 2006 -- Prime Minister-designate Nuri al-Maliki has reportedly finalized his cabinet, and Iraq's parliament is expected to convene May 20 to vote on the candidates nominated
- Iraq: Bringing Security To The Chaotic South RFE/RL 17 May 2006 -- President Jalal Talabani told reporters at a May 15 press briefing in Baghdad that the Presidency Council has formed a committee to look into the deteriorating security situation in Al-Basrah, where rogue militias now run rampant as the political parties supporting them vie for power.
- Iraqi Lawmakers: Vote Set for Saturday on New Cabinet VOA 17 May 2006 -- Iraqi lawmakers say Prime Minister-designate Nouri al-Maliki has called for parliament to meet on Saturday to ratify a new Cabinet.
- IRAQ: Baghdad mortuary overwhelmed by rising numbers of dead IRIN 17 May 2006 -- Sajida Youssef, a housekeeper, waited more than 24 hours for the body of her son, who had been murdered by thieves, to be released from Baghdad's central morgue.
- Iraqi Forces Search for Kidnapped UAE Diplomat; Saddam Appears in Court VOA 17 May 2006 -- Iraqi security forces are searching for a United Arab Emirates diplomat who was kidnapped Tuesday in the Mansour district of western Baghdad.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|