Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2016 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Tehran Denies US Accusations of Supplying Weapons to Yemen Sputnik 31 Oct 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qasemi said that a large number of lethal weapons, bombs and US-made missiles used by the Saudi-led coalition were targeting the Yemeni civilian infrastructure and population.
- Spokesman dismisses US claims over supplying arms for Yemen IRNA 31 Oct 2016 -- Spokesman of the Foreign Ministry Bahram Qasemi condemned and rejected latest allegations raised by the US against Iran over alleged sending of military aid to Yemen.
- Enemies not safe from Iran forces' response: Commander IRNA 31 Oct 2016 -- A senior army commander has announced that the threatening countries and their supporters cannot be secure from Iranian armed forces' response.
- Zarif: Iran most powerful state in region IRNA 30 Oct 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that the Islamic Republic of Iran with reliance on genuine principles of the Islamic revolution is the most powerful state in the region.
- Nuclear energy, symbol of glory: AEOI head IRNA 30 Oct 2016 -- Nuclear energy has turned into a symbol of glory and the nation's dignity, Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi said here Sunday.
- Iran most powerful state in Middle East: Zarif Press TV 30 Oct 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Islamic Republic is the most powerful state in the Middle East region through reliance on the high values and genuine principles of the Islamic Revolution.
- Iran rules out military solution to Syria crisis Press TV 29 Oct 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani has reiterated Iran's stance that the crisis in Syria should be resolved through "political" means only.
- Iran Navy flotilla docks at Tanzanian port IRNA 29 Oct 2016 -- Iran's 44th naval fleet docked at Tanzania's Port city of Dar es Salaam on Saturday in line with the country's strategy of increasing its naval presence in high seas.
- Iran Navy's 44th flotilla docks at Tanzania port Press TV 29 Oct 2016 -- An Iranian Navy fleet has docked at Tanzania's Port city of Dar es Salaam in line with the Islamic Republic's strategy of expanding its naval presence in the high seas.
- Two California Men Among Those Charged in Scheme to Smuggle Military Aircraft Parts and Defense Items to Iran US Dept. of Justice 28 Oct 2016 -- Zavik Zargarian, 52, of Glendale, California, and Vache Nayirian, 57, of Lakeview Terrace, California, were arrested Wednesday morning on federal charges for their alleged role in a scheme to smuggle millions of dollars' worth of military aircraft parts and other potential defense items to Iran in violation of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) and the Iranian Transactions and Sanctions Regulations (ITSR).
- Islamic Revolution Guard Corps ten times more powerful today: Commander IRNA 26 Oct 2016 -- Today military power of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps is ten times as much the power yielded by the force during the last year of the Iran-Iraq war, says the IRGC commander.
- Iran unveils long-range, radar-evading drone Press TV 26 Oct 2016 -- Iran has unveiled a new light-weight, long-range stealth unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) capable of flying at a maximum altitude of 10, 000 feet.
- EU seeks closer ties with Iran after JCPOA: President Rouhani Press TV 26 Oct 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani says the European Union is willing to expand its relations with Iran, especially in the light of the circumstances that has ensued Tehran's nuclear agreement with world powers.
- Jahangiri: Iran's missile power main factor in its deterrence capabilities IRNA 25 Oct 2016 -- First Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri said Iran's missile power is one of the major factors contributing to its deterrence capabilities.
- Rouhani: Adopting new technology, an aim of nuclear deal IRNA 24 Oct 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani has said one of the objectives of July 2015 nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), was to gain the world's new technology.
- Iran president says any foreign intervention 'very dangerous' Press TV 24 Oct 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the Islamic Republic pursues a very transparent stance in combating terrorism in the Middle East, warning of the "very dangerous" consequences of any act of foreign intervention in the internal affairs of other countries.
- Iran rebukes Turkey for violating Iraqi territory under excuse of fight against terror ISNA 24 Oct 2016 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi on Monday rebuked the Turkish government for violating Iraqi territory under excuse of fight against terrorism without permission from Baghdad government.
- Rouhani: Nuclear deal result of Leader's prudence IRNA 23 Oct 2016 -- Iran's nuclear deal with world powers known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action was the result of the Supreme Leader's prudence and an achievement by the Iranian people and the government of the Islamic Republic, says President Rouhani.
