Government Accountability Office
General Accounting Office
GAO Homeland Security Reports - Subcategories
Dept. of Homeland Security
Disaster Preparedness / Response
Critical Infrastructure Protection
- Drug Policy: Assessing Treatment Expansion Efforts and Drug Control Strategies and Programs, Statement of Triana D McNeil, Acting Director, Homeland Security and Justice / Statement of Mary E Denigan-Macauley, Acting Director, Health Care, GAO-19-535T, May 9, 2019
- Drug Policy: Preliminary Observations on the 2019 National Drug Control Strategy, Statement of Triana D McNeil, Acting Director, Homeland Security and Justice Statement of Mary E Denigan-Macauley, Acting Director, Health Care, GAO-19-370T, March 7, 2019
- Drug Control: DOD Should Improve Its Oversight of the National Guard Counterdrug Program, GAO-19-27, January 17, 2019
- Colombia: U.S. Counternarcotics Assistance Achieved Some Positive Results but State Needs to Review the Overall U.S. Approach, GAO-19-106, December 12, 2018
- Illegal Marijuana: Opportunities Exist to Improve Oversight of State and Local Eradication Efforts, GAO-19-9, November 14, 2018
- Opioid Crisis: Status of Public Health Emergency Authorities, GAO-18-685R, September 26, 2018
- Illicit Opioids: Office of National Drug Control Policy and Other Agencies Need to Better Assess Strategic Efforts, Statement of Gretta Goodwin, Director, Homeland Security and Justice, GAO-18-569T, May 17, 2018
- Illicit Opioids: While Greater Attention Given to Combating Synthetic Opioids, Agencies Need to Better Assess their Efforts, GAO-18-205, March 29, 2018
- Counternarcotics: Overview of U.S. Efforts in the Western Hemisphere, GAO-18-10, October 13, 2017
- Drug Control Policy: Information on Status of Federal Efforts and Key Issues for Preventing Illicit Drug Use, GAO-17-766T, July 26, 2017
- Confidential Informants: Status of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration's Efforts to Address a GAO Recommendation, GAO-17-265R, November 30, 2016
- Drug Enforcement Administration: Additional Actions Needed to Address Prior GAO Recommendations, GAO-16-737T, June 22, 2016
- Controlled Substances: DEA Should Take Additional Actions to Reduce Risks in Monitoring the Continued Eligibility of Its Registrants, GAO-16-310, May 26, 2016
- Office of National Drug Control Policy: Progress toward Some National Drug Control Strategy Goals, but None Have Been Fully Achieved, GAO-16-660T, May 17, 2016
- Building Partner Capacity: U.S. Agencies Can Improve Monitoring of Counter-Firearms Trafficking Efforts in Belize, Guatemala, and Mexico. GAO-16-235, January 13, 2016
- Firearms Trafficking: U.S. Efforts to Combat Firearms Trafficking to Mexico Have Improved, but Some Collaboration Challenges Remain, GAO-16-223, January 11, 2016
- Office of National Drug Control Policy: Lack of Progress on Achieving National Strategy Goals, by David C. Maurer, director, homeland security and justice, before the Subcommittee on Government Operations, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, GAO-16-257T, December 2, 2015
- Controlled Substances: DEA Needs to Better Manage Its Quota Process and Improve Coordination with FDA, by Marcia Crosse, director, health care, before the Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control, GAO-15-494T, May 5, 2015
- Office of National Drug Control Policy: Office Could Better Identify Opportunities to Increase Program Coordination, GAO-13-333, March 26, 2013
- Drug Control: State Approaches Taken to Control Access to Key Methamphetamine Ingredient Show Varied Impact on Domestic Drug Labs, GAO-13-204, January 31, 2013
- Status of Funding for the Central America Regional Security Initiative, GAO-13-295R, January 30, 2013
- Counternarcotics Assistance: U.S. Agencies Have Allotted Billions in Andean Countries, but DOD Should Improve Its Reporting of Results, GAO-12-824, July 10, 2012
