Project 1130 Chumikan - Ship Measuring Complex (KIK)
The rather handsome vessels of Ship Measuring Complex (KIK) Project 1130 were converted in Leningrad and Kronstadt, were classified as expeditionary oceanographic ships (EOK) I rank. They got new names - "Chazhma" and "Chumikan". After the first successful tests of the ICBMs, the scope of work necessary for the development of a new military component — the strategic missile component — and for maintaining parity with the Americans became extremely clear. The first expeditions of ships to the ocean showed that they simply did not have time reserves for replenishing supplies, replacing crews, repairs and rest.
The decision on TOGE-5 was typical: to buy ready-made bulk carriers of increased seaworthiness, to convert them in Leningrad and overtake to the Kamchatka River by the Northern Sea Route . Then much was already clear in the necessary design of the ships: both the type of the hull and the set of electronic components. The choice fell on the German shipyards.
The USSR Ministry of Shipbuilding Industry transferred the newly constructed ore carriers Dangara and Dudinka for conversion to TsKB-17 (chief designer AE Mikhailov, deputies FK Suderevsky and I. M. Fomin). These were converted from Dzhankoy Type bulk ore/coal carriers: Chazhma (ex- Dangara) in Leningrad, Baltiyskiy Shipyard named after S.Ordzhonikidze 8.02.1962-20.07.1963, Chumikan (ex- Dudinka) «Kromshtadskiy Shipyard» 14.06.1963. The conversion was completed in June 1963, mooring trials and inclining demagnetization held from May 31 to July 6, the acceptance tests completed July 21, 1963.
The ships had 80 berths for officers, 40 for midshipmen and 195 for sailors. The hull consisted of 205 frames with a spacing of 600-700 mm, had 12 watertight bulkheads, and provided 2-shut-off unsinkability. The mover is a 4-blade screw with a diameter of 5 m. It provided the highest speed of 15 knots. Diesel fuel stocks amounted to 1760 tons, fuel oil - 1800 tons, drinking water - 60, wash water - 290, boiler room - 70 tons. It should be said that the new CFCs purchased devices for receiving (transmitting) fuel on the go, which was not the case on old projects. Two Hall anchors weighing 4 tons each on chains 300 m long and 53 mm caliber and the Admiralty anchor weighing 1.25 tons. The ship’s energy was supplemented by three 600 kW diesel generators and three 300 kW each. Means of telemetry and trajectory measurements were quite typical of expedition ships. They were supplemented by a new stabilization system “Penguin” and SEV “Cypress”.
Due to the need to ensure the transition to a permanent place of vessels based in the Northern Sea Route navigation 1963 duration running tests reduced to a week (instead of four for the test program). According to tests the speed of the full ships remained virtually unchanged, increased cruising range of up to 19 000 miles, autonomy provisions on stocks - up to 120 days. The total capacity of the diesel generator was 2400 kW.
The ships received more powerful electronic weapons. Attention was drawn to the Vyaz communication antennas and the white ball-shaped dome above the Arbat station. The ships received a powerful diesel engine at that time and a new Angara radar. Significantly increased the number of electronic intelligence equipment.
From July 23 to October 5, 1963, the Chazhma and Chumikana Severny transitions took place by sea, moreover, they traveled part of the way led by the icebreakers Leningrad and Krasin, and then they were supplemented by the atomic icebreaker Lenin . They were not alone — there were 11 vessels in the convoy. The ice situation was difficult, sometimes in a day only 10-12 miles were passed. On October 5, 1963 the two ships of the second measuring complex, passing the Northern Sea Route, arrived in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, and soon with the EOC "Chukotka" began to combat duty in the Pacific. The entry of these ships of the Navy of the USSR confirmed the great contribution to the creation of Baltic nuclear-missile shield in the country and development of outer space.
On the account of these very seaworthy ships are significant events in the history of the fleet. In 1975, CIC Chazhma conducted reconnaissance on attempts by the US Navy to lift the Soviet nuclear boat K-129 , which was lost under unclear circumstances, using the Glomar Explorer platform platform vessel. In 1970, CIC Chumikan was involved in the operation to rescue the US spacecraft Apollo 13. Chumikan "appeared" in the Western press after test launches of the prototype of the unique reusable BOR ship in 1982-1983.
On 21 June 1996 CIC "Chumikan" went under its own power on an even keel to the dry shore of the port of Alang. Before that, he broke the anchor off the coast of India and restored it for two days. The last ship from a series of ore carriers that became warships, having honestly served more than 30 years, ceased to exist.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|