- Iran opposes any foreign meddling in countries' affairs: Leader's advisor Press TV 23 Oct 2016 -- A senior advisor to Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says Iran opposes meddling by any country in the internal affairs of other states.
- Iran unveils surveillance radars, tracking systems Press TV 22 Oct 2016 -- Iran has unveiled domestically-manufactured strategic aerial navigation and tracking systems, including two military surveillance radars.
- Armed Forces ready to give harsh response to any aggression: Cmdr. IRNA 21 Oct 2016 -- A senior commander with the General Staff of the Armed Forces said on Friday that Iran's Armed Forces are keeping a close watch on the borders and will render a harsh response to enemies in case of any possible aggression.
- Iran rejects allegations on possible role in missile attack on US warships IRNA 20 Oct 2016 -- Spokesman for the Foreign Ministry Bahram Qasemi has strongly refused any possible role of Iran in attacking the US warships in the Red Sea.
- Iran: US claims of attack role 'suspicious' Press TV 20 Oct 2016 -- Iran has strongly dismissed US accusations linking Tehran to alleged missile attacks on American warships in the Red Sea, denouncing the claims as "imaginary, whimsical, suspicious and baseless."
- Iran to stand by Iraqi nation in anti-terror battle: Velayati Press TV 20 Oct 2016 -- A senior Iranian official has reiterated the Islamic Republic's support for neighboring Iraq in its anti-terror battle as the Arab country starts a large-scale operation to drive Daesh terrorists out of the northern city of Mosul.
- Iran not interfering in Iraq affairs: Leader advisor Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- A senior Iranian official says only Iraqi forces have the right to participate in the ongoing operation to liberate the Iraqi city of Mosul, Daesh's last major stronghold in the Arab country.
- Iranian air force fighters target hypothetical enemies during war game IRNA 19 Oct 2016 -- Iranian air force jet fighters targeted hypothetical enemies with Maverick missiles and intelligent rockets during a war game in this central Iran province on Wednesday.
- Iranian Navy fleet gives berth at Port of Baku amid warm welcome IRNA 19 Oct 2016 -- Iranian Navy fleet comprised of Damavand destroyer and Joshan missile-launcher warship gave berth at Port of Baku amid warm welcome on Wednesday.
- 2,000-pound munitions used in Iran drills Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- The Iranian Air Force has used 2,000-pound laser-guided munitions and precision-guided missiles against mock targets on the last day of a major aerial drill in central Iran.
- Leader urges authorities not to back down against US Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has called on Iranian authorities not to back down in the face of the United States' ever-increasing demands.
- Iran sentences 6 US spies to 10 years in jail Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Six Iranian nationals have been sentenced to 10 years in prison each over charges of espionage and collaboration with the US government.
- Salehi: Design of Arak reactor worked out IRNA 18 Oct 2016 -- Vice-President and head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Ali Akbar Salehi said on Tuesday that major part of design of Arak nuclear reactor has been worked out and only the heart remained to be installed.
- Third report on JCPOA presented to Majlis commission: Lawmaker IRNA 18 Oct 2016 -- A senior Iranian lawmaker said here on Tuesday that Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi has presented the third report to National Security and Foreign Policy Commission regarding the nuclear deal known as Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iran, China discuss rebuilding Arak heavy-water reactor ISNA 18 Oct 2016 -- Spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi has announced that the head of the organization Ali Akbar Salehi would head to Poland to discuss mutual ties.
- Iran Air Force conducts e-warfare drills Press TV 18 Oct 2016 -- Iran's Air Force has successfully conducted electronic warfare as part of large-scale three-day military drills in the central province of Isfahan.
- Iran vows support for Iraq terror fight amid Mosul offensive Press TV 17 Oct 2016 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman says the Islamic Republic supports the Iraqi government in its fight against terrorism amid an offensive to drive out Daesh terrorists from Iraq's northern city of Mosul.
- Iranian flotilla leaves for Port of Baku for the first time IRNA 16 Oct 2016 -- An Iranian flotilla carrying the message of peace and friendship left here Sunday for Port of Baku in the Republic of Azerbaijan.
- Iran Air Force to hold massive drills in central province Press TV 16 Oct 2016 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran's Air Force (IRIAF) is to hold massive three-day maneuvers in the central province of Isfahan.
