24 March 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 64 WHO 24 March 2020
- Tackling COVID-19: Tough Measures in Tough Times VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- Although COVID-19 remains the same across borders---fast-moving and often fatal---how countries respond to the coronavirus may mean changing the outcome for their populations.
- COVID-19 pandemic just started, hard to see end: Chinese epidemiologist Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- The global COVID-19 pandemic has just started, and it's too early to predict when it will come to an end, a senior epidemiologist from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention said on Tuesday, who gave an estimate based on China's experience.
- WHO chief calls for G20 solidarity in ensuring protective equipment supply People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Monday called on the G20 countries to stand in solidarity in addressing the global shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE) in the midst of COVID-19 pandemic.
- World Bank chief says COVID-19 likely to hit poorest countries hardest People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- World Bank Group President David Malpass said Monday that the COVID-19 pandemic will likely hit the poorest countries the hardest, urging stepped-up international support for these countries.
- WHO chief says COVID-19 pandemic "accelerating" as global cases top 300,000 People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- More than 300,000 cases of COVID-19 have been reported from almost every country and region in the world, the chief of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday, noting "the pandemic is accelerating."
- No sign of pandemic slowdown as global cases top 300,000 People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- More than 300,000 cases of COVID-19 have been reported in 189 countries and regions, said World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Monday, noting "The pandemic is accelerating."
- US Likely to Become 'Coronavirus Epicenter,' WHO Says VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- The World Health Organization said Tuesday the United States could soon become the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic.
- US Has Potential to Become Epicentre of Pandemic Amid 'Large Acceleration' of COVID-19 Cases - WHO Sputnik 24 Mar 2020 -- According to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre, 43,214 people have contracted COVID-19 in the United States, and 533 people have died.
- Remarks by Vice President Pence in a Fox News Virtual Town Hall The White House 24 Mar 2020
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 24 Mar 2020
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in a Fox News Virtual Town Hall The White House 24 Mar 2020
- President Donald J. Trump Approves Iowa Disaster Declaration The White House 24 Mar 2020
- President Donald J. Trump Approves Louisiana Disaster Declaration The White House 24 Mar 2020
- Air Force Gen. Joseph L. Lengyel, Chief of the National Guard Bureau, Holds a News Conference at the Pentagon DoD 24 Mar 2020 -- Air Force Gen. Joseph L. Lengyel, chief of the National Guard Bureau
- Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark A. Milley, and Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman Ramón Colón-López Hold a Virtual Town Hall DoD 24 Mar 2020 -- Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper; Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Army General Mark Milley; Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Chief Master Sergeant Ramón "CZ" Colón-López
- Nearly 10,000 Guardsmen Called Up for COVID-19 Response DoD News 24 Mar 2020 -- Nearly 10,000 National Guardsmen called up across the United States, with more expected soon, are performing a variety of missions in response to COVID-19 pandemic response efforts.
- Briefing With Senior State Department Official On Updates on State Department's Response to COVID-19 US Dept. of State 24 Mar 2020
- Department of State's Global Effort To Bring Americans Home US Dept. of State 24 Mar 2020 -- The Department of State is rising to meet the historic challenge posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, every day, all over the world. We have no higher duty than to protect American citizens, and have launched an unprecedented global effort to bring home our citizens from every corner of the globe.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 24 Mar 2020 -- In an effort to minimize the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 and to prioritize the health and safety of Department of the Air Force personnel, the following modifications have been made:
- Three Pacific Fleet Sailors Test Positive for COVID-19 NNS 24 Mar 2020 -- A Sailor assigned to a San Diego, California-based squadron, a Sailor assigned to an Everett, Washington-based ship, and a Sailor assigned to a Pearl Harbor, Hawaii-based shore command tested positive for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Resolutions in US House, Senate Condemn China For Spreading Coronavirus Radio Free Asia 24 Mar 2020 -- Lawmakers from both chambers of the U.S. Congress introduced resolutions Tuesday condemning China's handling of the outbreak of coronavirus, with the Senate version calling for an international investigation to hold Beijing accountable for allowing the deadly virus to become a global pandemic.
