Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2010 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Belarusian Opposition Candidates Formally Charged Over Protests RFE/RL 30 Dec 2010 -- Authorities in Belarus were expected to formally charge a fifth opposition candidate in connection with the protests that broke out in Minsk following this month's presidential election, following similar charges against four others.
- Belarus Starts Releasing Election Protesters From Jail RFE/RL 29 Dec 2010 -- Belarusian authorities have started to release people detained during a postelection demonstration on December 19, RFE/RL's Belarus Service reports.
- Belarus top court reviewing Russian detainees' cases RIA Novosti 29 Dec 2010 -- Belarus's Supreme Court is studying the cases of Russian nationals arrested during opposition protests, a court spokesman said on Wednesday.
- Belarus Gets New Prime Minister Amid Growing Criticism VOA 28 Dec 2010 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko on Tuesday gathered together new political allies in the face of Western criticism of his government's assault on opposition figures and independent journalists.
- Belarus officially declares Lukashenko winner of presidential vote RIA Novosti 24 Dec 2010 -- Belarus' Central Election Commission officially announced on Friday that President Alexander Lukashenko won the December 19 presidential election.
- Rights Group: Seven Belarusian Presidential Candidates Face 15 Years In Prison RFE/RL 22 Dec 2010 -- A Belarusian human rights organization says seven presidential candidates who ran against the country's authoritarian leader could face up to 15 years in prison in the wake of postelection violence and massive arrests.
- Belarusian Party Branch Wants To Expel Presidential Candidate RFE/RL 22 Dec 2010 -- A branch of the Belarusian opposition United Civic Party (AHP) says it wants presidential candidate Yaraslau Ramanchuk expelled from the party, RFE/RL’s Belarus Service reports.
- UN human rights chief condemns post-electoral violence in Belarus UN News Centre 21 Dec 2010 -- The United Nations human rights chief today voiced deep concern about the violence that erupted after Sunday’s presidential election in Belarus, including the abduction of opposition candidates, and called for the immediate release of those detained.
- Standoff Between Lukashenka, Opposition Enters Third Day RFE/RL 21 Dec 2010 -- President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has further tightened the screws on Belarus's opposition after police broke up mass protests against his reelection, while activists defied a ban on street rallies.
- Belarus opposition denies responsibility for Sunday riots RIA Novosti 21 Dec 2010 -- Leaders of opposition parties and democratic movements in Belarus blamed the authorities on Tuesday for provoking violence in the aftermath of the recent presidential elections.
- Western Observers Call Belarus Election a 'Failure' VOA 20 Dec 2010 -- Belarus's presidential candidate Grigory Kostusyev says he was held by secret police and pressured to renounce his colleagues before being released. He said candidate Dmitry Uss also had been released, after being among seven opposition candidates jailed following Sunday's election. European observers declared Belarus' election a failure.
- Belarus Leader Shrugs Off Accusations of Election Fraud, Violence VOA 20 Dec 2010 -- President Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus appeared on Monday to shrug off accusations that he won his re-election through a combination of vote fraud and violence.
- Lukashenka Declared Belarus Victor After Clashes, Detentions RFE/RL 20 Dec 2010 -- Authorities in Belarus say President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has won a landslide reelection victory to a fourth term, in an election marred by the detention of opposition candidates and clashes between police and demonstrators.
- Lukashenka Claims Victory Amid Mounting Criticism RFE/RL 20 Dec 2010 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has won a fourth term in office in an election marred by violence and claims of massive falsification.
- Belarusian opposition candidate taken to police station from hospital - wife RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2010 -- An opposition candidate in Sunday's presidential election in Belarus, Vladimir Nekliaev, who was injured and hospitalized during an unsanctioned protest rally following the vote the opposition claimed was rigged, has been taken to a police station, his wife told RIA Novosti.
- Belarus' Alexander Lukashenko re-elected to fourth term RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2010 -- Incumbent Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko won a landslide victory in Sunday's presidential election amid accusations of vote rigging and mass arrests in the country's capital.
- Belarusian opposition candidates demand cancelation of election results RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2010 -- Two Belarusian opposition candidates have demanded the cancelation of the country's presidential election results after "Europe's last dictator," Alexander Lukashenko, won by a landslide in what observers describe as large-scale vote rigging.
- Belarusian riot police actions against Russian journalists unjustified - Russian embassy RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2010 -- Actions taken by Belarusian Special Police Forces against Russian journalists were not justified, a representative of Russian Embassy in Minsk said on Monday.
