Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2015 Germany Special Weapons News
- Berlin to Deploy 4 Additional Tornado Surveillance Aircraft in Turkey Sputnik 29 Dec 2015 -- Four additional German Tornado surveillance aircraft will be deployed for an anti-terror operation in Syria starting from January 5, a German air force spokesperson said Tuesday.
- German Boeing E-3 Deployment in Turkey Limited to Airspace Protection Sputnik 28 Dec 2015 -- The objectives of German Boeing E-3 reconnaissance aircraft due to be sent to Turkey, will not go beyond the protection of the local airspace, the German Foreign Ministry's spokesman said Monday.
- German FM calls for establishment of one army for all EU Press TV 28 Dec 2015 -- German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schäuble says the EU requires one common army instead of 28 separate ones to tackle domestic and foreign security threats.
- What Is NATO for? German Minister Backs Creation of Single European Army Sputnik 28 Dec 2015 -- Taking into account the current refugee crisis, German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schäuble called for an increase in spending on European military operations and the establishment of a common European army.
- Germany to send troops to Turkey under NATO flag Press TV 27 Dec 2015 -- Germany says it is set to deploy troops to Turkey aboard aircraft operated by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) in support of Ankara, a member state, amid the crisis in Syria.
- NATO to Deploy Airborne Warning Aircraft in Turkey - Reports Sputnik 27 Dec 2015 -- NATO will place the Boeing E-3 Sentry airborne early warning and control aircraft in Turkey as part of its air defense package to the country amid the Syrian crisis, media reported.
- Good Riddance: Germany Withdraws Patriot Missiles From Turkey Sputnik 23 Dec 2015 -- Germany has moved its Patriot air-defense systems out of Turkey as its military mission in the country expires next month.
- German Armed Forces Take Part in First Mission in Syria Sputnik 16 Dec 2015 -- On late Tuesday and early Wednesday, Germany's Airbus A310 aerial refueling jet twice provided in-flight refueling to fighter jets conducting airstrikes against Daesh terrorist positions, according to German media.
- Germany may shift to direct combat in Syria: Vice chancellor Press TV 11 Dec 2015 -- The German vice-chancellor Sigmar Gabriel has raised the possibility of Berlin's direct involvement in the so-called fight against Daesh in Syria, saying such scenario would come if current political and military efforts against the Takfiri group fail.
- German fighter jets depart for Syria military mission IRNA 10 Dec 2015 -- German combat jets took off from Germany on Thursday en route to the Syrian military mission, according to German media.
- Germany Chief of Staff Affirms Tornado Jets Ready Ahead of Syria Mission Sputnik 03 Dec 2015 -- The Germany Tornado reconnaissance aircraft to be deployed to conduct airstrikes against Islamic State (IS, or its Arabic name Daesh) in Syria are in a combat worthy condition, Volker Wieker, chief of staff of the Bundeswehr, Germany's armed forces, said Thursday.
- Statement from Secretary Carter on Counter-ISIL Actions by the United Kingdom and Germany DoD 02 Dec 2015
- Germany Shells Out €134 mln to Join Anti-Daesh Coalition Sputnik 30 Nov 2015 -- The German government is preparing to join the fight against Daesh (the Islamic State) and has estimated the cost at €134 mln ($142 mln) in 2016; German political scientist Alexander Rahr told Sputnik that Germany wants to show solidarity with neighboring France after the Paris terror attacks.
- Germany to send 1,200 troops to join anti-Daesh battle in Syria Press TV 29 Nov 2015 -- Germany plans to deploy 1,200 troops to support a naval frigate as well as reconnaissance and refueling aircraft, which it has pledged to send to the battle against Daesh terrorists in Syria.
- German Air Force Involvement in Anti-ISIL Operations in Syria is Risky Sputnik 27 Nov 2015 -- Berlin acknowledges that the participation in the anti-terror fight in Syria poses a risk, the German defense minister said.
- Germany Considers Extending Afghanistan Troop Deployment for One Year Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- With a possible boost from 850 to 980 personnel, the non-combat mission advising Afghanistan's national security force could stay until the end of 2016, Der Spiegel magazine reported.
- Germany spied on FBI, US arms companies: Report Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- Germany's foreign intelligence service (BND) has been accused of spying on a long list of targets including friendly nations and agencies, including the FBI, US arms companies, and UN Children's Fund.
- German Bundestag Committee Unable to Fully Supervise Intelligence Agency Sputnik 11 Nov 2015 -- The German parliamentary oversight committee (PKG) is not capable of supervising the BND, the country's intelligence agency, on a full scale, committee head Andre Hahn said Wednesday.
- German Intelligence Spied on Own Diplomat, French Foreign Minister Sputnik 11 Nov 2015 -- The German intelligence agency (BND) has been spying on Hansjorg Haber, a German diplomat and head of the EU Delegation to Turkey, in a possible breach of the country's constitution, local media reported Wednesday.
