Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2012 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- UN Chief Considering North Korea Visit VOA 30 Oct 2012 -- U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says he would consider a trip to North Korea as part of his efforts toward peace on the Korean peninsula.
- Speculation Abounds As Kim Jong Un's Wife Reappears VOA 30 Oct 2012 -- The public is getting another glimpse of the wife of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, after speculation about why she had not been seen for some time.
- Rodong Sinmun on Efforts of S. Korean Authorities to Preserve NLL KCNA 29 Oct 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun in terms the efforts of the south Korean authorities to preserve the "northern limit line" a brigandish move with no justification.
- Statues of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il Erected at Kim Il Sung Military University KCNA 29 Oct 2012 -- The statues of Generalissimos Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il were erected at Kim Il Sung Military University on the occasion of its 60th birthday.
- Kim Jong Un Has Photo Session with Teachers, Employees of Kim Il Sung Military University KCNA 29 Oct 2012 -- Marshal Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea, first chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, congratulated the staff of Kim Il Sung Military University and had a photo taken with them on the 60th anniversary of the university.
- Postgraduate Research Institute of Kim Il Sung Military University Renamed after Kim Jong Il KCNA 29 Oct 2012 -- The Postgraduate Research Institute of Kim Il Sung Military University was renamed Kim Jong Il Military Postgraduate Research Institute on the occasion of its 60th birthday.
- Rodong Sinmun on Psychological Warfare of S. Korea KCNA 28 Oct 2012 -- The psychological warfare resorted to south Korea is a revelation of its ambition of "unification of social systems".
- Banquet Given to Mark 60th Anniversary of Kim Il Sung Military University KCNA 28 Oct 2012 -- A banquet was given at the People's Palace of Culture on Sunday, the 60th anniversary of Kim Il Sung Military University.
- Kim Il Sung Military University Greets Diamond Jubilee KCNA 28 Oct 2012 -- Kim Il Sung Military University greets its 60th birthday Sunday.
- Title of DPRK Hero Awarded to Two People's Security Men KCNA 27 Oct 2012 -- The title of DPRK hero was awarded to Kim Kum Su and Han Pyong Nam, people's security men of the Kangwon Provincial People's Security Bureau, who laid down their lives without hesitation to save their revolutionary comrades.
- Project of DPRK-China Office Building Starts in Rason KCNA 26 Oct 2012 -- A ceremony took place in Rason City of the DPRK to start a project of office building for the Rason Economic and Trade Zone Management Committee Jointly Developed and Operated by the DPRK and China.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman on US Special Representative's Remarks KCNA 25 Oct 2012 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer as regards invectives made by U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Policy Glyn Davis.
- N. Korean Supreme People’s Council speaker asks for broader ties with Iran IRNA 25 Oct 2012 -- North Korean Supreme People’s Council Speaker Kim Yong Nam asked here Wednesday for broader ties with Iran.
- N. Korean Army General Executed with Mortar for Drinking RIA Novosti 25 Oct 2012 -- A high-ranking North Korean Army official was reportedly executed with a mortar round for drinking liquor during the 100-day mourning period after Kim Jong-il's death.
- Anniversary of CPV's Entry into Korean Front Marked KCNA 25 Oct 2012 -- DPRK newspapers Thursday dedicate articles to the 62nd anniversary of the Chinese People's Volunteers' entry into the Korean front.
- United States - Republic of Korea Security Consultative Meeting DoD 24 Oct 2012
- Joint Press Conference with Secretary Panetta and Defense Minister Kim in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 24 Oct 2012
- Defense Leaders: North Korea Remains Threat to Peace AFPS 24 Oct 2012 -- North Korea remains a threat to regional and global peace, U.S. and South Korean defense leaders said here today, adding that they still are unsure what North Korea’s new leader, Kim Jong Un, will do.
- Officials Say US Still Wary of North Korea VOA 24 Oct 2012 -- The United States and South Korea say North Korea remains a "serious threat" despite its failure to make good on recent threats to launch a military strike.
- Panetta: U.S., South Korea Strengthen Alliance AFPS 24 Oct 2012 -- U.S. and South Korean militaries will continue their close cooperation against wide-ranging global security challenges and strengthen their cooperation in space and cyberspace, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said.
- Order of Kim Jong Il Awarded to Kim Il Sung Military University KCNA 24 Oct 2012 -- Order of Kim Jong Il was conferred on Kim Il Sung Military University on the occasion of its diamond jubilee.
- No Force on Earth Can Break Sino-Korean Friendship: Chinese Party Official KCNA 24 Oct 2012 -- Li Shumin, who is heading the visiting delegation of the Dandong Municipal Committee, Liaoning Province of the Community Party of China, was interviewed.
- Cemetery of CPV Martyrs Renovated KCNA 24 Oct 2012 -- The cemetery of fallen fighters of the Chinese People's Volunteers in Hoechang County, South Phyongan Province, has been renovated on the occasion of the 62nd anniversary of the CPV entry into the Korean front.
- United States - Republic of Korea Military Committee Meeting DoD 23 Oct 2012
- U.S. Korea Commander Details Conditions on Peninsula AFPS 23 Oct 2012 -- Nowhere in the world is the disparity between freedom and oppression more apparent than on the Korean peninsula, the commander of U.S. and United Nations forces in Korea said.