- Belarus vote count 'flawed' says OSCE RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2010 -- Yesterday's presidential elections in Belarus were marred by a "flawed" vote count, the OSCE said on Monday and decried the "heavy-handed" police response to last night's opposition rallies, calling for the government to account for those detained.
- Belarus will preserve ties with Russia - Lukashenko RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2010 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said on Monday he was ready to "put up with anything" to preserve ties with Russia.
- Lukashenko says ordered heavy-handed reaction to protesters RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2010 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said on Monday that he ordered police to forcefully suppress the opposition riots that followed presidential elections in the ex-Soviet state on Sunday.
- Lukashenko vows to tighten grip on Belarusian media RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2010 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko pledged on Monday to impose harsher punishments on media facilities caught publishing inaccurate information.
- Lukashenko Wins Belarus Presidential Election, Mass Protests Follow VOA 20 Dec 2010 -- Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko won a fourth 5-year term Monday, after a landslide election marred by a violent police crackdown on demonstrators and the arrest of opposition candidates.
- Opposition, Police Clash After Fraud Claims In Belarus Presidential Vote RFE/RL 19 Dec 2010 -- Opposition protesters in Belarus, angry over perceived election violations, have tried to storm the country’s parliament building.
- Two Belarus presidential candidates say attacked by special forces RIA Novosti 19 Dec 2010 -- Two candidates in the Belarus presidential elections said on Sunday they were beaten by the special forces officers as they were heading for an unsanctioned rally in downtown Minsk.
- Belarusians Try To Storm Government Headquarters in Election Protest VOA 19 Dec 2010 -- Thousands of Belarusians protesting what opposition says was a rigged presidential election smashed windows and doors of government headquarters in central Minsk Sunday night.
- Lukashenko Dominates Belarus Election Day VOA 18 Dec 2010 -- Belarus votes for president on Sunday. The suspense is largely over the margin of victory for Alexander Lukashenko, hailed by some as Europe's longest serving president, reviled by others as Europe's "last dictator."
- As Belarus Votes, World Outside Settles On Lukashenka As The Devil It Knows RFE/RL 17 Dec 2010 -- Television viewers in Belarus treated to an unusual: Alyaksandr Lukashenka speaking Belarusian.
- Belarus to scrap highly-enriched uranium stocks RIA Novosti 01 Dec 2010 -- Belarus announced it would eliminate its highly enriched uranium stocks before a nuclear security summit in South Korea in 2012.
- Belarus to Eliminate Enriched Uranium Stockpile in Deal with US VOA 01 Dec 2010 -- The US and Belarus announced an agreement under which Belarus will eliminate a stockpile of Soviet-era highly enriched uranium.
- Belarus To Give Up Nuclear Materials RFE/RL 01 Dec 2010 -- Belarus says it will give up its stockpile of material used to make nuclear weapons by 2012.
- Belarus, Ukraine to hold joint peacekeeping drills RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2010 -- Belarus and Ukraine will hold joint tactical drills on October 19-22 at Yavorovo Range in western Ukraine, the Belarusian Defense Ministry reported.
- Belarus to return some spent nuclear fuel to Russia RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2010 -- Minsk and Moscow have agreed to return to Russia several dozen kilograms of spent nuclear fuel.
- Belarus Sets December Date For Presidential Vote RFE/RL 14 Sep 2010 -- Lawmakers in the Belarusian National Assembly have overwhelmingly approved a mid-December date for the country's presidential election.
- Kremlin ready to publish Lukashenko's promise on Abkhazia, S.Ossetia RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2010 -- The Kremlin may publish the transcript from a CSTO summit in which Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said he was ready to recognize Abkhazia and South Ossetia, a senior Russian presidential official confirmed on Wednesday.
- Kremlin regrets Lukashenko's "dishonesty, inconsistency" RIA Novosti 14 Aug 2010 -- The Kremlin regrets Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko's inconsistent policy towards recognizing South Ossetia and Abkhazia.
- Belarus may refuse NPP construction deal with Russia - Lukashenko RIA Novosti 14 Aug 2010 -- Belarus may refuse its deal with Russia's nuclear power equipment and service export monopoly Atomstroyexport on a construction of a nuclear power plant in the ex-Soviet republic, the Belarus president said.
- No way Iran could get S-300 missiles - expert RIA Novosti 05 Aug 2010 -- The recent report by the Iranian Fars news agency about deliveries from Belarus of S-300 surface-to-air missile systems to Tehran is a bluff.