- New York Could Face Coronavirus Peak in Early April VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- New York's governor warned Tuesday that the coronavirus could peak in his state of 19.5 million residents in early April – sooner than initially expected.
- Navy Reserve Arrives to Support USNS Mercy NNS 24 Mar 2020 -- Nearly 60 Navy Reserve medical professionals reported to the Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) March 22, to support Mercy's upcoming medical relief mission.
- A statement from Dr. Roper on COVID-19 US Air Force 24 Mar 2020 -- Like everyone, the entire acquisition workforce is dealing with unanticipated challenges of COVID-19.
- FAQ: COVID-19 Impacts to BMT and Technical Training US Air Force 24 Mar 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic is a dynamic and rapidly evolving situation.
- Trump Says Americans Want to Return to Work Amid Coronavirus Pandemic VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is poised to send the United States back to work within weeks, despite warnings from medical experts that might be premature to prevent an even wider spread of the COVID-19 virus.
- Fauci: Trump's Remarks Can Lead to 'Misunderstandings' VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- President Donald Trump's top disease expert says some of what Trump expresses in coronavirus briefings "could lead to some misunderstanding" about the facts.
- Americans Make Unprecedented Civil Liberties Concessions to Battle Coronavirus VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- The growing coronavirus pandemic has forced millions of Americans to make a once-in-a-lifetime tradeoff: temporarily relinquishing numerous individual rights to protect public health.
- Trump: 'More People Will Die' if COVID-19 Restrictions Aren't Lifted Sputnik 24 Mar 2020 -- The US president called on existing new coronavirus restrictions to be reassessed recently, suggesting that the cure to the disease should not be allowed to become worse than the problem itself.
- Guard helps medical professionals combat COVID-19 US Air Force 24 Mar 2020 -- From staffing informational phone banks to administering tests for COVID-19, many of the more than 9,000 National Guard members on duty in response to COVID-19 are assisting state and local medical professionals.
- Esper Lists DOD's Top Priorities During COVID-19 Pandemic DoD News 24 Mar 2020 -- Protecting the Defense Department's people, maintaining military readiness and supporting the whole-of-government interagency response are DOD's top three priorities amid the coronavirus pandemic, Defense Secretary Dr. Mark T. Esper said.
- Over 41,000 test positive for COVID-19 in U.S. People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said Monday that 313,000 coronavirus tests have been completed in the United States, and more than 41,000 tests were positive.
- US states desperate for coronavirus help as Trump eyes restriction ease Press TV 24 Mar 2020 -- A chorus of support to urge Americans to stay indoors is gathering more calls, with several more US governors ordering millions of people to stay home to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 24 Mar 2020
- Rush Transcript: Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces Distribution of Health Care Supplies to New York City, Long Island and Westchester Hospitals New York State 24 Mar 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 24 Mar 2020
- China Easing Lockdowns Amid Growing Fears Over Backlash Radio Free Asia 24 Mar 2020 -- Authorities in the central Chinese province of Hubei are gearing up to ease a lockdown on tens of millions of people, as one more case of COVID-19 is reported by health officials.
- China urges U.S. to stop politicizing COVID-19 People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- China urged the United States to stop politicizing COVID-19 and stigmatizing China, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang said Monday.
- Beijing continues to upgrade strictest measures against virus importation Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- The city of Beijing is going full throttle in the race against imported coronavirus cases to defend the epidemic fight results by upgrading quarantine measures on every international arrival to the city and lashing policy violators with legal punishments including entry-deny.
- Asymptomatic COVID19 infections will not cause spread in China: Chinese CDC Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- Experts from the Chinese Center for Diseases Prevention and Control (Chinese CDC) said asymptomatic COVID-19 infections will not cause further spreading, although the duration of its virus detoxification is longer than that of SARS.
- Cities receive overseas returnees with careful epidemic control measures Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- With the COVID-19 pandemic spreading globally, more Chinese students who study abroad have chosen to return to China by overcoming all difficulties.
- China vows legal punishment on violators of border health laws, regardless of nationality Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- Irrespective of their nationality or even if they are stateless, people who violate China's border health quarantine law will be punished, said China's top court and procuratorate officials, as the country is on high alert to prevent imported COVID-19 cases.