- Defying Police, N. Korean Defectors Launch Balloons VOA 22 Oct 2012 -- A group of North Korean defectors have launched balloons carrying 120,000 propaganda leaflets toward their former homeland.
- There Exists Only Maritime Military Demarcation Line Set by DPRK KCNA 20 Oct 2012 -- A spokesman for the Policy Department of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK gave the following answer to the question put by KCNA.
- KCNA on Lee Myung Bak and NLL KCNA 20 Oct 2012 -- A spokesman for the Institute for Disarmament and Peace of the DPRK Foreign Ministry Saturday released the following statement.
- KCNA on Lee Myung Bak’s Visit to Yonphyong Island KCNA 20 Oct 2012 -- Lee Myung Bak on Oct. 18 appeared on Yonphyong Island and inspected the army unit there for the first time after he took office.
- Koreas Trade Threats Over Propaganda Balloons VOA 19 Oct 2012 -- The two Koreas are exchanging threats ahead of a planned launch of balloons in the South Monday to send leaflets to the North.
- N.Korea Threatens to Strike South over Leaflets RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2012 -- North Korea has threatened a military response if South Korean activists air-drop anti-North propaganda leaflets over its territory.
- KPA Western Front Command Notifies S. Korea of Possible Physical Strike at Location of Scattering Leaflets KCNA 19 Oct 2012 -- The Western Front Command of the Korean People's Army released the following notice.
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korea's "Missile Guidance Agreement" Declaration KCNA 19 Oct 2012 -- The "missile guidance agreement" announced by the south Korean authorities is an open declaration of an all-out war against the DPRK.
- Ulterior Aims of S. Korean Authorities Laid Bare KCNA 19 Oct 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun on Friday in a bylined article discloses the ulterior aims sought by the south Korean authorities in spreading the fiction about "provocation from the north".
- N. Korean Defections Raise Questions about Security, Loyalty VOA 18 Oct 2012 -- Three defections across the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone separating North and South Korea are raising questions about the global flashpoint.
- Kim Jong Il's Grandson Steps Into The Spotlight RFE/RL 18 Oct 2012 -- Kim Han Sol, the 17-year-old grandson of late North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, has given his first extensive TV interview to Elisabeth Rehn for a Finnish television channel.
- North Korean official's visit to Taiwan not official: ministry CNA 17 Oct 2012 -- Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said a North Korean official's recent trip to Taiwan was to promote tourism and was not an official visit.
- Rodong Sinmun on Remarks of Chairman of S. Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff KCNA 16 Oct 2012 -- Jong Sung Jo, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of south Korea said south Korea may mount a swift preemptive attack on the north when a sign of its nuclear use is captured.
- Kim Jong Un Has Photo Session with Participants in Meeting Marking 65th Birthday of Revolutionary Schools KCNA 14 Oct 2012 -- Kim Jong Un had a photo session with the participants in the meeting for celebrating the 65th anniversary of Mangyongdae Revolutionary School and Kang Pan Sok Revolutionary School.
- Kim Jong Un Enjoys Moranbong Band Performance KCNA 11 Oct 2012 -- The Moranbong Band gave a performance 'Song in Praise of Guiding Party' here on Wednesday on the 67th anniversary of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Rodong Sinmun Observes Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Work KCNA 11 Oct 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun Thursday dedicates a bylined article to the 20th anniversary of the famous work of General Secretary Kim Jong Il 'On the Fundamentals of Revolutionary Party Building' published on Oct. 10, 1992.
- Kim Jong Un Visits Kumsusan Palace of Sun KCNA 10 Oct 2012 -- Marshal Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea, first chairman of the DPRK National Defence Commission and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, visited the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun at 00:00 on Oct. 10 on the occasion of the 67th anniversary of the WPK together with members of the WPK Central Military Commission and NDC and staff members of the KPA Supreme Command to pay a high tribute to the great Generalissimos Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il.
- Senior Party and State Officials Visit Kumsusan Palace of Sun KCNA 10 Oct 2012 -- Kim Yong Nam, Choe Yong Rim and other senior party and state officials, the chairperson of a friendly party and officials of the party, armed forces and power bodies, working people's organizations, ministries and national institutions Wednesday visited the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun to pay tribute to Generalissimos Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il on the 67th anniversary of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- DPRK FM Denounces U.S. for Sparking New Missile Arms Race in Northeast Asia KCNA 10 Oct 2012 -- A spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the DPRK Wednesday issued a statement denouncing the U.S. for opening the way for south Korea to develop missiles capable of reaching any part of the DPRK.
- Floral Baskets to Statues of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il KCNA 10 Oct 2012 -- Servicepersons and people across the DPRK visited the statues of President Kim Il Sung and General Secretary Kim Jong Il in boundless reverence for them in their residing areas on the 67th anniversary of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Korean People Owe All Their Achievements to WPK Leadership KCNA 10 Oct 2012 -- The Korean people are greeting the 67th anniversary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) on Wednesday.
