Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
05 December Iraq Special Weapons News
- Determination and Findings Deputy Secretary of Defense 05 Dec 2003 -- "This Determination and Findings (D&F) applies to the 24 construction and services, and indefinite-delivery, indefinite quantity contracts described in the attachment that are to be awarded by the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) and by the Department of Defense, on behalf of the CPA. (...) These contracts will obligate $18.6B in funds from teh Iraq relief and Reconstruction Fund (IRRF), whih were appropriated by Public Law 108-106 for the purpose of relief and reconstruction of Iraq. (...) It is necessary for the protection of the essential security interests of the United States to limit competition for the prime contracts of these procurements to companies from the United States, Iraq, Coalition partners and for contributing nations. Thus, it is clearly in the public interest to limit prime contracts to companies from these countries."
[PDF 271 Kb]
- Powell Tells German TV He Hopes Germany Can Aid Iraq Recovery Washington File 05 Dec 2003 -- Secretary of State Colin Powell told German television December 4 that U.S.-German relations are "excellent and improving" after the disagreement over going to war to remove Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, and he hopes Germany will be able to do more to help in Iraq's post-war recovery.
- Bush Names Former Secretary of State Baker as Envoy on Iraq Debt Washington File 05 Dec 2003 -- President Bush has named former Secretary of State James Baker as his personal envoy to help Iraq deal with its enormous debt problem.
- CPA Advisor Senor Says Reducing Iraq's Debt Is a High Priority Washington File 05 Dec 2003 -- The senior advisor of the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) in Baghdad says reducing Iraq's debt is a high priority for both the CPA and Iraq's Governing Council.
- Coalition, Governing Council Statement on Iraqi Sovereignty Washington File 05 Dec 2003 -- Administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority Paul Bremer and President of the Iraqi Governing Council Jalal Talibani issued a statement to the Iraqi people December 1 saying that their sovereignty will be restored by June 30, 2004, in the form of a Transitional Iraqi Government.
- Iraq: A Priority For New Government Will Be To Get People Back To Work RFE/RL 05 Dec 2003 -- Iraqi officials say unemployment in the country is much lower than during the months after the war. However, even the most cautious estimates indicate that half of the Iraqi workforce is not officially employed. Future economic reforms in the country will create new jobs, but they also will leave some people now employed in state factories without work.
- Iraq: Militia Members Could Have Role In Establishing Security RFE/RL 05 Dec 2003 -- Members of the Iraqi Governing Council are proposing to give the militias of major Iraqi political parties a role in helping secure the country. U.S. officials have yet to give a final opinion on the suggestion. But Washington has stressed the militiamen would have to be integrated into Iraq's national institutions to ensure they don't promote the interests of their own parties.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list