T.S. Patriot State (T-AP 1000)
During its 13 training cruises, the T.S. Patriot State [II] carried Massachusetts Maritime Academy cadets south of the equator, to the Pacific Ocean and across the Mediterranean Sea. The ship provided the cadets more than 800 million training hours during its 150,000 miles of marine service.
The ship is of welded steel construction, full scantling type, single screw, machinery amidships, with raked stem and modified cruiser stern. The main hull is subdivided by seven watertight transverse bulkheads with three holds forward and two holds aft of the machinery space. The vessel meets the Maritime Administration requirements for a two-compartment ship. There are three complete decks in the hull, with platforms and deep tank tops at various levels. The A, Promenade, Sun and Bridge Decks and the house top form the midship house, which extends for approximately one-third of the ship's length. Provision was made for carrying bananas or palletized cargo in holds 1, 3 and 4, and carrying of containers in holds 2 and 5, and in one cell group in holds 3 and 4. Automobiles could be carried in holds 3 and 4.
The vessel is single screw with geared turbine propelling machinery located in the machinery space amidships. The steam cycle employed uses a high-efficiency, cross-compound turbine, four stages of regenerative feed heating, and high-efficiency boilers fitted with rotary regenerative air heaters. This basic cycle arrangement is one which has demonstrated satisfactory performance and reliability on a number of American ships, such as the Barrett Class MSTS transports (Bay State, Empire State and State of Maine.)
The Patriot State [II] was the latest in a line of training vessels stretching back to the Enterprise in 1893. The Patriot State [II], originally named Santa Mercedes, was built in 1965 as a single screw cargo passenger vessel for Grace Line, Inc. The design is a C4-S1-49a. The vessel was built at the Sparrows Point Shipyard of Bethlehem Steel Company at Baltimore, Maryland. The Santa Magdalena, the first of the class, was delivered to Grace Line on February 4, 1965. She was the first of four cargo-passenger ships of remarkably modern and progressive design. The sister vessels included the Santa Mariana, Santa Maria, Santa Mercedes and were destined to play an important role in promoting closer ties within the Americas, carrying passengers and cargo between Atlantic Coast ports in the United States and the Canal Zone, Columbia, Ecuador, and Peru.
The Santa Mercedes was obtained by the Massachusetts Maritime Administration in the spring of 1984 for conversion to a training ship for the Massachusetts Maritime Academy. Conversion was accomplished in two phases. The activation phase, including changing the ship's name, was accomplished by the Triple A Shipyard in San Francisco. The vessel was then towed to Bender Shipyard, Mobile, Alabama for the conversion phase. On 7 September 1985, the Patriot State was turned over to the Academy.
The U.S. Maritime Administration decided in early 1999 that corrosion to the 547-foot-long ship's hull would have been too expensive to repair.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|