Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 July 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nepal to jointly fight COVID-19 People's Daily 28 Jul 2020 -- China, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nepal on Monday agreed to work together to fight COVID-19 and resume economy.
- Beijing locks down community with new COVID-19 case, rolls out testing for 7,000 households Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- Beijing locked down the community where a new COVID-19 patient was reported on Tuesday, breaking the city's 21-day run of zero infections. The community lifted its epidemic response from Level-III to Level-II and rolled out full testing for all 7,000 households, starting from 5 am on Tuesday.
- China's daily new COVID-19 cases hit 3-month high Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- The Chinese mainland recorded 68 new COVID-19 cases on Monday, marking the highest daily figure in three months, with numbers of infections in two virus clusters, Northeast China's Liaoning Province and Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region continuing to surge, propelling fears of a new wave of pandemic.
- Beijing reports two COVID-19 cases, breaking 20-day run of zero infections Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- Beijing on Tuesday announced two new COVID-19 infections - one from Indonesia, and the other from the Chinese city of Dalian, after 20 consecutive days of zero infections.
- Fuzhou in 'wartime mode' after discovery of COVID-19 case from Dalian Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- Fuzhou, capital city of East China's Fujian Province, announced it was entering "wartime mode" after the discovery of an asymptomatic COVID-19 patient from Dalian, where a recent cluster of infections was found.
- Hong Kong reports 145 new COVID-19 cases, anti-epidemic measures to be tightened People's Daily 28 Jul 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) Monday reported 145 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, hitting a new daily high in Hong Kong.
- Beijing reports 2 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Jul 2020 -- Beijing reported two new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Monday, the municipal health commission said Tuesday.
- NE China city tests 1.25 mln in a day after new COVID-19 cases reported People's Daily 28 Jul 2020 -- A total of 1.68 million people have been sampled for nucleic acid tests in Dalian, northeast China's Liaoning Province, since the city began large-scale testing on Sunday following reports of new COVID-19 cases.
- China's Liaoning reports 6 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Jul 2020 -- China's Liaoning Province reported six new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 68 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Jul 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Tuesday that it received reports of 68 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Monday, including four imported cases and 64 locally-transmitted ones.
- China, India complete troops disengagement in most border locations: FM Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- Chinese and Indian border troops on the frontline have completed disengagement in most locations following close communications between the two sides via military and diplomatic channels, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
- As US, Australia Hang Tough on China, Singapore Seeks Stability Radio Free Asia 28 Jul 2020 -- Singapore's leader on Tuesday appealed for stability in the increasingly tense relationship between the United States and China relations, expressing concern that either the two world powers could clash, or that the U.S. could turn its back on the region.
- China hits back at Australia, defends sovereignty in South China Sea Press TV 28 Jul 2020 -- Beijing has defended its sovereignty and maritime rights in the South China Sea after Australia joined the United States in rejecting China's territorial claims over a disputed group of islands in the strategic waterway, saying its rights have been historically established.
- China receives data from newly-launched mapping satellite Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- Remote sensing satellite ground stations in China have received data from the newly-launched mapping satellite Ziyuan III 03, sources with the Chinese Academy of Sciences said on Monday.
- While China Says No Oil From Iran In June, Three Tankers Arrived In Recent Weeks Radio Farda 28 Jul 2020 -- While the latest customs data from China show no imports of Iranian oil in June, data intelligence firm Kepler told Radio Farda Iran has shipped oil to the Asian economic giant.
- Chinese aircraft carriers get power boost by fighters' nighttime buddy refueling capability Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- China's aircraft carrier-based J-15 fighter jets have now become capable of conducting nighttime buddy refueling, one of the most challenging tactical moves by carrier-borne fighter jets, the PLA Navy revealed after recent successful exercises.
- PLA's first field modular camping and supporting system puts into use PLA Daily 28 Jul 2020 -- Recently, the first modular camping and supporting system, which was piloted by the Joint Logistic Support Force of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), has passed the procedure of evaluation and been officially distributed to the military.
- 205 Chinese peacekeepers depart for Lebanon PLA Daily 28 Jul 2020 -- A total of 205 Chinese peacekeepers Tuesday left Kunming, capital of southwest China's Yunnan Province, for Lebanon on a one-year United Nations peacekeeping mission.
- China's Defence Attache to the UK: PLA unswervingly promotes world peace and development PLA Daily 28 Jul 2020 -- This year marks the 93rd anniversary of the founding of the People's Liberation Army of China. Over the past 93 years, under the leadership of the Chinese Communist Party, the PLA has made its mark in history with splendid achievements.
