SSGN 726 Ohio
(ex SSBN 726)
USS Ohio (SSBN 726) is the first TRIDENT Class nuclear powered fleet ballistic missile submarine and the fourth United States vessel to bear the name of the seventeenth state of the union.
The first Ohio, a merchant schooner purchased by the Navy in 1812, was converted to a warship and commissioned in 1813. She served on Lake Erie during the War of 1812 in a squadron commanded by Commodore Oliver H. Perry.
The second Ohio was a sailing ship-of-the-line launched in 1820. She spent most ofher 55 years of service in reserve, being reactivated when needed. In 1838 she served as flag ship for Commodore Isaac Hull in the Mediterranean. In 1847, she served in the Gulf of Mexico during the Mexican War and in the Pacific Squadron on the coast of South America and California during the gold rush days. The second Ohio was finally decommissioned in 1875.
The third ship, USS Ohio (BB-12), was launched in 1901 and commissioned in 1904. Designated Flagship of the Asiatic Fleet, USS Ohio (BB-12) departed San Francisco in 1905 for Manila and served in the Asiatic Fleet for several years. After the United States entered World War I, Ohio acted as a training ship and operated from Norfolk. The Ohio (BB- 12) was one of the battleships that circled the world as part of President Theodore Roosevelt's Great White fleet. She was placed in reserve in 1919 and decommissioned in 1922.
On 28 December 1940, The name USS Ohio, BB-68 was assigned to the Montana class battleship designed during World War II. This was to be the second ship in a five ship class which would have been the largest US battleship built displacing 70,965 tons full load and mounting twelve 16" guns. The Montana class was cancelled on 21 July 1943 before construction began.
The current USS Ohio (SSBN 726) is the lead ship of the Trident Class. Her keel was laid by Mrs. Robert Taft, wife of Senator Taft, on 10 April 1976 at Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation, Groton, Connecticut. On 2 February 1978, the Ohio Precommissioning Unit was formed. Commander A. K. Thompson was its Commanding Officer.
On 7 April 1979, Ohio was launched and christened by Mrs. Annie Glenn, wife of Senator John H. Glenn. In the summer of 1981, several sea trials were held to test the equipments, systems and ship that were to be accepted by the United States Navy. These sea trials were an unqualified success.
On 11 November 1981, USS Ohio was commissioned at Electric Boat Division in Groton, Connecticut. The principal speaker, The Honorable George Bush, Vice President of the United States, remarked to the 8,000 assembled guests that the ship introduced a "new dimension in our nation's strategic deterrence." During the ceremony, Admiral Hyman G. Rickover noted that the Ohio should "strike fear in the hearts of our enemies." On that day, Captain A. K. Thompson assumed command of USS Ohio (BLUE) and Captain A. F. Campbell assumed command of USS Ohio (GOLD).
Following Post Shakedown Availability at Electric Boat Division, Ohio left the Atlantic and transited to her new home port, Bangor, Washington, arriving on 12 August 1982.
During August and September 1982, the first loadout of Trident C- 4 missiles on a Trident Class Submarine and a predeployment refit were conducted. USS Ohio and her Blue Crew, departed on the first Trident Submarine Strategic Deterrent Patrol in October 1982.
From June 1993 to June 1994 USS Ohio underwent overhaul at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Washington, the first for a Trident submarine. The ship received extensive upgrades to sonar, fire control, and navigation systems. USS Ohio resumed strategic deterrent patrols in January 1995. Ohio has completed sixty-one strategic deterrent patrols.
On Septenber 23, 2002 the USS Ohio (Gold) was awarded the Arleigh Burke achievement for the most improved vessel in the Pacific Fleet for the year 2001.
SSGN 726 Ohio
On October 1, 2002 the USS Ohio was placed "In Commission, In Reserve".
As of late 2002 the Ohio was at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard undergoing a RCOH, was scheduled to begin a conversion to SSGN sometime in late 2003. SSGN 726 began its ERO at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in November 2002, and began conversion work in November 2003.
On 18 December 2003 General Dynamics Electric Boat Corp. (GD/EB) was awarded a cost plus incentive fee contract worth $222 million for the conversion of the first Ohio Class Guided Missile Submarine (SSGN), USS Ohio (SSGN 726), and for Long Lead Time Material (LLTM) and Conversion Installation Planning for the Conversion of Ohio Class Ballistic Missile Submarines (SSBNs), the USS Michigan (SSBN 727) and the USS Georgia (SSBN 729), to SSGN 727 and SSGN 729.
USS Ohio (SSGN 726), the Navy's first modern guided-missile submarine, took a significant step towards rejoining the fleet 19 December 2005, when she arrived at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Wash., with a broom atop its sail to signify its clean sweep of the ship's initial sea trials. The guided missile submarine USS Ohio (SSGN 726) was pushed to the pier by a tugboat as it returns to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility in Bremerton, Wash., Dec. 19, 2005, after completing sea trials. Ohio is the first ballistic missile submarine to complete conversion to the new class of guided missile submarines.
This first SSGN is scheduled to enter the fleet in 2007.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|