- German secret service BND systematically spied on allies: Report Press TV 07 Nov 2015 -- Germany's secret service has "systematically spied" on the country's allies and other international organizations, a report says.
- Germany's Spy Program Revealed as Much Bigger Than Anyone Thought Sputnik 07 Nov 2015 -- Recently emerged reports reveal that Germany's foreign intelligence agency, the BND, had systematically spied on friends and allies around the world to a much greater extent than previously reported on, and on its own accord, not simply at the request of the NSA, according to Der Spiegel magazine.
- German Intelligence Deletes NSA Spying Lists 'By Mistake' Sputnik 24 Sep 2015 -- The German Intelligence agency BND deleted the lists of the US National Security Agency's (NSA) surveillance targets in Europe, reportedly by mistake, despite an order not to do so imposed by an investigative parliamentary commission, Die Zeit newspaper reported on Thursday, citing a German intelligence official.
- Germany Can Deploy Armed Forces Abroad Without Parliament's Approval Sputnik 24 Sep 2015 -- The Federal Constitutional Court of Germany ruled that in urgent cases the German government can conduct deployment of armed forces abroad without pre-approval of the German Bundestag.
- From Leopards to Panzers: German Tank Division Swallows Dutch Mech Brigade Sputnik 21 Sep 2015 -- The Royal Netherlands Army brigade will soon be part of the German Bundeswehr's 1st Panzer Division, according to the two countries' Defense Ministers.
- Bundeswehr Suffers Military Equipment Deficit, Borrows Tanks Sputnik 09 Aug 2015 -- Military equipment deficiencies in the German Bundeswehr seem to be worse than previously reported, the German newspaper Das Bild wrote.
- German, French Arms Enterprises Unite to Create New Weapons Giant Sputnik 29 Jul 2015 -- German company Krauss-Maffei Wegmann and French enterprise Nexter Systems are planning to make a merger deal and create a new weapons giant called Newco, the German newspaper Die Zeit reported.
- Assange Offers to Release Unredacted List of German NSA Spy Targets Sputnik 17 Jul 2015 -- WikiLeaks posted a trove of redacted NSA spying lists; Assange claims he has full copies of these lists and would share them with German lawmakers.
- Germany's Bundeswehr Receives First New Generation Puma Armored Vehicles Sputnik 24 Jun 2015 -- Germany's unified armed forces received its first production of Puma armored infantry fighting vehicles (AIFV) on Tuesday during a ceremony at the Unterluss Proving Ground.
- German Army 30 Percent Underarmed – Bundeswehr Inspector Sputnik 22 Jun 2015 -- The German armed forces are 30 percent underequipped and will need years to bring their lacking arsenals up to speed, Lt. General Bruno Kasdorf, Inspector of the German Army, warned in a radio interview on Sunday.
- US Denies German Soldiers Vital Military Equipment - German Media Sputnik 03 Jun 2015 -- The United States reportedly is denying German soldiers important reconnaissance equipment to protect them from attacks from Islamic State in Iraq, according to the German newspaper Bild.
- Germany, France to Develop New Battle Tank to Catch Up With Russia's Armata Sputnik 23 May 2015 -- Germany and France are now preparing to jointly develop a new main battle tank, the Leopard 3, to replace its ageing Leopard 2 military vehicle by around 2030, which would be able to compete with Russia's next-generation Armata tank, recently showcased at the Victory Day parade commemorating the end of World War Two in Moscow.
- German Spy Chief Admits NSA Was Allowed to Ride Roughshod for Years Sputnik 22 May 2015 -- BND Chief Gerhard Schindler told a parliamentary enquiry on Thursday that Germany's dependence on the NSA led to a series of errors on the part of the BND, allowing the NSA to spy on European officials and commercial organizations.
- NATO Pressure Sparking Calls to Beef Up German Bundeswehr Sputnik 22 May 2015 -- Germany's new commissioner for the armed forces has called for the government to increase spending on the German army, saying that a reduction in the Bundeswehr's capabilities would 'annoy' other European countries, amid increasing pressure to meet NATO spending targets.
- German Defense Ministry May Have Manipulated G36 Rifles Report Sputnik 13 May 2015 -- The G36 assault rifle has been part of the standard equipment of German soldiers since 1996, but a number of serious shortcomings have been recently revealed.
- Germany undersells 4 modern warships to Israel Press TV 11 May 2015 -- The German government has once again funded Israel's military by subsidizing the sale of four modern corvette warships to the Tel Aviv regime.
- Israel to Buy Four Navy Patrol Vessels From Germany Sputnik 11 May 2015 -- The corvettes will secure Israel's Exclusive Economic Zone in the Mediterranean. They will be used in conjunction with other vessels, including naval unmanned surface vehicles, intelligence drones and other weaponry and military equipment.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list