Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2000 - Iran Special Weapons News
- IRAN / PARLIAMENT Voice of America 30 May 2000 -- The new Iranian parliament has chosen Muslim cleric Mehdi Karroubi as its temporary speaker, a former hard-liner is said to be close to President Mohammed Khatami.
- RFE/RL Iran Report, Volume 3, Number 21 Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty 29 May 2000 -- RAFSANJANI WITHDRAWS / TEHRAN BALLOT ISSUE STILL FESTERS / NEW PAPER CLOSED ON OPENING / HAJJARIAN GUNMEN CONVICTED / ESPIONAGE TRIAL CONTINUES / IRAN'S ANTI-NARCOTICS EFFORT FACES OBSTACLES / IRAN WELCOMES ISRAELI WITHDRAWAL...
- IRAN/PARLIAMENT Voice of America 27 May 2000 -- Iran's first reformist-dominated parliament in 20 years has convened in Tehran.
- GORE-IRAN-MIDEAST Voice of America 23 May 2000 -- Vice President Al Gore - in an address
(Tuesday) to the pro-Israel lobbying group " AIPAC" has condemned Iran's espionage trial of 13 Iranian Jews in Shiraz as a "complete mockery of justice."
- IRAN PARLIAMENT / GUARDIAN COUNCIL Voice of America 23 May 2000 -- Reformists will control Iran's 290-member legislature, the majlis, for the first time since the 1979 Islamic revolution.
- RFE/RL Iran Report, Volume 3, Number 20 Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty 22 May 2000 -- TEHRAN RECOUNT HALTED / AMID CLOSURES, NEW PAPERS TO APPEAR / JEWS MAY BE EXECUTED / WORLD BANK APPROVES LOANS TO IRAN / IRANIAN ROLE IN NEW PIPELINES / TEHRAN AND GUUAM
- IRAN/ELECTIONS Voice of America 20 May 2000 -- Iran's conservative Guardian Council has endorsed the results of February elections in Tehran, certifying a sweep by moderates of 26 out of 30 parliamentary seats.
- TURKEY / IRAN Voice of America 17 May 2000 -- Turkish Prime Minister Bulent Ecevit has accused Iran of failing to respond to evidence of Iranian involvement in the murders of Turkish pro-secular writers and academics.
- IRAN / SPY TRIAL Voice of America 17 May 2000 -- So far, eight of the 13 Jews on trial have admitted to charges of spying for Israel.
- RFE/RL Iran Report, Volume 3, Number 19 Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty 15 May 2000 -- DISAGREEMENTS ON TEHRAN ELECTION RESULTS CONTINUE / KHAMENEI CALLS FOR UNITY AND REFORM / MORE CONFESSIONS IN ESPIONAGE TRIAL / MORE COMPLICATIONS IN RELATIONS WITH TURKEY / ARAB NATIONALISM RESURFACES -- ON THE INTERNET / WEBSURFING IN IRAN
- IRAN / JEWS Voice of America 15 May 2000 -- Eight of the 13 Jews on trial in Iran have now pleaded guilty to charges they spied for Israel.
- IRAN / JEWS / TRIAL Voice of America 10 May 2000 -- The latest session of the trial of 13 Jews accused of spying in Iran concluded with another confession of guilt.
- IRAN / ELECTIONS Voice of America 08 May 2000 -- Iran's official news agency says the country's conservative Council of Guardians will not void parliamentary election results for Tehran.
- IRAN/JEWS Voice of America 08 May 2000 -- Two more Jews have confessed to spying for Israel in the southern Iranian city of Shiraz. Five of the 13 Jews on trial have confessed to spying.
- POST-ELECTION IRAN Voice of America 08 May 2000 -- Reformers have won two-thirds of sixty-six parliamentary seats in Iran's runoff elections. That gives them more than two hundred seats out of two hundred ninety.
- RFE/RL Iran Report, Volume 3, Number 18 Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty 8 May 2000 -- REFORMISTS DOMINATE SECOND ROUND / TRUE CONFESSIONS OR TRUE LIES? / WORLD PRESS FREEDOM DAY / STATE BROADCASTING MANIPULATES OPINION / IRAN IS 'MOST ACTIVE' TERRORISM SPONSOR / MUJAHEDIN PROVE A POINT / MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING
- Iran: Reformers Win Parliamentary Run-Off, 'Clear Vote But Not Last Word' Issue Focus - Foreign Media Reaction 08 May 2000 -- Iran watchers, noting the clear victory of reformers in Friday's run-off ballot for Iran's parliament--confirming their earlier win in February's general election--concluded that the nation is on the brink of "a social explosion." "Never before...has Iran looked farther from the winter of 1979, when the Shah's escape opened the doors to the Imam's revolution," an Italian daily judged.
- IRAN ELECTION Voice of America 06 May 2000 -- Preliminary results indicate that reformist candidates have swept run-off parliamentary elections in Iran, capturing two-thirds of 66 disputed seats.
- IRAN VOTE / POLL Voice of America 05 May 2000 -- Iranians voted today (Friday) in a second
round of parliamentary elections. Reformers were hoping to build on February's landslide victory.
- IRAN / ELECTIONS Voice of America 04 May 2000 -- Iran is holding a second round of elections (today/Friday) to fill 66 of the 290 seats in its new Parliament. Reformers are still short of the two-thirds majority they need to convene the new Parliament.
- IRAN TRIAL Voice of America 03 May 2000 -- Three of the 13 Iranian Jews accused of spying have reportedly admitted they had links with Israel's intelligence agency.
- IRAN / JEWS Voice of America 01 May 2000 -- One of 13 Iranian Jews on trial for espionage has told Iran's state-run television that he did spy for Israel.
- Excerpts: RFE Report on Iran's Press Crackdown 01 May 2000 -- Advocates of a free press around the world are watching developments in Iran as they recognize World Press Freedom Day.
- RFE/RL Iran Report, Volume 3, Number 17 Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty 1 May 2000 -- EVER MORE PUBLICATIONS CLOSED DOWN / WORLD CONCERNED BY IRANIAN PRESS REPRESSION / COUP RUMORS REJECTED / HAJJARIAN TRIAL COMMENCES... / ...AND SERIAL MURDERS INVESTIGATION CONTINUES / POLL RECOUNTS CONTINUE AS SECOND ROUND LOOMS / 'THE GUTS TO TRY.' / TEHRAN WANTS MONEY FOR INTERCEPTING IRAQI OIL / TEHRAN COMPLAINS ABOUT ACCESS TO NUKE TECHNOLOGY / RUSSIAN REPRIMANDED FOR REARING ROCKETEERS
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list