- Iran's Navy fleet sets sail for Azerbaijan's Baku: Official Press TV 16 Oct 2016 -- A senior Iranian Navy official says a fleet, comprising a domestically-built destroyer and a missile-launching warship, has departed for Azerbaijan's port city of Baku on the Caspian Sea coast.
- Rafsanjani cautions against US-Russia escalation on Syria IRNA 15 Oct 2016 -- Expediency Council Chairman Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said on Saturday that trans-regional powers must stop intervention in the humanitarian crisis in Syria and put an end to the plight of the Syrian people.
- Iran FM holds separate talks on Syria with Iraq, Russia counterparts in Lausanne Press TV 15 Oct 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has held separate talks with his Iraqi and Russian counterparts in the Swiss lakeside city of Lausanne about a solution to the crisis in Syria.
- Iranian Navy fleet due in Azerbaijan to carry message of friendship IRNA 15 Oct 2016 -- An Iranian Navy fleet comprised of Damavand destroyer and Joshan missile-launching warship will depart Iran's territorial waters in the Caspian Sea for Azerbaijan Republic on Sunday to carry message of friendship to the littoral states of the Caspian Sea.
- Araqchi rebukes western parties to JCPOA for procrastination IRNA 15 Oct 2016 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi on Saturday rebuked the western parties to Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action for procrastination to carry out the nuclear deal.
- Iran Foreign Ministry categorically rejects GCC, Turkey allegations Press TV 15 Oct 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry has vehemently rejected allegations leveled in a joint statement by the foreign ministers of the GCC, the [Persian] Gulf Cooperation Council, and Turkey against the Islamic Republic. "Countries whose irresponsible interference in [the affairs of] other states has led to the spread of insecurity, war and terrorism and who have violated the national sovereignty of their neighbors are not in a position to advise others not to interfere in regional affairs," the Iranian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Saturday.
- Iran Deploys 2 Warships in Yemen's Waters to Protect Naval Routes Sputnik 13 Oct 2016 -- Iran sent on Thursday two warships to the waters of Yemen to ensure safety of merchant ships' navigation from pirate attacks, media reported.
- Iran Disrupts IS Plot to Bomb Religious Commemorations, State Media Says VOA 13 Oct 2016 -- Iran has disrupted an Islamic State bombing plot targeting the Shi'ite religious commemoration of Ashoura, according to state media reports on Thursday.
- Russia says fulfilled delivery of S-300 missile systems to Iran Press TV 13 Oct 2016 -- Moscow has reportedly concluded the supply of the Russian-made S-300 surface-to-air missile defense systems to Iran.
- Iran, Russia must boost strategic ties on Syria: Leader's advisor Press TV 11 Oct 2016 -- A senior advisor to Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says Iran and Russia must strengthen their strategic cooperation on regional and international issues, especially the ongoing crisis in Syria.
- IRGC disbands terrorist gang in northwestern Iran Press TV 11 Oct 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has stymied an attempt by a team of counter-revolutionary terrorists to infiltrate the country via its northwestern province of Kurdestan.
- Iran president raps 'utterly deplorable' conditions in Saudi-wrecked Yemen Press TV 10 Oct 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has condemned the ongoing Saudi military aggression against Yemen, saying the Yemeni people are going through "utterly deplorable" times.
- Saudi Arabia, allies no match for Iran on battlefield: Commander Press TV 10 Oct 2016 -- Iran's chief Armed Forces spokesman says Saudi Arabia and its allies are too weak to engage in a military confrontation with the Islamic Republic.
- Iran might prevents Daesh war from spreading to Persian Gulf: IRGC Navy Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- The second-in-command of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy says the country's might, capability, wisdom and self-restraint have barred supporters of Daesh terrorists from spreading war to the Persian Gulf.
- US root cause of mischief in Persian Gulf: Iran commander Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- A senior commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the United States is not authorized to interfere in the affairs of West Asia and the Persian Gulf, stressing that Washington is the root cause of mischief in the region.
- Iran: EU document positive but partly unrealistic Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- Iran has cautiously welcomed an EU resolution on the future of the bloc's relations with Tehran but said the document also contains some "unrealistic points" about the country.
- US eases more sanctions against Iran after nuclear deal Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- The United States has announced new measures further easing sanctions on Iran following last year's landmark nuclear agreement.