- Wuhan, Hubei to lift lockdown, signaling China's win over COVID-19 Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- Cities outside Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province, where the first confirmed coronavirus case was reported in the country, are scheduled to lift the outbound traffic control measures on Wednesday, and Wuhan will lift its lockdown on April 8, allowing local people to travel outside the province, given the visible progress in combating the coronavirus battle.
- China disposes of 182,000 tonnes of medical waste amid COVID-19 outbreak Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- China has disposed of 182,000 tonnes of medical waste since late January amid the fight against the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), according to the Ministry of Ecology and Environment (MEE).
- Wuhan to lift restrictions on outbound travelers Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- The Hubei Health Commission announced on Tuesday that residents in the central Chinese city of Wuhan would be allowed to travel outside the city starting April 8 in a bid to resume the outbound movement of people.
- Beijing adopts full quarantine and testing for inbound travelers Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- All people entering Beijing from overseas are requested to undergo quarantine for medical observations and take nucleic acid tests starting from Wednesday, the city said on Tuesday, responding to the increasing number of imported cases of the COVID-19.
- Wuhan doctor's infection ends five-day streak of zero new cases in city Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- Hubei Province's hopes for a sixth consecutive day of zero new infections were dashed on Tuesday, with news that a doctor in Wuhan had become the latest case, exposing the risks in local hospital outpatient services.
- Beijing and Shanghai report new local transmission from imported COVID-19 cases Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- Beijing and Shanghai reported one new locally transmitted COVID-19 case on Monday, respectively. It is the second and third local transmission of its kind, following one other case in Guangdong.
- Local confirmed case in Beijing shared stairway with imported patient from UK: Beijing CDC Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- In what is believed to be the first local patient infected by an imported case in Beijing, a man in the capital who recently tested positive for COVID-19 was likely infected by a confirmed patient who returned from the UK, as the two shared the same "polluted" stairway, Beijing's Center for Diseases Control and Prevention (Beijing CDC) said Tuesday.
- Shutdown of intl flights 'unlikely' in China despite risk of imported COVID-19 Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- With a surge of imported COVID-19 cases in China and two local infections transmitted from imported patients, calls for the suspension of all international flights have increased, but public health experts and aviation industry insiders noted that a complete shutdown is "unlikely and unnecessary."
- China offers global help in combating COVID-19 People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- President Xi Jinping and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson spoke over phone on Monday night and voiced support for the role of the World Health Organization (WHO) in the global fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- China helps with global fight against coronavirus People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- As COVID-19 cases soared worldwide, China, despite its own severe situation, has been actively offering medical aid and sharing prevention and treatment experience to help curb the novel coronavirus spread.
- Macao to tighten entry policy for non-residents over COVID-19 People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- Macao authorities will further tighten the entry policy to curb imported COVID-19 infections, the Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR)'s chief executive said on Tuesday, after Hong Kong's similar upgrading of entry policy.
- Beijing reports 4 imported COVID-19 cases in 12 hours People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- Beijing reported four newly confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from other countries over the past 12 hours by Tuesday noon, according to the municipal health commission.
- Shanghai reports one local COVID-19 patient infected by imported case People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- Shanghai on Monday reported its first local patient of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) infected by an imported case, as well as nine cases from other countries, the municipal health authority said Tuesday.
- Beijing reports 32 new confirmed COVID-19 cases including one local infection People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- Beijing reported 32 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Monday, including one indigenous case infected by an imported patient, local health commission said Tuesday.
- Beijing demands quarantine, nucleic acid testing for all overseas arrivals People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- The Chinese capital Beijing has demanded all arrivals from overseas to undergo concentrated quarantine and nucleic acid testing (NAT) starting from Wednesday as the number of imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues to increase.
- China's Wuhan reports one new COVID-19 case in six days People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- One new confirmed case of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) was reported Monday in Wuhan after the former hardest-hit city had seen zero new reports for five consecutive days.
- Beijing conducts at least 2 rounds of temperature checks on inbound passengers People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- Body temperature screenings are conducted at least twice on inbound passengers in Beijing to abate risks of imported cases of COVID-19, local authorities said Monday.
