UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Military


Il-14

The IL-6 was the last bomber built with piston engines by the team of SV Ilyushin. However, work on various projects of such aircraft continued in the OKB for quite some time. One of them was the design of the original high-speed bomber Il-14 (the first aircraft under this designation), intended for the replacement of the IL-4 and capable of exceeding the speed of 700 km / h. Work on it began in the spring of 1944. On July 12 of the same year, SV Ilyushin signed the general view of the first version of this aircraft.

The IL-14 was initially designed as a two-seater (pilot and navigator), according to the high-wing scheme with a wing of a large elongation, with four AM-43 liquid-cooled engines AA Mikulin, which were installed in tandem at the ends of the center wing: two with pulling and two with propellers. The water and oil coolers of the engine cooling and lubrication system were placed in the toe of the wing center wing, due to which it had an influx from the side of the fuselage to the nacelle.

On the Il-14 bomber it was planned to install a chassis with a nose wheel. The front pillar was to be retracted back to the fuselage, and the main pillars were in the nacelle. To prevent the ends of the rear propellers from touching the ground surface during take-off, the tail section of the fuselage had to have an additional chassis frame with a wheel, which in the released position at a normal angle of attack during takeoff and landing did not touch the ground. The installation of defensive weapons was not envisaged; it was assumed that the best defense would be a high speed aircraft.

On 19 July 1944 the project was sent to the NKAP and the Air Force. Military specialists suggested that it be finalized by providing for the installation of defensive and offensive weapons on the aircraft. Maintaining the basic layout solutions of the first option, the design bureau carried out the specification of the project. In the new version, the aircraft had the same high-altitude scheme with four AM-43NV engines installed in a tandem. The takeoff power of each engine was 2460 hp. The wing had a large specific load on the area equal to 257 kg / m and an elongation of 9.25.

The crew now consisted of four people. The pilot and navigator were located one after another under one lantern: the pilot in front, and the navigator behind and a little to the right. In case of need, the navigator could help the pilot and even replace him. Simultaneously, drawings of the cabin were developed with the placement of two pilots side by side. In the middle of the fuselage, there was a cockpit-radio operator and an air-gun with upper and lower mobile guns. The front hemisphere of the plane was protected by a stationary gun, the pilot was driving a fire from it. The dimensions of the fuselage bomb bay were calculated to accommodate one bomb weighing 2,000 kg or 2,500 kg of bombs of a smaller caliber. An external suspension of two bombs of 1000 kg was envisaged.

With a normal flight weight of 22,400 kg, the bomber had to develop a speed of 760 km / h at an altitude of 9,300 m and with a bomb load of 2,000 kg to have a range of 2,000 km at a cruising speed of 500 km / h. The maximum take-off weight of the aircraft was 25,000 kg, the flight range from 2000 kg of bombs was 2500 km.

Studies in the wind tunnels of TsAGI have confirmed the possibility of achieving such high computational data. In the beginning of 1945, working drawings were issued, and then, in accordance with the plan for the experimental construction of the NKAP in 1945, the construction of an experimental machine began. The State Mock-up Commission for the aircraft took place on June 8, 1945. After acquaintance with the drawings, schemes and inspection of the Il-14 under construction, the commission approved the aircraft as a whole, but recommended completion of its construction in a variant with a two-seater cabin of pilots sitting side by side, to increase ammunition of defensive weapons and install paired guns to protect the rear hemisphere, with guns at the top and bottom should provide a round-fire.

Despite the positive conclusion of the military, in connection with the end of World War II, the construction of an experimental IL-14 aircraft was stopped. Raul Colon wrote that "Actual work on a prototype Il-14 began in the summer of 1945, but after several months, inexplicably, work ceased of the program. A year later, the Il-14 program was officially canceled. No reasonable explanation had ever been made available for the 14 demise."

In the spring of 1946, after a well-known speech by Churchill in Fulton, delivered in the presence of US President Truman and proclaiming the beginning of the "cold war," an attempt was made to develop a heavy fighter with radar equipment and powerful offensive Armament consisting of two cannons of caliber 45 mm with a total ammunition of 400 rounds. The aircraft was designed to repel massive raids of heavy bombers such as Boeing B-29 and B-50, which were in service with the US Air Force. But the government of the USSR made a bet on the creation of a more promising defensive weapon - anti-aircraft guided missiles.

Design specifications
power plant 4 engines AM-43NV for 2460 hp,
wing area 83.8 m,
crew 4 people,
maximum take-off weight 22250 kg,
maximum speed 760 km / h,
ceiling 12500 m,
range of flight 2500 km (at a speed of 500 km / h with a bomb load of 2000 kg),
take-off run 560 m,
landing speed 145 km / h,
armament
  • 1 cannon 23 mm,
  • 2 cannons 20 mm ,
  • up to 2500 kg of bombs.



  • NEWSLETTER
    Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



     
    Page last modified: 12-09-2018 18:50:10 ZULU