- Drug Control: Initial Review of the National Strategy and Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment Programs, GAO-12-744R, July 6, 2012
- Combatting Illicit Drugs: DEA and ICE Interagency Agreement Has Helped to Ensure Better Coordination of Drug Investigations, GAO-11-763, Jul 28, 2011
- Department of State's Counternarcotics Performance Management System, GAO-11-564R, May 26, 2011
- Office of National Drug Control Policy: Agencies View the Budget Process as Useful for Identifying Priorities, but Challenges Exist, GAO-11-261R, May 2, 2011
- Merida Initiative: The United States Has Provided Counternarcotics and Anticrime Support but Needs Better Performance Measures, GAO-10-837, Jul 21, 2010
- Merida Initiative: The United States Needs Better Performance Measures for Its Counternarcotics and Anticrime Support Efforts, GAO-10-913T, Jul 21, 2010
- Drug Control: DOD Needs to Improve Its Performance Measurement System to Better Manage and Oversee Its Counternarcotics Activities, GAO-10-835, Jul 21, 2010
- Drug Control: International Programs Face Significant Challenges Reducing the Supply of Illegal Drugs but Support Broad U.S. Foreign Policy Objectives, GAO-10-921T, Jul 21, 2010
- Preliminary Observations on the Department of Defense's Counternarcotics Performance Measurement System, GAO-10-594R, Apr 30, 2010
- Afghanistan Drug Control: Strategy Evolving and Progress Reported, but Interim Performance Targets and Evaluation of Justice Reform Efforts Needed, GAO-10-291, Mar 9, 2010
- Status of Funds for the Merida Initiative, GAO-10-253R, Dec 3, 2009
- Drug Control: U.S. Counternarcotics Cooperation with Venezuela Has Declined, GAO-09-806, Jul 20, 2009
- Firearms Trafficking: U.S. Efforts to Combat Arms Trafficking to Mexico Face Planning and Coordination Challenges, GAO-09-781T, Jun 19, 2009
- Firearms Trafficking: U.S. Efforts to Combat Arms Trafficking to Mexico Face Planning and Coordination Challenges, GAO-09-709, Jun 18, 2009
- Drug Control: Better Coordination with the Department of Homeland Security and an Updated Accountability Framework can Further Enhance DEA's Efforts to Meet Post-9/11 Responsibilities, GAO-09-63, Mar 20, 2009
- Counterdrug Technology Assessment Center: Clarifying Rationale for the Research and Development Funding Decisions Would Increase Accountability, GAO-09-339R, Mar 12, 2009
- Plan Colombia: Drug Reduction Goals Were Not Fully Met, but Security Has Improved; U.S. Agencies Need More Detailed Plans for Reducing Assistance, GAO-09-71, Oct 6, 2008
- Drug Control: Cooperation with Many Major Drug Transit Countries Has Improved, but Better Performance Reporting and Sustainability Plans Are Needed, GAO-08-784, Jul 15, 2008
- Drug Control: U.S. Assistance Has Helped Mexican Counternarcotics Efforts, but the Flow of Illicit Drugs into the United States Remains High GAO-08-215T October 25, 2007
- Drug Control: U.S. Assistance Has Helped Mexican Counternarcotics Efforts, but Tons of Illicit Drugs Continue to Flow into the United States GAO-07-1018 August 17, 2007
- Afghanistan Drug Control: Despite Improved Efforts, Deteriorating Security Threatens Success of U.S. Goals GAO-07-78, November 15, 2006
- ONDCP Media Campaign: Contractor's National Evaluation Did Not Find that the Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign Was Effective in Reducing Youth Drug Use GAO-06-818, August 25, 2006
- Drug Control: Agencies Need to Plan for Likely Declines in Drug Interdiction Assets, and Develop Better Performance Measures for Transit Zone Operations, GAO-06-200, November 15, 2005
- Drug Control: High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas' Efforts to Link Investigations to International Drug Traffickers. GAO-05-122, January 28, 2005.