- China's Wuhan reports no new infections for five consecutive days: official People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- Wuhan, the Chinese city hardest-hit by the COVID-19 epidemic, Monday marked its fifth day in a row of zero new confirmed cases, a Chinese health official said Monday.
- China reports 78 coronavirus cases, sparking fears of 2nd wave +World updates Press TV 24 Mar 2020 -- China has registered 78 new cases of coronavirus infection, most of them imported from abroad, sparking concerns about a second wave of infections in the country.
- EU Commission Warns of Increased Cybercrime During Coronavirus Crisis VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- The president of the European Commission is warning EU citizens to beware of on-line scams, particularly for counterfeit medical products and medicines during the coronavirus crisis.
- European Governments Shrug Off Brussels on Coronavirus VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- Rising coronavirus infections aren't only testing Europe's national governments to their limits but also straining European Union solidarity with the governments of member states shrugging off pleas for greater coordination.
- UK introduces stricter measures to fight COVID-19 People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced Monday evening a series of measures that aim to restrict social contact in the country in a bid to curb the spread of COVID-19.
- Coronavirus crisis in UK is more about social and security challenges than public health Press TV 24 Mar 2020 -- As the UK sinks deeper into crisis over the coronavirus pandemic, there are growing fears of a breakdown in law and order and broader acute security challenges.
- UK Announces the Highest Death toll of Coronavirus in One Day SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The health authorities in the United Kingdom announced today the highest death toll of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in one day with 87 deaths, bringing to 422 the number of deaths among those who tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country.
- Italy expects 210,000 COVID-19 infections by mid-April: research team Global Times 24 Mar 2020 -- Italy is likely to see 210,000 coronavirus (COVID-19) infections by mid-April, said a research team at China's Tsinghua University, emphasizing the country's infection rate could taper later than the date if it doesn't improve quarantine measures, or continues to neglect patients and suspected carriers.
- Italy registers 63,927 coronavirus cases, day-to-day slowdown of deaths People's Daily 24 Mar 2020 -- A total of 63,927 coronavirus cases have been assessed in Italy since the pandemic broke out in its northern regions on Feb. 21, the Civil Protection Department managing the COVID-19 emergency said on Monday.
- Italy's Veneto Region to Test Everyone for Coronavirus VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- In Italy, the Veneto region has initiated mass screening of citizens to find asymptomatic carriers of coronavirus. The action follows mass screening in a single town that has had no new cases since March 13.
- Hard-Hit Italy Sees Slowing of New Coronavirus Cases, Deaths VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- Italy, which has suffered by far the deadliest consequences of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported Tuesday a third consecutive day in which its daily deaths and new infections declined.
- Swiss coronavirus cases top 8,800, with 86 deaths - health agency SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The number of confirmed cases in Switzerland of infections with the new coronavirus has risen to 8,836 people by midday on Tuesday from the 8,060 reported on Monday, the Federal Office of Public Health said, according to Reuters.
- Spain reports 6,600 new coronavirus cases overnight, over 500 dead SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The number of new coronavirus cases in Spain jumped on Tuesday to 39,673 from 33,089 cases registered on Monday, the health ministry reported on Tuesday, according to Reuters.
- Accused Of Downplaying COVID-19 Figures, Kremlin Clamps Down On 'Fake News' RFE/RL 24 Mar 2020 -- On March 16, the day Russia recorded a spike in coronavirus cases and officials began urging the population not to panic, political analyst and Kremlin critic Valery Solovei made a guest appearance on the radio station Ekho Moskvy.
- Meeting on measures to fight coronavirus spread in Russia President of Russia 24 Mar 2020 -- The President held a meeting on measures to fight the spread of the coronavirus in Russia.
- What Exactly Is Going On With Russia's Low Coronavirus Numbers? RFE/RL 24 Mar 2020 -- A woman, a 69-year-old Muscovite, died on March 24 at a clinic in the Russian capital specializing in treatment of the coronavirus. Authorities said she died of cancer that she had been battling, not the disease that has been ravaging the world.
