Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
16 January 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraqi Man Leads Marines to Weapons Cache MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- An Iraqi man flagged down a group of Marines patrolling south of Baghdad Jan. 15, and led them to a small weapons stockpile.
- Tip Leads Base Security to Bomb Site Near Camp Taji MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- Thanks to a tip from a local resident, Task Force Baghdad Soldiers guarding the perimeter at Camp Taji discovered an improvised explosive device (IED) nearby.
- AIF Cell Leader Detained in Raid Near Ad Dwar MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers from 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment detained an anti-Iraqi force cell leader in a raid near Ad Dwar on Jan. 15 at 11:55 p.m.
- Two AIF Members Captured in Raid Near Tikrit MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers captured two wanted anti-Iraqi force members in a raid near Tikrit at 8:50 p.m., Jan.15.
- VCIED Found and Destroyed Near Ad Dujayl MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Danger Soldiers discovered and destroyed a vehicle-concealed improvised explosive device (VCIED) near Ad Dujayl on January 15th.
- IP Officer Wounded at Checkpoint MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- One Iraqi police officer was killed and four were wounded when anti-Iraqi forces attacked a checkpoint near Kirkuk with small arms fire in a drive-by shooting at 8:00 p.m., Jan. 15.
- Artillery Unit Fires First Combat Shots in More Than 50 Years MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- The Soldiers of the Idaho Army National Guard's 1st Platoon, Howitzer Battery, 1-148th Field Artillery Regiment, made history on Jan. 5 when they fired missions in support of Soldiers of the Iraqi Army, marking the first time in more than 50 years the unit has fired its howitzers in combat.
- 32nd IA Brigade Questions 50, Detains Seven MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- The 32nd Iraqi Army Brigade questioned 50 individuals and detained seven suspects during their first independent operation near Baqubah on Jan. 14.
- Joint Raid Leads to Detention, Confiscation MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces and Soldiers from the Iraqi Army detained two suspected anti-Iraqi insurgents and confiscated a large amount of bomb-making materials and weapons on Jan. 14 in northern Iraq.
- Multi-National Forces Confiscate Weapons, Capture 11 MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), confiscated weapons and ammunition, and detained 11 individuals during operations in northern Iraq yesterday.
- Multi-National Forces Detain 36 in Early Morning Operations MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- Three separate operations Jan. 16 resulted in the detention of 36 suspected anti-Iraqi forces individuals.
- Insurgents' Gunshots Critically Wound two Children MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- Anti-Iraqi insurgents shot and critically wounded two Iraqi children in northern Iraq on Jan. 16.
- Soldiers uncover caches as part of Operation Powder River MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers from 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment, discovered a pair of separate caches near Ad Duluiyah on Jan. 16 as part of Operation Powder River.
- Seven Suspects Detained by 10th Mountain Troops MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- The keen eyes of Soldiers from 2nd Brigade Combat Team "Commandos", 10th Mountain Division, resulted in the apprehension of seven suspected insurgents early Jan. 16.
- Annihilators keep pressure on insurgents in north Babil MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- The Company A 'Annihilators' of Task Force 2nd Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, have added to their record of finding weapons caches and arresting anti-Iraqi terrorists with every operation they've conducted since moving to the Latifiyah area of North Babil three weeks ago.
- More Insurgents Captured, Some With Iraqi Citizens' Help AFPS 16 Jan 2005 -- With Iraq's Jan. 30 national assembly election drawing closer, coalition and Iraqi forces continue rounding up insurgents and confiscating illegal weapons.
- Wolfowitz: 'Absolute Security' Impossible for Iraqi Election AFPS 17 Jan 2005 -- Nothing can provide "absolute security against the extraordinary intimidation" terrorists are undertaking in Iraq, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz said here today. But, he added, Iraqis still have a "passionate" desire to vote.
- BUSH-IRAQ VOA 16 Jan 2005 -- President Bush says American voters ratified his stand on Iraq when they re-elected him in November, and there is no need to hold officials accountable for any miscalculations or mistakes in judgment either before or after the invasion. The comments were made in an interview published just days before the president takes the oath of office for a second term.er Jr.'s jail term is five years less than the maximum sentence under the law.
- Iraq: U.S. Soldier Gets 10 Years For Role In Abu Ghurayb Prison Abuses RFE/RL 16 Jan 2005 -- A military jury sentenced an enlisted U.S. soldier to 10 years in jail for his leading role in the torture of Iraqi prisoners at the Abu Ghurayb prison in 2003. Specialist Charles Gran
- Arab nationalists in Iraq must be persuaded to support elections, UN envoy says UN News Centre 16 Jan 2005 -- Elections scheduled to take place at the end of this month in Iraq must be as inclusive as possible, the United Nations envoy to the country said today, calling for greater efforts to reach out to Arab nationalists, especially the Sunni Muslims who have voiced reservations about the polling process.
- Iraqi Army's 8th Brigade Graduate Multiple Classes MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- About 900 Iraqi Soldiers from the 8th Brigade, 3rd Division, graduated from basic military training at Al Kasik Military Training Base on Jan. 16.
- IRAQ / ELECTION CAMPAIGN VOA 16 Jan 2005 -- With many parts of Iraq too dangerous to hold large campaign rallies, Iraqi political parties running in the country's January 30th elections have been appealing to voters almost exclusively on television, radio, and in newspapers. The near-daily violence aimed at derailing the elections has presented candidates and their slates extreme challenges, as well as opportunities, for reaching voters.
- Analysis: Kurdish Rebels Top Tripartite Agenda In Ankara RFE/RL 16 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi, Turkish, and U.S. officials met in Ankara on 11 January to discuss Turkish demands that the U.S. and Iraqi militaries address the issue of Turkish-Kurdish rebels based in northern Iraq.
- Iraqi Army Soldiers Conduct Joint Training MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- Soldiers of L Troop 3, 278th Regimental Combat Team, conducted joint training at Forward Operating Base Cobra with Iraqi Army personnel.
- Iraqi Army Arrives at Al Kisik MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi Security Forces have doubled in size to keep pace with Multi-National Forces in northern Iraq who have also doubled in size.
- Iraqi Air Force Takes off with Aircraft Delivery MNF-I/MNC-I 16 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces and Iraqi military leaders gathered at a secure air facility in Iraq to celebrate the activation of the 23rd Iraqi Air Force Squadron.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list