The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military


SS-31 G-3 Turbot

Turbot (Submarine No.31) was the third of the G-boats designed by Lake and authorized in FY1910. She shared the 161-foot hull form of G-1 and G-2. She was laid down by Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport CT in March 1911. In November 1911 she was renamed G-3. G-3 did not join the fleet until March 1915, having been delivered to New York Navy Yard for completion on 31 December 1913. Lake had declared bankruptcy in November 1913 after completion of G-1.

G-3 was designed with one extra bow and stern torpedo tube (in comparison to G-2) for a total of four bow and two stern tubes and two additional torpedoes could be carried, for a total of ten. After trials in April 1915 she was found to lack reserve bouyancy and stability; sponsons were installed to correct this problem. During World War One she conducted patrol duties in the New London area in defense of German U-boats then continued schoolship and experimental duties in the area thereafter. She was decommissioned in May 1921 and sold for scrap.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 22-07-2011 17:42:04 ZULU