Commandant Riviere class (Avisos Escorteurs)
Classified as 'escorts' by the French navy, the seven 'Commandant Rividre' class frigates are diesel-engined warships designed in the 1950s. The first unit, Victor Schoelcher, was laid down in 1957 and the final one, Enseigne de Vaisseau Henry, was commissioned in 1965. Often deployed to the remnants of the French colonial empire in the Pacific and Indian Oceans, the 'Commandant Riviere' class were eventually fitted with four Exocet missiles, which made them versatile warships given their powerful anti-submarine armament. Commandant Riviere is now a sonar trials ship, stripped of most weapons and fitted with a towed array. Victor Schoelcher was sold to Uruguay in 1988, and two other units followed in 1990. The Exocet missiles and Dagaie decoy launchers were removed before transfer.
French Commandant Riviere Class frigate of 1750 tons displacement launched in 1960. She carries a crew of 150 ratings and nine officers and is powered by diesel engines providing a top speed of 25 knots and a range of 12000 km at 15 knots. She is armed with four Aerospatiale MM 38 Exocet anti-ship missiles; two DCN 100 mm/55 Mod 1953 automatic dual purpose guns; two Hispano Suiza 30 mm/70 guns; six 550 mm torpedoe tubes arranged in two triple arrangements taking the ECAN L3 anti-submarine torpedo; one Mortar 305 mm 4-barrelled anti-ship mortar.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|