- PM calls for complete lockdown of entire nation for 21 days - PM addresses the nation on COVID-19 India PIB 24 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi called for a complete lockdown of the entire nation for the next 21 days beginning at midnight tonight in an effort to contain the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Text of PM's address to the nation on Vital aspects relating to the menace of COVID-19 India PIB 24 Mar 2020
- States Briefed on Lockdown Measures and Guidelines including exemptions to contain the COVID-19 Epidemic in the country India PIB 24 Mar 2020 -- The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, in exercise of the powers under the National Disaster Management Act, 2005, has issued an Order today, directing the Ministries/ Departments of Government of India, and the State/Union Territory Governments and State/ Union Territory Authorities to take effective measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the country.
- UPDATE on COVID-19 India PIB 24 Mar 2020 -- The prevention, containment and management of COVID-19 in the country are being monitored at the highest level and various actions have been initiated in collaboration with the States.
- India Goes into Complete Lockdown to Combat Coronavirus VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- India imposed a three-week nationwide lockdown from midnight on Tuesday, banning people from leaving their homes as it scrambled to break the chain of transmission of coronavirus in the country.
- India Imposes Lockdown to Combat COVID-19 SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- India authorities imposed today a lockdown for three weeks to combat the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Indian Prime Minister Announces 21-Day Complete Lockdown To Contain the Spread of Coronavirus Sputnik 24 Mar 2020 -- With the positive number of cases reaching 500 on Tuesday, India is taking strong measures to control the spread of COVID19. The government has directed authorities to ensure the strict implementation of its orders.
- India Gets First Domestic COVID-19 Test Kits Sputnik 24 Mar 2020 -- India has declared a country-wide lockdown to contain the spread of coronavirus. While 492 people have tested positive for the illness in India, experts have been saying the number would be much more if wide-scale tests were conducted.
- COVID-19: Lockdown across India, in line with WHO guidance UN News 24 Mar 2020 -- India's decision to impose a 21-day lockdown, which was announced on Tuesday, comes after a call from the UN health agency, WHO, for the country to take "aggressive action".
- Social-Distance Disregard: Iranians Criticize Big Funeral For Revolutionary Guard Leader RFE/RL 24 Mar 2020 -- A large funeral procession held near Tehran for a former commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) has caused outrage with its apparent disregard for the deadly coronavirus pandemic that is raging across Iran.
- Calls Grow For U.S. To Lift Iran Sanctions Due To Coronavirus Crisis RFE/RL 24 Mar 2020 -- There are increased calls for the United States to suspend economic sanctions against Iran, which some believe hamper Tehran's ability to contain the deadly outbreak of coronavirus that has officially killed nearly 2,000 people.
- President Rouhani: Hospital check-ins, deaths caused by coronavirus declining IRNA 24 Mar 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that the number of people hospitalized and deaths due to the coronavirus are decreasing in Iran, which show important measures have been taken.
- Iran's coronavirus death toll hits 1,934 IRNA 24 Mar 2020 -- The head of Iran's Health Ministry Public Relations Office said on Tuesday that 8,913 people out of a total of 24,811 infected by the coronavirus have survived the deadly disease while 1,934 have lost their lives to it.
- Iran screens 41 million for coronavirus symptoms Press TV 24 Mar 2020 -- Iran says it has screened more than 41 million people for the new coronavirus symptoms as part of the measures that Tehran is taking to rein in the spread of a new coronavirus across the country.
- Iran extends prisoners' furloughs amid virus fight Press TV 24 Mar 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has announced an extension to the furloughs granted earlier this month to tens of thousands of prisoners as a preventative measure aimed at stopping the spread of the new coronavirus.
- Indonesia reports biggest daily rise in coronavirus cases SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- Indonesia on Tuesday confirmed 107 new coronavirus cases, the biggest daily increase to date in the Southeast Asian country, bringing the total number of cases to 686, Health Ministry official Achmad Yurianto said on Tuesday, according to Reuters.
- Indonesia Coronavirus Measures Looser Than Neighbors Despite More Fatalities VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- Indonesia has the highest number of fatalities caused by the coronavirus in Southeast Asia, but it has not followed its neighbors that have issued travel bans, tested widely for the virus, and urged citizens to stay home from work and school nationwide.
- Coronavirus Cases Rise to 918 in Pakistan SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The Pakistani authorities announced today that the number of cases of Coronavirus in Pakistan rose to 918.