- Belarus denies sales of S-300 air defense systems to Iran RIA Novosti 04 Aug 2010 -- The Belarusian government denied on Wednesday rumors that Minsk had allegedly sold S-300 air defense systems to Iran.
- Has Moscow Had Enough Of Belarus's Lukashenka? RFE/RL 19 Jul 2010 -- Has the Kremlin finally had enough of Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka? The past two months have featured a gas war between Moscow and Minsk and a televised mudslinging match between Lukashenka and the Kremlin.
- Minsk, Moscow to sign gas transit fees deal by Thursday RIA Novosti 28 Jun 2010 -- Belarus gas pipeline Beltransgaz and Russia's gas monopoly Gazprom have finalized a supplementary agreement to a gas transit contract.
- Medvedev asks Minsk to honor gas contract, avoid conflicts RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2010 -- Russia hopes Belarus will behave responsibly, avoid conflicts and fulfill its obligations under Russian gas transit contracts.
- Belarus gives Russia 24 hours to pay gas debt or face transit shutdown RIA Novosti 25 Jun 2010 -- Belarusian President Lukashenko: Russia had 24 hours to pay off its gas transit debt or Minsk would restrict oil and gas transit through its territory.
- Belarus Threatens To Cut Russian Energy Supplies To Europe RFE/RL 25 Jun 2010 -- Belarus has threatened to suspend Russian oil and gas deliveries to Europe unless Russia pays what Minsk says is a $32 million debt in gas transit fees.
- Russia, Belarus Gas Dispute Closer to Resolution VOA 24 Jun 2010 -- A dispute between Russia and Belarus over payments for gas supplies moved closer to resolution.
- Gazprom says no money received from Belarus RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2010 -- Gazprom cannot yet confirm that Belarus has settled its gas debt, a spokesman for the Russian energy giant said.
- Belarus says paid Gazprom in full, demands Russia settle transit debt RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2010 -- Belarus said Wednesday it paid off its entire debt to Russian energy giant Gazprom and demanded that Russia settle its $260 million transit debt.
- Russia's Gazprom cuts gas deliveries to Belarus by 60 pct RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2010 -- The gas row between Russia and Belarus continued on Wednesday as state-controlled gas monopoly Gazprom extended supply cuts to Minsk but promised no interruption of supplies to EU consumers.
- Russia Slashes Belarus Gas Deliveries As Dispute Continues RFE/RL 23 Jun 2010 -- Neither Russia nor Belarus appears ready to compromise in their row over hundreds of millions of dollars in gas debts that each is claiming from the other.
- Bakiyev denies lending Belarus mioney to pay gas debt RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2010 -- Kurmanbek Bakiyev, Kyrgyzstan's ousted president who has taken refuge in Belarus, denied on Wednesday he had lent $200 million to Minsk to pay off its gas debt to Russia.
- Russia, Belarus agree to continue consultations on resolving gas conflict RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2010 -- Belarusian PM Sidorsky and Russia's Gazprom CEO Alexei Miller agreed to continue consultations on mutual debts settlement.
- EU to stay out of Russia-Belarus gas row RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2010 -- The European Union will not intervene in the gas dispute between Russia and Belarus.
- Belarus And Russia Escalate Latest 'Gas War' RFE/RL 22 Jun 2010 -- President Lukashenka of Belarus says he has ordered a halt to all transit deliveries of Russian gas to Europe.
- European Commission calls emergency meeting over Russia-Belarus gas dispute RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2010 -- The European Commission has called an emergency meeting over the Russia-Belarus gas dispute.
- Belarus's Lukashenko accuses Gazprom of unleashing 'gas war' RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2010 -- Belarusian President Lukashenko said gas debt disputes between Russia's state-controlled gas monopoly Gazprom and Belarus have turned into a "gas war."
- Russia's Gazprom increases gas supplies cuts to Belarus to 30 pct, Belarus threatens to siphon off gas RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2010 -- Russian gas export monopoly Gazprom cut its supplies to Belarus further over debts, while Belarus threatened to siphon off gas from the transit pipeline.
- Belarus Cuts Gas Flow to Europe in Dispute with Russia VOA 22 Jun 2010 -- Belarus raised the stakes in a natural gas payment dispute with Russia, cutting all gas flow to western Europe after Moscow stepped up gas cuts aimed at Belarus.
- Russia sees no alternative to Lukashenko as Belarusian president RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2010 -- Russia sees no alternative to Alexander Lukashenko as president of Belarus.
