96L6 / 96L6E - CHEESE BOARD Radar
Unveiled at the MAKS'97 exhibition in August 1997, the S-300PMU2 Favorit represents a thorough modification of the S-300PMU1. The first tests were performed on 10 August 1995 at the Kapustin Yar firing range. One new element is the entirely new 96L6E autonomous mobile radar, which works in conjunction with the 83M6E2 control post and S-300MPU2 launchers.
The Lianozovo Electromechanical Plant and the Lira KB design bureau displayed a model of their 96L6 radar vehicle at the IDEX '97 exhibition. The phased-array centrimetric system is mounted on a MAZ-7930 (8x8) truck chassis and is intended for use with the S-300PMU and S-300PMU1 air defence systems as an upgrade to replace several existing radar's with a single more capable system. The 96L6 can function as a low-altitude detection set surveillance radar and as a battery command post. The maximum detection range is 300 km and it can track up to 100 targets simultaneously at speeds between 30 to 2,750 m/s. If required, the radar antenna assembly can be fitted to a 40V6M tower unit for better low-altitude coverage. The 96L3 is considered an all-weather all-altitude radar system.
The 96L6E all-altitude radar is designed for detecting, determining the state nationality, identification of classes, locking-on and tracking the routes of air targets, outputting target designation and three-coordinate information about all detected air targets to the users over the radio channel and/or fiber-optics communication link. The procedure of radar data transmitting to the user is specified by coordinated interface protocol, and under hardware control by the method of replacement of reprogrammed interface cards. The radar can be used in composition of the systems S-300 PMU, S-300 PMU-FAVORIT, including combat operations conducted by one battalion and combining the functions of the low-altitude radar, surveillance radar and command post, as well as in radio-engineering and air-defence subunits as a combat-mode radar.
The 96L6E "All-Altitude Detector" was developed and produced by the concern Almaz-Antey Air Defense. The first public display of the radar 96?6? was held at the MAKS-2001 air show in Ramenskoye. State tests of the radar 96L6E successfully completed in 2005. The radar 96L6 was commissioned by the aerospace defense forces of Russia by Order of the Minister of Defense in 2008. Serial production of the radar complex has been conducted by the Lianozovo Electromechanical Plant (NPO LEMZ OJSC) since 2007.
The 96L6 complex is a circular radar with an all-wheel-drive azimuth multi-beam antenna array providing beam scanning in an elevation plane, automatically provides information about the air situation for a wide class of aerodynamic targets such as airplanes, helicopters and UAVs at altitudes up to 100 km with target designation of air defense missile systems and air defense missiles .
Radar 96L6E provides:
- Overview of the specified detection zones and automatic selection of priority targets for the alignment of routes;
- avtozakhvat on autotracking of trails targets (bearings) with the assignment of numbers;
- recognition of the nationality of the objectives;
- automatic selection of top-priority targets for issuing DD on the RPN;
- automatic delivery of target coordinates to the RPN, followed by the RPN, to provide coordinate support;
- recognition of 4 classes of targets - airplanes, helicopters, UAVs and missiles.
Antenna post radar can be installed on a special tower to detect targets at extremely low altitudes, as well as in forest and rough terrain. Radar 96L6E are included in the ZRS S-300PMU1, S-300PMU2, S-400 batteries, and can also be interfaced with command centers of the Baikal-1E type control system, Senezh-M1E or KP RTV of the Osnova-1E type, Field-E and others. The radar provides the issuance of three coordinates of the targets - azimuth, elevation and range.
Deliveries of the radar in single copies have been conducted since 2008. All 96-C and S-400 brigade systems of the East-Kazakhstan region should receive radar 96L6.
Radar 96L6E is performed in two versions - on one and on two transport units. The composition of the radar 96?6? on one transport unit:
- Antenna device 966AA01E;
- container 966FF03E with receiving and transmitting equipment, information processing equipment, operator’s workplace, communication equipment and state identification system, ZIP-0 set;
- transport vehicle TM966E based on the chassis of the MZKT-7930 with an autonomous power supply system BOT-2L based on a generator with power take-off from the chassis engine;
- set of cables.
The composition of the radar 96?6? on two transport units:
- antenna post 966??00? / 96?6?? - auto train consisting of an auto tractor and a semi-trailer, on which the antenna device 966??01?, autonomous power supply system ???-75 / ???-75?, a set of cables are placed;
- 966 FEF00E hardware post - an auto train consisting of an auto tractor and a semi-trailer on which the 966 FFP03E container with the autonomous power supply system SES-75 / SES-75M is placed. The version 96L6E on two transport units allows separation to the positions of the antenna and hardware posts up to 100 m.
|Types of||Phased array radar|
|manufacturer||at least 20 years. Full resource of work to 25 000-30 000 hours in view of capital repairs. The service life before the first overhaul is at least 10 years, the service life is 12,000 hours.|
|Service time||at least 20 years. Full resource of work to 25 000-30 000 hours in view of capital repairs. The service life before the first overhaul is at least 10 years, the service life is 12,000 hours.|
|Discovery distance||5-300 km|
|target speed||30-2800 m/s|
|Identify tracking distance|
|Scan azimuth|| ||Scan elevation||Band|| C band
||Wavelength|| Centimetric ||frequency||Pulse repetition time||Pulse repetition frequency||bandwidth||Receiving time||Stop time||Track target number|| >100||Rate of updating of the information: ||- In the bottom zone||6 ||- In average and top zones||12 ||Antenna revolutions||Peak power||Average power||operator|| 3||The available Time from a march, ||5 minutes||Radar deployment time|| < 3 minutes||Radar boot time|| < 40 seconds||Variants|
can be towed by the KrAZ-260 vehicle or pulled by the MAZ-7930 vehicle
40V6M semi-trailer with an elevated height of 23.8 meters.
40V6MD semi-trailer with an elevated height of 38.8 meters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|