- Drug Control: Aviation Program Safety Concerns in Colombia Are Being Addressed, but State's Budgeting Process Can Be Improved. GAO-04-918, July 29, 2004.
- Drug Control: U.S. Nonmilitary Assistance in Colombia Is Beginning to Show Intended Results but Programs Are Not Readily Sustainable. GAO-04-726, July 2, 2004. [PDF 1.7MB]
- Equal Employment Opportunity: Hiring, Promotion, and Discipline Processes at DEA (GAO-03-413) June 10, 2003 [PDF 920 Kb]
- Drug Control: Specific Performance Measures and Long-Term Costs for U.S. Programs in Colombia Have Not Been Developed, June 16, 2003, (GAO-03-783) [PDF 670 Kb]
- Drug Control: Management and Financial Challenges Continue to Complicate Efforts to Reduce Illicit Drug Activities in Colombia, by Jess T. Ford, director, international affairs and trade, before the Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control, June 3, 2003 (GAO-03-820T) [PDF 253 Kb]
- Youth Illicit Drug Use Prevention: DARE Long-Term Evaluations and Federal Efforts to Identify Effective Programs, January 15 2002 (GAO-03-172R) [PDF 333 Kb]
- Drug Control: Coca Cultivation and Eradication Estimates in Colombia, January 8, 2003 (GAO-03-319R) [PDF 2.19 Mb]
- Drug Control: State Department Provides Required Aviation Program Oversight, but Safety and Security Should Be Enhanced, (14-SEP-01, GAO-01-1021)
- Drug Control: The Department of State's Contract Award for Its Counternarcotics Aviation Program, February 28, 2001 (GAO-01-435R) [PDF 71 Kb]
- DRUG CONTROL: Challenges in Implementing Plan Colombia -- Statement of Jess T. Ford, Director International Affairs and Trade, October 12, 2000, (GAO-01-76T) [PDF 56 Kb]
- Drug Control: U.S. Assistance to Colombia Will Take Years to Produce Results, (Letter Report, 10/17/2000, GAO/GAO-01-26). [PDF 439 Kb]
- Drug Control: International Counterdrug Sites Being Developed, (Briefing Report, 12/20/2000, GAO/GAO-01-63BR). [PDF 1.72 Mb]
- Drug Control: Challenges in Implementing Plan Colombia, (Testimony, 10/12/2000, GAO/GAO-01-76T).
- PricewaterhouseCoopers' Review of the Office of National Drug Control Policy [GGD-00-170R] 06/26/2000. [PDF Version 3.31 Mb]
- Drug Control: DOD Allocates Fewer Assets to Drug Control Efforts (Testimony, 01/27/2000, GAO/T-NSIAD-00-77). [PDF Version]
- Drug Control: Assets DOD Contributes to Reducing the Illegal Drug Supply Have Declined (Letter Report, 12/21/1999, GAO/NSIAD-00-9).
- Terrorism and Drug Trafficking: Testing Status and Views on Operational Viability of Pulsed Fast Neutron Analysis Technology (Letter Report, 04/13/99, GAO/GGD-99-54).
- Drug Control: Update on U.S.-Mexican Counternarcotics Activities (Testimony, 03/04/99, GAO/T-NSIAD-99-98). [PDF Version]
- Drug Control: Update on U.S.-Mexican Counternarcotics Efforts (Testimony, 02/24/99, GAO/T-NSIAD-99-86).
- DOD Counterdrug Activities: Reported Costs Do Not Reflect Extent of DOD's Support. NSIAD-98-231. 9 pp. plus 1 appendices (2 pp.) September 23, 1998. [PDF Version]
- Drug Control: Observations on U.S. Counternarcotics Activities. T-NSIAD-98-249. 13 pp. September 16, 1998.