- Pakistan Confirms 1st Prisoner with COVID-19 in Crowded Jail VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- Officials in Pakistan Tuesday confirmed the country's first coronavirus case among thousands of inmates in an overcrowded prison facility, saying the person had been arrested on drug charges in Italy before his recent deportation.
- Pakistan Cuts Interest Rates, Sets $6 Billion To Offset Economic Impact Of Virus RFE/RL 24 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan has announced a financial-relief package of some $6 billion and cut its benchmark interest rate for the second time in a week in an effort to counter the divesting effects of the coronavirus pandemic on the economy.
- South Korea: New coronavirus cases still low, imported cases increase SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- Imported cases of the new coronavirus in South Korea jumped from 47 to 67, Korea's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said on Tuesday, as overall infections increased by just 76 over the past day, according to dpa.
- Two New Coronavirus Cases Confirmed in Kuwait SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The Kuwaiti Ministry of Health has announced two confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) during the past 24 hours, bringing the number of infections in the country to 191.
- Kuwait: Nine people recover from coronavirus SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- Kuwait announced Tuesday the recovery of nine people who were infected with coronavirus.
- Thailand Reports 106 New Coronavirus Cases, 3 Deaths SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- Thailand reported today 106 novel coronavirus infections, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 827, and three more deaths of coronavirus, increasing the toll to four deaths.
- Thailand Declares State of Emergency VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- Thailand's government announced plans Tuesday to declare a state of emergency, taking stricter measures to control the coronavirus outbreak that has infected hundreds of people in the Southeast Asian country.
- Laos Announces its First COVID-19 Case SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The Republic of Laos announced today its first two cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), becoming South-East Asian last country to announce having incurred the virus.
- Laos Confirms First Two Cases of Coronavirus as Pandemic Grips Southeast Asia Radio Free Asia 24 Mar 2020 -- Laos confirmed its first two cases of the coronavirus, the Ministry of Health announced Tuesday, becoming the final Southeast Asian nation to officially record an infection within its borders after Myanmar reported two patients a day earlier.
- Government unveils further COVID-19 response measures CNA 24 Mar 2020 -- The government has been rolling out a slew of measures to counter the economic impact of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, including providing compensation, subsidies and tax breaks for businesses, individuals and organizations affected by the disease.
- Taiwan adds 20 new COVID-19 cases, bringing total to 215 CNA 24 Mar 2020 -- Twenty new cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were confirmed in Taiwan Tuesday, bringing the total to 215 since the pandemic began, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said that day.
- CECC announces new local COVID-19 case, bringing total to 216 CNA 24 Mar 2020 -- A French graduate student at a northern Taiwan university has been confirmed as the country's latest COVID-19 coronavirus case, bringing Taiwan's total number of cases to 216, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced late Tuesday.
- Officials give contradictory update on return of Taiwanese in Hubei CNA 24 Mar 2020 -- Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) and Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) head Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) on Tuesday provided conflicting information on how Taiwanese in the Chinese province of Hubei can return home once the province-wide lockdown is lifted on Wednesday.
- Taiwan defends relatively limited COVID-19 testing CNA 24 Mar 2020 -- Amid doubts over the relatively low number of COVID-19 tests being done by Taiwan, Vice President Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) has defended Taiwan's practices, saying large volumes of tests are only needed when sources of infection cannot be traced.
- At least two more months needed to contain COVID-19 outbreak: VP CNA 24 Mar 2020 -- It will take at least another two months to contain the surging new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak worldwide, Vice President Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) predicted during an exclusive interview with CNA on Tuesday.
- Ease sanctions against countries fighting COVID-19: UN human rights chief UN News 24 Mar 2020 -- As the COVID-19 pandemic progresses, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights on Tuesday called for an easing of sanctions against countries such as Iran to allow their medical systems to fight the disease and limit its global spread.
- COVID-19: Olympics Postponed As Moscow Mayor Warns Virus Worse In Russia Than Official Data RFE/RL 24 Mar 2020 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says he and International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach have agreed to put off the Tokyo 2020 Games for one year as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Coronavirus Cases Rise to 316 in Iraq SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- Iraq reported 50 new cases of Coronavirus during the past 24 hours, bringing to 316 the total number of the virus-infected patients.
