SS-27 G-2 Tuna
Tuna (Submarine No.27) was the second of the Lake designed G-boats and was authorized in FY1909. Lake offered two designs that year, a 135-foot design and a 161-foot design which was similar to that of G-1 (ex-Seal). The Navy accepted the former design, which surprised Lake who expected to profit on using a similar hull form to G-1 (which was 161-feet long), so he offered the 161-foot design for the 135-foot price and the Navy accepted his offer. The major difference in design was that the four external tubes were dropped, one was added to the bow (internal) and one to the stern (internal); this would be the first internal stern tube in US submarines.
Tuna was laid down at Lake Torpedo Boat Co, Bridgeport CT in October 1909, was renamed G-2 in 1911 and commissioned far behind schedule in February 1915. Lake had declared bankruptcy on 6 November 1913. Her trials were not completed until December 1915 and in March 1916 she would enter the shipyard for extensive modifications which lasted until June 1917 when she reported to the submarine flotilla at New London. She remained there awaiting further installations until August 1917 when she proceeded with experimental work on the US east coast. In June and July 1918 she conducted defensive patrols against U-boats. Following the armistice, she experimented with magnetic detectors and the Very System Signal device and tested the strength of her hull against depth charge explosions. Concurrently, she trained student officers in cooperation with the Experimental Station at New London. Decommissioned in April 1919, she was designated a target for depth charges and ordnance nets in Niantic Bay CT. During one such test, on 30 July 1919, she sank unexpectedly taking three men with her. Her hulk was partially raised for scrapping in 1962.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|