- Drug Control: Information on High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas Program GAO/GGD-98-188, Sept. 3. [PDF Version]
- Customs Service Drug Interdiction: Internal Control Weaknesses and Other Concerns With Low-Risk Cargo Entry Programs GAO/GGD-98-175, July 31. [PDF Version]
- Drug Control: U.S.-Mexican Counternarcotics Efforts Face Difficult Challenges GAO/NSIAD-98-154, June 30. [PDF Version]
- Drug Control: An Overview of U.S. Counterdrug Intelligence Activities. GAO/NSIAD-98-142, June 25.
- Law Enforcement: Information on Drug-Related Police Corruption. GGD-98-111. 36 pp. plus 4 appendices (7 pp.) May 28, 1998. [PDF Version]
- Drug Control: Status of Counternarcotics Efforts in Mexico. T-NSIAD-98-129. 15 pp. March 18, 1998.
- Drug Control: Status of U.S. International Counternarcotics Activities. T-NSIAD-98-116. 18 pp. March 12, 1998.
- Drug Control: Counternarcotics Efforts in Colombia Face Continuing Challenges. T-NSIAD-98-103. 9 pp. February 26, 1998.
- Drug Control: Planned Actions Should Clarify Counterdrug Technology Assessment Center's Impact. GGD-98-28. 31 pp. plus 7 appendices (15 pp.) February 3, 1998. [PDF Version]
- Drug Control: Update on U.S. Interdiction Efforts in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific. NSIAD-98-30, 33 pp. plus 2 appendices (8 pp.) October 15, 1997. [PDF Version 1.1 Mb]
- Drug Control: Reauthorizing of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, by Norman J. Rabkin, Director of Administration of Justice Issues, before the Subcommittee on National Security, International Affairs, and Criminal Justice, House Committee on Government Reform and Oversight. GAO/T-GGD-97-97, May 1, 1997.
- Terrorism and Drug Trafficking: Responsibilities for Developing Explosives and Narcotics Detection Technologies - NSIAD-97-95. 23 April 15, 1997. [PDF Version]
- Drug Control: Long-Standing Problems Hinder U.S. International Efforts (Letter Report, 02/27/97, GAO/NSIAD-97-75). [PDF Version]
- Customs Service: Drug Interdiction Efforts (Briefing Report, 09/26/96, GAO/GGD-96-189BR). [PDF Version]
- Terrorism and Drug Trafficking: Technologies for Detecting Explosives and Narcotics (Letter Report, 09/04/96, GAO/NSIAD/RCED-96-252). [PDF Version]
- Drug Control: Counternarcotics Efforts in Mexico (Letter Report, 06/12/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-163). [PDF Version]
- Drug Control: U.S. Interdiction Efforts in the Caribbean Decline (Letter Report, 04/17/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-119). [PDF Version]
- Terrorism and Drug Trafficking: Threats and Roles of of Explosives and Narcotics Detection Technology (Briefing Report, GAO/NSIAD/RCED-96-76BR, 03/27/96). [PDF Version]
- Drug Control: U.S. Drug Interdiction Issues in Latin America (Testimony, GAO/T-NSIAD-95-32, 10/07/94)
- Drug Control: Interdiction Efforts in Central America Have Had Little Impact on the Flow of Drugs (Letter Report, GAO/NSIAD-94-233, 08/02/94). [PDF Version 4 Mb]
- Drug Control: The Office of National Drug Control Policy--Strategies Need Performance Measures (Testimony, GAO/T-GGD-94-49, 11/15/93)
- Expanded Military Surveillance Not Justified by Measurable Goals or Results Statement of Louis J. Rodrigues, Director, Systems Development and Production Issues, National Security and International Affairs Division GAO/T-NSIAD-94-14 -- October 5, 1993
- Drug Control: Reauthorization of the Office of National Drug Control Policy (Testimony, GAO/T-GGD-94-7, 10/05/93)
- Drug Control: Expanded Military Surveillance Not Justified by Measurable Goals or Results (Testimony, GAO/T-NSIAD-94-14, 10/05/93)
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|