- Sudan Reports New Coronavirus Case for Sudanese National Coming from an Arab Country SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- Sudanese Minister of Culture and Information Faisal Mohammed Saleh, who is also Spokesperson for the Sudanese Government, announced today that a Sudanese national coming from an Arab country, which he did not disclose, contracted Coronavirus.
- Bahrain Announces Death of Bahraini National from Coronavirus SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The Bahraini Ministry of Health announced today the death of a 65-year-old male Bahraini national who was suffering from chronic health problems, crowned by an active case of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Coronavirus Cases Rise to 114 in Tunisia SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- Tunisia reported today 25 new cases of Coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases in Tunisia to 114.
- Malaysia reports 106 new coronavirus cases; total at 1,624 SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- Malaysia reported 106 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, taking the total to 1,624, with 15 deaths.
- Philippines reports 90 new coronavirus infections, two deaths SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The Philippine health ministry reported 90 new coronavirus infections on Tuesday, the single largest daily increase of confirmed cases in the country, bringing the total to 552, Reuters reported.
- Gambia, Nigeria see first Covid-19 deaths; S Africa to enter lockdown SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The West African nations of Gambia and Nigeria on Monday recorded their first Covid-19 deaths, while the number of all coronavirus cases surpassed 1,000 on the African continent, dpa reported.
- 45 new COVID/19 cases confirmed in UAE SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates Government has announced 45 new cases of COVID-19.
- Omani Health Ministry Reports 18 New Cases of Coronavirus SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The Omani Ministry of Health has reported 18 new cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the number of infections in the country to 84.
- Enable 'all out effort' to counter COVID-19 in war-ravaged Syria, urges top UN envoy UN News 24 Mar 2020 -- The top United Nations envoy in Syria called on Tuesday for an immediate country-wide truce, allowing citizens to save lives and tackle the common threat presented by the COVID-19 coronavirus.
- Botswana, with No COVID-19 Cases, Closes Borders After Death in Zimbabwe VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- Botswana, one of the few countries in Africa without a confirmed case of coronavirus, has moved to secure its borders after neighboring Zimbabwe recorded its first coronavirus-related death on Monday. Soldiers will be watching border crossings, but authorities say Zimbabweans who use unauthorized entry points present a real challenge.
- Cuba Works to Slow Coronavirus Spread VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- Cuba is launching its most restrictive measures Tuesday to stop the spread of the coronavirus- banning citizens from leaving the island without authorization and placing foreign tourists under quarantine.
- Australian States Close Borders as COVID-19 Threat Intensifies VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- Australian states are closing their borders Tuesday in a bid to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Western Australia, South Australia and the Northern Territory will grant quarantine-free entry to only essential workers from other parts of the country. There are more than 2,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Australia. So far, eight people have died.
- IMF Warns of Economic Calamity in Middle East from Coronavirus Pandemic VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- The International Monetary Fund is urging governments in the Middle East to take immediate action to blunt a likely economic setback that could arise from the novel coronavirus pandemic.
- Brazil's Governor Orders 2 Week Quarantine VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- Sao Paulo state in Brazil begins a two-week quarantine Tuesday, on the order of Governor Joao Doria.
- 'Psychosis'? Lukashenka Shrugs, Opponents Are Appalled By Lack Of COVID-19 Measures In Belarus RFE/RL 24 Mar 2020 -- In the global struggle against the coronavirus, Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka stands out, not for what he has done but for what he hasn't.
- Coronavirus Further Complicates Life At Line Of Contact In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 24 Mar 2020 -- The global crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic has been acutely felt in eastern Ukraine, where the line of contact between government-controlled territory and regions held by Russia-backed separatist formations has become even more complicated than usual.
- Myanmar Boosts Travel Restrictions, Locks Down Village, After First COVID-19 Cases Radio Free Asia 24 Mar 2020 -- Myanmar has locked down a village in Chin state where the country's first confirmed coronavirus patient had stayed, while a second person who has tested positive was moved to an infectious disease hospital in Yangon, health authorities and a local lawmaker said Tuesday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|