- Belarus Says Prolonged U.S. Sanctions 'Pointless' RFE/RL 09 Jun 2010 -- Belarus has called continued U.S. sanctions against it "pointless" and "confrontational."
- U.S. sanctions against Belarusian officials useless RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2010 -- Sanctions imposed by the U.S. against a number of Belarusian officials are "confrontational" and "useless."
- Obama extends sanctions against Belarus RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2010 -- U.S. President Barack Obama extended sanctions against Belarus for another consecutive year.
- Message from the President on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Belarus The White House 08 Jun 2010
- Notice from the President on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Belarus The White House 08 Jun 2010
- More than 2,000 Belarusian soldiers to participate in CSTO's military contingent RIA Novosti 26 May 2010 -- Belarus will contribute more than 2,000 troops to the post-Soviet security group's rapid reaction force.
- Belarus to allocate commando unit to post-Soviet security bloc RIA Novosti 06 May 2010 -- Belarus will allocate a commando unit to the Collective Security Treaty Organization's (CSTO) Rapid Reaction Force.
- Milinkevich Announces Candidacy, Sees Belarus's Future In EU RFE/RL 03 May 2010 -- The leader of Belarus's main opposition movement, Alyaksandr Milinkevich, said today after announcing his candidacy for president that he sees Belarus's future in the European Union.
- Minsk to hold on to its arms-grade uranium - Lukashenko RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2010 -- Belarus has no plans to build a "dirty" nuclear bomb but no one can take its enriched uranium stockpiles away from it, President Alexander Lukashenko said on Tuesday.
- Belarus has "hundreds of kilograms" of weapons-grade uranium — Lukashenko RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2010 -- Belarus possesses hundreds of kilograms of highly enriched uranium and is not going to get rid of it, the country's Belta news agency quoted Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko as saying.
- Lukashenka Offers Venezuela Military Help RFE/RL 17 Mar 2010 -- President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has offered Belarusian help to strengthen the military of Venezuela.
- U.S. Says Behind Veneer, Belarus President Holds All Power RFE/RL 12 Mar 2010 -- Although Belarus has a bicameral national legislature and a governing cabinet under a prime minister, President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has directly run all the country's institutions since he was elected president in 1994, according to the State Department's annual Human Rights Report for 2009.
- European Parliament Condemns Belarus Clampdown On Poles RFE/RL 10 Mar 2010 -- The European Parliament has condemned Belarus's clampdown on its ethnic Polish minority, in a row that has strained ties between Brussels and Minsk.
- Polish-Belarusian Expert Panel To Meet Next Week RFE/RL 04 Mar 2010 -- The first meeting of a Belarusian-Polish expert panel tasked with seeking solutions to a conflict over an ethnic Polish cultural organization has been slated for next week, RFE/RL's Belarus Service reports.
- EP Delegation Heads To Minsk Amid Ongoing Row Over Polish Group RFE/RL 25 Feb 2010 -- A European Parliament delegation is due in Belarus today for a three-day fact-finding mission.
- Polish FM Meets Lukashenka Amid Row Over Belarus's Poles RFE/RL 25 Feb 2010 -- Poland's foreign minister has met with Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka to discuss the dispute over Minsk's treatment of its ethnic Polish minority.
- Poland Takes Belarus Offensive To Brussels RFE/RL 24 Feb 2010 -- The European Parliament today was the epicenter of an ongoing campaign in which Belarusian civil-society activists are seeking greater EU support in their struggle with that country's autocratic authorities.
- Belarus Forces Way To Top Of EU Ministers' Agenda RFE/RL 22 Feb 2010 -- Belarus has forced its way to the top of the EU agenda once again as member states' foreign ministers meet today in Brussels.
- Belarusians Will Need Identification To Enter Internet Cafes RFE/RL 06 Feb 2010 -- A Belarusian official says that people will only be allowed to enter Internet cafes with their passports or other ID beginning this summer, RFE/RL's Belarus Service reports.
- EU Calls Belarusian Internet Decree 'A Step In Wrong Direction' RFE/RL 04 Feb 2010 -- The European Union says a new Internet decree in Belarus is a "step in the wrong direction" at a time when Brussels is scrutinizing Minsk's record on issues like free speech and freedom of the press.
- Belarusian defense minister to visit Moscow for military talks RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2010 -- The new Belarusian defense minister, Yury Zhadobin, will discuss military cooperation between Russia and the ex-Soviet state with his Russian counterpart Anatoly Serdyukov on January 29 in Moscow, a spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list