AGSS-570 was projected as an experimental submarine in the early 1950s -- the award went to Electric Boat Co, Groton CT which took fifteen months to construct her. She was commissioned as T-1 (no name) in October 1953, operated out of Key West, FL, and was named Mackerel in July 1956.
MACKEREL participated in fleet exercises off the east coast, mainly conducting training and target assignments, including some for the Fleet Sonar School at Key West. She made several cruises testing new equipment for submarines. After more training and target cruises into the late 1950's, she tested acoustical developments for submarine hulls in waters near the British West Indies in the summer of 1963. She again operated in the West Indies in February 1964, performing similar tasks.
She received new equipment at Groton in the spring of 1966 and headed south, arriving at Key West on 26 June. There, MACKEREL conducted experimental work to acquire data to be used in the development of future Navy submarines. After finishing this assignment in March 1967, the submarine had some of her special equipment removed, and she resumed operations at Key West for the Fleet Sonar School.
MACKEREL acted as a target for surface and air ASW forces off the Florida coast and in the Caribbean during the late 1960's and into the 1970's. Sometime in 1971, MACKEREL was commissioned. She provided target and training services for antisubmarine warfare units of the Atlantic Fleet in the Key West and the Mayport/Jacksonville operating areas in 1971 and 1972. She made her last dive on 21 July 1972. She remained in reduced-complement status from that day until 31 January 1973 but, nevertheless, conducted junior officer and midshipmen training regularly through October 1972. Marlin (SST-2) was laid down by Electric Boat Division, General Dynamics Corp., Groton, Conn., 1 May 1952; launched 14 October 1953; sponsored by Mrs. William R. DeLoach; and commissioned as T-2 on 20 November 1953, Lt. Edward Holt in command. After shakedown in the Massachusetts Bay area, T-2, one of the smallest operational submarines ever built for the Navy, got underway from New London, Conn., in late January 1954 for her home port of Key West, Fla. Assigned to Submarine Squadron 12, Submarine Force, Atlantic Fleet, she immediately began operations in the sector from southern Florida to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. For a decade and a half she has performed valuable service as a target and training ship and has helped to evaluate submarine and antisubmarine equipment and tactics. In addition to target and training duty for the Fleet Sonar School at Key West, the submarine has participated in various fleet operations. In 1955, from 7 March to 4 April, T-2 joined her sister ship, T-1 (now Mackerel), Amberjack (SS-522), Batfish (SS-310), and Chivo (SS-341), along with a task force under Commander, Mine Force, in participating in mine warfare maneuvers. Renamed Marlin 15May 1956, the submarine deployed to Guantanamo Bay for services to the Fleet Training Group in January 1956, July and August 1958, March 1960, and December 1961. In March 1963 Martin participated in the NSIA demonstration. From 1963 she performed mainly target duty for both surface and air antisubmarine units out of Key West.
MACKEREL and her sister MARLIN (SST-2) were decommissioned on 31 January 1973 in a dual ceremony at the Naval Station, Key West, Fla.; and both were struck from the Navy list on the same day. MACKEREL was subsequently scrapped.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|