- Juche Idea, Great Idea Guiding Future of Mankind: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 10 Oct 2012 -- The Juche idea is the great idea guiding future of mankind, Rodong Sinmun Wednesday says in a bylined article.
- DPRK NDC Reiterates Its Stand to Fight It Out against U.S. and S. Korean Regime KCNA 09 Oct 2012 -- A spokesman for the National Defence Commission (NDC) of the DPRK issued the following statement Tuesday:
- Kim Jong Un Sends Reply Messages to Party, State Leaders of Various Countries KCNA 09 Oct 2012 -- Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea, first chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, sent messages to party leaders and heads of state of various countries in reply to their congratulatory messages and letters on the occasion of the 64th anniversary of the DPRK.
- N. Korea Says US Mainland Within Its Strike Range RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2012 -- The North Korean military said on Tuesday that the US mainland was within the strike range of its strategic missile forces, Xinhua reported citing North Korea's official KCNA news agency as saying.
- North Korean Charged in Kim Jong-il Son Plot RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2012 -- South Korean prosecutors have pressed charges against a North Korean national tasked with injuring the eldest son of late North Korean leader Kim Jong-il, reports said on Tuesday.
- New Tourist Itineraries Proposed in DPRK KCNA 08 Oct 2012 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea has offered new tourist itineraries, drawing attention of foreign people.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Advancing along Road of Juche KCNA 08 Oct 2012 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il's election as general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea on October 8, 1997 marked a historic event of great significance in carrying out the cause of building a Juche-oriented party and a thriving nation.
- Rodong Sinmun Underlines Importance of Strengthening International Friendship KCNA 07 Oct 2012 -- The world progressives should promote the development of international friendly and cooperative relations based on the respect for sovereignty and thus make contributions to building an independent and peaceful world, says Rodong Sinmun Sunday in a bylined article.
- National Meeting Marks Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Election as WPK General Secretary KCNA 07 Oct 2012 -- A national meeting took place at the April 25 House of Culture Sunday to mark the 15th anniversary of General Secretary Kim Jong Il's election as general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Kim Jong Un Visits Statue of Generalissimo Kim Jong Il Standing at Ministry of State Security of DPRK KCNA 06 Oct 2012 -- The dear respected Marshal Kim Jong Un visited the statue of the great leader Generalissimo Kim Jong Il standing at the Ministry of State Security of the DPRK.
- Kim Jong Un Goes Round Renovated Mangyongdae Funfair and Taesongsan Funfair KCNA 06 Oct 2012 -- The dear respected Marshal Kim Jong Un went round the Mangyongdae Funfair and the Taesongsan Funfair successfully renovated as required by the era of Songun.
- Choe Ryong Hae Makes Field Survey of Construction Projects Undertaken by KPA KCNA 06 Oct 2012 -- Director of the General Political Bureau of the Korean People's Army Choe Ryong Hae, member of the Presidium of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, made field survey of the construction projects in Pyongyang undertaken by the KPA.
- People's Security University Renamed Kim Jong Il People's Security University KCNA 06 Oct 2012 -- The People's Security University was renamed Kim Jong Il People's Security University.
- Kim Jong Il's Feats for Party Building KCNA 06 Oct 2012 -- October 8 is the day when General Secretary Kim Jong Il was elected general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- N. Korean Soldier Kills 2 Before Defecting to South VOA 06 Oct 2012 -- A South Korean official says a North Korean soldier has defected to the South after killing two officers.
- KPA Servicepersons Determined to Implement Supreme Commander's Order KCNA 05 Oct 2012 -- Servicepersons in the DPRK play the pivotal role in the drive to build an economic power and improve the people's livelihood.
- KCNA Issues Detailed Report on 5th Anniversary of October 4 Declaration KCNA 04 Oct 2012 -- The Korean Central News Agency issued a detailed report "The 5-year-long history of the bedeviled north-south relations says", the 5th anniversary of the historic October 4 declaration.
- DPRK, China Ink MOU on Cooperation in Agriculture KCNA 04 Oct 2012 -- A MOU on cooperation in agriculture was signed between the Ministries of Agriculture of the DPRK and China in Pyongyang.
- Minju Joson on ROK Claim of NNL Violation KCNA 02 Oct 2012 -- The south Korean military said in public on Sept. 26 that a fishing boat of the DPRK crossed the "northern limit line" at about 9:30 p.m. the previous day.
- Statue of Generalissimo Kim Jong Il Erected at KPA Unit KCNA 02 Oct 2012 -- A statue of the great leader Generalissimo Kim Jong Il was erected at Unit 10215 of the Korean People's Army.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Learning from Work Style of Officials in 1970s KCNA 02 Oct 2012 -- If officials are to creditably fulfill their missions and roles as commanding personnel of the revolution at present, they should learn from the ideological and moral traits of the officials during the period of laying down the Party's foundation for carrying forward the cause of Juche in the 1970s.
- Kim Jong Un Greets Chinese Party, State Leaders KCNA 01 Oct 2012 -- Kim Jong Un together with Kim Yong Nam and Choe Yong Rim, sent a message of greeting to Hu Jintao, Wu Bangguo, and Wen Jiabao.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list