- Xi renews China's support for multilateralism Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday reiterated China's support for the global multilateral system and commitment to pursue development with the rest of the world in the spirit of openness and mutually-beneficial cooperation, in what Chinese analysts called an apparent rebuttal of a rising tide of unilateralism and anti-globalization amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Xi calls for making AIIB new platform for building community with shared future for mankind PLA Daily 28 Jul 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday called for making the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) a new platform that promotes development for all its members and facilitates the building of a community with a shared future for mankind.
- China to make firm response against outrageous, unreasonable US: FM Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Tuesday said that China will make firm and rational responses against the US whose behaviors are outrageous and unreasonable.
- As China 'will definitely retaliate' military provocation, experts warn US not to escalate tensions Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- The increasing tensions between China and the US, the worsening COVID-19 epidemic situation, as well as the declining approval ratings of US President Donald Trump have raised concerns, among strategists and experts, of a military conflict between the two nuclear-armed powers caused by the dangerous US attempts.
- China will take 'all measures necessary' after 11 Chinese entities added to US entity list: MOFCOM Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- China will take "all measures necessary" to safeguard the legitimate interests of Chinese businesses, the Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) said in response to the US' export restrictions on a list of 11 Chinese entities. The US has damaged the global trade order, MOFCOM said on Tuesday.
- U.S. Consulate General in Chengdu ordered to close People's Daily 28 Jul 2020 -- At 10 a.m. on Monday, as required by China, the U.S. Consulate General in Chengdu was closed. Relevant Chinese authorities then entered through the front entrance and took over the premises, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on its website.
- Beijing Blasts US 'Reckless Provocation of Confrontation' After Consulate Closures Sputnik 28 Jul 2020 -- The US Consulate General in the Chinese city of Chengdu was shut down on 27 July following an order from Beijing, according to the country's Foreign Ministry.
- China Encourages India to Join Forces Against 'Hegemon' US After Pompeo Proposes Coalition Sputnik 28 Jul 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in an address in London last week proposed an international coalition against China. Meanwhile, considering India's border conflict with Beijing, Washington has offered steadfast support and cooperation to New Delhi over the past few weeks.
- NZ should not be hijacked by Five Eyes, observers warn after Wellington suspends extradition treaty with HK Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- New Zealand on Tuesday announced the suspension of its extradition treaty with Hong Kong, the fourth country to do so in the Five Eyes intelligence alliance, but Chinese analysts warned on Tuesday Wellington not to play petty tricks, hoping to show loyalty to the anti-China coalition without damaging bilateral ties with Beijing.
- China reserves right to further respond to NZ suspension of extradition treaty with HKSAR Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- China on Tuesday expressed strong opposition to New Zealand's wrong move of suspending its extradition treaty with the Hong Kong Special Administration Region (HKSAR), which is based on the wrong interpretation of the national security law for Hong Kong, and reserves the right to further respond.
- China decides to suspend HKSAR's extradition treaties with Canada, Australia, UK: FM Global Times 28 Jul 2020 -- China on Tuesday announced the suspension of extradition treaties and agreements on mutual assistance for criminal matters between the Hong Kong Special Administration Region (HKSAR) and Canada, Australia and the UK in response to the three countries' interference in China's domestic affairs.
- EU to limit technology exports to Hong Kong over security law: Sources Press TV 28 Jul 2020 -- The European Union (EU) has decided to restrict the export of technology to Hong Kong that might be used for what the bloc calls surveillance and repression, sources say, after China introduced a uniform national security law in the semi-autonomous city.
- China suspends Hong Kong's extradition treaties with UK, Canada, Australia Press TV 28 Jul 2020 -- China has announced the suspension of extradition treaties between Hong Kong and Canada, Australia, and Britain, in response to similar moves by those countries.
- Hong Kong Mulls Postponing Election Amid Ongoing Crackdown on Dissent Radio Free Asia 28 Jul 2020 -- Amid an ever-widening crackdown on opposition voices and activism in Hong Kong, city leaders met on Tuesday to discuss postponing September's legislative elections, as the University of Hong Kong (HKU) fired a democracy activist and prominent legal scholar for "misconduct."
- Germany to Stop Exporting Weapons, Dual-Use Products to Hong Kong, Foreign Minister Maas Says Sputnik 28 Jul 2020 -- Germany, as part of the European Union's reaction to China's national security law for Hong Kong, will stop exporting weapons and dual-use goods to the region, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said.
- Expelled from China's Communist Party, Tycoon Ren Ziqiang Faces Criminal Prosecution VOA 28 Jul 2020 -- Disappeared for calling China's authoritarian leader Xi Jinping a "clown," Chinese property tycoon Ren Ziqiang has been kicked out of the Communist Party and now faces a criminal investigation that could end with prosecution.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list