In order to enhance the operational capability of Naval ships. Government sanctioned, in March 1985, construction of a tanker by a public sector undertaking (PSU) at an estimated cost of Rs 65 crores. While seeking the approval of Government, Ministry of Defence (Ministry) had stated that PSU had the requisite expertise and spare capacity for construction of the tanker. A contract for construction of the tanker on 'cost plus' basis was concluded with the PSU in August 1987, after a delay of over 29 months. The tanker was scheduled to be delivered by December 1991, but the construction was yet to be completed as of November 1995.
Meanwhile, the cost of the tanker increased from Rs 65 crores to Rs 207 crores, which was agreed to by the Ministry in December 1993 and the revised date of delivery was re-fixed as June 1996. However, no revised sanction for the price agreed had been issued as of November 1995. The PSU had also been paid an amount of Rs 143.64 crores as of March 1995 against the original sanction ofRs 65 crores.
An analysis of the original estimates of Rs 65 crores vis-a-vis the revised cost of Rs 207 crores revealed that barring Rs 17.79 crores which was due to initial under-estimation of material cost, the increase of Rs 124.21 crores was mainly due to increase in material and labour cost and variations in exchange rate/duties which arose mainly from the abnormal delay in the construction of the tanker.
Thus, the tanker required to enhance the operational capability of Navy was yet to be made available 10 years after its need was established and more than four years after it was scheduled to be delivered. An expenditure of Rs 78.64 crores had also been incurred without sanction of Government.
INS Aditya, a 24,612 ton displacement Fleet Replenishment Tanker, was commissioned into the Indian Navy at Kolkata on April 3, 2000. INS Aditya was indigenously built by M/S Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd, Calcutta. The ship is 172 metres in length and can achieve a speed of 20 knots at a dead weight displacement of 1700 tons. The hallmark of its features is that it has an endurance of ten thousand nautical miles at a speed of 16 knots. She is powered by two Man B&W diesel engines of about 2000 HP each and can replenish four ships simultaneously with liquid and solid cargo. The ship has been equipped with a special facility for transferring solid cargo. The facility to carry integral helicopter gives her the added ability to cater to various contingencies such as search and rescue at sea and reconnaissance. The ship is equipped with close-in weapons namely guns and missiles for self-defence. The ship, on being commissioned, joined the Eastern Fleet under the operational command of the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command.
The name INS Aditya symbolises the sun- the source of all life on this planet. 'Aditya' is metaphor of the power of sustenance of the sun and bountiful energy. It encompasses the spirit of the ship : "Sustenance for Victory and Beyond". The ship is manned by 16 officers and 140 sailors.
|Displacement||Full - 35900|
|Endurance||(nm)||10000 at 16kts|
|Main Engine||2 X 11970 KW|
|Disel Generators||3 X 500 KW|
|Shaft Generetor||2 X 1500 KW|
|EMG. DA||2 X 500 KW|
|Aditya||A 59||Garden Reach||03 April 2000|