Boris Evstafevich ButomaBoris Evstafievich Butoma was a Soviet shipbuilder, state and party leader, a major organizer of production, the chairman of the State Committee of the Council of Ministers on shipbuilding - Minister of the USSR, doctor of technical sciences, professor.
Butoma was born on April 28 (May 11), 1907 in the port city of Petrovsk (now - the city of Makhachkala of Dagestan) into a family of the middle class Ukrainians. He began his career in 1920 as a metal mechanic at a shipyard in the city of Sevastopol (Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic), where he worked until 1932. In 1936 he graduated from the Leningrad Shipbuilding Institute, specializing in "Engineer Ship."
In 1936-1944 he worked in the city of Vladivostok on the shipyard number 202 (now - JSC "CA" Dalzavod ") in the following positions: wizard, commissioning engineer, builder of ships responsible deliverer destroyer project number 7, head of the plant and the Deputy Chief Engineer Plant. He took an active part in the development of unique projects icebreaking ships sailing to the Northern Sea Route. In 1942 he was included in the expedition of the wiring built ships in the Far East to the North and Baltic Sea.
In 1944-1948 he worked at the Zelenodolsk shipyard in the number of 340 (now - JSC "Zelenodolsk Plant named after AM Gorky"), the chief engineer, and then director.
From July 1948 he was Head of the 3rd Main Directorate, and from September 1949 head of the 9th Main Department of the Ministry of the Shipbuilding Industry of the USSR. In 1952-1953 and 1954-1957 he was Deputy Minister of Shipbuilding Industry of the USSR. From March 1953 to April 1954 he was Head of the 4th Main Directorate of the Ministry of transport and heavy machinery of the USSR (created March 16, 1953 on the basis of the four ministries; disbanded April 26, 1954).
From December 14 1957 to March 13, 1963 Butoma was Chairman of the State Committee on Shipbuilding of the USSR Council of Ministers. By Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of 23 July 1959 (with the stamp "Not to be published"), for outstanding achievements and submitted a large contribution to the performance of tasks of the government to establish special equipment, Booth Boris Evstafievich was awarded the title Hero of Socialist Labor, the Order of Lenin and Gold medal "Hammer and Sickle."
VPK members in March 1958 included the following "ministers": K.N.Rudnev (Defense Technology), P.V.Dementyev (Aviation Technology), V.D.Kalmykov (Radio-Technical Industry), and B.Ye.Butoma (Ship Building). In addition, V. M. Ryabikov (Deputy Chairman, RSFSR Council of Ministers) and M.I.Nedelin (Deputy Minister of Defense for Reactive Armaments [ir,rockets]) were also members. The commission had one First Deputy Chairman (S.I.Vetoshkin) and two Deputy Chairmen (G.N.Pashkovand and G.A.Titov). Finally, P.N. Shchukin, a respectedradar expert, headed a "Scientific-Technical Council." which, among other things, approved new members of the commission.
From March 13, 1963 to March 2, 1965 Butoma as Chairman of the State Committee for Shipbuilding of the USSR. From 2 March 1965 to July 11, 1976 Butoma was Minister of Shipbuilding Industry of the USSR.
The name B.E.Butomy defined the whole epoch of Russian military shipbuilding, which is similar to the history of the Soviet Navy. This period saw the formation of new types and classes of warships, whose representatives were conceived and constructed in the "era of Butoma" are today in naval ranks. It was then that the fleet of the USSR went to the ocean.
He paid much attention to the development of shipbuilding and ship repair companies, preparing them for the creation of nuclear submarines and missile carriers. He was responsible for construction of the first nuclear submarine of Project 627 and the first nuclear missile submarine Project V611. HE also made a significant contribution to the organization of building nuclear submarines of the 2nd generation in the reconstruction of enterprises in 1970 and the preparations for the construction of nuclear submarines of the 3rd generation.
Butoma as a member of the CPSU (B) / Communist Party since 1928. Alternate member (1961; XXII Congress of the CPSU) and member (1966; XXIII Congress of the CPSU) Central Committee. Deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR 6-8-th convocation (in years 1962-1974).
He lived and worked in the hero-city of Moscow. Died July 11, 1976. He was buried at Novodevichy Cemetery in Moscow.
He was awarded five Orders of Lenin (07.23.1959, 1961, 1963, 04/30/1967, 1971), Stalin (1949), two Orders of Red Banner of Labor (1945, 1966), medals and orders and medals of foreign countries. Butoma was a Doctor of Technical Sciences, and professor.
His name was given to the avenue in the city of Severodvinsk (in 1978), the streets in the cities of Kaluga and Nikolaev (Ukraine), square in the city of Sevastopol (Ukraine), the tanker Pacific Fleet. On the territory of "Dalzavod" in Vladivostok, May 5, 1982, a monument in his honor (sculptor S.A.Kolpin). New tankers and other large ships are built at the Kerch "Zaliv" Shipyard imeni B.Butoma.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|