- Small failures in JCPOA implementation can create big issues: IAEA chief Press TV 07 Oct 2016 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says the implementation of last year's landmark nuclear agreement between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries is still "fragile," warning that small failures in the process can have grave consequences.
- Tehran Issues Stern Warning as Saudis Launch Persian Gulf War Games Sputnik 07 Oct 2016 -- As Riyadh conducts military drills in the Persian Gulf, Iran's Revolutionary Guards have called the exercises an unnecessary provocation that risks escalating tensions in the region.
- IRGC commander: No country dares to attack Iran IRNA 06 Oct 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari underlined the Iranian Armed Forces' readiness to defend the country against the foreign enemies.
- IRGC Cmdr: Raising deterrence power a duty for all IRNA 06 Oct 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy force General Ali Fadavi said on Wednesday that increasing the power of deterrence is a duty for all in the present critical situation.
- Iran interested in cooperating with NASA ISNA 05 Oct 2016 -- Head of the Iranian space agency Mohsen Bahrami said Iran is interested and ready to cooperate with NASA.
- IRGC warns Saudi Navy to keep off Iran waters Press TV 05 Oct 2016 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has issued a stern warning to all military vessels partaking in Saudi Arabia's ongoing wargames in the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman and the Strait of Hormuz, noting that any act of transgression into Iran's territorial waters shall be met with an immediate and befitting response.
- Velayati rules out Iranian involvement in any conflict abroad IRNA 05 Oct 2016 -- Head of the Strategic Research Center of the Expediency Council Ali-Akbar Velayati said on Wednesday that the Islamic Republic of Iran is not directly involved in any conflict in other countries.
- Iran to develop 4 oil fields based on new contract model IRNA 05 Oct 2016 -- Iran is to develop four of its oil fields using models based on new oil contracts (IPC). This is the first time the Iranian Petroleum Ministry is using the IPC for its projects.
- IRGC busts terror group backed by US, Israel in western Iran Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) forces have dismantled a terrorist group, backed by the United States and the Israeli regime, in the country's west near the border with Iraq, killing all of its members.
- Iran Agrees On New Model Energy Contract, Hopes To Boost Foreign Investment RFE/RL 04 Oct 2016 -- Iran's state oil producer, National Iranian Oil Co. (NIOC), has signed a new model investment contract with an Iranian firm.
- Iran Touts New Combat Drone 5 Years After Capturing US Prototype VOA 01 Oct 2016 -- Iranian news reports say Tehran has built a new aerial attack drone similar to a U.S. military aerial vehicle captured five years ago after it entered Iranian airspace from the country's eastern border with Afghanistan.
- AEOI chief: JCPOA Iran's superior diplomacy tool IRNA 02 Oct 2016 -- Vice-President and Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi underlined that the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) was Iran's upper-hand in the field of diplomacy.
- UN atomic agency chief says Iran sticking to nuclear deal IRNA 02 Oct 2016 -- Iran has kept to a nuclear deal it agreed with six world powers last year limiting its enriched Uranium, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) told French daily Le Monde.
- Defense Minister: Iran's role decisive in regional equations IRNA 01 Oct 2016 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran ranks among independent and powerful countries in the world, Iran's defense minister says.
- Shamkhani: Drones account for significant part of Iran deterrent power IRNA 01 Oct 2016 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani said on Saturday that drones - unmanned aerial vehicles - are significant part of Iran's deterrent power along with missiles.
- Iran, Pakistan kick off joint naval exercise IRNA 01 Oct 2016 -- Iranian and Pakistani naval forces on Saturday evening started a joint naval exercise in the Pakistani territorial waters near the port of Karachi.
- Iran JCPOA commitments carried out to the letter: IAEA Press TV 01 Oct 2016 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says that Iran has carried out its commitments to the historic nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action
- No country can set conditions for 'independent' Iran: Zarif Press TV 01 Oct 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says no foreign state can impose conditions on an "independent" country like Iran.
- Iran, Pakistan hold joint naval exercise in waters off Karachi coast Press TV 01 Oct 2016 -- The 43rd flotilla of the Iranian Navy has participated in a joint relief and rescue drill with Pakistani naval forces in waters off the port city of Karachi.
- Iran's IRGC unveils new combat drone Press TV 01 Oct 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has unveiled the recently-manufactured combat unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) called Saeqeh (thunderbolt).
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list