Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2011 - China Special Weapons News
- US Ambassador Decries Chinese Abuse of Journalists VOA 28 Feb 2011 -- The U.S. ambassador in China lashed out, protesting a violent crackdown on foreign journalists covering a thwarted pro-democracy rally.
- Top Chinese negotiator wraps up Taiwan visit CNA 28 Feb 2011 -- Chen Yunlin, China's top negotiator with Taiwan, departed for Beijing after a six-day visit.
- Heavy Police Presence Thwarts Call for Anti-Government Protests in China VOA 27 Feb 2011 -- China put on a display of force Sunday following an on-line call for anti-government protests across the nation. Several foreign journalists were physically assaulted and detained, including two VOA reporters. Security officials are determined to put down any signs of the kind of unrest that has shaken the Middle East.
- Beijing Plaza Partially Blocked Ahead of Planned Protest VOA 25 Feb 2011 -- Construction barriers have gone up around a Beijing site that activists have designated for regular Sunday afternoon protests.
- China ‘Concerned’ About Libyan Unrest VOA 22 Feb 2011 -- China has expressed concern about unrest in Libya, especially attacks on Chinese workers and assets there. A Libyan diplomat stationed in Beijing has resigned to protest his government's violent crackdown on protesters.
- China Tightens Security Ahead of Calls for Nationwide Protests VOA 20 Feb 2011 -- China has increased the presence of security forces around the country in response to an on-line call for nationwide demonstrations in solidarity with the so-called "Jasmine Revolutions" in the Middle East.
- US Ambassador Calls for Release of Jailed American VOA 18 Feb 2011 -- A Chinese appeals court upheld the eight-year prison sentence given to an American geologist for obtaining information on China’s oil industry.
- Hu Jintao on Boosting China-DPRK Relations KCNA 17 Feb 2011 -- The Chinese party and government are satisfied with the successful development of the bilateral relations.
- Modernisation of Chinese armed forces a matter of concern IRNA 17 Feb 2011 -- Defense Minister A. K. Antony said India needs to carry out a 'comprehensive review' of its defence preparedness and 'remain vigilant' to meet its security challenges.
- Chinese Minister of Public Security on Sino-DPRK Friendship KCNA 16 Feb 2011 -- The Sino-DPRK friendly and cooperative relations are steadily growing stronger, said Meng Jianzhu, minister of Public Security.
- Indian Army 'alert' to situation on borders with Pakistan, China IRNA 15 Feb 2011 -- The Army has taken elaborate measures to safeguard the borders with China and Pakistan and does not see any reason for worry.
- Chinese Minister of Public Security Wraps up His DPRK Visit KCNA 15 Feb 2011 -- Meng Jianzhu, minister of Public Security, and his party flew back home after winding up his visit to the DPRK.
- Taiwan probing those involved in espionage, execution cases CNA 14 Feb 2011 -- Minister of National Defense Kao Hua-chu: Military will get to the bottom of a case in which an army general spied for China.
- China Overtakes Japan As World's Second-Biggest Economy RFE/RL 14 Feb 2011 -- China has overtaken Japan as the world's second-biggest economy, putting it on course to surpass the US within the next 15 years.
- China replaces Japan as world's second largest economy RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2011 -- Japan ceded the title of the world's second largest economy to China.
- Kim Jong Il Receives Chinese Minister of Public Security KCNA 14 Feb 2011 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il received Meng Jianzhu, state councilor of the People's Republic of China and minister of Public Security.
- Kim Yong Nam Meets Chinese Minister of Public Security KCNA 14 Feb 2011 -- Kim Yong Nam met and had a friendly talk with Meng Jianzhu, minister of Public Security.
- Ri Yong Ho Meets Chinese Minister of Public Security KCNA 14 Feb 2011 -- Ri Yong Ho met and had a friendly talk with Meng Jianzhu, state councilor of the People's Republic of China and minister of Public Security.
- Aid Materials Donated by Chinese Ministry of Public Security KCNA 13 Feb 2011 -- The Chinese Ministry of Public Security donated aid materials to the Ministry of People's Security of the DPRK.
- Agreement Signed between Security Organs of DPRK and China KCNA 13 Feb 2011 -- An agreement on coop between the DPRK Ministry of People's Security and the Chinese Ministry of Public Security was signed.
- Reception Given for Chinese Minister of Public Security KCNA 13 Feb 2011 -- The DPRK Ministry of People's Security hosted a reception at the Mansudae Assembly Hall for the Chinese minister of Public Security.
- China Reacts Cautiously to Events in Egypt VOA 12 Feb 2011 -- China's authoritarian government has reacted with caution to the ousting of Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak.
- China Nudges North Korea to Reform With Limited Success VOA 09 Feb 2011 -- Three months after North Korea shelled a South Korean island and threatened a wider conflict, military envoys from both sides sat down for rare talks this week.
- Military urged to take disciplinary action in espionage case CNA 09 Feb 2011 -- Lawmakers from across the political spectrum urged the Ministry of National Defense (MND) Wednesday to discipline all those found culpable in a case of an army general spying for China.
- Military tries to downplay damage from espionage case CNA 09 Feb 2011 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tried Wednesday to downplay the impact of intelligence allegedly leaked to China by a high-ranking military official, saying the officer had only limited access to highly classified information.
- Alleged spy stationed in Thailand, not U.S. as reported: official CNA 09 Feb 2011 -- A Taiwanese army general who has been detained on espionage charges used to work in Thailand, not the United States as news reports have claimed, a senior official at Taiwan's representative office in Washington, D.C. said Tuesday.
- Army general detained for allegedly spying for China CNA 08 Feb 2011 -- A one-star army general has been detained on espionage charges, the Ministry of National Defense said Monday. He is believed to be one of Taiwan's highest-ranking military officials to have allegedly spied for China in more than two decades.
- China Praises Departing US Ambassador VOA 01 Feb 2011 -- The U.S. Ambassador to China, Jon Huntsman, is resigning amid reports he is considering a run for the presidency in 2012.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list